Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Getting Harder to Wow Me

There was nothing I saw from the CHA posts that got me excited and most new releases of stamps are leaving me blah...

Is is me? Is this what happens when you've been buying stuff for years?

Is the industry in a creativity slump?

The last thing I saw that I thought was really creative was when Waltzingmouse Stamps came out with stamps specifically designed for spellbinders dies. Now that concept is everywhere and I still love it.

But nothing else is jumping out at me!! How about you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think it is a creativity slump. I happen to work for a marketing dept in a Pharma company. What I see all around is fear of making a mistake that will cost $. I think everyone is playing it safe right now. Money is tight and no one wants to take a chance on a any product that might flop. With cash flow issues, there is no room for error in their marketing plans. JMHO. When the economy picks up, so will the reasonable risks for new products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're like me, products wowed you because they inspired you. For me, the more experienced I become, the less I look to products for inspiration, except in the broadest sense to color elements , ink, pigments, paint. Last fall when I purged a lot of supplies, one of my criteria was getting rid of products, especially patterned paper that tended to define what I would do with them (I still kept patterned papers, but not bossy ones). If you're like me you're looking more for creative ideas and less for creative means --creativity from the inside out, instead of from the outside in.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Nestabling - the bling that fits Nesties. That was creative and unique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

To be honest, nothing seems to wow me either. There's so many of the same thing - more stickles colors?! Who needs +50 bottles of glitter glue at about $2.50 when it's just as easy to use a glue pen and fine glitter? ldumont's theory makes much sense to me, but I'm not sure the companies will earn cash either if they're just pushing the same things at crafters. Trends get stale...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

interesting thoughts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I have no idea what is causing it, but I'm feeling it too. Last year I spent almost $300 on PTI's birthday/Feb release. This year, I'm not sure I'm even going to order because I don't see $60 worth of stuff I want (and I won't pay for shipping).

I struggled to find enough from SU that I wanted to meet my mins this quarter and it's SAB.

The only thing I want from the CHA releases is some of the new Grand Nesties to go with my new Grand Calibur.

I do need a hot knife to aid in my unmounting saga. I've stopped going to Michaels/ACMoore/JoAnns. Heck, I've even starting scrapbooking again! :o

I think I've reached the "enough" point. I wasn't sure it even existed, but I honestly think I've found it.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been feeling this way as well. But there is one thing I'm excited about from CHA - hampton arts has come out with cling sets that coordinate with graphic 45 papers. These are my first "must haves" in awhile.

I think that we do get to a point where we have so much, it has to be something really quite different to get me excited. I do love all the dies made to work with stamp sets though - I hate cutting out images, so that's mostly where my money has gone in the last few months.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Joan, I have a theory.

Since you are now the Queen of Organization, with your lovely new stamping space, you know exactly what you already own, and exactly where to find it.

You are no longer like some of us disorganized souls who see something new, and get all excited to buy something that we already have but totally forgot we already got.:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I am in the opposite camp, I found quite a bit, mind you, mostly Tim Holtz, that I love. I have learned to be a bit more selective though. I think stamp wise I tend to buy less stamps now, but I already have a lot of them, so now I am filling in the gaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I haven't checked every company that I like yet but so far my list is VERY small. Partially because so much stuff did not excite me or I know it is not my style and partially because my budget is so limited; I have learned to talk myself out of almost everything. I know my style, I know what I have and I know what I will use or not use at this point. I will be stopping by some LSS in the next few weeks to see their CHA finds but probably going home with very little.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I'm having a hard time getting excited about anything lately. Any more, everything is nice, cute, or whatever. But nothing is jumping up and down screaming buy me. And the stuff that even comes close is more of the same. The only thing that is really temping me is the BSPro and the Grand Nesties. But honestly, I'm not sure I can talk myself in to that and I don't even have money issue holding me back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmeshelleView Post
I'm having a hard time getting excited about anything lately. Any more, everything is nice, cute, or whatever. But nothing is jumping up and down screaming buy me. And the stuff that even comes close is more of the same. The only thing that is really temping me is the BSPro and the Grand Nesties. But honestly, I'm not sure I can talk myself in to that and I don't even have money issue holding me back.
I just noticed that you are in Eagle River, AK. My son lives there! LOL~ Small world, huh?

Oh, and I have a BSPro. I got it about this time last year and I've never used it. :o How terrible is that?!?!?

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Hey Joan, I have a theory.

Since you are now the Queen of Organization, with your lovely new stamping space, you know exactly what you already own, and exactly where to find it.

You are no longer like some of us disorganized souls who see something new, and get all excited to buy something that we already have but totally forgot we already got.:mrgreen:
there may be something to that. I really do know where everything is. Scary!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I think I've reached the "enough" point. I wasn't sure it even existed, but I honestly think I've found it.
I am right there with you, I have so much paper in all sizes that there is not much out there that can wow me enought to buy until I use what I have and if I don't stay off this computer long enough to get anything done.........well that could be a good long while!!!

I MAY at some point look at the grand nesties but the size I use most are smaller. I DO NOT Want anything that has to find a place to live in my house after I finish it and most of may family is the same. Like my mother says "If I can't eat it, mail it, wear it, or read it I don't want it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm getting more selective in what I buy. I think it's because we've been "in the business" for quite a while. I'd like to hear the comments from ladies who have been stamping just a few years. For a while, it was getting my "stash" established ;>) Now, I'm trying to sell a bunch of sets which, apparently, everyone else has as there haven't been any takers.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am excited about the news that Hero Arts is teaming with Basic Grey to make stamps for their papers. I also like the new BG collections and some (3-4) of the New Nesties but I have so many Nesties now I am not sure if I will be buying them.

What I am most excited about is the new Tim Holtz/Stamper's Anonymous set #111... Reflections. Lots of cool things to do with the set and I can't wait to get it. I also want a few of his new dies.

I have so much stuff now that I am really trying to not duplicate what I do have with things that are similar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I was excited at last years CHA when companies released all of the different kinds of rose trim... That was fun... I am trying to think, though when I was like WOW! OH MY GOD! I HAVE TO HAVE THAT OR I'LL DIE! and I haven't felt that way in a long time... Kinda like my marriage. hahahaha, just kidding.

But seriously, I love the product I get to work with as a DT member (it's always fun to see new product before everyone else) but when I'm stalking CHA posts and threads I'm looking for the "big O" if you know what I mean. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Fun thread! I share your feelings. For me this year is going 'cold turkey' on craft spending and so far, it's been pretty easy to follow through. Not many people posted clips or messages about CHA so the 'hype' (so to speak) wasn't there at all like it used to be in the previous years... Could it be that after doing stamping/scrapping for years we get 'fed up'?

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

With the exception of a few things from Tim Holtz, most everything else I saw was just a big yawn. Stamps, paper, embellishments - nothing called out to me.
I used to LOVE every Basic Grey line that came out, but in the last year nothing awed me. I loved their style from several years ago (thinking of Stella Ruby, Scarlet's Letter and Periphery lines) and now their paper lines don't seem to have the depth and beauty as before. I haven't bought a nestability in ages, and although the larger ones are intriquing I wish they would cut thick chipboard.
But, this is good in a way because it means I won't spend $$$$!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I think that the displays from CHA are still lovely. I like to see what props each company uses, and how the paper lines are transformed into amazing 3D items like wreaths or dresses or houses. Do I need it? Nope. But pretty papers still excite me, and they're a much cheaper purchase than some $200 tool that will collect dust at my work station.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

The same goes for me. Nothing excites me. I am currently into oriental theme but there aren't many of such stuff from US. There are only 2 local companies selling what I want but one of them doesn't have new design that appeals to me for quite a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

delete
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Is there anything here on SCS like in years' past about CHA? I used to check those posts out to save time instead of having to hop around from blog to blog looking for information. I did a quick look around this site and didn't see anything like years' past. Unfortunate if there isn't. I always looked forward to those.

In general, I'm buying less and less from certain companies and more and more from others. I pretty much love anything that Tim Holtz comes out with because it's so my style. Haven't had the time to go looking at all the new releases yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean about missing that "wow" factor. It's nothing against any particular company, but you have to think that it must be hard to come up with fresh new ideas when certain trends are "in". You'll see numerous companies put out lines which, for example, are all based around a bird theme, or owl theme, houses, etc. Once you see the same thing over and over I think it may lose it's excitement after a while.
A lot of the themes have been, what I would call, a cutesy style. That's ok because I love that style! But now it seems they in thing is shifting to a more eclectic mix of vintage items. I think it's pretty, but not my style.
As far as stamps go, I found I was focusing too much on a limited number of companies. I was getting really bored with what they were putting out. I have recently found PTI and think Nichole does a great job of listening to what her customers want, keeping communication with them, and creating new and innovative products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716View Post
I like the Nestabling - the bling that fits Nesties. That was creative and unique.
I was just going to say this! The Nestablings from Want2Scrap are genius. AND the Glubers from Cosmo Cricket!

I also loved a lot of the new pattern papers coming out. But you are right, I did see alot of the same ole, same ole.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 02:50 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, Joan. I was just thinking last night that this will probably be the first time in my 10+ years of stamping that I won't be buying enough SU products to qualify for a SAB set. There's just nothing out there calling my name.
I really need to focus on using what I have.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I've been maintaining for awhile now that the stamping companies are starting to do what record labels have been doing for the past decade (at least): they see something that clicks with the public and reproduce/imitate it to death! Record labels sign five more bands with the same sound that was "new", instead of looking for the next new thing. Stamping companies (in my opinion) are "playing it safe", as was mentioned earlier in this thread, and cranking out more of the same, instead of being innovative and creative...

I personally have found myself going "back to basics" in my stamping/creating in general. I'm a "less is more" kind of girl, anyway, so I don't want huge roses on my cards (maybe on a pillow or purse or something, though), or seven layers or tons of bling. I'm finding great satisfaction in coming up with new ways to use old stuff, including stamps and papers. Also, I don't feel the need to invest in dies for a particular stamp image, either (Nesties excluded here) - I can cut around a bird or tree or cloud with my scissors, thank you!

I went to a stamping/scrapping expo last fall, and the only things I bought were Pergamano supplies, as this is a technique I find beautiful and I want to learn how to do it properly...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Forgot to mention that I've scaled my Google Reader subscriptions down from about 156 blogs to only 38 - everything was starting to look like everything else there, too...

In order to keep my blog from looking so "mainstream", I've been diversifying a bit from just cards and such, and also trying out new things (with old stuff, like I said...) Hopefully it's working...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

All the comments about companies "playing it safe" make sense in this economy. I think a lot of crafters are playing it safe, too, only buying necessities and getting back to basics.

Also, I think as with anything, there will be highs and lows in any industry, a natural wave of enthusiasm and creativity, followed by a slump, and then more enthusiasm and creativity.

This slump shall pass....;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

I have not been stamping very long and so far all I want of the new things are "a few" of the new Spellbinder dies. I also have a couple of Flourish stamps and a couple of the JustRite stamps that fit the Spellbinder labels on my wish list

Last year after CHA my list was very long. In fact I never got a lot of it and that's fine with me

Christine from Scrap Time went to CHA again this year and recorded videos. I have watched all of the ones she posted so far and have not seen one " must have" for me product .

Even to me it all looks like a relaunch of the same stuff.:(
I don't want rub-ons, stickers and tinsel . I have more than enough embossing folders.

When I look in the Gallery it appears people have turned the corner to a style of "simple elegance" or delicate ( not much distressed) vintage and left the manufacturers behind. LOL

People are using solid colored CS or subtle patterned paper rather than bold in your face patterned paper .
I see elegant stamps such as flowers , flourishes or sentiments and/ or hand made flowers rather than cartoon or cutesy style stamps

My SAB order barely qualified for one free stamp and I had a hard time finding one I really liked. Previously I had purchased 3 of the stamps they were offering free with $50. SU also has a lot of cutesy or stick drawing stamps and "foo foo" .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I was not Wowed either! Ok, maybe the Cashmere yarn from Lion Brand. ! I have to hold it first before I really know if it's impressive. ;)

I have found my style so nothing really tempts me any more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescpellsView Post
I agree, Joan. I was just thinking last night that this will probably be the first time in my 10+ years of stamping that I won't be buying enough SU products to qualify for a SAB set. There's just nothing out there calling my name.
I really need to focus on using what I have.

Julie
This is where I'm at as well. Still considering going pending. I have one more order coming in some time this month from a friend and then a few things I want for myself from the Occasions Mini. Other than that I think I just want to use what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm in the same boat, it does seem to take a lot more to tempt me nowdays. I bought a lot of Gina K. stamps the last couple years, and I'm just having fun using them so I'm not really wanting more stamps at this time. The SU color renovation and the latest Spellbinders release did get my attention, but I just think "I can get that stuff anytime, I don't need it now". So right now I'm using what I have, in fact, I've even started putting eyelets on my cards again in order to use some of them up!

