Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
Thank you for posting this...so I checked it out, and ironically, BG is NOT even on the list! Says the last time it was updated was 2013! WAY too many of these abbreviations though...just spell it out...please!

Right, I had said the list included *commonly used* abbreviations. People posted they didn’t know what BG was and the original poster (OP) nicely apologized.

It would be considerate to type the word with the abbreviation in parentheses for repeats in the post or thread. On the other hand, keeping a little cheat sheet of extremely common ones could also help if there’s trouble remembering.

It’s just how forums and texting evolved because of typing on mobile devices without a real keyboard.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The only backgrounds I have are alcohol inks, because when I get to playing with those, I just keep playing. And I keep them with my alcohol inks. I also keep every single scrap of those, because I use every single bit of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #43  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post
Haha I've got you all beat. I thought she meant Basic Grey at first! lolol
And I was gonna answer yes because I am still using Basic Grey 12x12 collection paper. :p

Hahaha that is hilarious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a little rabbit trail here, but not entirely... abbreviations really bug me sometimes. Like in a text. Really, how long does it take to type ‘you’. Does it have to be shortened to ‘u’? And there are a host of others. But that’s another topic for another thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This is a fun thread. I was looking through my BG box the other day & I realized I don't have any. None, Zero, all have been used. Need to make some more. Before I peeked in my box I was thinking I should stop making backgrounds because I don't use them. Empty box showed me I was really wrong.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't even begin to know how to count my BG's as I have stuff in various stages and types.

It helped that I took a milk crate and 2 gallon zip bags and sorted all manner of "stuff" into loose categories i.e. flowers, party, travel, etc. I put stickers, die cuts, stamped but not used items and just about anything else I had into the bags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I always have a small stash of backgrounds & this thread reminded me to go look at what I had for Christmas cards. I'm thrilled to say I actually get use a bunch of these on my card and they look fabulous! Sort of made my day with this discovery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 191 Posts

My primary crafting table is In Perpetual chaos. So I have not made any special backgrounds recently. But I am preparing for the mini virtual stamp night tomorrow night. The three challenges do not necessarily require special backgrounds but I may make some anyway so I have them are the main rituals Camp night next month. It's really nice to have some fun backgrounds for the challenges so I can complete them more quickly.
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlyceceView Post
My primary crafting table is In Perpetual chaos. So I have not made any special backgrounds recently. But I am preparing for the mini virtual stamp night tomorrow night. The three challenges do not necessarily require special backgrounds but I may make some anyway so I have them are the main rituals Camp night next month. It's really nice to have some fun backgrounds for the challenges so I can complete them more quickly.

Gee, all the time I spend here and I didn’t know that was tomorrow night. Sometimes I’m clueless. Where was it announced?

ETA: Never mind, I found it. Too late for me I think but have fun!

Last edited by bjeans; 11-14-2019 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #50  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Gee, all the time I spend here and I didn’t know that was tomorrow night. Sometimes I’m clueless. Where was it announced?

It's been linked in the newsletter for about a month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

You don't have to play LIVE, so consider joining us later!

There are just 3 challenges for the Mini, the main VSN is Dec 13 & 14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh my word...I used voice recognition for the post about my table...

Main Rituals Camp Night??

Sounds like an R.L. Stine episode of Goosebumps!

:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I thought the exact same thing the first time I read it (bg stamps vs actual backgrounds) - glad I'm not alone in that AND the "no, I don't have any of those" club...!

Me too - on both accounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #54  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Thank you BJeans for trying.

I will apologize again about BG. (background) I really thought that is a very known one. I have not been around stamping for 40 years either.

I might point out the big clues there were "made" (also in the title line) and "from tutorials, challenges" and "people can say they made them 3 years ago"... so I have to say I do think it was pretty obvious I was asking about something you had MADE. Not a mfg company or designer paper (DP)

I also had answered the question about what BG means in post # 10, so pretty quickly.

Well I guess now we can say you will never forget what BG means. LOL

I do sigh when people email me and type in texting abbreviations which they use to save on limited characters, and clearly can not break the habit. I have proven more than once we don't have such constraints here. LOL I have memory issues (not joking) so all I can do is say I will TRY to remember not to use abbreviations.

I am old enough to remember when people did not like us to use contractions like didn't or can't, etc. They wanted us to use full words. In some circles it was considered uneducated. If you watch Downton Abbey you will not hear them use them. (NO I am not THAT old LOL). Just a bit of trivia. One has to wonder what they would make of today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no made backgrounds stored. Usually when I make a background that I end up not using, it becomes scrap paper, or it gets cut up to make other stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Thank you BJeans for trying.

