Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2021, 11:24 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I will admit I am so amused about this HL doesn't have Halloween items. If you go to YouTube and type in Hobby Lobby 2021 Halloween you will see lots of walkthroughs and cute things. I was buying things back in July. Hobby Lobby online is using the term Autumn this year. I am sure it's because of less stock.

All the stores are having inventory shortages, especially with Seasonal items due to all the reasons that have been in our news.

Something else to think about- When HL was putting out "Autumn" items in my area the Delta variant was ravaging my area where we made the news. Joplin and Springfield was a horrible nightmare. The cashier at that particular HL store that was rude could have been under a great deal of stress and anxiety. Maybe the OP was unmasked and it made the cashier nervous. There are no mask mandates in my area so it is fine to be without a mask here. The OP could have been wearing a mask and the cashier was mad about it. I have gone through that with a rude cashier. I am still masking and yes it does make people nervous. I just let it go. I went without a mask for awhile after I was vaccinated and it made people nervous. I have been on both sides and have a lot more empathy about these issues especially in my area. What I am trying to convey is just that rude cashier could have had a lot to be rude about that has nothing to do with religious views but due to stress, fear, anxiety, worries.

As the wife of an essential worker I just ask for everyone to be kind and patient with essential & service workers. They are working under extremely hard and unique conditions right now. The stress level is immense. Maybe if you don't think they deserve a smile you should give one anyway. Tell them you appreciate them.

Mischelle1 I am all sorts of rainbow envy of your home. That is Utopia. I know it is fun to look at pretty things in the stores but online ordering is heaven, lol. Especially when you have a great home like yours.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by lylacfey:
ChrisO (09-17-2021), EyeDreamOnPaper (11-28-2021), fl_beachbum (10-18-2021), jeannemlehrman (09-17-2021), Mischelle1 (10-15-2021), Valeriesc (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 03:19 PM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I live 30 miles north of Madison, WI and we have two Hobby Lobbys in the city. Both are great nad offer lots of card making supplies [although their cardstock is super flimsy] and have several aisles of Halloween decorations. It seems to vary by the stste in which you live.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Stampitis (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #43  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You maybe correct about state to state. When I was in Spokane, WA last October, they had nothing Halloween and said they don't carry Halloween. No bats, no witches, no nothing that was Halloween. They did have Fall and Thanksgiving decorations, but no Halloween. I'm thinking you're correct about state to state.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2021, 01:05 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

I can see State by State what the store carries. I am wondering if some of the Hobby Lobby's are smaller in size? I am so envious of you all who have large JoAnn stores. The one here is tiny and full of fabric.

The OP who said the cashier was rude to her. I live in her area. I know a lot of the employee's at Hobby Lobby. I have known them for decades. I know they are not these hateful judgmental types. I feel protective of them that they get the side eye and hate just because my area is religious and HL is a religious store.

Trust me when I say that these men & women who work at HL are not helping bring religious artifacts into the country questionably. They are just working class people trying to survive like most of us who have family and friends who love and care about them.

With the cancel culture craze a lot of these threads are started on forums to start a mob mentality. You can fact check this. I work in IT and I have had to do the keyword analytics on this. I have fallen prey to it too more than once. More emotionally fragile you are the more you fall easily into it.

I feel passionately the owner should be punished how he brought artifacts into this country. This is part of my heritage that his museum and foundation are abusing.

I get so ticked when I have to be the cashier and catch every single mistake because their pricing system is outdated. The last time I went to the Hobby Lobby I took forever in the line because I actually arrange things by aisle on sale, then clearance, then regular price so there will be no confusion. When a lady got mad at me for holding up the lane I told her jokingly I wasn't going to help the owner pay his fines. The cashier started laughing. The other lady was not amused, lol.

Yes, some of their business practices are questionable. When the owner's wife said she prayed to keep the stores open during Covid and the Lord told her too... The Internet went crazy on that one. If you met her, and I have met her several times, well she is like that. She comes from that generation & that mindset. I think she might be a bit senile too. The last time I saw her she was having some trouble. She is also a sweet lady and not some demon angel trying to give us all Covid. She is going to say things like that. I felt bad for her because her husband and the top brass should have protected her better, not used her as an excuse to keep the stores open. It was a bunch of men who ran with it, think of the implications on that.

Yes, I have a lot of issues with the store. I have felt many times I should not shop there either. I have known the employees a long time. I don't want to punish them. I wouldn't want to be punished just because where I worked. Every time we try to cancel a company I always worry about the employee's of the company.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by lylacfey:
brownie59 (10-18-2021), DancesWithHooves (09-19-2021), Mischelle1 (10-15-2021), Stampitis (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Halloween vs Christmas

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfoatView Post
Yes they used to do Halloween but at least here they have decided it is against their Christian dogma
This is totally bizarre to me....Halloween is fun and for kids. Period. What I do have issues with, is their so called "Christian dogma" and yet where do most ALL of their Christmas decorations come? China. Not exactly an upstanding Christian nation or anything close to it. Just smacks of hypocrisy....to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by mphb:
Mischelle1 (10-15-2021), montessorigrandma (10-21-2021), Stampitis (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Received 857 Likes on 512 Posts

Hobby Lobby is the only craft store we have in our town, so I am glad we have it. I have gotten some great deals there when they mark stuff down. Plus, I can get essentials and other products there. I don't go there often, but do enjoy when I do. The only other store in town with any craft stuff is Walmart, and it is always packed, so I avoid Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by hoptownracer1:
brownie59 (10-18-2021), Stampitis (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Hobby Lobby is the only craft store we have in our town, so I am glad we have it. I have gotten some great deals there when they mark stuff down. Plus, I can get essentials and other products there. I don't go there often, but do enjoy when I do. The only other store in town with any craft stuff is Walmart, and it is always packed, so I avoid Walmart.
Don't forget to check Joann.com and sign up so you get notified when there's FREE shipping! I hate paying outrageous shipping costs & disappointed in some of the bigger online merchants that make you spend so much to get free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by mphb:
EyeDreamOnPaper (11-28-2021), Stampitis (09-18-2021), Valeriesc (09-18-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't shop HL often - I've been to mine a couple in the last couple years it has been in my town. So I sometimes forget how they organize. If I want seasonal scrapbooking or cardmaking items, I need to look in the seasonal section first. That is where the current Halloween items and Autumn items are located. It's nice that I don't have to go all the way to the back of the store. If you have trouble locating seasonal items, try looking in the front of the store. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I have not really been following this conversation but, it caught my eye this morning.
I read something somewhere recently but the gist of it is

the whole world is short staffed right now, so be kind to the people who showed up.

and I have been trying to do that for a while now, everywhere but esp. when someone is short tempered with me. I guess they need that kindness more than we know. I try to make sure I smile hard behind that mask so my eyes will wrinkle and hopefully they see that.

there is a HL 80 miles from me, and all the people who work in that one are friendly. I have no clue if they have Halloween stuffs or not though.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 9 users liked this post by JBgreendawn:
fl_beachbum (10-18-2021), lesliespringer (10-18-2021), lovinpaper (10-18-2021), lylacfey (10-17-2021), Mischelle1 (10-17-2021), muscrat (10-21-2021), pepperann (10-17-2021), Valeriesc (10-16-2021), whim6915 (10-17-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 03:48 AM   #50  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

This has all been enlightening to me. We only got a HL in my area a few years ago. At the time, I knew nothing about the store. Of course I soon found out that like Chick Fil A, they are not open on Sunday because of Christian values. I don’t have a problem with that, and I am Jewish. If I were a practicing Jew, that would mean M-F are the only days I could shop there, which is still fine with me.
I mentioned HL to a crafting friend of mine, and she snapped that she won’t shop there because they won’t fund birth control for employees. I don’t know if that is true or not, but I have noted mostly women over 50 working at my store. I guess I will need to google the artifact thing, because this is the first I’m hearing of it.
With that said, I’ve bought some things there. Mostly clearance items: paper pads, dies, and picture frames. I spend the bulk of my crafting dollars with Stampin Up, as I am a long time hobby demo. However, it is nice to branch out once in a while and try other things. I still like the Michael’s Hot Buys paper pads, although you can’t get the same deals as they used to have. Even buy one, get two free isn’t as good as $5 pads. It sounds better, but it’s not. My Joann’s doesn’t carry much in the way of papercrafting. No paper pads at all. But, during the pandemic, they had a great deal on paper pads and free shipping. I stocked up, and honestly,I’m set for life now!
Having plenty of paper I started branching out into dies and discovered Tonic Studios and Spellbinders online. And of course I still love my Stampin Up.
I’m now pretty much a hoarder and stocked up on every crafting supply I could possibly ever need, but if I run out of something that HL carries, I won’t hesitate to run over there because it’s close.
Reply With Quote Likes
brownie59 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mischelle1View Post
I AM PURPLE WITH EVNY (or maybe not)

I live 60 miles one way to a Joanns, Walmart and a Dollar Tree. The nearest Hobby Lobby is 120 miles one way.
I can shop online if everything is at peace with the internet gods. But, I'll live this way, to have a home surrounded with mountains, clean air and water, and only 4,000 people for the surrounding 45 miles. That's what gives me inspiration and time to craft and design.
So, I guess I'm not purple with envy maybe a light shade of lilac.
I feel your pain. The nearest Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or JoAnn's is about 3,500 miles away from me. And 5,000 for the one I usually go to, but haven't been since the pandemic. Here in England, especially where I live, we don't have anything like those stores but we do have a few bricks-and-mortar craft stores (but they are very small and limited in stock), lots of good online craft shops and of course Amazon! I guess it's a matter of take-what-you-can-get.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
This has all been enlightening to me. We only got a HL in my area a few years ago. At the time, I knew nothing about the store. Of course I soon found out that like Chick Fil A, they are not open on Sunday because of Christian values. I don’t have a problem with that, and I am Jewish. If I were a practicing Jew, that would mean M-F are the only days I could shop there, which is still fine with me.
I mentioned HL to a crafting friend of mine, and she snapped that she won’t shop there because they won’t fund birth control for employees. I don’t know if that is true or not, but I have noted mostly women over 50 working at my store. I guess I will need to google the artifact thing, because this is the first I’m hearing of it.
With that said, I’ve bought some things there. Mostly clearance items: paper pads, dies, and picture frames. I spend the bulk of my crafting dollars with Stampin Up, as I am a long time hobby demo. However, it is nice to branch out once in a while and try other things. I still like the Michael’s Hot Buys paper pads, although you can’t get the same deals as they used to have. Even buy one, get two free isn’t as good as $5 pads. It sounds better, but it’s not. My Joann’s doesn’t carry much in the way of papercrafting. No paper pads at all. But, during the pandemic, they had a great deal on paper pads and free shipping. I stocked up, and honestly,I’m set for life now!
Having plenty of paper I started branching out into dies and discovered Tonic Studios and Spellbinders online. And of course I still love my Stampin Up.
I’m now pretty much a hoarder and stocked up on every crafting supply I could possibly ever need, but if I run out of something that HL carries, I won’t hesitate to run over there because it’s close.
HL DOES pay for most birth control. They do not pay for the "morning after pill" and 2 types of IUD.

"Although the Supreme Court ruling opens the door for closely held companies to make other future objections based on religious beliefs, Hobby Lobby's individual position is less extreme than many believe. The company objects to paying for morning-after pills and inter-uterine devices, but freely provides insurance that covers tubal ligation, birth control pills, condoms, diaphragms and contraception delivered via a patch or ring inserted into the cervix. More than 80% of all contraception users in the U.S. rely on these methods."

Just another example of misinformation.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by basketdiva:
fl_beachbum (10-18-2021), JaneUK (10-18-2021), kboc (10-21-2021), lylacfey (10-20-2021), muscrat (10-21-2021), Redeemed (10-25-2021), whim6915 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

h
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #54  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
HL DOES pay for most birth control. They do not pay for the "morning after pill" and 2 types of IUD.

"Although the Supreme Court ruling opens the door for closely held companies to make other future objections based on religious beliefs, Hobby Lobby's individual position is less extreme than many believe. The company objects to paying for morning-after pills and inter-uterine devices, but freely provides insurance that covers tubal ligation, birth control pills, condoms, diaphragms and contraception delivered via a patch or ring inserted into the cervix. More than 80% of all contraception users in the U.S. rely on these methods."

Just another example of misinformation.
Well, now I know. I don’t plan on bringing the subject up with my friend again, but it is interesting to know.
Are you a Hal employee? I am curious how one gets that kind of information.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lynnewithane:
brownie59 (10-18-2021), ChrisO (10-18-2021), Here and There (10-19-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #55  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

Quote:

Well, now I know. I don’t plan on bringing the subject up with my friend again, but it is interesting to know.
It was in the news back when "everyone" was all up in arms because HL supposedly wasn't offering insurance that covered BC.
Reply With Quote Likes
lynnewithane (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:56 AM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Not a HL employee- just someone who doesn’t believe everything I read.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by basketdiva:
brownie59 (10-20-2021), lesliespringer (10-21-2021), lylacfey (10-20-2021), lynnewithane (10-20-2021), muscrat (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 10:10 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

lynnewithane- Like basketdiva I don't believe everything I read either. Don't care which side it is on. I fact check everything. Basketdiva is right about the BC case. It wasn't only HL that was part of tis case but also an Amish company.

Artifacts- This is a complicated case. I will admit when I first read about it I was furious. I also deep delved into the case. To really understand the case you need to find sites that cover professional art news. The case involves brokerage firms, art houses, and agents. It is not like most think that the HL owner went and stole these artifacts like a Scooby Doo villain. IMO yes I do think he needs to be punished for his part. If opening a museum you better be dotting your i's and crossing your t's. IMO, this artifact controversy reflects on the HL owner as a museum owner and not a store owner.

lynnewitnane- You just enjoy shopping at HL and finding all those great deals. If your friend doesn't want to shop there more for you, lol.

I mentioned before I have met the owner and his wife several times. They have always been kind to me. Heartfelt kind and not fakey fake kind. I can tell you the cancel culture club has shown many who were not even cancelled self righteousness, lack of empathy and pure racism. Trust me I have been on the side of that and had four years of terror until the group was arrested.

To all my advice is if somebody says an item is not on sale. Trust that the employee made an honest mistake to that person. Check HL website to see if there are tags on sale, for example. If HL overworked short staffed employee was snippy just check to see if the store does carry said items. YouTube is perfect for this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2021, 05:54 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

All you have to do is Goggle this and a ton of information and articles come up on the web.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #59  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I LOVE Hobby Lobby!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by kboc:
brownie59 (10-21-2021), muscrat (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #60  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Honestly, I stay out of politics. If I need something, I will go to Hobby Lobby and look for it. I was excited when I heard HL was coming to a location nearby because I've had to travel over an hour to the closest one before. I found some really cute silver pearls from Paper Studio last time I went, but I havent shopped much since Covid. I think I see a trip coming this weekend! Im not into Halloween, so not having that in stock doesn't affect me. But if I wanted Halloween and couldn't find it at HL I'd stop at Michaels or JoAnns and check. I don't shop online except Walmart (because I can use a gift card) and Amazon. My sister orders from Amazon, so I just buy cards for her to pick up stuff I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Scrapjanny (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 06:10 AM   #61  
Glitter Queen

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always enjoyed shopping at HL. The employees are always so helpful. I don't like to get caught up with everyone's politics, I just try to enjoy my shopping time. When HL did their last big clearance on their craft items the lady was marking things down just as I got there. She told me to gather the things I had wanted because they were probably going to clearance them out and she would check her sheet for me and mark them down. Sure enough I scored SO much. I thanked her and even went and got her a Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Calichk:
bzzzeee (05-03-2022), EyeDreamOnPaper (11-28-2021), muscrat (10-22-2021), Scrapjanny (10-22-2021)