Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I give them away! Many to my family and friends, most to the card ministry at my church. My pleasure comes in making them and sharing them on SCS, and hopefully most will land in a place where they will be enjoyed. I don't worry about how many of them end up in the trash. Plenty, I am sure!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #42  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

[quote=Julie in Indy;13136217]Oh heavens, yes! I do give them away! And I don't usually think about beyond that. In fact, there have been times when someone thanks me personally and I can't even remember what the card looked like (please don't tell me that is age-related - haha).

quote]

Oh, man it could be age related, because someone will be describing a card I made for them and I know I have a dumb look on my face that says, "what are they talking about!" I've started taking picutures of my cards so I can come home at try to figure what I made!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by chispiritView Post
How many of you really give your cards away???? And if you do,
do you ever think about how much time you spend on one card and it might end up in the trash??
LOL! I guess to me it's just not half as much fun to keep 'em, as it is to give 'em away and know they made someone happy!

And, well, yeah, sure! Some will end up in the trash; people can't keep everything . . . some folks aren't sentimental about things like cards, and others will hang onto every card they ever received in their entire life. I had my fun makin', and snailin'/givin'--that's good 'nuff for me! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm like a lot of the other ladies here. I make all my cards to give away and typically with that person in mind. What they do with it after they get it is really up to them. I know that my cards are "valued" as people thank me for the extra effort I put into making them a card and I often see "my" cards sitting on their desks or tacked up to a bulletin board so I think they really liked it. It does irk me when someone seems completely oblivious to the fact that the card was homemade and "special," but oh well...that's their loss!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #45  
Gabfest Goddess

I give all my cards away! My husband is a pastor and so "he" (me) sends out the cards to people in the church -- birthday, get well, missing you, etc... It doesn't matter to me if they throw them away. Making the cards is my therapy!! I even told a girl who was just getting into scrapbooking to remember to take the card apart and save the good stuff for herself before she threw it away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #46  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I give away ALL my cards. I send them out for all kinds of holidays and occasions, plus I send thinking of you ones to people in my church on our prayer list. I also give packs away as gifts. They are very well-received (they all know to expect them as gifts and really look forward to it, which is very flattering!).

At first I used to think about them ending up in the trash, especially since I'm a "waste not, want not" kind of girl. But now I don't care. I just have so much fun making them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 635 Likes on 361 Posts

I enjoy making them so much that it is hard to give them away if I only have one of a certain card so I just need to make more of each. I do send out my cards, though. I mailed out several Valentine cards and if they are trashed, so be it. I did have someone tell me how much she loved the Valentine card she got and said she would keep it forever. She told me it meant much more to her than a store bought card so that made me feel good. I am sure everyone does not feel that way...but this is o.k. I'll keep making and mailing.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #48  
Crimping Master

I do (give away cards, I mean), and I kind of figure that eventually, it will end up in the trash, but the warm fuzzy feeling the recipient got, knowing that I spent time to make something just for them, doesn't get thrown out. So I'm ok with that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

I give away about 98% of my cards. I know that some people immediately throw them away - and actually that doesn't even bother me anymore. Lately I have been getting into using card fronts that I make, others make or even those that I have received (not handmade) and reuse them adding embellishments, changing them slightly etc. And, I plan to give them to a nursing home or assisted living center to use for others.

Sometimes I send a card, don't sign it on the card itself and instead insert the saying/sentiment/note whatever with an extra envelope and encourage people to pass it on to someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I give away 98% of my cards also. I have friends and family who save all the ones they get. I have a granddaughter who has every card I've made her since I started making cards 8 years ago. If people through them away, oh well, once I send it they can do whatever they want with it.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

Whats the point of making them if you don't give them to anyone? I love giving them to people its half the fun Stamping is a really good hobby is that it benefits other people as well as yourself.
Lauren x
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #52  
Glitter Queen

I need the idea, to whom I will give a card to make one. Though I don`t have a stock to use and giving all away that I made. I don`t have any problems with thinking about the time I needed to made it, because I enjoy the process of making it so much and I kind of seeing the face of the presentee while opening the card I made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #53  
Inking Addict