I will apologize again about BG. (background) I really thought that is a very known one. I have not been around stamping for 40 years either.

I might point out the big clues there were "made" (also in the title line) and "from tutorials, challenges" and "people can say they made them 3 years ago"... so I have to say I do think it was pretty obvious I was asking about something you had MADE. Not a mfg company or designer paper (DP)

I also had answered the question about what BG means in post # 10, so pretty quickly.

Well I guess now we can say you will never forget what BG means. LOL

I do sigh when people email me and type in texting abbreviations which they use to save on limited characters, and clearly can not break the habit. I have proven more than once we don't have such constraints here. LOL I have memory issues (not joking) so all I can do is say I will TRY to remember not to use abbreviations.

I am old enough to remember when people did not like us to use contractions like didn't or can't, etc. They wanted us to use full words. In some circles it was considered uneducated. If you watch Downton Abbey you will not hear them use them. (NO I am not THAT old LOL). Just a bit of trivia. One has to wonder what they would make of today.
I can't (can not) speak for anyone else, but my misunderstanding was 100% me, not you. You were as clear as a bell. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #57  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I always have a big stash. Sometimes I'll just spend the day making backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #58  
Kookie Creator

As I'm moving things around, settling into new space, etc., in the Cave, I've found some other BG's I have. I don't usually think of them as such, but they clearly are. Mostly it comes from me playing with new product - alcohol inks, new water colors, in one case it was the powdered water colors from Nuvo. Fun stuff, just messy <G>. Once you start with those, you may as well just keep going to find out how they move and play together, on what kinds of mediums etc. Oh, and I have some new metallic inks from Spectrum Noir in sweet little jars to figure out next. Maybe with stencils, I'm thinking....
So that's how I end up with backgrounds without thinking that's what I'm doing. And they end up with the products I'm using as opposed to in a box of bakgrounds, so I never have one place to go and find them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 01:33 AM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- You are perfectly fine with your abbreviations. Don't you feel bad at all. Abbreviations, texting, etc... are the new linguistics. As all newer forms of linguistics through history there are learning curves & new etiquette rules.

All forums, no matter what the type of subject, abbreviations will change and update through the years. It is considered polite to use abbreviations in your e-correspondences. It is the new proper etiquette protocols for informal communications.

I always politely ask what the abbreviation means. I personally want to know so I can start using it too. I also don't want to be confused, lol.

On the note of Downton Abbey- I finally finished Season 6 tonight. Life has been so chaotic for me that I never could watch it. Been off the air for three years now but I bawled so hard thinking no more Abbey. I am ready for the movie to come out on DVD.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #60  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Thank you Binx and DeeAnn. I was prepared not to return to this thread but was told we are back on track again. I am learning from the answers and wish to continue. (why I asked)

1) Seems the overwhelming consensus is if you are going to do something messy make it worthwhile and make a bunch (while also having fun)

2) Though she has not been in here yet, I have learned from Susie Australia in the gallery don't throw out ones you don't like. Use black ink or paint and a stencil over it-it can look totally different and really cool.

2A) Or you might do dies cuts.

3) Sometimes we can work in reverse. Instead of finding a layer to match the focal image, we might color the focal to match the background layer.

4) Don't be afraid to cut up made panels: If you only like one part-then only use that one part.

5) Not all backgrounds have to be bold. Some can be quiet, lovely and soothing with a simple sentiment, or a great supporter of a focal image.

Storage is varied as is often the case with all our supplies; though the majority so far are in boxes or files near the designer paper (DP), cardstock (CS), or scraps with one saying she keeps with with the materials she made it with. Proving it is whatever works for you.

I look forward to what else people say.

I love period pieces so I was quite sad about Downton too, as I have been about a number of series like Foyle's War and Inspector Morse and many others. Downton however was special because of the visuals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #61  
Gallery Gazer

When a background is ugly, gems may be hidden within it. Eyeballing may work, but a view finder can make it easier. It can be an index card with a small rectangle or diamond (my preference) cut or die cut out of it. Or at least looking through the circle that can be made with thumbs and index fingers. Moving the view finder over the background eliminates the “noise” of the mess.

The ugliest alcohol inked background I’ve made and tossed in the trash became a favorite card after retrieving it, cutting it into strips and adhering some of them to a pale green card front with enough white (green) space to keep it from looking heavy, while the swirls of the pattern still visually connected to each other. *The strips don’t have to be the same width.*

I learned to get serious about finding hidden gems at a Gelli plate class. We were making folded index card books bound with linen tape. I tossed scrap copy paper with paint splotches on it that was protecting the table into the recycling bin. The instructor yelled not to dare throw that out. Retrieved, she pointed out neat areas. One part became the cover to the book.

