Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #41  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm definitely in your camp, Joan. I've been purging for months and still have a way to go. I haven't purchased any new papers (not even SU! in colors). I like a lot of the newer Spellbinders dies, but can live without them.

I'm in more of a mode where I'm trying to find more creative ways to use the things I have. We're in a budget crunch, like many, but it's more than that. I liken it to the years when my kids were real young and we'd buy them a slew of toys for Christmas. They had so much to play with that they were overwhelmed and went to play with the boxes instead. Yeah, it's kinda like that. I want to do more with less.

Go STEELERS! ~ (had to throw that in)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thoughts....maybe this is why I have found myself venturing and revisiting other creative venues (ie...photography, metal....possibly jewerly). While card making will always give me that "instant" (or in my case, a couple of hours!) satisfaction, I do think that things have gotten in a bit of a rut style(?) wise.

At CHA I saw LOVELY things, but in all honesty, the actual product sometimes was lost on me. I found myself looking more at the examples and pulling ideas from those, versus focusing on the product being sold.

I did notice that a lot of the paper lines seemed to be just like "x's", with many having the same "look".

And like everyone else who has been at this for a while, I find myself with "stuff" (haha...the pc version!) that is still perfectly good, just not the "new" thing. I've been trying to seriously use what I have versus what is the latest. Guess maybe working more hours makes me appreciate the worth of a dollar more....either that, or I'm just getting cheaper as I age!! BHWHAAAAAA
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716View Post
I like the Nestabling - the bling that fits Nesties. That was creative and unique.
What do you mean "Nestabling?" I hadn't heard of this. Do you have a link where I can see what you are referring to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #44  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
What do you mean "Nestabling?" I hadn't heard of this. Do you have a link where I can see what you are referring to?
Here's a peek:
want2scrap: Pinch Me Please, Peony!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

Guess I have it too...pretty bad when you go to AC Moore with "2" 50% off coupons in hand 1 for the hubby and 1 for me. We both came out with cutting blades for my trimmer. Could not let the coupons go to waste. Hee...Hee...Hee...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well...I want every single new nestie...I think there are 45 new releases..but I dont need the Grand Caliber ones...and there are a few Tim Holtz things I would like...not much else right now though.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyView Post
Thanks, Toy, for posting the link for me. Very helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Having fun playing with old stuff, too. Maybe I'll even use some of it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #49  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny...I was thinking many of these same thoughts. I also thought there was nothing really new. Some great new paper lines....but I already have too much paper. I swore I wouldn't buy more. And lots of great new stamps, but lately it seems like I use a stamp once or twice, then I've already moved on to the next one, so I am really trying to only get digi's - they are so much less expensive and don't take up any room in my already overcrowded craft room. It's kinda sad, cause I've seen some really cute stamps, but for now I'm not buying rubber.

I missed the nestabling - but the links you guys shared look really cool. Prima also had some really cool flowers, but I already have so many of those too. I really need to use up some of what I already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 AM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
:^) I never defined this quite as well for myself as you have here! I have purged papers a few times too (hopefully I won't be making the same mistakes again!), and you've put your finger on it!

I really like your thoughts on this, too ~ I certainly agree.

I am excited about Webster's Pages Spring Market line. . . oooohhh.... Ellen Hutson, here I come!

Although I haven't really checked out the CHA stuff yet, I hope to find something "wow" there just for fun!

I haven't been stamping that long - my SCS join date says it all. . . think "SAB 2007." Speaking of which, I don't think the SAB catalog was at all enticing this year. Could it be that they are relying on the list of sets from the regular catalog that can count as rewards now?

Also, brick & mortar stamping stores are all far away for me. . .when I do visit one, it's like a treasure hunt ~ so many things are more awe-worthy in person :^) . I go to real stores seldom enough that it's a thrill in and of itself!
Phantom, thank you! Like you, I see products that grab me. But I already have a use for them in mind. There are artists too that grab me, the OTHER Tim, for instance, Tim Coffey, who makes beautiful, traditional flowers seem other-worldly and spooky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #51  
Watercolor Wizard

I havent brought anything this year, I have enough already! Nothing in the SU catalog grabs me, I did order 5 of the new nestibilities, because I use them all the time. I have been stamping 3 years and learning my style, I love clean and elegant vs cute, I look for what I will use over and over. Everything I own can fit in a corner (large corner) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Default I'm with you......

...I believe we have just been saturated with all sorts of tools, inks, stamps, etc....

For me, I am going back to basic stuff. That means my dollar stamps (I just love them. Easy to color and cheap-o) and simple designs like putting buttons in the middle of flowers.