I love the idea of recycling the cards I get and I am ok with knowing that my cards won't be kept forever, thats why I take pictures of my favorite projects. I love the feeling I get when I give someone something that I made, its so exhilirating. Hope everyone else feels that too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

I give away all my cards...that's what they are for. I have a small family and sometimes I feel they end up with a lot of cards. I've told family and friends that the intent is to enjoy them NOT BE BURDENED with them. I say hang 'em up or set them out and when you are done do not feel in any way that you must keep them. Throw them out if you so choose. I know my daughter is NOT a keeper but she does choose to keep my cards.....So that is nice but not a requirement of receiving my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I give all of my cards away. I either send them to family members or friends, or to the stampers on the RAK list I belong to.

Nope, don't think about how much time I put into each because I enjoy making them. And if it brings a smile to the recipient's face when they open it, it's all worth it. No matter how much time lapses between them receiving it and tossing it in the trash.
YES!! Your answer makes sense to me!

Why would anyone worry about whether people keep their cards after they have served their purpose- which is to send a message? Do you also worry about people keeping presents after those have served their usefulness? (Gee, Mom, I cannot believe you threw away my Christmas present just because you used it up/wore it out/didn't need it anymore/it was empty.)

That said, I keep all the special cards I get in a pretty box- but that's me and everyone who knows me knows I am a total packrat. I also still have most of the letters I have received all my life.

As for the OP question, I send out all the cards I make- eventually. I'm much better at making them than actually getting them to the Post Office, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

I love sending my cards to my FIL. He loves them all. Yesterday was his birthday, and he doesn't like advertising it. I am one of the few ppl he will allow to say anything, simply because he knows he's going to get a card. Making masculine cards is hard though, so I always make at least 2 of each. For people who I know who aren't going to cherish them, I send them a duplicate. That way I agonize over the details on the cards ppl are going to appreciate, but I have cards to send to everyone I need to and I don't spend extra time on them (and they still look fabulous).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

I give away 99.9% of mine. I keep some of my latest-greatest on a little clothesline in front of me so I repeat if I like, then as they get old, they get sent out also. I URGE my recipients to "regift" them rather than let them sit in a box somewhere.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, yes! I give them and send them. Here is why: a few years ago I had a wonderful male principal. I supplied the card for my grade-level for his birthday. He complimented me. Several weeks later while having a conversation in his office, I noticed my hand-made Christmas, Bosses' Day, and birthday cards on the shelf. I blurted out, "You saved my cards??" He replied, "They are beautiful. I have all of them!" We are both in different jobs now, but have remained family friends. This year I apologized for not sending a birthday card because we got caught up in family medical emergencies with FIL. He asked if it was one of my handmade ones. When I said it was, he said, "Send it anyway!"

Isn't it amazing how one kind word can make a difference?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #59  
Crimping Master

I actually give all my cards away!

It doesn't bother me at all once I send them out.....it's up to the indivdual if they want to keep them or not..........

It comes from my heart ...to theirs!!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #60  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I give my cards away, otherwise what's the point in making them. Often, I'll save some of my favorite cards and keep to look for just a bit longer.
But I'm always making new ones, and there's no point hoarding them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #61  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh yes, I definitely give mine away....have never sold any. I don't think about what happens to them afterwards...that's up to the recipients, but I've been told by several friends that they have everyone I've ever given to them. I keep those I receive from fellow card makers too. I appreciate the thought and time that goes into each one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #62  
Mad Swapper

I find joy in making the cards and when I send/give a card I find joy in the giving and my desire is to give that joy to them. So I get double the joy, first in the making and then in the giving. I don't keep all the cards I receive except the one's from my DH, so I don't expect the recipients to do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

I give away almost all the cards I make. I see it as therapy and fun for me and a gift for them. I usually put a paper insert inside with my sentiments on them....that way they can re-use the card, if they want. It really doesn't matter to me what they do with it. It is my gift to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #64  
Glitter Queen

I give all mine away; I've never sold them - don't think they're good enough for that! Most of my cards are given to people in the church through our card ministry.
Someone said something about some poeple not being "worthy" of getting a card. lol I would agree. I had a family member make underhanded comments about my cards when I was new and REALLY not so good. So now I reserve my "mistakes" for her
Also, it has amazed me that even people (1 or 2) in the church have made negative comments about the card minisrty. C'mon!! How low do you have to stoop to be negative about a personalized, handmade greeting card???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #65  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

I give mine away too.....biggest receivers have been troops--but family and friends receive also. I enjoy making them...as others have said, it is stress relief and fun......

