Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you beat the heat

Hi everyone. Hope you are staying cool. It's another hot one here on Long Island (NY). How do you all stamp with this heat? I don't have A/C in the dining room where my work had been getting done. The humidity is high and the paper is just absorbing each drop of it! The paper is so damp its not even sticking with my variety of tapes and adhesives.

So...how do you beat the heat and keep on stamping?
Hugs to all
Paula
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Can't give you any advice on this. I am quite happy in Western Alberta where the humidity can be a problem (we have a dehumidifier, and it has been used quite a bit in the last few weeks), I can't imagine humidity could be that high.

When we do find it getting rather hot or humid, we live in the basement. Is this a possibility for you?

val
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stay inside. We Texans insist on having central heat and air! Northerners always think we are better at handling the heat, but we really just avoid it. So, my suggestion is to get A/C...at least a window unit. I'd say "hugs" but it's too hot to hug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Val...nope no basement.
Kikikaren....nope no a/c option at this time.
And that brings us back to how happy I am going to be when my office is completed this fall where a/c is in the wall and ready to go whenever I am.
Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
I stay inside. We Texans insist on having central heat and air! Northerners always think we are better at handling the heat, but we really just avoid it. So, my suggestion is to get A/C...at least a window unit. I'd say "hugs" but it's too hot to hug.
KIKI, same with me in Miami. Stay in the A/C! In my Studio I have a fan on the floor circulating the air. I usually have a fan on[besides the A/C] for my club meetings. My customers and I are mature women, who are HOT!

good luck, our summers are loooong.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

We had some pretty bad heat this past week, I just stay insided and I keep the a/c running. My house isn't that big so the 3 air conditioners keep it pretty cool. Of course I don't run them all day and all night long, I'll shut them off once it cools off in the evening. My house gets really hot at about 5pm when the sun hits the back side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #7  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Fans and hope they help. I would get two floor...good size and one stand up...o sorry you are dealing with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

AC 24/7 here in Western Kansas....of course it helps that we rarely have to worry about humidity......no rain, no groundwater means dry air.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Live inland in Northen California. We get 100+ temperatures in the summer so full house a/c is a must. I do have ceiling fans in my family room, kitchen and all bedrooms so try to use them as much as I can to save on energy. I have 2 cats - one that is about 17+ yrs old and is taken to the vet twice a week to be hydrated - so when they start lying on the tile in the entryway, I do turn on the a/c. One thing we say, 'at least it is dry heat'. Can't see how you can live where the humidity is high. Went to Fla one Aug with my family, we really had problems with the high humidity. My daughter stated, 'Going swimming in the pool wasn't refreshing because when you go out, the moisture did not evaporate!'

Sorry you don't have a/c in your crafting area. The first we lived in didn't have full house a/c so we turn a box fan on in the bedroom to move the air in order to sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

It's been hot here in NE Ohio as well--and our A/C went out last weekend--over the holiday weekend! (I broke down and went to WalMart to purchase a small window unit to help since the living room was 97 in the late afternoon!) Apparently, everyone in NE Ohio had the same issue and it took until Wednesday to get someone in to let us know the unit is "toast." URGH

So, this Wednesday we are getting a new unit--just in time for 90 to hit again on Thursday! While it is taking all of my stamping $ for quite some time, it will be worth it to be cool. (Even the basement--where my craft room is--has been a bit warmer than I'd like it!)

Looking forward to the weekend with A/C!

I guess all I can say about you not having A/C is that it's just plain hot! Maybe instead of stamping, get all the other "stuff" done that could keep you from stamping so that when it cools off a bit you have all the time you want to stamp without any guilt for letting other things go! Or you could sit outside in the shade with a tall glass of lemonade and browse through magazines and make sketches of what you want to stamp when you can stamp again comfortably!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Air conditioning is the best. Central air to be specific. Our upstairs is cool, the basement is downright chilly - just how I like it! Living in Kansas you HAVE to have it. Today's forecast - 94 with "horribly humid" conditions, making it feel like 100+. Tomorrow's actual temp - 98, who knows what the heat index will be.