I am going to place a big enough order to qualify for one Sale-a-bration set, but that order will be for favorite cardstock colors I'm low on, some brads and ribbon, and a couple punches that I need for an Easter project I have planned. In other words, I'm buying things that I "need" more than "want".
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

The bling was a stand out for me and I don't use bling that much. However, I thought that was WAY cool!! The glubers are so cute, good idea and saw a way to substitute for the glubers and looking forward to someone posting about it soon if they haven't already

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post
I was just going to say this! The Nestablings from Want2Scrap are genius. AND the Glubers from Cosmo Cricket!

I also loved a lot of the new pattern papers coming out. But you are right, I did see alot of the same ole, same ole.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
If you're like me, products wowed you because they inspired you. For me, the more experienced I become, the less I look to products for inspiration, except in the broadest sense to color elements , ink, pigments, paint. Last fall when I purged a lot of supplies, one of my criteria was getting rid of products, especially patterned paper that tended to define what I would do with them (I still kept patterned papers, but not bossy ones). If you're like me you're looking more for creative ideas and less for creative means --creativity from the inside out, instead of from the outside in.
:^) I never defined this quite as well for myself as you have here! I have purged papers a few times too (hopefully I won't be making the same mistakes again!), and you've put your finger on it!

I really like your thoughts on this, too ~ I certainly agree.

I am excited about Webster's Pages Spring Market line. . . oooohhh.... Ellen Hutson, here I come!

Although I haven't really checked out the CHA stuff yet, I hope to find something "wow" there just for fun!

I haven't been stamping that long - my SCS join date says it all. . . think "SAB 2007." Speaking of which, I don't think the SAB catalog was at all enticing this year. Could it be that they are relying on the list of sets from the regular catalog that can count as rewards now?

Also, brick & mortar stamping stores are all far away for me. . .when I do visit one, it's like a treasure hunt ~ so many things are more awe-worthy in person :^) . I go to real stores seldom enough that it's a thrill in and of itself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

While from time to time a product will WOW me....but, for the most part, seeing a LO design completed with a sketch is what WOWs me.

So many of you who are experienced...well, let's just say, the creation come naturally. For the average stamper/scrapbooker....it takes a lot of time to create, then it is expensive to "fail" in money and time.

What I would like to see are more, more, more, more layouts and cards made with the products on the company websites. I want them to KEEP the old product up in their galleries, too.

It's not the product, but how the product is used....and while the dresses out of paper were beautiful, that is just not practical for this customer. It didn't do a thing for me in wanting to buy any of their products. I want to see 25 or 30 LOs using the product. Then I can buy it, scrap it, stamp it, card make it and be done.

I just don't understand why stamps are not used in LOs more often....showing us how to make elements to go on our pages and cards with the stamps. I just can't get enough of those.

JMHO...;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
In other words, I'm buying things that I "need" more than "want".
I think this pretty much sums it up. I think with the way the economy is, and if you have built up quite a stash, you start to be more selective. I see many things that I like but the reality is I will probably only end up getting 1/4 of them, because unless it something totally new to me, I won't feel the need to get it.
I do think that there is alot of copycat, for lack of a different word. You see it in everything from stamps to paper, dies and accessories. That is why the Tim Holtz stuff is catching my eye. It is different than what I have already.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm glad to see I'm not "alone". I am doing the non-spending cold turkey and so far so good with that. I haven't been to HL, ACMoore or M's since long before the holidays. I did go to my LSS the other day. I found one teeny tiny new fence/cloud combo stamp by Memory Box and 2 new Stickles colors and that was it. I have so much in my stamping supplies I just don't "need" anything right now. At least I'm saving $$ right?

I'm hoping it passes soon ... I don't like being in this slump!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

I was surprised that I wasn't even excited about SAB this year. I saw one set I would like to have but didn't need $50 worth of anything to get it. Last year I got everything in the SAB catty. I have been happy using up stuff I already have. I have ordered some stamps lately but no huge orders that I normally do. Looking forward to my first WatzingMouse order to arrive though!
Reply With Quote Likes