Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever wondered why you have all this stuff?

I sat down this last weekend to work on valentines (yes valentines - I have 50 to make for our shut-ins at church) and used a couple of stamps, a little paper, and am always amazed at what a nice card a person can make with not much supplies? And my room is full of stamps, and embossing folders, and dies, and cricut cartridges, etc. But tell me why is it is so hard to purge them and also, why do I look at the new stamp catalogs and think I need it all??? So far, January 4, and I haven't spent anything on my hobby. (I know should be no big deal, but I have a couple of 'carts' out there on the web just hoping I will hit 'complete order'. I wonder how long I can go? I am going to start slow and go for a month.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 05:52 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Yep, I'm right there with you! I'm really going to try not to buy a bunch of new stuff this year - I have WAY too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is meant as a rhetorical question, but I am unable to stop my fingers from tapping out an answer on my keyboard.:p

For me, "boredom" is probably the simplest answer. I have three embossing folders and plan to buy two or three more this year. For the longest time, I had only one. As much as I love dots, I got bored of that one real fast.

Also, "variety" but not to cure our boredom. Variety helps us to meet our creative needs, to complete SCS challenges and gives us a rainbow of colors to choose from.

Finally, I would have to say "convenience" is also a factor. Stamping a picture is so much easier than drawing one. Punches & dies are so much easier than hand cutting.

A couple days ago, in another post, I mentioned how I could look around my craft room and think I had everything I needed and more. Then, when I sat down to complete a project I would kick myself for not having a certain tool or stamp or ink pad color.

I've wanted a Corner Chomper (rounder) for years. After fighting with a few Christmas cards this year, I finally broke down and bought one. When will I use it? No idea. But I do know that the next time I need it, I'll have it.

I'm of the mindset that we should not kick ourselves for having stuff. We should only kick ourselves for spending money on stuff that we don't use. It never ceases to amaze me when I see people list a dozen stamp sets in the buy/sell forum that have never been used. But then, I'm just as bad.

I'm guilty of not using consumables like paint, Jolee's stickers (I scrapbook), "special" paper. A part of me is afraid that if I use it will be gone. Well, duh. It will be gone, but I need to remind myself that there will always be something just as cool, just as pretty, just as exciting to take its place.

A long answer for a rhetorical question, huh? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always say that I'm going to try not to buy a lot of stuff, and I always buy a lot of stuff. Things come out that get me excited. I decide I want to go in a new direction artistically and have to have different supplies. It's always something. I try not to be impulsive, and many times I am successful. But since I am a human being and not a Vulcan, I do succumb to my lust and emotions.

Besides, I don't make cards because I need cards to send to people. I could buy cards for that, and more cheaply. I make them because I love the process of doing it, and because being creative is so deeply satisfying to me.

I figure as long as I am not putting myself in debt, or not paying my bills, or neglecting to save, I get to spend on my crafting. I'm retired. My hobbies are what I do. One of them is cheap - I write, so all I need is the computer I already would have anyway. The other- crafting - is definitely not.

(Can you tell that I just bought a bunch of new stuff? I'm the best justifier/rationalizer ever. It's my superpower ;))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

I definitely know what you mean! I have tons of stuff and am finally going through it all and purging a few things! LOL! I really do have to much! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have so much stuff because I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeded it at the time! oh that's pretty, oh so is that, and that and that and that, and that goes with that so I will have that.....

Of course when I am on YouTube, blogs, SCS gallery etc the cards I love I don't have the products that make that wonderful card...so I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed them as well.

All that has added up to my cost effective cards costing about $1000 a piece when I make them lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I set aside about 10 stamp sets that haven't seen ink in years, intending to sell or pass on or something. Lo and behold, I used one of those yesterday, so maybe I shouldn't get rid of them. There have been times when I remember the perfect stamp for a project and then remember that I gave it away.

Also, over time, my style has changed and I NEED new stuff to reflect that (ha!). But, trying to sell the old stuff is hardly worth the effort. You get pennies on the dollar and have the hassle of packing and shipping.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,380 Likes on 514 Posts

I am actually the opposite - I have a hard time convincing myself to buy things. That isn't limited to craft stuff, either. Unless I really need something or it is a necessary bill, I tend to not spend money on myself. I have been this way my whole life and I married somebody just like me (a saver). I didn't grow up poor at all so I figure it is just the way I am. It does not bother me to donate to our favorite charities or buy gifts or pay for life's neccessities - I actually love donating and gifting! When it comes to myself, though, I REALLY think it through before I plunk down the dough. The upside, though, is that I truly enjoy everything I have bought and I don't feel like I am drowning in stuff. I also enjoy using up what I have (no hoarding).

The downside - I have a hard time letting loose and buying impractical thingsvery once in awhile! For instance, this afternoon I was walking the dog through our little town and I had a craving for hot chocolate. There was a Starbucks just a block away, so I could have bought one. Instead, I told myself, "You have perfectly delicious hot chocolate at home. Wait until you get back and have some of that.". Of course, just having returned from a week long trip to Orlando with our teen daughters (our Christmas gift to them) could have made me feel like snapping the wallet shut right now ;)

Sometimes I think it would be nice to be so easy about spending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I have so much stuff because I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeded it at the time! oh that's pretty, oh so is that, and that and that and that, and that goes with that so I will have that.....

Of course when I am on YouTube, blogs, SCS gallery etc the cards I love I don't have the products that make that wonderful card...so I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed them as well.

All that has added up to my cost effective cards costing about $1000 a piece when I make them lol!
Jukie -- ROFL but that's what makes those cards priceless! (at least that is my reasoning)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love all my stuff because it's what I do with my spare time. It's my hobby, my expression, my art. You have to have tools and supplies to expand your art and your expression. My husband tells me all the time I have too much stuff but a hobbyist or artist must have the tools they need to create. My dad had too many tools and items to make whatever he needed for his trade, an electrician. But he loved woodwork too and is an exceptional carpenter. He tinkers all the time and has way too many tools and crafts of the trades. You find you need different tools and supplies to do what you want to create the idea you have. I don't need too many new tools anymore. Every now and then I may get a new thing or two but mostly what I need the most of these days are cardstocks, an occasional new paper design and adhesives. I like all my things for this craft and I'm very happy with them. I could use a bigger space to create, but a small bedroom works as my craftroom/studio now and it's great to have it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love making cards and having lots of stamps, sentiments, dies, embellishments, card stock available so I can do it without having to improvise too much. I find it so hard to ignore the now monthly releases of new inks, card stock, stamps, dies, techniques, embossing folders etc etc from so many great distributers especially as they have such wonderful creative DT's working for them. Now I try to resist for a while and see what else turns up using those new releases.
Before I bought on impulse when things were newly released then found that I was lucky to see anything else done with that must have die/stamp/technique. I have some really expensive dies that I have found so limiting in use that I truly do regret buying them. Others I havent purchased and should have as they are so versatile.

Ahhhhh the life of a crafter, so many decisions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Melissa do you want a few more embossing folders?

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I know this is meant as a rhetorical question, but I am unable to stop my fingers from tapping out an answer on my keyboard.:p

For me, "boredom" is probably the simplest answer. I have three embossing folders and plan to buy two or three more this year. For the longest time, I had only one. As much as I love dots, I got bored of that one real fast.

Also, "variety" but not to cure our boredom. Variety helps us to meet our creative needs, to complete SCS challenges and gives us a rainbow of colors to choose from.

Finally, I would have to say "convenience" is also a factor. Stamping a picture is so much easier than drawing one. Punches & dies are so much easier than hand cutting.

A couple days ago, in another post, I mentioned how I could look around my craft room and think I had everything I needed and more. Then, when I sat down to complete a project I would kick myself for not having a certain tool or stamp or ink pad color.

I've wanted a Corner Chomper (rounder) for years. After fighting with a few Christmas cards this year, I finally broke down and bought one. When will I use it? No idea. But I do know that the next time I need it, I'll have it.

I'm of the mindset that we should not kick ourselves for having stuff. We should only kick ourselves for spending money on stuff that we don't use. It never ceases to amaze me when I see people list a dozen stamp sets in the buy/sell forum that have never been used. But then, I'm just as bad.

I'm guilty of not using consumables like paint, Jolee's stickers (I scrapbook), "special" paper. A part of me is afraid that if I use it will be gone. Well, duh. It will be gone, but I need to remind myself that there will always be something just as cool, just as pretty, just as exciting to take its place.

A long answer for a rhetorical question, huh? LOL
I would be happy to send you some. New in packages not used.

If you want them please pm me with your address.

😄
Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 01:27 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I still remember the days when I didn't have enough supplies to really create a variety of cards. It wasn't easy and it was frustrating. So I'm always thankful my room of card making supplies!

That said, I'm to the tip-top level of what I need and any more will really send the balance toppling over into TOO MUCH STUFF! At the present time I can keep it organized. I don't want so much stuff I'm drowning in it and it's too unruly to keep in order.

I do LOVE using up my dsp, ribbon, buttons, etc. It doesn't go down very fast as I really don't make that many cards. I'm really content with what I have and don't plan to buy much this year.

That said, it is truly fun to get new product and to create with it. Plain and simple.

I mainly buy SU (90%) and that helps limit my spending as well as I like to buy shoes, coats, clothes, jewelry, etc. My $$$$ only goes so far!

Like Biblesistersmom I too have had stamp sets in the garage sale bin and all of a sudden needed that stamp for a certain card. More than once I have been happy I hadn't sold a certain set. I have plenty of storage and it's not a problem to keep them around. I have sold maybe 15 sets over the years.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 01-05-2016 at 01:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my goodness...Great thread!

I go thru the 'to purge or not to purge' routine at least once a month. It always starts with the machines. They all tend to do ONE thing the others don't. In my mind I want to get down to ONE machine or two, a single manual die cutter and a single electronic one.

My stamp addiction fits into ONE of Tiffany's Travel Binders, the one that zips. but, I don't use them all, after 2 years. I do love paper and have a pile about 18" tall when laid flat.

Oh, well....my SU stamps and dies don't fit into that binder, nor do my Heartfelt ones. Ugh....I LOVE SU and Heartfelt.

Maybe reorganizing is the key....which is where I go after the purge or not to purge...:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 08:26 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm guilty of the very same things.
However ... I have a new 2016 Plan ... ...

Purging has actually become easier to do, with the proliferation of Facebook pages dedicated to selling/trading/garage-sales, etc. I don't live in a location where an actual "garage sale" works ... too far off the highly traveled streets.

So I'm resolving to do a much better job of simply tossing unused items into a box this year. I'm not the kind who will empty the entire room and make a 2-3-4-week+ stint of the daunting task. I'll do it in bites ... box-sized chunks. Then my online & FB outlets will light up with the offerings. Might even add same to my business FB page since a lot of locals check in there as well. Next month should bring my first implementation. Note to self: Do It!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I'm guilty of the very same things.
However ... I have a new 2016 Plan ... ...

Purging has actually become easier to do, with the proliferation of Facebook pages dedicated to selling/trading/garage-sales, etc. I don't live in a location where an actual "garage sale" works ... too far off the highly traveled streets.

So I'm resolving to do a much better job of simply tossing unused items into a box this year. I'm not the kind who will empty the entire room and make a 2-3-4-week+ stint of the daunting task. I'll do it in bites ... box-sized chunks. Then my online & FB outlets will light up with the offerings. Might even add same to my business FB page since a lot of locals check in there as well. Next month should bring my first implementation. Note to self: Do It!
Be sure to check back in so we know how it went with getting rid of some stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

TexasGrammy,

I really love SU! It is so hard not to, seriously!

Will you be boxing up painted petals? I think that is what it is called. I managed to resist last catalog but a deal is always a temptation to fall off the frugal wagon.:p

We are trying to live off our retirement income so hubby can really retire....so I have a reason to be this way...lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
TexasGrammy,

I really love SU! It is so hard not to, seriously!

Will you be boxing up painted petals? I think that is what it is called. I managed to resist last catalog but a deal is always a temptation to fall off the frugal wagon.:p

We are trying to live off our retirement income so hubby can really retire....so I have a reason to be this way...lol.
I have Painted Posies if that is of interest to you. It's a pretty old set, but still beautiful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I just went to look at Painted Petals and it's a good one!
Painted Posies is from 2006.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks, Jennifer....it is Painted Petals I am looking for....doncha love it? Cute stamp set and had lots of videos on YT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

One way I don't end up with too much is I don't duplicate items. I have one score board - the MSteward board. I limp along with a nine year old fisker's paper trimmer, I have a cuttlebug that is eight years old, etc. This helps storage issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #22  

My tools are old, too, but still working great. My Fiskars trimmer is 16 years old and my CB 11 years old. I remember the day I bought my CB. I was so excited! I raced home, put my then two year old down for a nap, and my then four year old and I played around with it to see what we could make!

I noticed, though, that the replacement blades for my trimmer are shorter than they have been and therefore dull faster. That disappoints me and sometimes makes me want to look for a good quality trimmer with long-lasting blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Default Have you ever wondered why you have all this stuff?

Oh, I don't have to wonder. I know. It's an addiction. LOL
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Also there is the real fact that if you don't buy it now, it maybe gone forever. The way new dies are introduced now (so many and so varied), if you wait until a "good price" or you can afford it, then you may not get it again. Look at all the punches... what happened to most of them (well, we know that wafer dies and cartridges pretty much did those in)? There is also those who got started late (or are just starting out) to get the basics of all the Spellbinders circles, ovals, classics and petites. What about the nested pumpkins and eggs? Fortunately, there are alternatives...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 03:30 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I know why I have too many craft items. Two reasons: proximity of craft stores and COUPONS! Ooh, Hobby Lobby has papercrafting items on sale this week? I'll just pop over and see what deals I can find. Not on sale? No problem, I have a coupon. A few years ago the Michaels that was 10 minutes away closed. But I still had HL a quick 5 minutes away. Now that's closing. The nearest stores are now about 20 minutes away...not that far but hopefully now I will go when I really have a particular need in mind and not just wander the aisles with the coupon burning a hole in my pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh yeah, then there are the latest techniques or fads that I get pulled into that bring a whole new set of materials: watercoloring, adult coloring books, Zentangling, planner decorating, Bible journaling. I wonder if Michaels has anything to remove the huge SUCKER sign from my forehead. Let me grab my car keys...and print out some coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 04:07 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Is there too much of a good thing...

Yes, if it causes you to spend more time cleaning and organizing your stuff than you spend creating. 2016 I have decided to only buy consumables, paper, adhesive, etc. That is after my su order arrives today.... Sorry love sale a bration time. I am challenging myself to make cards using older stamp sets and make at least one card a week using my Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 04:14 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been...

a Collector - I couldn't settle for a few colors, I wanted them all

Enabled - If it was recommended as the best thing since sliced bread, I wanted it

a Beaker (sesame street) - I can experiment and test

a MacGyver - I can modify it

SU Demo - I can sell it

I've reformed my ways and completed multiple purges, but I still have a lot but I finally have some control over my urges to try something new, I'm not easily enabled, and coupons are no longer a draw and the best thing is that I love what I have and don't have one guilty feeling over all my toys for doing something that I love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Card Maker 01View Post
Also there is the real fact that if you don't buy it now, it maybe gone forever. The way new dies are introduced now (so many and so varied), if you wait until a "good price" or you can afford it, then you may not get it again. Look at all the punches... what happened to most of them (well, we know that wafer dies and cartridges pretty much did those in)? There is also those who got started late (or are just starting out) to get the basics of all the Spellbinders circles, ovals, classics and petites. What about the nested pumpkins and eggs? Fortunately, there are alternatives...
I solved the buying the latest die problem I cut just about any fancy shape with my Silhouette Cameo. The cut files usually cost me less than 50 cents. They can be made into ANY size you need and they can be edited to your specifications. The Cameo cuts out cards too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I always say that I'm going to try not to buy a lot of stuff, and I always buy a lot of stuff. Things come out that get me excited. I decide I want to go in a new direction artistically and have to have different supplies. It's always something. I try not to be impulsive, and many times I am successful. But since I am a human being and not a Vulcan, I do succumb to my lust and emotions.

Besides, I don't make cards because I need cards to send to people. I could buy cards for that, and more cheaply. I make them because I love the process of doing it, and because being creative is so deeply satisfying to me.

I figure as long as I am not putting myself in debt, or not paying my bills, or neglecting to save, I get to spend on my crafting. I'm retired. My hobbies are what I do. One of them is cheap - I write, so all I need is the computer I already would have anyway. The other- crafting - is definitely not.

(Can you tell that I just bought a bunch of new stuff? I'm the best justifier/rationalizer ever. It's my superpower ;))
You are funny..."I'm not a Vulcan"...I'll have to try that one next time my husband walks into my craft room (aka, office), clutching his heart and gasping to get air into his lungs! He is concerned because I am extremely organized. He figures there's way more in there than he thinks there is...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with CottageBliss....what a great thread!

I have been stamping and card making for a number of years now, and I agree, it was difficult at the beginning because there was always something that was missing, that I needed to complete my next project. Not that I have stopping buying, but I knew I had a good 'stash' when we arrived home from Disney about 5 years ago, and I produced an entire CM album (a big one, with extra pack of pages and page protectors) with all the bells, whistles, embellishments and papers to match the theme of each page of my album, WITHOUT HAVING TO PURCHASE ANYTHING. My husband was clearly not as excited by this news as I was.

I am trying to ease up on my purchases, just the 'necessities', like envelopes and tape...but then I discover Lawn Fawn. Seriously! I pretty much want it all.

I do plan on doing this for awhile, and I don't believe any of my supplies will 'go bad'. I don't want to weed out too much, because this just creates more space to fill with new items (bad!). I certainly don't go into debt to support my habit, and it does not affect my savings plan, etc/. I do weed out certain items I no longer like.

I also used to 'save' good paper, etc/...now...if I like it I use it up...because YES, there will always be something fun, new and exciting to buy (Lawn Fawn???!!!). I don't hang on to papers that I no longer like, I pass it on to my daughter, or to the local school or YMCA after-school program. I suppose I could sell it, but I'm not sure it's worth the time or effort. I also used to stock up on retiring items but I no longer do this. If I run out, I run out...that's a good thing.

With regard to coupons, I would never shop at Michael's without one. I do however have a plan when I walk into the store, I don't aimlessly wander looking for stuff to buy, because I will find something! My current obsession is Copic markers. I only purchase them with a 40% or 50% off coupon, and because I am buying them so slowly (maybe one or two a month), I am buying 'gaps' in my inventory, so I know I will use it.

I like to be organized so I can see what I have, so I can use what I have. I don't spend money I can't afford to spend, so...all good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Have you chosen your word for 2016 yet? Mine is FOCUS. Forget "discovery" which leads to more purchases of the latest new thing. Forget "experiment" that does the same thing and often results in unfinished projects. I am choosing FOCUS --so that I work on one project at a time, so that I finish projects, so that I concentrate on what I have already so I can be thankful for what I have, and use what I have. It applies to so many areas in my life and crafting as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow...great word. I've never had a word of the year, but I like it! Awesome thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #34  

Ok, your husband's reaction and his thinking made me laugh so hard! I can't explain why it tickled my funny bone....maybe it's imagining my husband doing the same thing! My craft space is in our family room, where we all hang out, so the deal was I had to make it look nice, neat, and organized and keep it that way. I have kept my end of the deal and DH never says a word, about any of it. But it still struck me as very funny to imagine him doing what you described!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

I had a gift card and shopped as soon as I could get home from the holiday party! haha.
I had a list of items that I wanted to purchase. Not too many stamp sets, I love what I have and I gave many away over the past year to the girl scout troops. So I have minimized and only bought wafer dies. They don't take too much storage space and they are so versatile. I replaced some bad ink pads that I got from amazon (came to me dry) and I am thrilled. But since I didn't spend a dime of my own money, does that mean I didn't actually purchase anything???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Default Me too

I am also wondering why I have all this stuff! I tend to impulse buy a lot, when a store is going out of business or having a blow out sale, I tend to spend $ on stuff I normally wouldn't buy. I did a little better at this last store closing (in the last couple months) but still I think I went a little overboard.

I am really realizing how much I have now that I am in the middle of packing up all the craft stuff to move my room around to a new part of the house. It has been a huge challenge and it is rather depressing that I've spent so much money on things that I haven't used yet.

My problem is that I seem to love everything, am easily enabled, etc. My other issue is that I have so much that it is hard to know what I really have. I am looking forward to having my new room set up so I can really be selective about what I bring back into the room and what I get rid of. I will be making an inventory of most of my stuff too (probably everything except paper). By the way, paper... OMG I have SO MUCH PAPER! I didn't realize how much I really had. It is INSANE.

I am glad I am not the only one who suffers from this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I am on a fixed income I only go to the craft stores when I think they are running a clearance...I have been fortunate to get 12 x 12 designer paper for a penny but it must work with Stampin Up colors.
I try to stick with one manufacturer (for me Stampin Up) And I really try to buy only what I love. When the new catalogs come out I mark everything I like...then I go through my stamp index to see if there are older sets with similar images. If there are I stamp that image or words next to the new one in the catalog. I go onto Splitcoast and find the older set and ideas in the gallery. Then I wait a week or so and go back through the catalog reviewing the similar sets and the samples I found. The itch to buy has been scratched and I can reduce my "wish list" to must haves. I wait til Sale-a-bration and get extra items free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #38  
Glitter Queen

I try to control myself but then I go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels with my Mom and that's the end of the control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I think Melissa59 hit on a couple of good theories right off the bat. Thinking back to when I had way more than I needed, I think variety and boredom were two big factors. It's always fun to get something new.

When I started stamping, it was almost like collecting art. I fell in love with certain images and just wanted to be able to work with them. Kind of like when VHS tapes first came out (ha ha ha, yes that long ago!).... I could OWN a MOVIE! Wow. That was amazing to me. Stamps were kind of the same thing.

Then, all of the accessories and tools - there's a lot of inspiration out on the wide world of the web, and a lot of it is designed to convince you that you need more products to achieve a certain "look." 'Tis a slippery slope.

Once you figure all of this out, and let go of irrational attachments to various items, and find your absolute favorites that you don't get bored with -- then you can purge. It's liberating and if I had not selectively purged, I would have become overwhelmed and just quit altogether.

Another trick is - don't look at the catalogs or browse the stores ;) . I know, that's hard, but if you don't see it, you won't be tempted.

When you acquired all of your items, it was for a reason and served a purpose. Acknowledge it, and move on .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My initial foray into papercrafting was a struggle because of my extremely limited supplies. I gave up. My next attempt included buying lots of cheap sale/clearance stuff. I ended up with a bunch of stuff that I didn't really like or didn't coordinate with anything else.

Fast forward several years....I now have a completely different mindset on my crafting that includes a set of self-imposed rules. Two of the rules have made a HUGE difference on what I buy:

1) No Bargain Hunting -- It doesn't matter how cheap something is. If I don't love it and won't use it, it's not a bargain. If I walk into Michael's or JoAnn's with a coupon, I know exactly what I'm looking for--sometimes with a few backup ideas in case they are out of what I want. Other times, I will leave empty handed.

2) I don't buy anything on impulse. I have a craft wish book where I write down things I want. I don't buy anything that has not been on my wish list for at least a week. The list allows me to experience the thrill of shopping without actually buying anything. It also gives me time to mull things over, prioritize, consider what I want to get first and, sometimes, cross things off my list that I no longer want.
Reply With Quote Likes