Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #81  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:mrgreen: LMAO For all of you that have issues with deformed snowflakes, send them my way... I'll use them and post them!!!! :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #82  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesleybdView Post
All of the above

I also hate the over use of the word 'adhere' in crafting. Like 'adhere the button to the front of the card'.

Quite correct but what's wrong with 'stick' or 'glue'!

Lesley
Well, you use ADHESIVE to ADHERE, so it's a specific way of sticking something on instead of a vague generalization. What do you use to "stick" something to something else? If you're not using glue, then you wouldn't necessarily say "glue."

From a publishing standpoint, "adhere" is probably a more specific and better choice rather than "stick" or "glue" for those reasons. I know I personally use a lot of adhesives that are not glues. And it uses fewer words to say "adhere the button" rather than "stick the button on with adhesive." In publishing, it's all about using fewer, more specific words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by herekittyView Post
Well, you use ADHESIVE to ADHERE, so it's a specific way of sticking something on instead of a vague generalization. What do you use to "stick" something to something else? If you're not using glue, then you wouldn't necessarily say "glue."

From a publishing standpoint, "adhere" is probably a more specific and better choice rather than "stick" or "glue" for those reasons. I know I personally use a lot of adhesives that are not glues. And it uses fewer words to say "adhere the button" rather than "stick the button on with adhesive." In publishing, it's all about using fewer, more specific words.
I almost NEVER say "glue" or "stick" because I use a number of different adhesives depending on the materials I'm using. For example: I would say
"I adhered the ribbon to the front of the card." I would NEVER say "I glued the ribbon to the front of the card" because one almost never uses "glue" to adhere ribbon down.

I also say purchased instead of "bought." lol... i'm causing someone a lot of anxiety now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #84  
Matboard Maniac

LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesleybd View Post

I also hate the over use of the word 'adhere' in crafting. Like 'adhere the button to the front of the card'.

Quite correct but what's wrong with 'stick' or 'glue'!

Lesley

Sometimes the word "adhere" is used instead of glue because the object might be "affixed" with glue, brads, Scor-tape, wonder tape, vellum tape, double-sided tape, or whatever else is appropriate. Adhere is a more generic word.

Pet peeves? My husband leaving the mayo out on the counter top after he uses it; forgetting to put the toilet seat down; the misuse or overuse of apostrophes--especially on signs; drivers who assume I can read minds, so they don't use turn signals; websites that don't show prices or shipping costs until after you add items to your shopping cart...

Okay, I'll stop here and go take my meds. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #86  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
When people type or print or create the word your when it should be you're. It just drives me nuts!
Me too!

There are 2 blogs I love to read and both of them do this a lot......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #87  
Matboard Maniac

I have a few pet peeves along these lines. I live in Tennessee, so there are a lot of subject/verb agreement issues in my area (I seen...exhibit A). I even have my own doubts sometimes, because it is so prevalent. I'm a teacher, and the last two student teachers I've had used horrible grammar! I tried so hard to help them with it, because they are amazing. I wanted to do everything I could to assist them in getting a job. My family calls me a grammar Nazi, because they are major offenders as well.

Secondly, I don't like it when people say 'either' meaning both rather than on side or the other. Apparently this technically not a misuse, although it confuses me. Either it's both or it's either as in 'either or'.

Finally, it seems that the use of myself as in Mary and myself' is a recent usage of the word 'myself'....not the way I was taught at all.

Now having said that, punctuation is often confusing to me (I'm extremely guilty of comma splices...never fully understand that). That is why I use the...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #88  
Stampin' Fool

Craft related pet peeves; the use of the word "deets" for details. As in, "check my blog for all the deets". Which brings me to the whole "check my blog" thing. Some days it bugs me more than others. If I'm in a hurry, I'd rather see the details here in the gallery but I get that EVERYONE is busy.

Non craft related: people not turning their headlights on at dusk. Especially, if most of the other cars on the road DO have their headlights on. That one "dark" car in a long line of cars with lights on becomes "invisible". Seriously people, headlights are not just for you to be able to see where you are going, it's so other people can see YOU coming.

When people don't tip my husband ( the pizza delivery guy ). You tip in a restaurant right? This guy has brought dinner to YOUR DOOR. In all KINDS of weather. That delivery charge the business tacks on? That does NOT go to the driver. If in doubt, ask when you place your order. That's for the business to cover their "overhead". And when a driver is on the road the hourly wage goes way below minimum, like around $4.00 per hour. The business expects your tips to bring the delivery person's wage up to minimum. And no matter how far out in the "boonies" you may live, a driver will get,on average, a $1.00 per DELIVERY ( not per mile ) for gas money. And delivering pizza means you have to buy new tires for your car EVERY YEAR. No kidding.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

So I made this again this year - Dum Dum Tree by RiverIsis - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers but with Jolly Rancher lollies for a Christmas party - so why do the kids have to actually destroy the foam to pull a lolly out??!?!?!?! I know it is relatively cheap. But it is also super annoying! The good thing is this time I got the white one so after Christmas I probably will destroy it and make some "snow" for my winter cards next year! I have brought it home to "restock" it for the next round *sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #90  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeann34View Post
YES and people actually misspell my name when it's already written right in front of them, like my screen name or e-mail address!
That is a huge pet peeve of mine. My name is not Dee, DeeAnna, Dean, Donna, Diane, Dina, Dena or any of those other variations. I really, really hate when people call me Dee. Grrrrr!

I know my screen name is kind of fancy so I don't mind the mistakes. A lot of people really believe my name is Lyly. My screen name is not Lyly, lol. It's Lylac Fey if you separated it. I guess Lyly is better than Dee.

I thought of another pet peeve. Stamper's who write on their blogs "THIS IS THE BEST THING EVAH!"

Our craft tools are not sexy. I am always stunned when I see another crafter write that her craft tools are sexy. Ladies, you need to get it our more often if you think your craft tools are sexy, lol. My Cuttlebug is not my idea of sexy. Michael Fassbender's GQ spread was sexy. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #91  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree with the stamp mis-spellings. I actually bought one once, I obviously just glanced at it as I picked it up. How I didn't see it at the time- it was only a single word! Congratulations. Or as they had spelt it Congratualtions. As I am a Brit, and we have a weird version of the language, lol, Spelt is our version of how you say spelled ;)
I'm another hater of text speak too-apart from lol, I can live with that one. We have a niece who posts on Facebook- I won't even try to decipher her posts any more. Hubby posted back to her one day "Sorry, we speak English, could you please provide a translation for the above post? Please feel free to use ALL the keys on your keyboard. Trust me, they will not wear out."
What really worries me though, is that I wonder how many of them think they ARE using correct spellings?
I just remembered my biggest 'daily life' peeve- store assistants chewwing gum/sweets whilst serving! I hate gum anyway, but this really annoys me. I've worked in retail long ago, and we were never, ever allowed to eat /chew anything whilst on the shop floor with customers. I just find it really rude.
Oh, and I work with someone (a supervisor, so she should be better at this sort of thing), who, when she puts up notices with an important point in she wants to draw attention to, instead of putting it in bold, or underlining it, she uses " "! For instance, "You" are responsible for "Your" belongings. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #92  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeann34View Post
YES and people actually misspell my name when it's already written right in front of them, like my screen name or e-mail address!
My name has been misspelled all my life so I really notice when people spell my name right
Like others, huge pet peeve for me is 'I seen'!!! Oh my goodness! Other one is instead of saying 'I need to ask you a question', saying 'I need to ax you a question'!!!! I work in an HR department and I hear those all the time. Makes me crazy every time even after hearing those for 25 years!!!!
Also, the images of girls with the big legs. Love their faces and expressions but not a fan of the big legs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #93  

Ditto what ChrisO said! Drives me batty, and web stores use that spelling in their STORE NAME! Whaaaat?!
no.
Can't shop with you, sorry.:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOView Post
Most of the time I just ignore spelling flubs, especially as more mobile keyboarding is used and without predictive keyboards goofs happen; but there is one I have to mention:
If it is a fingernail on a blackboard or a spatula against the side of a bowl, the word is SCRAPING. If it is ink, pictures and embellishments on paper, the informal word is SCRAPPING. TWO p's. Please. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 AM   #94  
Insane Embellisher

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts

I was ordering some more stamps online here in Shanghai today, and every time I came across a snowflake one, even though I didn't want to buy any snowflakes today, I had to check to see if it had the right number of points. Well, I have to report that the manufacturers may get their English spelling wrong here, or may mix up English, Dutch and German all on the one Santa embellishment, but, trust me, every snowflake I saw on stamps and embellishments today had six points. Yes, they all passed the snowflake inspection with flying colours. ;)
And with only one more sleep before I fly home for Christmas, I am not going to let any pet peeves of mine bother me until I get on that plane ... But you had better warn the crew not to run out of hot chocolate or marshmallows before they get to my seat tomorrow night. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #95  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't know snowflakes had 6 points but being in Australia; I guess my excuse is that it doesn't snow where I live and it is summer at Christmas-time. I am glad that I know but can't stop counting the number of points on my snowflake papers, punches, embossing folders, stamps etc. LOL! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #96  
Insane Embellisher

JoBear2, I love your location. In which part of Australia is your particular coolibah tree located? I'm from Sydney.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #97  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Add me to the not posting here any more. I am dyslexic. I was so nervous posting at forums the first time because I am dyslexic. I really thought I would get teased. Posting has helped a lot with my dyslexia. I know a lot of dyslexics do not post because they fear ridicule from the grammar police.

Craft pet peeves-

Expensive craft tools that do not work.

Too many stamp companies all getting on the same trends. I really do understand because it's a marketing strategy. My favorite companies usually keep the trends to a minimal and stay with their style. I love trends but in smaller doses.
I am so sorry you and others feel this way. Everyone should be able to say what they wish (as long as it is nice) without worrying about if the correct spelling or verb tense was used.There is a time and place for the grammar police but not here. So to all the members here (and imagine the last line of Twas the Night Before Christmas) write away, write away, write away all!

Edited to add: I am a retired first and second grade teacher. I am used to reading various spellings of a word and enjoy seeing how creative some people can be.

Last edited by Diana stamps; 12-21-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #98  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GumBlossomView Post
JoBear2, I love your location. In which part of Australia is your particular coolibah tree located? I'm from Sydney.
Hi GumBlossom My coolibah tree is in the outer NE suburbs of Melbourne. Lovely and bushy with lots of rainbow lorikeets. Love living here - it's beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #99  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking about this thread just now and wondering...to those of you who have mentioned snowflakes with more than 6 sides..do you use the stamps with the mice that play with dolls or dress up for Halloween? I don't use those stamps but not because they are unrealistic but more so because they are just not my style...I was just wondering at what point do people decide that it's ok to stamp bunnies that play dress up but not a snowflake with more or less than 6 sides. Just thinking is all...curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

I love those mice, and never knew about the six pointed snowflakes. I drive mom nuts with my love of "vermin" stamps as she calls them, but I just got another one today. So funny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #101  
Insane Embellisher

CraftyMel2, what a hoot. You have a good point. I don't usually use animal dress up stamps, but I may for a child and I certainly use stamps with Santa riding through the sky in a reindeer drawn sleigh. I also love a stamp of Bethlehem looking like the cosiest, most peaceful place on Earth, which, unfortunately, it isn't always.
It's true that art, including cards and scrapbook layouts, is not necessarily intended to represent the world around us exactly as it is. It may represent the world as seen by the artist, or the artist's view of a fanciful world. Or, it may have the purpose of evoking a mood or sentiment.
Even so, if, for example, I wanted to put a spider on a Halloween card, I could not use a spider with four or six legs, even if it were dressed in a top hat & tails & were tap dancing across the card. Without eight legs, it would not be a spider. I imagine that each person has her/his own idea as to where to draw the line between reality and fancy in their creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #102  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
When people type or print or create the word your when it should be you're. It just drives me nuts!
This is mine too. Now, I'm off to check all my snowflake stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I would use a non-8 legged spider because sometimes the body blocks the ability to see the rest of the legs or maybe the spider had an accident and this is the only way it can make a living by being a stamp model ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #104  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
maybe the spider had an accident and this is the only way it can make a living by being a stamp model ;)
LOVE THIS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #105  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Penmanship, spelling, etc. will bother me when it's on something I want to buy (won't buy it), but not here. And I really don't care how many points a snowflake has, if it's a pretty snowflake. I color elephants purple, roses green with white spots, eight pointed snowflakes, 12 pointed stars, etc. I don't always want to be realistic in my art. Sometimes I just want to have fun. I just wish more companies had more realistic animals as stamps, but I use all of them anyway. One of my pet peeves is using RIP for rest in peace when someone dies. As the last bit of respect before that person is forever gone, it would be nice to take the time to write the whole thing out. And the phrase, I'm sorry for your loss. It's so generic! And, why do some drivers insist on leaving 20 car lengths between cars when they turn a corner, but leave half a car length doing 80 mph on the highway! Ah well, we all have our quirks & it makes life so much more interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Oh I would use a non-8 legged spider because sometimes the body blocks the ability to see the rest of the legs or maybe the spider had an accident and this is the only way it can make a living by being a stamp model ;)
This is so...perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #107  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not related to crafts but my pet peeve is people who park in the fire lane, cause they are too sorry to park in regular space. Here is my town this happens a lot, especially at the dollar store. I've seen whole families waddle into the store, no handicap, just too sorry to walk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #108  

My pet peeve at Christmas time would be cards with typed generic newsletters and family photo cards that are unsigned. I'd rather see one small sentence or none at all than some lengthy newsletter but at least hand sign them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #109  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiz2003View Post
My pet peeve at Christmas time would be cards with typed generic newsletters and family photo cards that are unsigned. I'd rather see one small sentence or none at all than some lengthy newsletter but at least hand sign them.
I get one of those newsletters every year and I look forward to it because I can laugh about this "perfect" family. Yes, I know this is very mean. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #110  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
That is a huge pet peeve of mine. My name is not Dee, DeeAnna, Dean, Donna, Diane, Dina, Dena or any of those other variations. I really, really hate when people call me Dee. Grrrrr!

. ;)
oh my goat!

Preach it sistah!

My name is Elizabeth. I frequently sign things E

DO NOT FREAKING CALL ME LIZ.

I have this one person, named Russ, who insists on calling me Liz - even though I have nicely mentioned that my name is Elizabeth and if that's too long, just call me E or BB (another nickname that kiddos use because Elizabeth was so long).

He goes "sure Liz, I get you - but Elizabeth is just so hard to say." (well that's why i go by E or BB). So I now call him "***" ... When he asked me what's up with that - I said - well Russ is too hard to say...

He hasn't spoken to me in about 6 months... darn. :twisted:

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #111  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

And I have this one person - she's a Realtor. And she has no idea the difference between since and sense. She sends out newsletters all the time with that mistake (not to mention the two/to/too and their/there/they're flubs). I used to be a proofreader and have offered to check her stuff before she sends it out and she says - oh, no worries, that's what spell check is for...

I have even anonymously taken her newsletter, proofread it, marked those mistakes and sent it back to her - and she hasn't changed anything.

On a personal level, no biggie - but professionally.. yikes!!! and she wonders why she doesn't have that big of a client base...

**note, I don't proofread forum posts very often - sorry for any mistakes! lol!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #112  

Leeann34,
I laughed so hard at your reply to the newsletter. I don't think it's mean at all. In fact I thought it was normal! We do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #113  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 368 Likes on 286 Posts

Wow. I didn't know this thread existed! It's pure vent therapy! I actually went into a panic. I raced back to my card descriptions to see if I spelled Memento correctly.

Relief.

I did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

Guilty of the mass letter AND printed names - not guilty of the perfect life and I also sign them AND address them to the individual members of the house so it will have "Uncle Bob and Aunt E" etc. That's my compromise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmscopingView Post
And I have this one person - she's a Realtor. And she has no idea the difference between since and sense. She sends out newsletters all the time with that mistake (not to mention the two/to/too and their/there/they're flubs). I used to be a proofreader and have offered to check her stuff before she sends it out and she says - oh, no worries, that's what spell check is for...

I have even anonymously taken her newsletter, proofread it, marked those mistakes and sent it back to her - and she hasn't changed anything.

On a personal level, no biggie - but professionally.. yikes!!! and she wonders why she doesn't have that big of a client base...

**note, I don't proofread forum posts very often - sorry for any mistakes! lol!
Wow! the fact that she doesn't get that those things put "big clients" off is truly mind blowing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #116  

Kristen (RiverIsis)
I apologize since I didn't mean to offend anyone. The newsletters I get are not news but more bragging type thing. So sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #117  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
Stamp companies that misname their flowers. If it is supposed to be a real flower, maker sure it's the correct one! There are at least two companies that have collection of different flowers where one flower is misnamed. The flower name is part of the stamp. I cannot buy the stamps!
Ah, yes! Might you be referring to the infamous baby food flower, the "Gerber" daisy? That's Gerbera!! Not Gerber. Non crafty related is the term "religiously". I never thought much about using the word to describe something that was regularly done, but then I was reading Dear Abby and someone wrote in and said that it bugged them. They said, " What does this mean?. Does it mean that you are down on your knees in a prayerful posture? Are you in church?" It made me think and now I use the term faithfully instead. Darn Dear Abby! Now I'm a card carrying member of the grammar police. To protect and nitpick!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #118  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
Penmanship, spelling, etc. will bother me when it's on something I want to buy (won't buy it), but not here. And I really don't care how many points a snowflake has, if it's a pretty snowflake. I color elephants purple, roses green with white spots, eight pointed snowflakes, 12 pointed stars, etc. I don't always want to be realistic in my art.
That's me too. I have to be realistic in life. I don't want to be realistic in art. I have to admit since this thread I have been counting snowflakes, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessaduckView Post
Wow. I didn't know this thread existed! It's pure vent therapy! I actually went into a panic. I raced back to my card descriptions to see if I spelled Memento correctly.

Relief.

I did.
I thought that too. It's pure vent threapy! This is a fun thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #119  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiz2003View Post
Kristen (RiverIsis)
I apologize since I didn't mean to offend anyone. The newsletters I get are not news but more bragging type thing. So sorry.
And I as well. Vey sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 03:46 AM   #120  
Insane Embellisher

RiverIsis "Oh I would use a non-8 legged spider because sometimes the body blocks the ability to see the rest of the legs or maybe the spider had an accident and this is the only way it can make a living by being a stamp model"

Thank you. You made me laugh out loud.
Reply With Quote Likes