Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2021, 08:53 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 857 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Glue or ATG...

How many of you have switched from tape to glue? I am using glue lots more, as I've had too many cards come loose with the tape, especially thicker layered ones. I still have ATG tape, so I am just using on the inside to attach the inside panel. Which do you prefer?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2021, 03:27 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I still use my ATG gun, but mostly for placing mats on the card fronts or a mat for the inside sentiment. I still have a slight problem using glue, as it seems to curl or make the lighter papers wrinkled. I have used glue on the envelopes, and there too, you can see where it was placed. I used the Art Glitter glue, but recently bought the Bear glue (haven't opened it yet). After watching Natasha Foote on you tube, I have started using the tear tape on some card mats. I like the idea of tearing away only a portion of the tape, putting it in place and then removing the rest of the tape. It makes adjusting the mat to be centered so easy. I see a lot of crafters use the glue on mats, but when I do, I can see the lines - even placing it a lightly as possible. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. My craft buddy in California only uses Elmer's Glue. She buys it by the gallon and just refills small bottles. I tried it, but didn't like the results.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by mac4551:
cookie1031 (06-09-2021), fl_beachbum (06-07-2021), NinaBeth (06-09-2021), sue in so cal (06-08-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 04:06 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I prefer glue. I find it much more dependable and most practical for all uses. It takes up less space and always easier to have on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lazylizard:
pepperann (06-07-2021), pfish1492 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 05:17 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use both. When I'm gluing light to medium papers, I use my ATG or smaller tape runners. Sometimes the smaller ones are better for smaller pieces. If I'm gluing heavyweight or watercolor papers, I use liquid glue. The key to not warping the paper is to apply the glue sparingly. A little goes a long way.

When I watch card makers or scrapbookers apply huge globs of glue, I wonder what their projects look like when they're dry.

My ATGs are 2 of the best crafting investments I've ever made.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
dahlia19 (06-09-2021), Farmeranne (07-07-2021), suenan (06-14-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:12 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use both but have been using glue more and more after giving the Nuvo glue a try. I had tried some of the others and they were just so wet and they warped things easily. Love the Nuvo glue. I don't have an ATG gun but use the double sided tape in a dispenser and/or a tape runner. Am pretty disenchanted with the tape runners as they seem to be unreliable with some layers. Hence the move to using more glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I use glue pretty much exclusively. If not glue, then I'll use scor-tape.

The humidity in Florida is too great and the ATG-type tape does not hold up well here.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by RJP111:
Joy-full (06-16-2021), leibetty (06-09-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:45 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I have some of the Glitter Glue and an unopened bottle of Gina K. Connect glue. I like the glitter glue; it does dry pretty fast, so not much wiggle room for moving anything. I have read that the Bear glue is good too. I have a bottle of Joann's Tacky glue, and wondered if I put it in a bottle that only dispenses a very thin line, if it would work alright. I tried using it from the big bottle, and it puts down too much and it warps/wrinkles the paper.
I like reading what all of you use and the experiences you've had. Maybe the humidity is affecting the tape here too.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Jaige (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I rarely use a tape runner of any kind anymore. In fact, I started with the Xyron runner and can't even get the refills anymore. (I live in Canada). I LOVE the Art Glitter Dries Clear Glue. 🥰. I tried Tombow and it drives me crazy. Too messy, and not water-soluble. The Art Glitter Glue is water soluble so cleans of my hands, my rubber mat etc so easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Dianne Barton:
Cathy4 (06-09-2021), Country Twinkle (06-09-2021), STINKY (07-28-2021), sue in so cal (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

Kristie Marcotte uses Bearly Art Precision Craft glue...I tried it and it is wonderful. Highly recommend.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by ondinesgirl:
mphb (07-20-2021), sue in so cal (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have switched to Art Glitter Glue for most uses. Still use some glue stick and occasionally use tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

I hadn't ever heard of the Bearly Art glue so, I looked it up. From the description, it sounds a lot like the Art Glitter Glue. In fact, they call it the best. Art Glitter Glue available. 😉. The main difference is that they say it is freeze/thaw stable and can be shipped year round. The Art Glitter Glue cannot be shipped in cold weather. Will see if it is available anywhere in Canada. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #12  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Yes - glue hard core - it's more dependable and forgiving.

In case you didn't know it - if you felt like Tombow Mono Multi made your hands sticky it's because it's a two way glue - so it's designed to be tacky when dry. People in my class group weren't aware of that and just thought it wasn't working properly! But it's just a glue for different tasks.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
kazooMI (07-07-2021), shirlb19 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dianne Barton - I live in Texas so cold is not generally a problem (except for this March - LOL), got down to 20 degrees.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Yes - glue hard core - it's more dependable and forgiving.