I think I was just getting lost in all this stuff. I knew I had gone over the top when I got a Cricut (the small one). Just too much!

HTH!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #53  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I was excited at last years CHA when companies released all of the different kinds of rose trim... That was fun... I am trying to think, though when I was like WOW! OH MY GOD! I HAVE TO HAVE THAT OR I'LL DIE! and I haven't felt that way in a long time... Kinda like my marriage. hahahaha, just kidding.

But seriously, I love the product I get to work with as a DT member (it's always fun to see new product before everyone else) but when I'm stalking CHA posts and threads I'm looking for the "big O" if you know what I mean. ;)
This whole post just made me giggle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been at the paperart thing for a few years now, not as long as some, but get that feeling also. I have a roomful of things to work with but can't seem to get myself in there much and when I do it is a MESS when I leave. Which doesn't make me want to go back in there!! I love my quilling and paper florals and seem to gravitate to those. But even then I don't have the excitement as much. Slumps happen and fresh ideas or just time off helps.

I agree though, how many new "things" can be made to do papercrafting? We have dies/cutters, coloring media, paper, embelishments, stamps/digis. After a while these items and all their offspring have been done and there isn't really anything new that can be made from/with/to them. Like dies/cutters, just how many shapes can be made before there isn't any left to be made? Now that we have a large selection of stuff we need to get down to the creative, and also teach the next generation and see what they come up with (not that we are through yet!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

Lots of interesting points raised here. From a slightly different angle, I know when I first started stamping the market was very small and you tended to grab what you could get. But now it is just so huge you can buy it anywhere. It would tend to follow that there is a lot of the same stuff out there.
I do find it quite overwhelming, especially when I look what I already have and don't use.
And Joan, how does it feel to be the Queen of Organisation?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #56  
Glitter Queen

I saw that Hero Arts is bringing back some of their "classic" stamps at the request of the Copic people. Yay! I may be ahead of the game then!
I am overwhelmed when I look at all the new products from this year's CHA-and I haven't even seen half of the products from last year's CHA. I feel like I've failed my hobby or something because I don't know all of the new stamp lines. So, like everyone else, I am trying to downsize my collection, enjoy what I have, and stop shopping on line for hours! That being said, I must say that I love the dies from MFT and Paper Trey and hope to own some-someday!

Question-what makes the Grand Nestabilities so desirable? Just curious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have seen, the trend is vintage, retro and grunge--All not my 'thing'. I'm like the OP who will try to use what I have and create from the inside out and 'make do'. I agree some paper is 'bossy' and has one purpose and wants to stick with it and can't be made to 'go' with something else.

I like to make cards and donate to causes so will try to use what I have and save $$ until the cycle comes around to my style. I think when you are starting something new, you have the initial NEED to have the tools - paper, embellies, ink, stamps, other color mediums, paper cutter, scissors but soon you have a 'start up' stash and can actually begin making things in this new craft. Do this when I change crafts - quilting, cross stitching, etc.

Love to 'look' though so check blogs and online store. I am in awe of some of you creative and talented artists. You inspire me to improve. I do think I have in the 3 years since I started. (Have some samples of my efforts when I started---)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Lots of great thoughts out here - I agree with most. This is a hard market but I think that the companies are not showing anything new for us that have been around crafts for many years.
I know that every aisle in Mike's/JoAnn's/ACMoore is all the same ol boring things and while I tend to believe I am creative enough, it is hard to take the same thing and turn it several different ways and ten years later still be doing the same things.

As far as some of the new items - I think they are getting way too specific and not tending to the general craft market and what we want/need. I also think that the items have gotten very expensive and therefore have driven some away. I am not for cheap quality on everything, but these stamps sets that have very few in them and cost $20-$25 a pop can add up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #59  
Inking Addict

This happened to my with summer CHA...just could not get into any paper lines or stamps or ANYTHING, except the Girls Paperie line. However this CHA I have fallen back in love with Cosmo, Pink Paislee, Basic Gray and Tim Holtz. Maybe your mind just needs a break from new stuff and then next CHA you will be wow'd again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

I haven't seen all the Cha stuff but the items I saw didn't really give me that, I can't wait to get it, feeling.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR8tive K8View Post
Lots of great thoughts out here - I also think that the items have gotten very expensive and therefore have driven some away. I am not for cheap quality on everything, but these stamps sets that have very few in them and cost $20-$25 a pop can add up!
Oh I agree!! Profit is not a dirty word and businesses need to make a profit, but when I look at a lot of these things the retail prices are over the top. Many products cost pennies to make and they charge outrages prices. It isn't just the stamps that are so expensive, but everything is very expensive even with a coupon. I think it has reached a point where it IS chasing people away. When you can buy $100 in supplies and fit all of it in your purse then the prices are out of hand .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like a lot of what I see that is new is patterned paper and I rarely buy that.

