Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palette icon Generic "Hi I'm new" title

Hi, SCS!

I'm not sure why I never joined this forum... I've been using it for years to find opinions on products, get inspiration, you name it. Well, now I'm here officially and you're stuck with me! (Sorry!)

My lovely family asked me what I wanted this year for Christmas and I felt I was ready for a cutting machine. After so many hours comparing (it was tough!!) I finally settled on a Cricut Air. Obviously I can't play with it until Christmas, but I'm excited! I figure I'll learn some tips before the "big day".

A bit about me:

I'm an artist, an illustrator, Graphic Designer, stamp carver, crazy bird lady... (That's my little stinker, Sherbet, in my avatar)

Sometime back in 2014 I stumbled in to the world of Letterboxing, which is like Geocaching if you've heard of it. Letterboxing is hundreds of years older though. The gist of Letterboxing: People hide hand carved stamps in "tupperware" out in the woods for you to find and log. It's like a treasure hunt. Anywho, Letterboxing got me in to making Letterboxing Trading Cards. If you've done ATCs, it's the same thing; only we require a hand carved stamp be used. You make a set of the same cards based on a theme, send it to the host, and then get a lovely mix back. Fun stuff!

Somehow the Letterboxing hobby got me looped in to Pathtags. Pathtags are little tradable, collectible enamel-filled coins made in a factory. In addition to trading, folks drop them in Geocaches and Letterboxes for finders to keep. I'm one of the many people who design those tags for a small fee. ;) It's become a side hustle for me and makes decent pocket money for my obsessions.

So now I'm here with my soon to be Cricut machine. I'm hoping to make things to support my side job, make awesome holiday/birthday cards, and play with new materials. Sorry for the long-winded introduction! I was going to post some of the LTCs I've made, but apparently I need more posts to do that. Ah well. All in due time!

~Sadie "Peachfaced"

Last edited by Peachfaced; 12-02-2016 at 11:25 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Welcome!! I'm actually quite new here too so possibly not the best person to welcome?! Oh well, you helped me in my other post so I just wanted to say hi!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 02:32 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Welcome! Your letterboxing description was really interesting to read! You sound like you are quite talented! Again, welcome to SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome to you both! Sadie, glad you came out of lurk mode, lol!

SCS is a great place to meet folks, learn stuff, and generally while away the hours (and hours) gaining inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Welcome! You don't need to have made x amounts of posts to start uploading to your gallery, only to add attachments to posts. Read this post ~ How To Share Your Art In The Gallery by UnderstandBlue at Splitcoaststampers ~ and then click on "Upload a card" in the Around the Site box over on the left of the forum page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Welcome - you, too, poniesta! I LOVE this place and I'm always happy when new names pop up in the conversations, so thank you! I'd love to see some of everything that you've described, as most of it is unfamiliar to me. I hope you'll take Sabrina's suggestion and start a gallery!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome welcome welcome! Its great here♡♡♡♡♡♡♡!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeachfacedView Post
Hi, SCS!

Sometime back in 2014 I stumbled in to the world of Letterboxing, which is like Geocaching if you've heard of it. Letterboxing is hundreds of years older though. The gist of Letterboxing: People hide hand carved stamps in "tupperware" out in the woods for you to find and log. It's like a treasure hunt. Anywho, Letterboxing got me in to making Letterboxing Trading Cards. If you've done ATCs, it's the same thing; only we require a hand carved stamp be used. You make a set of the same cards based on a theme, send it to the host, and then get a lovely mix back. Fun stuff!

Sadie "Peachfaced"

I am a letterboxer also, although I don't do it as much as I used to. What is your trail name?

Nevermind. I just looked you up on AQ.

Last edited by kilroy; 12-03-2016 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Whoa, that's a lot of welcomes! Thank you!

I'm not sure which category in the gallery LTCs would go under, unless I can put it under ATC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeachfacedView Post
Whoa, that's a lot of welcomes! Thank you!

I'm not sure which category in the gallery LTCs would go under, unless I can put it under ATC.
If you're not sure of the correct category, the default upload option is your member gallery, and keywords will bring uploads up in searches. But if they are the same size as an ATC, I am sure they would be perfectly fine in that category ;-). Or even better, we have a sadly under-populated gallery for hand-carved stamps: Stampin Up! Gallery: Stamp Carving - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #11  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hi Sadie! Welcome! I love Letterboxing and Geocaching too! And ATCs! Pathtags are really fun - I really love all puzzles and games.

I've always thought that crafters could do well making geoswag.

Anyway - happy you are here - let me know if I can help you with anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2016, 10:33 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

My son is really into geocaching. Interesting to read your post about letter boxing - never heard about it before.

Also my 2 cents. I recommend the silhouette over the cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2016, 04:01 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Welcome! I've done geocaching and have heard of letterboxing, but curious as to how you know where they are hidden? In geocaching we have coordinates and the GPS and website to track. Not sure how it works for the older letterboxing tradition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Welcome! I've done geocaching and have heard of letterboxing, but curious as to how you know where they are hidden? In geocaching we have coordinates and the GPS and website to track. Not sure how it works for the older letterboxing tradition.
There are a few sites, but my personal favorite is atlasquest.com

You search for them by plugging in your zip code and a list of available boxes shows up. From there, each box has a set of clues to guide you to them. Be careful, some of the clues may require solving before you go out there. Each box is marked in terms of difficulty, length of walk, if the area is dog friendly, etc.

Keep in mind, though, you won't trade for these stamps. You may find hitchhikers that need transporting to other letterboxes.

Basic tools you'll need; log book, ink pad or markers, wipes for cleaning off the stamp, a signature stamp of your own (can be store bought or you can carve your own), a compass, and a printed copy of the box clues. Anything else you bring is up to you.
Reply With Quote Likes