FWIW, I spent all last week getting ready for a horse show at our barn - outside in the heat. We had a lot of rain, so it was extra humid, too. Yesterday was the first day in a week I haven't sweated profusely for at least 12 hours. I feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm in Minnesota and the heat isn't too bad but I still run my central air all summer. I guess we get used to being frozen all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi!
Can you get yourself a dehumidfier? They are kinda expensive and bulky but they take the moisture out of the air. There's two kinds I think, one that you hook up to the Central heating system and one that is portable on wheels. It's cool downstairs in my basement as there is only one window but if it gets damp I turn on the dehumidfier on intervals and it keeps things drier. Like the other gals said, maybe you might have to do some other crafting stuff while your paper is damp.

Oh, I just had a thought.... you know those dry-pacs you get with dried stuff and in new shoes.... dessicate packs. Could you collect a bunch of them and put them in a sealing plastic box/ or zip lock bag to fit your cardstock in. You would have to put your specific sheets that your are going to glue together and let them absorb the moisture out before you glue them. Might take a day or so but if you needed to make a birthday card soon.

It's been raining cats and dogs here for a couple of days and my hair is really curly so I'm sure the cardstock is going to be curly too~ Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a basement studio and central air, but we used a dehumidifier in the basement of our first house. It was old and always damp. It amazed me how great that dehumidifier worked. In the summer, I would use the water that collected in the dehumidifier to water my flowers that were in pots on the porch. I think that sounds like your best bet!

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #15  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We moved from Western NY (near Buffalo) just two years ago. The temps were not generally too bad, but the humidity killed me. I could barely breathe. Those 'heat index' numbers mean a lot to you folks in those type climates.

Now we are in Colorado, along the front range. Living at a high altitude, I am learning that 80 degrees (even with limited humidity) is almost worse than 90 degrees. You'd be amazed at how much hotter it feels when you are a mile closer to the sun!

It's funny, because I grew up in California and we had temps in the 90s and 100s almost every summer, yet we never had air-conditioning. We just learned to slow down and drink lots of liquids during the hottest part of the day and do the physical activities during the early and late hours. For the last 20 yrs I've lived in air-conditioned homes. I think I'm spoiled.

As for stamping, my studio is in the upper southwest corner of our house to it gets sun nearly all day and especially during the hottest part, so I just stay out of there during the middle of the day.

BTW, it's 95 already @ 12:30pm today. It's going to be a late night stamping kinda day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

A/C here too, but we don't need it all that much in Vancouver. However, it has been hot this past while and we are glad of it especially at night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Move to Arizona and you don't have to worry with the humidity!!! You just have to deal with 115 degree heat!!! But, I grew up on the east coast so will take the dry heat ANYDAY over the 90 degree heat and humidity on the east coast!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

I live in Georgia, but am not from this area (home is Illinois). It's mighty hot here, too much for me. I stay inside and try to get out in the evening hours if it isn't too still. It's not too hard staying inside this year, my DD had hip surgery on Jun 24th. She will be getting the other hip done in several weeks, so we are kind of stuck here inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Just recently got a geo-thermo unit and the house is so lovely, plus my stamping room is in the basement and its super chilly down there and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I was down there all day to beat the heat. I have a lovely area set up with a TV and Living room area, so comfy.

Sorry you're so hot :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

We have central air AND a dehumidifier in our basement. The humidity in Missouri is terrible, especially today! The dehumidifier runs all the time during the summer. I have it on in the winter but it doesn't run very much. I think A/C is probably the key to your problem with the paper. Sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #21  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

We have the a/c running 24-7 in Jacksonville right now...the home temp is set at 80 and the a/c hasn't turned off in 61 days...I don't want to tell you how much my electric bill was last month....

For the adhesive issue, Tape Runners just do not work in our heat. They RELEASE in the mail...And, my scrapbooks are FULL of embellishments at the BOTTOM of the pages being caught by the page protectors...It's sad. Also, Glue Dots are a dud, too.

HOWEVER....I have found that 3M's Double Sided Tape holds up to the heat! It stays tacky, doesn't dry out. It also sticks to HEAT EMBOSSED items. (the slick side!) And...I've used it to adhere NOT dry watercolor paper to card stock.

OH, and to keep cool??? Nothing like jumping through an ICY cold shower, DO NOT turn on the HOT water at all! On, and get your HAIR SOAKED! I do this 3+ times a day, and I'm postitive that's what keeps me going!
Reply With Quote Likes