In case you didn't know it - if you felt like Tombow Mono Multi made your hands sticky it's because it's a two way glue - so it's designed to be tacky when dry. People in my class group weren't aware of that and just thought it wasn't working properly! But it's just a glue for different tasks.
Yes, I did know that but I really don't like the mess of dealing with it! 🤣
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Can you use the Tombo muti glue on stencils instead of stencil sprays? I thought I read that here or somewhere else. Would love if I could use it for that, as I don't like sprays. I thought I read that you could lightly cover them, let them dry and then use the stencils. I might have to try it on a small piece to see if it would work, or if it would tear the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default ATG

I use both, but I love my ATG and would be lost without it. I use it for layering mats, always, and also for attaching fussy cut images. It works much better than normal double-sided tape because you can just peel away any adhesive that gets out of bounds.
I do use glue for very small images and E 6000 for any weighty embellishments. I also use the Quicky Glue Pen for super tiny additions.

Last edited by CardCountess; 06-08-2021 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Likes
NinaBeth (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I was using mainly my ATG or Art Glitter Glue but have gone mostly with Tombow Mono Multi lately.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
pepperann (07-05-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use eileens tacky glue. For the life of me, tape dispensers or atgs hate me! There's got to be a something I don't do right because after a few swipes, they just stop dispensing! Lol. Tacky glue is my friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

ATG became my number 1 glue. I got tired of buying small running tape that would clog or just going to the trash after done. I got a bearly glue because of the fine tip for embellishments and die cuts. I have a tombow that I use when the paper have texture or glitter because the ATG doesn’t work very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Elmer's Craft Bond. It's similar to Aleen's Tacky Glue, but much less expensive. I use it on everything. If the paper is light and might wrinkle, then I use a small hard plastic wallpaper seam brayer to "iron" the wet glue flat after putting the two pieces of paper together. I found my brayer at a garage sale for a quarter, but I see they are sold at Home Depot in the wallpaper or paint dept or on Amazon.
I'm tape runner challenged and no matter what glue stick I use, it all pops after a while in my card storage box. Aggravating! My favorite tape to use, before Walmart quit selling it in the refillable boxes, was Scotch brand double sided tape that I could refill my own dispenser with. Yes, I've looked at office stores, but those cost more than Walmart sold them for. So it's Elmer's Craft Bond for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I use my ATG for most projects but have been using Scor-tape for 3-D items like boxes or favor bags. Scor-tape is my go-to for adhering heavy weight embellishments, or just about anything on an embossed card base. I use glue sticks to adhere lightweight paper on card bases, and they seem to hold well enough. The only time I use glue is for intricate die cuts or small embellishments. None of the glues I tried suited me until I tried Aleenes tacky glue gel. Tacky glue was too apt to wrinkle the paper, but the glue gel seems thicker..and it seems to dry more quickly so I don't get slippage.
Still looking for a fine tipped glue dispenser though, because the glue pens run out so quickly.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2021, 10:54 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

That's what I meant to say, was that I have a bottle of Aleene's Tacky Glue. Where did I get Joann's? lol.....Great idea about the brayer! I never have thought to use one for that. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush'd LadyView Post
I use Elmer's Craft Bond. It's similar to Aleen's Tacky Glue, but much less expensive. I use it on everything. If the paper is light and might wrinkle, then I use a small hard plastic wallpaper seam brayer to "iron" the wet glue flat after putting the two pieces of paper together. I found my brayer at a garage sale for a quarter, but I see they are sold at Home Depot in the wallpaper or paint dept or on Amazon.
I'm tape runner challenged and no matter what glue stick I use, it all pops after a while in my card storage box. Aggravating! My favorite tape to use, before Walmart quit selling it in the refillable boxes, was Scotch brand double sided tape that I could refill my own dispenser with. Yes, I've looked at office stores, but those cost more than Walmart sold them for. So it's Elmer's Craft Bond for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
That's what I meant to say, was that I have a bottle of Aleene's Tacky Glue. Where did I get Joann's? lol.....Great idea about the brayer! I never have thought to use one for that. Thank you!
In answer to your first question about Tacky glue, I put it in a small needle tip bottle and add water till the consistency is such that it will come out of the needle okay and yet retain as much of the thick tackiness as possible. I have been using it for twenty plus years and it’s my most reliable glue. I do have about twenty other types of adhesive that I use for various specialty purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 04:14 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Can you use the Tombo muti glue on stencils instead of stencil sprays? I thought I read that here or somewhere else. Would love if I could use it for that, as I don't like sprays. I thought I read that you could lightly cover them, let them dry and then use the stencils. I might have to try it on a small piece to see if it would work, or if it would tear the paper.
You probably could. I use it to apply gilding flakes. I recently used a leaf stencil and used a sponge to apply the glue through it. I waited about 10 minutes for it to dry. Since it dries tacky, the gilding flakes worked perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 04:42 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to use tape runners, then went to glue dots, and now recently I mostly use Bearly Art glue. I refill the small needle tip bottles I buy, and they are so easy to hold and use. My next go-to is tear tape, depending on the project. I’m really surprised at how many are glue users - I used to think the ATGs were the go-to, but for some reason they never worked for me. Remember that scene in Grease where the school secretary is trying to replace the typewriter ribbon and both hands are full of the ribbon and it’s all over the place? That’s me with an ATG 😂
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 07:01 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tape or Glue

