Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding table for crafting

I have been looking at the white plastic tables on the office supply stores, but I am not sure if they would be heavy duty enough to work with a die cutting machine and paper cutter on top. I want to extend the desk in my craft room so I can have the tools on the side and use the desktop for stamping and putting the cards together. Any advice, links to good deals, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Rachael
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ikea Linnmon tabletop in a size that would suit you, and either legs they also sell that easily attach, or if you’d like drawers, one or two Alex drawer units. (You can put legs on one end and an Alex on the other.) The 39” top is $8.99. That size is my trimmer table on legs and it’s very sturdy.
linmon tabletop - Search - IKEA

Legs (note the sizes): legs - Search - IKEA

They also have the tops and legs together in various configurations:
legs for linmon - Search - IKEA

Alex unit: ALEX Drawer unit - white - IKEA

If you’re not near an IKEA, they’ve recently lowered prices on shipping.

Some of the white adjustable height tables from office supply stores, Costco, etc., are actually pretty sturdy. They’re not all the same, and weight restrictions may be in their full on-line descriptions if you’d rather go that route and double check. I have one I used for work and at home if decluttering an area and needed a table, and put a lot on it. But I wasn’t pushing down on it.

Enjoy the expansion!
Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2020, 03:40 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

if you have a Lower or Home Depot in your area, check out their workbenches. They have stronger, smoother tops than plastic folding tables and you can get different heights.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I second the vote for Ikea tables.........they are super cheap and come in different sizes.......mine have held up for years and I do everything on them. Well, when eyelets were used a lot I didn't pound on them with the eyelet setter, but pretty much everything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 01:10 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

While you're looking now for a table to hold your die cutter and trimmer, I'd try to get a table that doesn't have much "flex" in it. Most of the folding tables I've seen are made of that "flexible plastic", which does not work well for stamping. So if your table might occasionally be used for stamping, go for something really solid.

The other thing you might want to consider is if you'd like to use this table while sitting or standing. Although there are chairs available nearby, I find that I always stand when using my die cutting machine and both my guillotine and Carl cutters. (I use my paper trimmers while seated most of the time.) Because of that it's nice to have a table that's more counter-height than desk/table-height.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 01:35 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Good point. I sit while die cutting since I don’t need to be over the machine (Gemini Junior with no crank, side feed) but stand for trimming using a Carl or standard trimmers. The legs we got for the Ikea top are expandable and set a little lower than a counter top (I’m short). That brought the price up.
OLOV Leg, adjustable - silver color - IKEA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Another vote for the Ikea top and legs. From experience with all kinds of tables, the plastic ones give quite a bit, are rough, and somewhat uneven. If all you have is an electric die cutter and paper cutter you could probably get by. But you know how it is. We all want to expand and the plastic table might become a liability.

Another option is to locate a table in decent condition on Craigslist, FB marketplace, or similar. I've seen some good deals there, and something might show up that fits your space and your use quite well.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Freecycle.org is another one - where everything is free. Creating an account (for free) is needed. Just glancing at the Freecycle in my area, listings from a sofa to a popcorn maker to a portable grill to Stephen King books appear.

If using an on-line site to buy from someone local, please take care. Entering a stranger’s home is not the best idea ever. Many police stations have created safe trade zones/stations due to crimes against buyers and sellers. One site that lists them (there are others): http://www.safetradestations.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #9  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps an "old fashion" printer cart would work. It would offer storage that just a tabletop won't offer.

I agree about the plastic tables having flex and a rough surface. My main work surface is our old (but new-ish) dining table, so it is deep, long, smooth and sturdy! I really like using it. Maybe you can find one at a thrift store, Craig's List, etc

Hope you find a solution that fits your heeds/wants and budget..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Ikea Linnmon tabletop in a size that would suit you, and either legs they also sell that easily attach, or if you’d like drawers, one or two Alex drawer units. (You can put legs on one end and an Alex on the other.) The 39” top is $8.99. That size is my trimmer table on legs and it’s very sturdy.
linmon tabletop - Search - IKEA

Legs (note the sizes): legs - Search - IKEA

They also have the tops and legs together in various configurations:
legs for linmon - Search - IKEA

Alex unit: ALEX Drawer unit - white - IKEA

If you’re not near an IKEA, they’ve recently lowered prices on shipping.

Some of the white adjustable height tables from office supply stores, Costco, etc., are actually pretty sturdy. They’re not all the same, and weight restrictions may be in their full on-line descriptions if you’d rather go that route and double check. I have one I used for work and at home if decluttering an area and needed a table, and put a lot on it. But I wasn’t pushing down on it.

Enjoy the expansion!
Beth
I bought the smallest size Limmon table tecently; it cost me about $25, including the legs. It is sturdy enough that I would feel comfortable using my Platinum die cutter on it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Having to make do with what space I have in my basement, I have several of the white plastic tables. I purchased remnant Formica countertop pieces in the size needed to cover the table top. You have a wonderful smooth & durable surface to stamp, cut, whatever. And you can add color or texture to your craft room for cheap!! And the Formica tops make the tables stable, heavy, and you can move them around should you ever want to redesign your craft space....as I have done numerous times!!!!!
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

I have a formica counter top that I just placed on two saw horses. Not as spiffy as the pretty white stuff from IKEA, but it sure is durable and wide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Another vote for IKEA tabletops, legs, and Alex drawers. I have them in my craft room. The table tops come in a number of lengths and widths, so it's easy to find what will fit. Some of my table tops have 'standard' cheaper legs, one has the more expensive adjustable ones so I could fit my plastic storage drawers under it. I also have my main workdesk on top of two Alex drawer units. Another desktop has my Big Shot, Big Shot Pro- that weighs 40+ pounds alone- and a huge box of dies on it, so you can see how sturdy it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I already had three KALLAX "book cases" from IKEA. I left two of them in the "vertical" position and attached a work top with two legs also from IKEA. The third "book case" I turned on it's side. I use the top of it for my guillotine cutter, score-pal scoring board, and my Big Kick with platforms. You not only have a stable work surface but you also have the "cubbies" of the book case where you can place custom made storage pieces from Stamp-n-Storage as well as other containers. It has been space saving, and maxed out storage area. I design, stamp, and assemble my work on the worktop that's attached to one of the upright KALLAX bookcases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you everyone for you input and some points are well taken. i love the idea of finding a used wood table and the Ikea tables as well. I haven't been there in 6 months or so but it's only 20 minutes away. I had planned for just the electric die cutter and the paper cutter but I could possibly see stamping and/or assembling cards on it as well. I am hoping to have time this weekend to look around a little, but it may take me some time as I am emptying my sisters home to put it on the market. I will let you know when I have found the right table. Please feel free to add any other tips, thoughts, recommendations. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2020, 05:37 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Like the others I use the Ikea tables. So far I have 6 of them set up (2 per work station) in my home which is my workshop. 
Many years ago when I started paper crafting I used a uncut hollow door purchased at home depot. I secured it to the top of smaller inexpensive table top with silicone caulking and it worked out well giving me a larger work area. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2020, 06:32 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Like the others I use the Ikea tables. So far I have 6 of them set up (2 per work station) in my home which is my workshop. 
Many years ago when I started paper crafting I used a uncut hollow door purchased at home depot. I secured it to the top of smaller inexpensive table top with silicone caulking and it worked out well giving me a larger work area. 

I meant to mention this and you reminded me! When kids, my father used hollow doors on top of two short chest of drawers on either side to make huge work tables for us. Others do the same with file cabinets. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

This is what I'm getting Sunday.  I can't wait.  And there is a nice little restaurant across the street too.  I even get lunch out!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
This is what I'm getting Sunday.  I can't wait.  And there is a nice little restaurant across the street too.  I even get lunch out!

Yay! Yes, have lunch, since you’ll need your strength to put the Alex unit together. ;)

Ikea has a cafeteria too, which is actually kind of fun and a bit different. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Yay! Yes, have lunch, since you’ll need your strength to put the Alex unit together. ;)

Ikea has a cafeteria too, which is actually kind of fun and a bit different. 

Me?  Put the desk together?  With a knee brace on, Nope, I have a Very Strong Hubby and son to do that for me

My hubby does not like to eat in the Ikea cafe, It is always real crowded in the cafe when we go.  There is a nice little cafe across the street that severs awesome sandwiches, panini sandwiches and pizzas.  Yumm!! 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Me?  Put the desk together?  With a knee brace on, Nope, I have a Very Strong Hubby and son to do that for me

My hubby does not like to eat in the Ikea cafe, It is always real crowded in the cafe when we go.  There is a nice little cafe across the street that severs awesome sandwiches, panini sandwiches and pizzas.  Yumm!! 

I’m sorry about the knee brace. Yes, it can be crowded. Enjoy your new desk - will it replace one or is it an addition? BTW, I had 1/4” plexiglass cut to cover my Linmons. Others cover it with glass but that’s a little too clangy and cold (just my weirdness; glass is great). And now you’ve enabled me to want to go to Ikea... 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I’m sorry about the knee brace. Yes, it can be crowded. Enjoy your new desk - will it replace one or is it an addition? BTW, I had 1/4” plexiglass cut to cover my Linmons. Others cover it with glass but that’s a little too clangy and cold (just my weirdness; glass is great). And now you’ve enabled me to want to go to Ikea... 

My son moved into my daughters bedroom which I just moved 3/4 of my stamping stuff into in October.  She will graduate college in May and plans to continue onto graduate school.

So in December when my daughter was home visiting, I had my kids bring up the rest of my stamping stuff from the basement, I can't do stairs.

I'm using my daughters old school desk from high school, which she turned it into an art desk.  Has beautiful colored acrylic paint all over it.  Very sturdy but I want a bigger desk to craft on, so Im digging into my fun money to buy this new craft table.  Did a really big purge, and will list on the buy/sell thread as soon as I type everything up and take some pics.

Hoping to recoup some money as I have been buying too much from Unity lately, plus this desk.  

I sure hope this is the last reorganization in my craft room I ever do.  "IF" I ever mention reorganizing again, just shoot me!!!!!! 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2020, 04:17 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

My son moved into my daughters bedroom which I just moved 3/4 of my stamping stuff into in October.  She will graduate college in May and plans to continue onto graduate school.

So in December when my daughter was home visiting, I had my kids bring up the rest of my stamping stuff from the basement, I can't do stairs.

I'm using my daughters old school desk from high school, which she turned it into an art desk.  Has beautiful colored acrylic paint all over it.  Very sturdy but I want a bigger desk to craft on, so Im digging into my fun money to buy this new craft table.  Did a really big purge, and will list on the buy/sell thread as soon as I type everything up and take some pics.

Hoping to recoup some money as I have been buying too much from Unity lately, plus this desk.  

I sure hope this is the last reorganization in my craft room I ever do.  "IF" I ever mention reorganizing again, just shoot me!!!!!! 

An exciting move! I hope you post photos once you’re done. (We’re never done.) And good going for your daughter! 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

An exciting move! I hope you post photos once you’re done. (We’re never done.) And good going for your daughter! 

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thinking of also buying a new chair.  I have been using an old wooden kitchen table chair since I started stamping back in 2005.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Before and after. I’m so happy. I have a purple chair!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Wonderful! Nice picture on the wall too. Also admiring that you posted two photos in one post. When I’ve tried that using an ipad, only one has shown up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Wonderful! Nice picture on the wall too. Also admiring that you posted two photos in one post. When I’ve tried that using an ipad, only one has shown up.

I used my iPhone. I was surprised that 2 photos posts also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

My daughter painted the picture a couple years ago, when she was learning to paint with acrylics. She left it behind when she moved off to college.  I love the picture but she has advanced in her skill of painting  and has painted more pictures for her apartment. 
Reply With Quote Likes