Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Question Holiday cards season 2021

Like many of you crafters I'm working on my seasonal cards and craft fair items.

At the moment I find myself using the following supplies and tools the most often
Computer, printer, 28# paper, Scan-n-cut machine (luv it!), paper cutter, pre-cut scored card bases pre-embossed vellum panels, gorilla household glue (in fine tip bottles), tape runner, cotton swaps, (smearing glue on paper, adding a touch of ink), alcohol wipes, water based brush markers, full size scissors, mini scissors, foam tape; and glitter, pearl, metallic cardstocks, handmade papers. I'm also using my paper punches, dental tools, metal rulers hand tools...

What are your go to items on your desk at this time?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
stream26 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, since I can't get clear and detailed instructions, in print!, I can't get a handle on my Scan N Cut. I've seen videos and read the book that came with it and they all fall short, as if they skip a step or have used different words than appear on my machine!
I bought it to avoid buying more dies, but find myself buying dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by harvestmoon:
ChrisO (09-13-2021), Teachybaby (09-15-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Well, since I can't get clear and detailed instructions, in print!, I can't get a handle on my Scan N Cut. I've seen videos and read the book that came with it and they all fall short, as if they skip a step or have used different words than appear on my machine!
What a bummer to have purchased the machine and have so much trouble using it.
Have you tried Google for finding information? Be sure to include ScanNCut and your model number in the search window.
I'd think there would be oodles of YouTube videos of people using various models of ScanNCut.
Is there a user group (such as on Facebook) where you could ask questions?
Be sure to go to the Tool & Product Talk section here on Splitcoaststampers; the first discussion saved there is all about ScanNCut machines. You could try searching there for your model number or for a specific term that you need to learn about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I have my coloring tools close at hand as well as a tool caddy with my most-used scissors, paint brushes, art glitter glue, blending brushes and embellishment wand. A little three drawer organizer has dimensional adhesives, most used embellishments and other tools (eraser, sand eraser, paper-piercer, pens).

I seem to be using patterned paper more so moved that closer. And I reorganized a drawer to hold my journaling and memo book supplies.

I believe reorganizing my supplies every so often is as much a hobby as actually using the things.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
bzzzeee (09-15-2021), ejluyk (09-15-2021), NinaBeth (09-15-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

I've had my Scan N Cut for several years but I had not taken the time to learn how to use it.
I'm far from being a pro and I'm still learning, thanks YouTube. There's a lot good tutorials out there and they have helped me.
Julie FeFan Balzer, Balzer Designs and spokeperson for Brother, has a good many videos if you have the time to check them out.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nIBowCt7FmbXx0
Reply With Quote Likes
ejluyk (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Big Shot and dies, scissors, embossing powder + heat gun, thick cs for card bases, so many kinds of adhesive and many packs of envelopes. I will be totally over making Christmas cards in about another week.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2021, 03:24 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Quote:

I also have a scan n cut for about 5 years and like you, I have also only got PARTIAL instructions and they leave out so many steps. I found myself getting so frustrated that I finally gave up!! I will even fussy cut some images rather than digging out my machine now. And yes I still buy dies too!!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by cheermom:
ChrisO (09-15-2021), Teachybaby (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 05:19 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just finished my christmas cards for 2021! Spellbinders Platinum machine, sizzix die pick, misty, honeybee scissors, mono glue, dies, pearlized white cardstock, snow cone card stock and silver mirror cardstock, white card bases and envelopes, rubber stamps, distress oxide speckled egg ink, stazon black ink., chunky silver glitter.
Free now to make a few welcome autumn cards! So fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2021, 07:18 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out Julie Fei-Fan Blazer videos for Scan-N-Cut how to's.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have regretted quite a few purchases during my 14 years of card making, but the biggest is my scan-n-cut. I've watched Julie's videos, read tutorials, followed directions, but now it sets in a cupboard ready for me to toss, sell or donate. Now I buy dies and feel guilt free. Let that sh*t go, as the experts say. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 495 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I also have a scan n cut for about 5 years and like you, I have also only got PARTIAL instructions and they leave out so many steps. I found myself getting so frustrated that I finally gave up!! I will even fussy cut some images rather than digging out my machine now. And yes I still buy dies too!!
I do understand this! I watched the sales pitch (by Julie) on HSN, and the idea of cutting images from fabric or patterned paper was a huge selling point. But what a pain that process is. It takes way too long to determine why images won’t cut, try and change the settings or 'sensitivity' (as I call it) to capture more successful cutting, or realize the background of the paper is not clear enough to allow for images to be cut at all.
I was eager to cut Santas, penguins, ornaments, etc, to assist with this years's card, but it just isn't going to happen.

Last edited by ChrisO; 09-15-2021 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Add relevance to OP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

There is an excellent youtuber called Papered Chef that explains with a lot of details how to use scan cut machines, including older models. Take a look there. I guess she also offers paid courses. I don’t own a scanNCut machine but I was watching her videos to learn about it to see if it is worth buying.

https://youtube.com/c/PaperedChef

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
I have regretted quite a few purchases during my 14 years of card making, but the biggest is my scan-n-cut. I've watched Julie's videos, read tutorials, followed directions, but now it sets in a cupboard ready for me to toss, sell or donate. Now I buy dies and feel guilt free. Let that sh*t go, as the experts say. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2021, 06:30 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean there's a desk under my pile? I believe there's all types of glues, tear tape, ink/glue mat, grid paper, light, scissors, heat gun. In the process projects, papers, instructions to projects. I have lots of carts throughout the rooms that I keep "supplies" in. I have to get up to use the trimmer & die cutter. All this "mess" is upstairs in my unfinished attic so no one sees it, thank goodness. My Silhouette is downstairs in a closeable computer hutch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Items I use the most

I use the Big Shot the most. I am some what limited right now since I have not done much for the past number of years, and am just getting back into it, AND discovering all the things that I had bought in the past and forgotten about. It's like an early Christmas for me. I have been ordering more stamps and other supplies as well. I use mostly Stampin' Up products, since once upon a time I was a demonstrator for them, but have branched out now that I am able to spend more money. That is about all I use, aside from the usual cardstock, inks, glues and ribbons. I find that I also have to awaken my creative senses again. They seem to have hidden themselves very thoroughly. It will return, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
stream26 (09-18-2021)