I use Beacon 3-n-1 Advanced glue or a fast dry tacky glue for most. I use the Scor-Tape for adding cardstock or ribbon to gift boxes and a hot glue gun for to add metal embellishments. When I first started crafting, I was using the double sided tape for most crafting but too much warping. The last bottle of Beacon 3-n-1 glue, I had a toxic smell from the bottle but first time ever this happen. Otherwise, I will switch back to Aleene fast and dry tacky glue again if my next Beacon glue has this smell which I think is dangerous to be smelling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 12:01 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Thank you Susie and Scrapjanny, I will have to try each to see how it works for me! Sounds like they will work though!
Kmt, your description made me laugh! I remember that scene from Grease well!
Nancy, I haven't seen the Beacon glue before. I am like you; I would be leery of a toxic type smell.
Now I will have to figure out how to use a couple of the glues I got at the Dollar Tree in the past. One is an aerosol spray glue. I recently saw someone speak about it on Youtube, and they gave it a horrible review, so I'll just have to try it on different things later on to see if I can find a use for it. I'm not crazy about spray glues that are aerosol. The other one is a pump glue, and I've used it a couple of times. It's sort of hit or miss for reliability. It worked okay if I could spray it the right amount, but that was tricky.
I also have a can of the Elmer's spray glue, but I rarely use it. I think it is like the Tombo glue; I think it is repositionable if it is allowed to dry. Might have to try it on a stencil one day to see. I could always try them on a scrap piece of plastic first to see, so I wouldn't mess up a stencil.
Who knew there was so much to learn about glue?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #28  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Quote:

I use tombow on masks that I make from cardstock or paper, so, should work the same on stencil. maybe I will try that tonight?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have tried the green Tombow glue on stencils, and it is sticky. I put too much on one stencil and that rips the paper often when I use it. So the next time I applied it more lightly with a sponge brush, and that worked better, so I would say to experiment and just not use too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hercules

I use mostly Hercules tacky glue put into a needle tip glue bottle and don't have trouble with wrinkling or with things falling apart. It's also super cheap, 1 or 2 dollars at Michaels usually. I also use Tombow mono multi occassionally, but it's much more expensive.

My biggest worry is things falling apart later since I have multiple people who tell me they save every card I send!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Forgot to add that it does not have to be watered down to use in the needle tip bottle. Just fill and go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2021, 07:18 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Glues, Glues, and more Glues

I have tried several types over the years and some are okay, some poor. I find with the liquid glues I like to apply then spread with a finger or tool to spread it out thin instead of a line, which helps to stop the warping and line showing through. The needle point glue bottles help. I don't like tape runners.
My favourite of all glues tried is Aleene's Super Thick Tacky Glue with the pink label. It isn't available anymore sadly. If anyone knows of a glue that is identical please let me know. I wonder if Tiffany or Heidi are still around crafting they would know. It may be under a new label now.
Attached Thumbnails
Glue or ATG...-dfb29642-a4ed-44df-bebd-810034987737.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
susie718 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Default Another idea...

Yes! Paste

This is what I use for thin papers. I work a lot with magazines which have a very thin paper. It's sort of has a consistency like petroleum jelly. If it starts to dry out after many years, you can just add a drop of water and swirl it around in there and it's like new. I have had my jar for many years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by this is funView Post
Yes! Paste

This is what I use for thin papers. I work a lot with magazines which have a very thin paper. It's sort of has a consistency like petroleum jelly. If it starts to dry out after many years, you can just add a drop of water and swirl it around in there and it's like new. I have had my jar for many years.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard of this glue, but I sometimes work with magazine papers as well and getting an adhesive that doesn't show bumps and irregularities can be difficult.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2021, 08:54 AM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm surprised more crafters didn't recommend Nuvo glue. I love it! I teach card making classes and now have others 'hooked' on it also. It is about $6 for a small bottle, but a very little works well and it lasts forever. It has a very fine tip and I have been able to use every drop in a bottle if I put it in a glue holder toward the end. It's great for use on die cuts. My other go-to for texture or heavier layers is Score Tape. I sell cards and want everything to stay well attached.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Mittens20:
Farmeranne (07-07-2021), kazeka (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmt1000View Post
I used to use tape runners, then went to glue dots, and now recently I mostly use Bearly Art glue. I refill the small needle tip bottles I buy, and they are so easy to hold and use. My next go-to is tear tape, depending on the project. I’m really surprised at how many are glue users - I used to think the ATGs were the go-to, but for some reason they never worked for me. Remember that scene in Grease where the school secretary is trying to replace the typewriter ribbon and both hands are full of the ribbon and it’s all over the place? That’s me with an ATG 😂
Yes! That's me as well when I try to refill my ATG, but my husband has it down and can quickly refill it for me with no drama. I've had my ATG for years from back in my scrapbooking days and it just keeps hanging on. I have recently been using some glue and find myself reaching for it more and more, but I still love my ATG and can't imagine making a card without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the ATG and Zip Dry glue by Beacon. Zip Dry dries VERY fast so rarely ever shows thru a layer. It stays wet long enough to move the paper piece around a little if need be. The negative is that you need to place the top on the bottle after EVERY use so the opening won't get clogged, but if clogged, it is removable quite easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Still looking for a fine tipped glue dispenser though, because the glue pens run out so quickly.
Karen
I have what I consider the perfect dispenser; I use it for Glossy Accents, Ranger Multi-Media Matte, Scrappy Glue, and Golden Gel Medium. I've been using these dispensers for over 2 years now, and have had one clog (I left off the scabbard, so I just replaced it with the needle with a new one. I cannot tell you how much difference these have made for me! Here are links to what I ordered:

16-gauge Blunt Needles

2-Ounce Boston Round Bottles w/Luer Lock Cap

16-gauge Scabbards

Needles are minimum order of 50, bottles minimum of 10, scabbards minimum of 50. The Boston Round bottles are so easy to squeeze; the needles are 1/2" long and are easy to clear if you do get a clog, or are easily replaced.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 06-19-2021 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my ATG. Holds better than the dot runners. I have used a variety of adhesives, but I really hate the messiness of liquid gloe. Only use it when I have to, and I prefer Ranger Mult-Medium Matte because it truly dries clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (07-24-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Beacon 3-n-1 Advanced glue

My other bottles of Beacon 3-n-1 Advanced Glue didn't have a toxic smell. The other one is Aleene Fast Tacky glue. Aerosol spray glues are wonderful to spray on detail die cuts such as sentiments or very fine die cuts. It is worth having one bottle for those detail die cuts and I have Aleene Fast Tacky Spray glue just for those special die cuts. Tombow glue is okay but I didn't think it worked well with heavier cardstock and not much better than cheapo Elmer's glue. Also, keep Scor-Tape around for adhering paper boxes together or ribbons on cardstock. It cost more but worth it for adhering cardstock on my altered gift boxes and comes in so many sizes. I am a designer for certain companies and really picky about my glues, adhesive tapes, etc. since I don't want my projects or cards to come apart or warp because of cheap glue or tape.

Quote:

Thank you Susie and Scrapjanny, I will have to try each to see how it works for me! Sounds like they will work though!
Kmt, your description made me laugh! I remember that scene from Grease well!
Nancy, I haven't seen the Beacon glue before. I am like you; I would be leery of a toxic type smell.
Now I will have to figure out how to use a couple of the glues I got at the Dollar Tree in the past. One is an aerosol spray glue. I recently saw someone speak about it on Youtube, and they gave it a horrible review, so I'll just have to try it on different things later on to see if I can find a use for it. I'm not crazy about spray glues that are aerosol. The other one is a pump glue, and I've used it a couple of times. It's sort of hit or miss for reliability. It worked okay if I could spray it the right amount, but that was tricky.
I also have a can of the Elmer's spray glue, but I rarely use it. I think it is like the Tombo glue; I think it is repositionable if it is allowed to dry. Might have to try it on a stencil one day to see. I could always try them on a scrap piece of plastic first to see, so I wouldn't mess up a stencil.
Who knew there was so much to learn about glue?
Reply With Quote Likes