Now it’s automatic, a scavenger hunt.

And very much yes to keeping the uglies for die cutting. The die can be the view finder.

Last edited by bjeans; 11-17-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Oh, one more: (full) cover die cuts on top of an ugly background may transform a background from ugly to beautiful. White or black has worked nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #63  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got several panels from a DTGD technique fail. I added more paint and went from ugly to strange and interesting and perfect to die cut fall leaves. The negative panel is now really cool and I'm searching for the perfect things to back it with.

Both Susie and Susan (One4Joy) have inspired me to stencil over the ugly. I've got a couple of panels waiting for the right stamps or die cuts.

Thank you WJ for starting this thread and for the nice synopsis of good practices!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
I've got several panels from a DTGD technique fail. I added more paint and went from ugly to strange and interesting and perfect to die cut fall leaves. The negative panel is now really cool and I'm searching for the perfect things to back it with.

DTGD?

Joni, confuzzled
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #65  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
DTGD?

Joni, confuzzled
Thanks for asking, sorry I didn't spell it out. DTGD is the Dare to Get Dirty annual Fan Club challenge. We do have a lot of acronyms on Splitcoaststamper. ;) The challenges are typically referred to by their keywords.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
Thanks for asking, sorry I didn't spell it out. DTGD is the Dare to Get Dirty annual Fan Club challenge. We do have a lot of acronyms on Splitcoaststamper. ;) The challenges are typically referred to by their keywords.
Thanks - when I asked Cortana about it - I got lots of Splitcoast referrals but no spelled out answers! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
Thanks - when I asked Cortana about it - I got lots of Splitcoast referrals but no spelled out answers! LOL!

lol And this year anyone could play. There are about a million challenges every day for a week. Very few do them all. And DTGD threads for each challenge. And prizes. I participated for the first time this year and was shocked at how much faster ideas came than usual and how much more quickly I worked due to the parameters/limitations of each challenge. Eye opening. :shock: Next year be there, please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

The majority of my BG’s are to create die cuts.

I keep ugly boo boos. Those are my trash to treasure. A lot of times it becomes a treasure instead of trash. There is nothing to lose. I was going to throw it away anyway.

Storage- My BG’s are kept in a photo box. Some I keep loose and others I group in categories and keep them in sandwich bags.

If time will allow it ths year I am thinking of entering the challenges. I know my art will be quirky, lol. I don’t expect much. I love doing tutorials and I need some really good tutorials and challenges. Life has been crazy the past couple of years. I want my new decade to be filled with fun relaxing art.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 02:49 AM   #69  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

Quirky art? That's my favorite kind! Please do join our challenges. We'd love to see your work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
The majority of my BG’s are to create die cuts.

I keep ugly boo boos. Those are my trash to treasure. A lot of times it becomes a treasure instead of trash. There is nothing to lose. I was going to throw it away anyway.

Storage- My BG’s are kept in a photo box. Some I keep loose and others I group in categories and keep them in sandwich bags.

If time will allow it ths year I am thinking of entering the challenges. I know my art will be quirky, lol. I don’t expect much. I love doing tutorials and I need some really good tutorials and challenges. Life has been crazy the past couple of years. I want my new decade to be filled with fun relaxing art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I probably only have a handful, as I make cards by theme, trying out as many different or old favorite techniques when a background is needed. That being said, when trying something new, it may take me 4 or 5 tries to get what I really want for the card I'm making. That does leave 4 or so backgrounds that may be usable for something other than what I had in mind. Also, sometimes I work on a larger piece of paper than I need for my card and have the extra to use. I try to make a few extra card to use up the surplus and give them to the various organizations that need cards. I may make a card to give (if I need a specific type), but use up my extras immediately. I had to leave on a trip right after making all my Christmas cards this year, so do have about 5 to use up. I wrote the technique and colors used on the backs, so I could record that when I finally used it on a card and put it in my gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #71  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I probably only have a handful, as I make cards by theme, trying out as many different or old favorite techniques when a background is needed. That being said, when trying something new, it may take me 4 or 5 tries to get what I really want for the card I'm making. That does leave 4 or so backgrounds that may be usable for something other than what I had in mind. Also, sometimes I work on a larger piece of paper than I need for my card and have the extra to use. I try to make a few extra card to use up the surplus and give them to the various organizations that need cards. I may make a card to give (if I need a specific type), but use up my extras immediately. I had to leave on a trip right after making all my Christmas cards this year, so do have about 5 to use up. I wrote the technique and colors used on the backs, so I could record that when I finally used it on a card and put it in my gallery.
The blue words above? Ditto almost always. Later they may be cut into strips, die cut, even used as is.
Reply With Quote Likes