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 354 Likes on 259 Posts

Here's a twist on this question..Do you throw out your own cards when you receive them?? I make cards for my family to send out (thank you's, thinking of you, birthday, other occasions) and sometimes they will send me a thank you and use one of my own cards..It's a real compliment to me seeing my own work..("oh, I've forgotten about this one", "Gee I'm so much more advanced in my card making now") and knowing that they are using something they deem as "special" and sending it to me. They've told me that they don't just send my cards to anyone..For me it's fun to see the card again and sometimes I want to hang on to it but I usually end up throwing it. I kind of hate to do it but I can't save everything. It's a real honor though when a friend has told me they framed one of my cards or they've saved them and shown them to their friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

I give all my cards away. I come from a large family so it takes alot of stamping and i love it! I make cards for all occasions. I belong to a tray guild and the women are always asking me why i spend so much time and effort in making my cards? Most of the patients will not even see them! I tell them i make the cards for the one that does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

It's either spend $5 on a card and it gets thrown away or spend $5 on supplies MAKE a card, enjoy making it, send it to someone who displays it for a while and then throws it away. I don't mind; my $5 went a lot further than buying a store-bought card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

Default Life is too short........

I don't worry about stuff like that anymore. I make them and give them away as gifts or send them out to family/friends for birthdays.

This is a hobby I like to do for other people when I have the time. I also copy my card fronts so when I get a creative block, I can get some ideas.

Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Since I give away thousands every year, I think I am pretty much over the fact that they might throw it away. It is like with anything you give to anyone, they could dispose of it after you leave or they get home or whatever and you would never know it. So yes...I just let them go happily to new homes.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #71  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I give many away -- although, if you looked in my craft room, you would doubt that I give ANY away! LOL! Many people who receive my cards tell me they never throw any of them away. A lot of my cards go to the assisted living facility where my mom lives. The activity director tells me that the residents love getting them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #72  
Kookie Creator

I have no problem giving my cards away. Most cards I make are for a specific person's specific occassion. I am trying to work on having a small stash around for last minute things though. I don't mind if someone throws out my card just as long as they don't make some dumb comment about hand made cards being cheap. There are several family members that are materialistic and therefore not worth of my hard work. They only get a 99cent store bought card or cheaper (2 for a $1) from me. My little way of telling them how stupid i think they are!
My only regret in giving away some cards has been not remembering to take a picture of the card for my records.
I don't mind if someone gets rid of my cards, but I have kept every card I have ever received because that's just part of my packrat personality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #73  
Inking Addict

I understand wanting to have pictures of them, its hard to not want to keep some form of my project documented. Sadly our camera died a few months ago and I've been surviving by others taking pictures until we get the camera replaced. I actually had a small breakdown where I couldn't make any more cards because I knew I wouldn't be able to remember them. But my DH was really nice and understanding about it. Does anyone else ever have this problem sometimes or am I unusual?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't really see any point in making cards and keeping them. I couldn't care less what the recipient does with it. My only hope is that if it does get discarded, it goes into a recycling bin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #75  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I give ALL mine away except for a few "stylized" challenge cards...I usually make mine with someone specific in mind. My theory is, when you give a gift, give it with your heart. It really doesn't matter what the recipient does with it after that...it is, after all, a gift.
Charlene -My Gallery
My blog: www.paperandinkplayground.com My shop: thepapersandbox.etsy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #76  
Vintage Vixen

I make cards to give to other people, not to just hold onto them myself. Most of the time I don't even make a duplicate, although I do make a color copy of each card and take a digital photo.

I do reserve my best cards for a few select people, who I know always keep my cards. I don't fret about the others because I don't sweat the small stuff. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes