Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Honest comment thread

I may be blind, but I haven't seen one of these threads in awhile. (Probably am blind. lol) I have several cards that have little to no comments, so I thought I'd post one to get some ideas for improvement.
Help!

Smile by navybrat75 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left a suggestion!!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I am browsing through the daily uploaded cards I will not leave a comment on any card that doesnt have even the barest information on it. If there is no info on stamps, cards or inks I just go on by. Even if I like it.
There are a huge amount of cards in the gallery today with no info.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been awhile since I uploaded but I know that unless I remember to put the details in the large blank area all the details that I do bother to type disappear when the photo is actually uploaded (at least if it goes to gallery for a specific set ... or gets moved there by a moderator.)

So, while it is much more fun to read what was used if I like the card I will still comment but might send a polite PM to the artist asking if she is able to share any info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Can I play?? I did something new today. I tried to make a scrappy card (one with less stamping and more scrapbooking supplies) and while I like the details of the card it seems to me that I made the card base too small and that the flower looks stumpy, lol. I would love to know what people think. I know I'm usually my own worst critic, so I thought I might try out this thread. I really want to get better at this type of card. Thanks so much

I should also add that I'm usually a very simple card maker so maybe I'm feeling like this card just has too much stuff on it for my liking.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by Tracy-Stamper; 07-18-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Well, you said be honest. Not leaving 'recipe' info is definitely a huge issue with many people on this site. There are even forums encouraging everyone not to leave comments if there is no info. I've had some really ugly cards but still got comments. Everyone here is really supportive as long as you try your best and share info.

Also, a great way to get lots of comments is to post a card on the day of the challenge. It makes a HUGE difference.

The other way to get comments is to give comments. Many times when you take the initiative to leave someone a comment they go to your gallery and return the favor.

I hope this helps. I am going to check out your gallery now. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy-StamperView Post
Can I play?? I did something new today. I tried to make a scrappy card (one with less stamping and more scrapbooking supplies) and while I like the details of the card it seems to me that I made the card base too small and that the flower looks stumpy, lol. I would love to know what people think. I know I'm usually my own worst critic, so I thought I might try out this thread. I really want to get better at this type of card. Thanks so much

I should also add that I'm usually a very simple card maker so maybe I'm feeling like this card just has too much stuff on it for my liking.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I think your card is great. Sometimes it's hard to get peeks unless you are doing on of the challenges. Soo many cards, so little time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
When I am browsing through the daily uploaded cards I will not leave a comment on any card that doesnt have even the barest information on it. If there is no info on stamps, cards or inks I just go on by. Even if I like it.
There are a huge amount of cards in the gallery today with no info.
Blessings.
I have to agree with Sprtchick; I tend to not leave a comment if the poster has not put any info as to what she used for the card. Even if you are not a newbie you like to see what product, paper, ink etc was used. JMO
My Stampin' UP! Site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

One more thing, too. It's not all about comments. Take a peek at how many people favorited your card. There are a lot of lurkers out there who don't post (which is absolutely ok because they love stamping! :-) ). Sometimes I have more people that favorited my card then left comments.

Just another thought. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I always try to list everything I used on a card. My problem is that I am trying to use up a huge stash of scrapping supplies and sometimes I have forgotten the maker of a product. I usually just mention that. Another issue is where to post the odd card that doesn't fit the galleries to chose from. This accordion birthday card I made is one of the ones that I just put in my member gallery because I don't know where it belongs.
Accordion card

Sorry didn't mean to high-jack the thread, off to leave some more comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Sometimes I just think something is "not my style," not that there's anything wrong with it really, KWIM? There are tons of cards in my gallery that have 1 or no comments. Some I wasn't surprised--others I thought would be a "hit" weren't, and then some I thought were just "okay" got more comments than anything LOL I guess you just never know...depends on who's on that day, probably.
An example:
Outlines technique with Noah by nottoocreative at Splitcoaststampers
Well, the main image takes up most of the card so I know there's not a lot to it otherwise, but I thought this technique was really cool and would get a lot more interest than it did...maybe it's just that you can't really get the effect in a photo?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

There are a lot of cards out there and it's pretty well impossible to get to them all. I try to leave comments whenever possible, pesky work gets in the way. lol I'm glad others have posted cards as well, that was a big part of the idea. I know I'm not the only one who loves getting comments and finding out what other people think. lol
As for the recipe card, I agree it can be frustrating when you want to CASE soemone's card and there's no information. I try not to post cards without them, I just couldn't remember it all when I put the card up and forgot about going back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, and thank you for all the lovely advice!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I may not be active here, so don't take offense when I say, it is sort of harsh to ENCOURAGE others not to post to a card they like if there isn't a recipe.
That is almost mean. I'm sort of shocked.
That said... I get very few comments and I do leave recipes... so maybe mine are just to dang ugly.
Anyway... seems like we should all be encouraged in our craft. Most of us buy from the same companies or if we really like something we could ask the person what stamp it is...
Everyone will do what they will... but WOW!
Navybrat, I'm off to look at your stuff.
emily
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinemView Post
I may not be active here, so don't take offense when I say, it is sort of harsh to ENCOURAGE others not to post to a card they like if there isn't a recipe.That is almost mean. I'm sort of shocked.
That said... I get very few comments and I do leave recipes... so maybe mine are just to dang ugly.
Anyway... seems like we should all be encouraged in our craft. Most of us buy from the same companies or if we really like something we could ask the person what stamp it is...
emily
I kind of thought that too. I've commented on lots of cards that had no recipes. And I will return the favor and check out your gallery!

I participated in an honesty gallery a couple of years ago and I think most found it fun and helfpul.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know what an honest gallery is... lol
I'm that new... lol
Anyway... I've still got a lot to check out.
Take care,
emily
p.s. my dad went to USNA. I am a Naval Brat too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I meant an honesty thread. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had some people tell me that the reason I don't have many comments is because I don't always list what I used. I am so bad about forgetting to write that down or go back and look. I sometimes will load the card and then add what I can remember.

I personally think it is a bit rude to not comment when there is nothing listed. I guess that is because I am so forgetful!!! I have a gallery so I can keep all that I make together. I am not even close to the talent found here but I have to start somewhere!

Now I am off to your gallery!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

SCS'ers are just too darn nice! KWIM? I would LOVE for others to tell me WHAT I'm doing wrong or if I'm totally missing the key to my cards. I haven't posted many because all that I have posted are my original creations. They aren't cased in any way. My regular cards are either cased from someone or I've gotten ideas for my own from others. I love making cards and something other. I'm still fighting with myself trying to get into scrapbooking. I've done a few pages, not cased, but it takes me FOREVER. I still need to add journaling to 3 I've done after a month.
I know.. I should just case more and do the challenges. I know it would help me tremendously.
So if ya'll have ANY suggestions, negative welcome, please post.
May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

BTTT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Hi.....it's been one year since I started posting. I couldn't figure out why some people got TONS of comments and my cards only got a few. I started challenging myself to work on cards that would get comments by looking at other's styles, current trends, layouts, and most of all CHALLENGES each day. I will post a card in the main gallery and post a similar card in a challenge......TONS more comments in a challenge, because your creation is being sent to all of the stampers in the challenge as well as being posted in the challenge gallery. It also gives you exposure to stampers who have a style similar to yours. A lot of the people who leave me comments are "regulars" to my gallery because we have similar tastes/styles, etc. or you just recognize a name of someone who left you a kind comment. I also have recently started to "pay it forward" by choosing a favorite of the day and posting them in the Favorites of the week forum featured on Sunday. Not sure if this long winded comment will help you.....but, take a peek at my gallery and look at the difference of my cards posted in the beginning, and the ones posted now- huge difference in just one year. Good luck, and keep challenging yourself! - Paige
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

'To be honest' it's sometimes hard to be honest as it discourages newbies.

No one has ever started out with perfect cards and if the comments are too honest it will put them off.

What we need is an encouragement gallery for newbees. Comments there could be 'constructive' rather than the more hurtful 'honest'.

Yvonne

Sorry about the repetition of 'honest'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Red face

I've been a member for 3 years, so feel free to tell me the truth, even if I might not like it. lol I asked for it!! And SouthernStorm you make a good point that SCSers are nice. I find it incredibly difficult to leave any kind of criticism, even when someone asks for it. Also agree with craftfairy that I don't want to discourage anyone, new or experienced (I almost put old, ugh).

I sometimes go to membergallery and sort by views(high to low), then go to the last page and comment on those that don't have 50,000 views.

I will go ahead and admit it, "My name is Christina and I am a comment junkie. I love comments all of shapes and sizes." *sniff sniff* "I will do almost anything for a comment."

There, I feel better now getting that off my chest. lol:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

P.S. I have also done threads in the past that could be considered encouragement threads. I saw some cards that I thought were deserving of some loving and posted the links in a thread to share them with others. None of my own though. I'm not THAT much of a comment junkie. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #25  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by navybrat75View Post
I've been a member for 3 years, so feel free to tell me the truth, even if I might not like it. lol I asked for it!! And SouthernStorm you make a good point that SCSers are nice. I find it incredibly difficult to leave any kind of criticism, even when someone asks for it. Also agree with craftfairy that I don't want to discourage anyone, new or experienced (I almost put old, ugh).

I sometimes go to membergallery and sort by views(high to low), then go to the last page and comment on those that don't have 50,000 views.

I will go ahead and admit it, "My name is Christina and I am a comment junkie. I love comments all of shapes and sizes." *sniff sniff* "I will do almost anything for a comment."

There, I feel better now getting that off my chest. lol:mrgreen:
I do something similar but I sort so that those cards in the spcific mamber's gallery with the fewest comments are viewed first. If the card is more than 1-2 years old I might skip it but otherwise I usually leave a comment on the first card to catch my attention (could be color, layout, image ... a combo of these things).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinemView Post
I may not be active here, so don't take offense when I say, it is sort of harsh to ENCOURAGE others not to post to a card they like if there isn't a recipe.
That is almost mean. I'm sort of shocked.
emily

I was just going to say the same thing. I completely agree.

The reason I don't post anything to the Gallery anymore is that I (almost) never receive a comment. How can 259 people view something, yet only my best friend on this board take the time to leave a comment? My general rule of thumb used to be that, whenever I would post something to the Gallery, I would try to leave at least 3 comments. And if I take the time to view something, I always leave a positive comment. That's just being polite. Whatever happened to being just plain nice?

Is this too honest?

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 07-23-2008 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

I think the reason people withhold comments if you don't provide the "recipe," is that it SEEMS like you are being selfish by not providing the information. Notice I said SEEMS! LOL Definitely not criticizing or judging anyone
I's just hard when you want to CASE a card and the info isn't there. I have left comments before even if someone didn't leave the details, personally. But I do wish they did leave them ; 0 Sometimes it's not a big deal because it's obvious, but other times you're thinking "how in the world did they do THAT?"
I tend to not even LOOK at cards that I don't think I can attempt to make myself, I admit (if they use Bella for example, because I don't have anything remotely similar)...unless it really really strikes me. I get emailed when someone posts on the stamp sets I have, and that's usually all I look at. That's just my habit, what I have time for, not something I'm defending ; 0
Thank you for those who have left feedback on my Noah card (linked above), I totally get what you are saying! That's exactly what I need to hear!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some cards in my gallery that don't have any comments. and I list what I use.

From what I have heard: alot of people say that don't have time to post a comment. But they have the time to save it to their favorites.

And I understand that there are some people that still have dial-up and it take a long time to leave a comment or even have the photo download to where they can see it.

_____________________________-

I've been a member on SCS since 2005, Something I've noticed is a Deline other's leaving comments in the gallery.

Yes the site has grown in leaps and bounds. and this might be the reason too.

_______________________________-

At first it kinda hurt me that I wasn't getting comments on my cards. But then thought about it. Hey! I'm able to share what I created. And I'm able to see that someone favorited my card into their gallery and that made me a lot happier.

And Yes there are days that I would love to have ton's of comments in my gallery.

But still I am happy that some one cared enough to look at my card!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Something else I thought of. Keyword listings. I find that a lot of people do not do this.

It helps others to find stamps set's. It makes it much easier for those that would love to see how a stamps set is used!

Here's a card that I made that I really loved and I only got 2 comments on it.

I am Grateful

And this one I posted last week... It's become another one of my favorited Stamps sets.

Fun in the Sun and Sand

As always I had fun making them.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I have some cards in my gallery that don't have any comments. and I list what I use.

From what I have heard: alot of people say that don't have time to post a comment. But they have the time to save it to their favorites.

And I understand that there are some people that still have dial-up and it take a long time to leave a comment or even have the photo download to where they can see it.

_____________________________-

I've been a member on SCS since 2005, Something I've noticed is a Deline other's leaving comments in the gallery.

Yes the site has grown in leaps and bounds. and this might be the reason too.

_______________________________-

At first it kinda hurt me that I wasn't getting comments on my cards. But then thought about it. Hey! I'm able to share what I created. And I'm able to see that someone favorited my card into their gallery and that made me a lot happier.

And Yes there are days that I would love to have ton's of comments in my gallery.

But still I am happy that some one cared enough to look at my card!
How can you tell if something has been Favorited? I guess none of mine have been, or else I'd see it, right? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
How can you tell if something has been Favorited? I guess none of mine have been, or else I'd see it, right? :confused:
I've wondered the same thing, too, but I have seen it on other peoples' cards under the details, where it says the number of views, then it will say how many have favorited it. You're right, it's not there if the number is zero.

Jeanstamping, your cards are great, they just aren't cards I would have even seen (except the ones you posted under the TAC thread...and I did comment on one from there) or looked at more closely, since I don't have anything remotely resembling those stamps :rolleyes: I am one of those on dial up, and I mostly leave a comment if I am saving it to CASE it, or if I come upon it (like through the TAC thread) and there aren't any comments on it already.
I know how you feel, but then I see so many great cards without comments, so I started to realize it wasn't personal. I do want feedback on how to improve, if there is something that could be better. Sometimes that's hard to tell someone, especially if it's just a style difference, KWIM?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #32  
Linking Queen

Quote:

You can't tell just from your gallery but you can tell from the specific card (go see your baby blue bunny card - I recently placed it in My Favorites :-D)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #33  

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scrapjanny - your baby bunny card has been favorited and at least one of your scrapbook layouts has been, as well.

I don't think people tend to view/comment/favorite the scrapook pages quite as often as cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Yes, I see it now. Thanks. And thank YOU, Tina, for doing that.

You know, now that I think of it, I believe I Favorited the scrapbook page a long time ago to see if I could tell if something had been Favorited.

Oh, well, I guess we're getting off topic, huh?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 06:31 PM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithr66View Post
Scrapjanny - your baby bunny card has been favorited and at least one of your scrapbook layouts has been, as well.

I don't think people tend to view/comment/favorite the scrapook pages quite as often as cards.
You're right. That's another reason I don't post them anymore. It's a shame. I know there are some talented scrapbookers here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the good info here girls! I was wondering about all of this today. I posted a card today and got 0 comments. I posted a card early on Friday and got 2 right away. Thought I might be doing something wrong! I think I remember seeing on one of my altered items being a favorited item. I have to go back and check now. Thanks, I don't feel left out anymore!

Jenny
My Blog....
http://pinchofpaisley.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Another thing to look at, is how many other cards are in a gallery for your stmap set and how many pages back is it? I tend to look at galleries by set to get inspiration, so if you tend to use sets that I don't, then I might not have noticed your gallery. And if your card is on page 55, people might not quite get back to your card. Not much to be done about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

I, too, have noticed the decline in comments being left (or maybe my cards are just getting worse instead of better! lol). For awhile it bothered me that so many people look at the cards, but few, if any, leave comments. Then I remind myself that the *real* reason I started a gallery was so that I can see my own progression (don't you just cringe at your very first "creations"). That being said...I will still never turn down a comment!;)

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDstamperView Post
I, too, have noticed the decline in comments being left (or maybe my cards are just getting worse instead of better! lol). For awhile it bothered me that so many people look at the cards, but few, if any, leave comments. Then I remind myself that the *real* reason I started a gallery was so that I can see my own progression (don't you just cringe at your very first "creations"). That being said...I will still never turn down a comment!;)

Your cards are Great looking. The only thing I noticed that is different about your cards. Is the lighting. Your cards that you have "0" comments on the lighting is very dark..

This might be one reason...

Another reason could me. When you upload your cards.

I try not to upload on Sunday or Monday's .

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

I was just going to say the same thing. I completely agree.

The reason I don't post anything to the Gallery anymore is that I (almost) never receive a comment. How can 259 people view something, yet only my best friend on this board take the time to leave a comment? My general rule of thumb used to be that, whenever I would post something to the Gallery, I would try to leave at least 3 comments. And if I take the time to view something, I always leave a positive comment. That's just being polite. Whatever happened to being just plain nice?

Is this too honest?
I try to work along similar lines. I'd like to think I leave at least 2 comments for every one I receive. But not necessarily to the same people who have left comments. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I'd find it hard to comment on a card just for the sake of it. It still has to jump out of the thumbnails and say Look at me, look at me . And if it does that, it doesn't matter to me if I am the first comment or the fortieth.
At the same time, it's true that even if I think something should be changed, I wouldn't say it unless constructive criticism was invited.
Reply With Quote Likes