Maybe that is why nothing is wowing me.

However, lest there be NO misunderstanding, I have a list with about $2000 worth of STAMPS that I would love to have!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
I am right there with you, I have so much paper in all sizes that there is not much out there that can wow me enought to buy until I use what I have and if I don't stay off this computer long enough to get anything done.........well that could be a good long while!!!

I MAY at some point look at the grand nesties but the size I use most are smaller. I DO NOT Want anything that has to find a place to live in my house after I finish it and most of may family is the same. Like my mother says "If I can't eat it, mail it, wear it, or read it I don't want it.
My mom added "or go in the dishwasher or wash machine, she didn't want it." LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #64  
Inking Addict

For me this is it - A week after a new release the "sneek peeks" for the next month's releases start. I haven't even received the items I ordered from the current release yet (especially if an item is backordered)! I'm getting tired of having new must-haves pushed at me every month from every company - and it's having the reverse effect on me now. Rather than getting me excited about the new items I'm tiring of the hype and finding myself clicking past the sneek peeks. There must be some balance point between too much and too little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

I'm feeling the same. After 14 years of stamping I don't see much. There are a few sets that would fill a gap but I'm holding off. I like the new nesties too and might get a few of them but am on a paper diet so no more of that. AS far as SU, I haven't seen a stamp set in their catalog I had to have in years. It used to be I liked almost all of them but they must have new artists and I don't like what they have at all. Still like the CS and some inks and will buy some of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by margotgnView Post
For me this is it - A week after a new release the "sneek peeks" for the next month's releases start. I haven't even received the items I ordered from the current release yet (especially if an item is backordered)! I'm getting tired of having new must-haves pushed at me every month from every company - and it's having the reverse effect on me now. Rather than getting me excited about the new items I'm tiring of the hype and finding myself clicking past the sneek peeks. There must be some balance point between too much and too little.
that gets to me too! I find myself waiting and waiting to see what might be coming out before I purchase from the sneak peeks and then it feels like I am let down when the next latest and greatest comes out a week after I order or purchase.

I have tried to really *think* more about what I am buying and *why* before I take the plunge. To me the product almost always has to have more than one use/purpose. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #67  
Kookie Creator

I'm glad I found this thread! I thought it was just me. I haven't been stamping long but nothing has "talked" to me for a couple of months now.

I'm more interested in techniques rather than accumulation. I have enough paper, stamps, etc. to last me all year. Granted, the paper is from one to two years old but who cares?

I want to concentrate on using all my toys and tools and trying new card techniques, etc.

I'm not really into grunge, vintage, etc. so none of those things interest me. I figure I'll just keep using up my consumables and wait to see if anything comes out that excites me.

I haven't been to Michael's in several weeks because their paper is boring and I have all the "things" I need.

What I would like to see is someone to come up with an idea for pretty paper or elegant DSP and leave the bold, big prints behind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #68  
Kookie Creator

Sorry to be so lame, but what is CHA. I looked through the acronyms and couldn't find it. I have figured out what most of the other things are.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

Heart Tea at Three

There is a feeling of sadness for me at times when new things are released. I think it is because I have demonstrated and sold SU products and then have to act as if they are no longer valuable because they are no longer available for sale. It makes me weary to look in my craft closet and see so many stamps that are sitting there uninked. I have many customers who have bought stamps at workshops and have not even taken them out of the package. I refuse to sell my old stamps, because if they were worth buying they are worth keeping and using.

I agee with everyone about using what you have. The excess has taken a tole on the reason I started doing this in the first place. Less is more. It makes me be creative when I have to use what I have. It's kind of like a "Project Runway" scenario, here's a tire and liscense plate. Get out there and make an evening dress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #70  
Inking Addict

I think it is craft products overload: too much stuff from too many companies coming out too often. Think about how many of them have releases EVERY SINGLE MONTH! Multiply the number of companies by the number of their products and it's just way too much. Don't misunderstand - I love the products and the new fun tools. But consider die cut machines: every year (or twice a year) each company that makes them comes out with a new machine, immediately making you feel like yours isn't good enough anymore. For me, there is so MUCH that it's overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

I could not go to CHA but I enjoy seeing all the sneak peeks, especially Tim Holtz. Alot of things don't jump at me until I see what I can do with them then my creative juices start going. I too think I have reached the point where I have everything I need and really just need "time" to use all that i have before said paper or stamp is "out of style." I have even pulled out my sewing machine and started sewing again (another favorite hobby)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #72  
Kookie Creator

My husband thinks SU should do an encore mini catalog, because there were a lot of great sets 5-6 years ago when I first started. I couldn't get it all at once and then I missed out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #73  
Kookie Creator

I thought it was just my husband finally getting through to me not to spend too much on my "hobby" (his definition of a money pit!) I guess I'm just not excited about the new stuff and have been trying to use up the goodies I already have.

I do have a question for you people mentioning Glubers...what is that? I googled it and came up with nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #74  
Stampin' Fool

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

CHA - Craft and Hobby Association

Glubers - see post #26 and click on bold Glubers

I love Tim Holtz's stuff!

Karen ... Murphy's Law
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #75  
Crimping Master

I have to wonder if we're suffering from information overload.

A few years ago CHA was just a rumbling with a few sneak peeks for most of us. Now we get peeks at new products directly from the vendors before the show even begins, live blog posts from industry insiders during the show, and recaps of favorite products for weeks following it. So difficult to feel excited or inspired when being bombarded with hundreds and hundreds of new products. At the height of the show, I dreaded checking Google Reader and the dozens of posts with blurry convention photos of the same products.

Now that the dust is settling, I'm starting to feel excited about the new stuff. More than a few motifs and products stood out for me this year, along with the companies that did them well. Products that will be even more inspiring when they trickle into stores and galleries in the coming months and can get the attention they deserve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I am disappointed that companies are not building on what they already have. Nestabling is a great example of building on what you have. SU comes out with stamps and then doesn't build on them to keep them fresh....like the ittle truck and boat stamps. I like the idea of building on what already exists. Oh well.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #77  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by criminalgraceView Post
I have to wonder if we're suffering from information overload.

A few years ago CHA was just a rumbling with a few sneak peeks for most of us. Now we get peeks at new products directly from the vendors before the show even begins, live blog posts from industry insiders during the show, and recaps of favorite products for weeks following it.
Good point. I have to wonder about the viabiliy of trade shows in the future since you can see everything in advance via the internet. How much business do these vendors get during a trade show when store owners can just look up the stuff online? Some of those vendor booths are very elaborate, then add the cost of staff, travel, etc a trip to CHA for a vendor to show a product is high.
As an end user, I wish there were more local conventions with classes where I can go for the techniques and meet other crafters.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #78  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I am with you Nancy. I have been fortunate to go to CHA a couple of times and while it is fun to see all of the new products in one place it is just as easy to order when you are not at the show and have time to go through the catalogs.
I keep finding myself wishing I could buy some right now and take it home to play with, but no it takes days if not weeks to get the fun stuff! After weeks of seeing the new products on blogs it is hard to wait. Doing make and takes at CHA takes up way too much time and there is so much to see in just a few days so the "play" time is very limited.
There were many things there that I liked but nothing that WOW'd me other than taking the intermediate Copic class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default ...Agreed, thinking about giving it up (for a while)

I've never attended CHA, but I've been feeling this way since 2009 when I lost my B&M job. I kept up with the monthly S10 club because I enjoyed the "me time" creatively and making cards. Lately I've been feeling as if I don't even want to go to my monthly group and I'm not inspired anymore, don't have that "I have to have this NOW" feeling when the new catalog and mini's and SAB rolls around. The only reason I stuck with the club now is because SU! renovated the color collections and I figured might as well stick with it for another catalog and have all the colors before taking a break from it all.

Usually by now I've created 20-30 holiday cards for the next Christmas season and I haven't been inspired to make a single one. I feel bad about that, but I'm not sure what to do to get me out of my slump, because I love making my holiday cards and that's what got me into stamping in the first place, about five years ago. I've started a WAH business that has generated income for me and my family and my husband has giving his blessing for me to use some of it for stamping and such, but I'm just not inspired right now. Normally I look forward to getting together with the girls each month, but now I'd just as soon stay in with a hot cup of coffee (insert Keurig cuppa here)

I think I'll take a break once this catalog ends in June and skip a year and see if I miss it like a crack addict misses their addiction. I have a small investment in SU! product and don't want to sell any of it off, as I know I'll create with it again at some point, but right now no one company is impressing or wowing me to want to spend my money right now.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but reading some of the responses prompted me to give my thoughts, as I'm not feeling wowed by any company's stamping products.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I am liking a few paper packs like 5 and dime from OA and hopscotch from Basic Grey. I also like some of the new Nesties but really? I think to myself "what can I do with this new one that I can't do with the old ones?" and unless I can come up with a reason to get it, I leave it alone. however, I will buy Nesties if I want a stamp set that goes with it. Rather than the other way around.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes