Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 AM   #41  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this certainly has been a funny thread opener Holly.
I found a spool of thread quite chewed up in our living room on the floor the other day. I picked it up and saw it had a needle sticking in it. I sometimes stick the needle in the top of a spool. that really scared me. I can't believe after all those years of baby proofing the house I have to go back through and pet proof. Ugh.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My dog Amber is my best stamping companion!! My stamp/craft room is the spare bedroom, so the bed is behind me. Amber always comes in, hops on the bed, and just sleeps away while I stamp. She always leaves when I leave. During the day, my sons close all the bedroom doors when they leave the house, so the craft room is usually safe. So far so good, she has never gotten into anything. She loves plastic though, so she will chew on plastic things when we are gone if-she finds anything plastic to chew on, such as tupperware. We leave plenty of kongs out for her to chew on if she needs a chew. She also likes those really hard bones the pet stores sell. We originally filled them with peanut butter, but she just likes them now to chew on. She's six years old now, so she doesn't get into too many things anymore. She still will chew on the occaisional piece of plastic if we are gone too long. I sure do love it though when she is my sleeping stamping companiion!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

My dog Amber is my best stamping companion!! My stamp/craft room is the spare bedroom, so the bed is behind me. Amber always comes in, hops on the bed, and just sleeps away while I stamp. She always leaves when I leave. During the day, my sons close all the bedroom doors when they leave the house, so the craft room is usually safe. So far so good, she has never gotten into anything. She loves plastic though, so she will chew on plastic things when we are gone if-she finds anything plastic to chew on, such as tupperware. We leave plenty of kongs out for her to chew on if she needs a chew. She also likes those really hard bones the pet stores sell. We originally filled them with peanut butter, but she just likes them now to chew on. She's six years old now, so she doesn't get into too many things anymore. She still will chew on the occaisional piece of plastic if we are gone too long. I sure do love it though when she is my sleeping stamping companion!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My little dasch loves paper. Especially if you are trying to read the newspaper while sitting on the floor, she will play with it. If you are trying to wrap gifts on the floor, she will sit right in the middle of what you are doing, preventing you from wrapping the gift. She will open gifts if left around, she will bury her toys in any paper scraps lying around from wrapping gifts. Twice this holiday, we have had to go out in the trash and find her toy, because we could not find it in the house, and sure enough it was in with the torn up Christmas wrap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

My two year old american cocker spaniel is a paper lover!! She will get into anything that has paper, not to eat it but to shred it.
I have a few friends that come over once a week to craft and we quickly learned to put the garbage can on the table to prevent her from getting into the scraps. But she learned fast, now she sticks her nose into everyone's bags looking for paper, the girls are careful but every once in a while she finds a little piece.
I have learned to put all my paper up away from her and thankfully she doesn't eat ribbon but I can't get mad at her when she looks at me with those big eyes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

"Tell me I'm not the only one who'd want to sit down and cry"

Nope. You are not alone sister! I cried when my dog ate my eyeglasses.
:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Oh, I almost forgot about the time the UPS man left my order on the porch and I came home to wood blocks and rubber all over the place. It wouldn't have been so bad, but I had a customer's order in there. I called demo support in a panic and they graciously replaced the destroyed sets. I made sure to take pictures and sent them a 12x12 scrapbook page as a thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm so sorry! Yes, our little furbabies can be a handful sometimes. When I was working on my daughter's wedding cards, I had to be extremely diligent. I would have the cards lined up, with the embossing powder on them, just waiting to be heated, when what to my wondering eyes did I see? But my cat running through them, smearing up all my hard work! Woe was me! I got to where I would hide them in closets, cabinets, etc. until I could take them out one by one and heat set them! I'm sure we must seem quite funny in their eyes at the things that send us over the edge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

My 3 year old Chihuahua Abby is a sweet little girl and never gets into anything, I can leave stuff out and not worry about it, however our 4 month old new baby Chihuahua Heidi is another story all together, she has eaten glitter crayons, paper, and I've found teeth marks on a new package of markers.
I love both my girls but sometimes I wonder what I was thinking bringing home that adorable little puppy 2 months ago I can't stay mad at her though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

Holly,
I'm s sorry about the stuff you made.

I do pastel paintings and left them on the bed lying flat so they wouldn't get wrecked. Went bad next day and there were blue cat foot prints that had mysteriously walked from one painting and across the black part of a second painting. I have 2 cats and the guilty party can only be the younger one because the older one is a diabetic that can't jump that high - he needs a stool and there isn't one in that room.

My younger cat also is able to get into things - he has a special talent. He can open cupboard doors and he just takes what he wants if there is something there he likes. He can open the bread box we bought to keep him from eating all the bread that we had to keep in the microwave.... He made me think I was crazy the night I discovered he was opening the fridge. 3 times in 10 minutes.... Thank heaven he has forgotten he knows how to do that.... There are teeth marks in some of my tupperware that he has tried to open up.

The old guy has a plastic chewing fettish. Any plastic bag left around gets chewed on. Sometimes he swallows and then vomits... but most of the time it just looks like a rat lives with us and is trying to get into all things in plastic bags. So any stamp sets that come in the plastic sleeves have to be put away right away or they look like a rat got into them the next morning. I'm really careful with my Little Monkeys sleeves!!!

The best story though was at a friend's who taught Creative Memories. There were about 8 ladies there learning how to make Easter animals out of punches and we had all basically finished our creations. Her cat Robyn is the sweetest guy but he also like to hang out. he jumped up on the table onto somebdy's stuff and my friend shooed him off, and he sprayed **** gland juice all over this poor lady's stuff. My friend made her new ones but the poor woman was horrified. and it doesn't help that I'm a vet and two other gals there work with me and we were sitting in one corner howling with laughter. My friend ended up laughing too and we still laugh about it.

It is amazing what animals I have seen have eaten. We had a gal call up one day and said her puppy ate a thong. I'm old enough that I thought flip flop first and then discovered it was underwear. We had her get him to throw it up. Since then the same puppy has eaten tennis balls and I can't remember what the last thing he ate was. But he's been really really lucky. The strangest thing I've ever taken out of a stomach surgically was a stomach full of rocks - this dog actually ate gravel sized rocks and just kept eating and eating and eating. Thank God we got them all out. Her stomach was soooo heavy I couldn't lift it out of her abdomen until I'd removed most of the rocks. she did well and is still around doing her thing. There are the dogs that eat plastic bags and poop them out somehow.... I can't even imagine how icky that would feel.

My girlfriend's dog ate 3 granola bar wrappers and topped them off with pieces of blanket, straw and some feed corn. Not good. But we got it all out and she was fine. Fastest gut surgery I've ever done in my life and the most nervous I'd been doing surgery ever.

Aren't pets the best???? I wouldn't trade mine for the world no matter what they did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Wow, that is so odd. Sorry to hear that.

My mother's dog once tried to eat a rubber stamp. I had left them sitting up on the bed (and elevated bed) where I thought she couldn't reach. I came back and one was missing I started looking all over for it and the dog had it in her mouth!!

I don't know if this is true for dogs, but I have become very careful with my cat now. Some years ago I caught her LICKING the photos. I guess there is some chemical on there that she likes. So caution cat owners (and maybe dog owners too)--watch your animals around the photos. They may find they like the taste like my cat does.

Holley
a new project everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #52  
Watercolor Wizard

Yikes, Holley, someone posted earlier in this thread that photo developer is toxic to cats--good thing you're watching out so carefully!

Thanks for all the laughs y'all--just what I needed!

And for the person who asked about the color of the, uh, processed chewed up projects. . . . the input was mostly Brilliant Blue, Brushed Gold and Brushed Silver. . . . the output (my DH tells me) was a bizarre green. . . .

Last edited by hollylogic; 01-03-2010 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

arg, my dog decided to give me a story to add to this thread last night! she's 9 months old, and i was on this site, looking for inspiration, and she went in my craft room, got my re-inker of riding hood red (of course, one i can't replace) and started chewing on it. and my craft room has carpet, not tile, linoleum, or something else easy to get ink off.....bless her heart (grrrr) although, i'm glad i saw it before i saw her, otherwise i would have thought she had cut herself and was bleeding to death! most of it has cleaned up, and the last little bits i put table salt on, i heard it would absorb stains. i'll post if it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

Well I feel pretty lucky. We have a bunny (see avatar) and she loves to chew on paper but she's pretty lazy and mostly just likes to sit under a chair when she is out of her pen. If you keep it off the floor she won't get it. She has chewed on several school books that were inadvertently left on the floor.
I will have to remember about the photos being toxic and keep them out of reach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollylogicView Post
Has something like this ever happened to you?

Yesterday I finished up several projects. They're all 3D projects using a new Big Shot die, for a blog hop that starts January 1 (you know, like today?).

Oh I'm so proud of myself. . . . honey, don't you think these turned out nice? . . . .So cute, lined up on the table. . . I bet they'll look even nicer after you photograph them in your new light box. . . let's do that after we run to the store--I want to pick up a few things before we go out tonight. . . .

So, off we go to the store for, at most 30 minutes. And when we get home,

THE DOG HAD EATEN MY PROJECTS!!!!

The dog who always is so good.

The dog who never gets into anything.

The dog whose toy collection just doubled, thanks to Santa Paws.

The dog whose daddy loads her chew toys with treats every time we leave the house.

The dog who has grown up so much since we adopted her last February.

I did manage to get two of my three projects recreated for the hop--but goodness gracious!

Tell me I'm not the only one who'd want to sit down and cry. . . . .
This is too funny! It reminds me of a dog I had back home while I was in middle and high school. She ate everything! I had book left on the coffee table, and had to leave for like 30 min, never mind that the book was borrowed from my friend. She ATE the book!
Not to mention whole chocolate bars. oranges, served food my parents had prepared for me when I get back from school in the evening, shoes etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

When our dog was 8 months old, we had to go to a funeral and there was a thunderstorm. My dh put the dog in the garage and wanted to take my car out of the garage as well so there would lots of room for her but I thought 1/2 of the garage was good enough. In the 3 hrs we were gone, she destroyed everything on that half of the garage...50 lbs. of kitty litter, fertilizer all over, chewed up camping equipment - you get the picture. 2 years later (and chewing up lots of things where ever we put her, esp. the yard), she's finally settling down. Its been a long haul!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 AM   #57  
Watercolor Wizard

Well, I finally finished my last project for the blog hop.

It was a little stressful making it--every time the dog walked in the room, I could have sworn she was licking her chops!

THanks for all the adventure stories y'all; I'm glad to know my dog isn't the only little rascal out there. . . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #58  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoLeeView Post
arg, my dog decided to give me a story to add to this thread last night! she's 9 months old, and i was on this site, looking for inspiration, and she went in my craft room, got my re-inker of riding hood red (of course, one i can't replace) and started chewing on it. and my craft room has carpet, not tile, linoleum, or something else easy to get ink off.....bless her heart (grrrr) although, i'm glad i saw it before i saw her, otherwise i would have thought she had cut herself and was bleeding to death! most of it has cleaned up, and the last little bits i put table salt on, i heard it would absorb stains. i'll post if it works!
so sorry this happened. you would have given the vets office something to talk about though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

I rescued both our mini schnauzers and although they've never destroyed or chewed anything, our male schnauzer finds it necessary to lift his leg every time a strange dog enters the house! He was 5 when I got him and not used to being inside a house for any length of time.

Luckily, he's never peed on furniture, just washable stuff, like the front door or a wall!

So, when I used some wire shelf sets to make a 12x12 paper holder, and we moved my craft room back upstairs, I found the perfect place on the floor next to my table to place this nice unit. My DH was quick thinking and said, "You MAY want to think about NOT putting that on the floor where Prince can pee on it!"

DH was so right, of course and it sits on another table!

I do, however, have a kitty who thinks he needs to lay on my computer keyboard, my paper trimmer, or any other surface he chooses while I'm using it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollylogicView Post
And for the person who asked about the color of the, uh, processed chewed up projects. . . . the input was mostly Brilliant Blue, Brushed Gold and Brushed Silver. . . . the output (my DH tells me) was a bizarre green. . . .
hahaha, well, i wondered if it came out as confetti... :lol:

and fwiw, the salt trick did NOT work......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

Scoop in the moonlight?--thanks the laugh!!!! You never know what those fur-babies might get into. I have a 12 year basett hound that has slowed down considerably just this year, but he still gets into the trash every chance he gets!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

This thread has been so funny. I'm glad to know that my pets aren't the only ones who get into things. My cat once knocked 2 1/2 pounds of smoked salmon off of the top of the refriderator and my 3 dogs dogs ate the whole thing. When I came home all I found was a few scraps of the plastic food saver bag left. All three of my dogs were drinking a lot of water after that. This same cat could also open cabinet doors. We don't have any children but had to put child proof locks on some the kitchen cabinets. Especially the one where the dog food was kept. Unfortunately, that cat died a couple of years ago and I still miss him. We recently got a kitten named Chance, who is now 6 months old. If I don't shut my craft room door when I'm working on a project he will just be into everything. I can't seem to get anything done when I'm watching him so close. I hear myself saying, No Chance, don't touch that Chance, leave that alone Chance! LOL

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Sounds like our house!

We have 2 Pomeranians. One, Callie 10 years old, one, Bella 16 weeks. The puppy has earned two nicknames...she's either Sweet Pea, or Snarky!

The older one is an angel. Never a peep out of her. Always wanting to snuggle or snooze. The pup...lookout! She is trouble with paws! She gets into everything and does it with a smile on her face and a "Did I do that" look once caught.

I feel your pain. We have to keep everything at table level (cause she's a wee one at only 3lbs) so that she can't get at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoLeeView Post

Oxyclean laundry powder and water to make paste works wonders! Let it sit a few minutes and then scrub/rinse it out, get the water out with a towel and let it dry.

When my son was small, he decided to draw on my white carpets with Sharpies. It got everything up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh nooooooooooooooooo :(

Your dog looks like my Louie! Louie has put his big black nose on some..but NEVER eaten them. Maybe he/she is getting jealous that you spend time crafting? I don't know....
Louie lays at my feet where ever I go in the house...he is there. After reading this, Im going to make sure I put all my stuff up high so he can't eat my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

Your post made me laugh out loud! (Although I know it's not funny....)

We've got a Chocolate Lab, 11 months now, who gets into EVERYTHING. We've had everything from legos, action heros, dolls, shoes, scarves, gloves, kitchen towels, ladles and yes, stamping projects chewed and rechewed. Most are just chewed up and spit out. He loves to shred cardboard and paper too. What is it with that?

I've gotten really good at scanning any room when I walk in but sometimes miss something. He's pretty big at 90 pounds and can reach into amazing places. The worst (and scariest) was that he grabbed a big chopping knife OUT OF THE SINK! Luckily he was fine with no cuts in his mouth, but the knife now gets put in the dishwasher immediately after use.

Thanks all for the other funny pet stories. They might be trouble but they do brighten our lives most days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #67  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had one of our Cat's eat my work.....But one of them threw up on one of my cards. With a Hairball. Yucky!!

There are 3 lovely fur balls in our house. two of them are mine and the one belongs to my best friend.

Sarge and Hobo love to lay in and on my stamping desk or in my lap. Mostly when I'm trying to do something.
Attached Thumbnails
Has your pet ever done this to you?-sarge-his-perch-feb-08.jpg   Has your pet ever done this to you?-my-baby-hobo-under-table-stamp-room.jpg  

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethshayaView Post
Oxyclean laundry powder and water to make paste works wonders! Let it sit a few minutes and then scrub/rinse it out, get the water out with a towel and let it dry.

When my son was small, he decided to draw on my white carpets with Sharpies. It got everything up!
this is good to know! i'll give it a try, thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes