Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

check out Handmade Nation, a new documentary.

http://handmadenationmovie.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #82  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
For those of you who DO purchase digital stamps to print out, could you list the links you use? When I search, I only find a few... I have found the greeting farm (wish they had more) and squigglefly.com, thanks to the links here...
Any more? Please?
I do use my computer for sentiments often, especially for the insides of my cards. It lets me use different fonts in the same sentiment, which I love, and print the words in colors to match the CS. I do buy sentiment stamps, but sometimes you need a specific phrase or joke that isn't out there, kwim? I have no problem with computer-assisted items on my cards. Just gives me more to choose from...
:-)
I am a lover of stamps, rubber or poly, the versatility of any one stamp or one set is why I spend the money to add them to my collection. Will digis ever replace rubber, doubt it seriously.

That said, digis have a place. I never really thought I would buy any, of course I never really came across any I had to have until I found The Greeting Farm. I love the rubber and digis they offer so I bought my first. Yes it is limiting but its not without its merits. The cost savings is huge and unfortunately that matters for me.

Our industry has some folks with some pretty strong opinions about our stamps, our tools, who we buy from, etc. but the beauty is its always moving its always changing and there is room for all.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #83  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=JulieHRR;13158247]Hi, Mary Rose! According to Google Trend Reports, scrapbooking itself has been in a steady decline for the last few years and is continuing downward; based on that, I'd say the peak has come and gone. I haven't seen any reports (yet) that specifically relate solely to art-stamping or general paper-crafting separately . . .

Hi Julie! I think of you whenever I attempt to scrapbook, and every fiber of me being tells me not to do it. I remember you saying "Me no likey!" Apparently, lots of folks feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #84  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=AGMommyof2;13144874]I'm very limited in space in my current life & being able to print out (perfect) images without having to drag out all my stuff is a MAJOR advantage for me with digi-stamping.

I agree with you here- it's nice to get a perfect image every time and I'm short on space too. I 'd love to buy some digi-images to use instead of having all these stamps taking up space and I love to color in images, plus I think it would be fun to flip or resize an image. :-D I'll never let go of all the rubber stamps I have but it would be nice to have the digi option to use when you want to (for a swap where you need to make several copies of the same card, just print them out quick!).

I'm almost positive I saw somewhere recently an archival inkjet available (maybe at the HP website?) in both black and sepia, so if bleeding is an issue when coloring maybe you can use one of these. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #85  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

This has been an interesting thread!!

First, I must admit, I knew nothing of "digital stamping"...so it took me a while to know what was meant. Initially I thought, "we're stampers, why would we print out images??"

Then I saw the comment about image swaps...so I "get it"

I also had problems with designer paper...but I have since gotten over that! ;-)

But like many others, I just LOVE the tangible nature of this craft. I love looking through my boxes of stamps...though it isn't as many as some people have!

In terms of getting a "perfect"image every time...I certainly like when I get a crisp image. When I use detailed images, like those from Our Daily Bread Designs, I may take extra long to get that good image. But it literally is physical/occupational therapy for me...my hands are not very strong. Add to that the emotional benefits and this is SERIOUS therapy for me!! LOL!!

Final note...the all-too-common imperfectly stamped image or crooked sentiment is frankly a bit of my "trademark". I rarely sell my cards, and when I do it is only a couple at a time by request. Most of my cards go to family, friends, and ministry partners. They know me and my hands...so the "imperfect" is quite "perfectly" me!! :mrgreen:
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #86  
Kookie Creator

I don't think digital stamps will ever replace rubberstamps; i do think they are a wonderful addition to our crafting stashes.

I think they are another creative tool for us to use; i'm sure at some time in the future stampers will be using digital stamps and all the wonderful aspects of photoshop/psp type software to combine digital art and physical card making, to develop new styles of cardmaking that we just haven't discovered yet.

I love stamping, and all the different techniques and effects you can get using rubberstamps; but i also love to draw, paint, create digital collage and anything else that gets my creative juices flowing.

Anything that encourages people to get creative with their hands and minds is great as far as i'm concerned. I'd love to see more stamp companies selling digital images, as i'd much prefer to spend my money on images than shipping costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #87  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_weyremasterView Post

Anything that encourages people to get creative with their hands and minds is great as far as i'm concerned.
You said it !!

Korin Sutherland
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #88  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_weyremasterView Post
I don't think digital stamps will ever replace rubberstamps; i do think they are a wonderful addition to our crafting stashes.

I think they are another creative tool for us to use; i'm sure at some time in the future stampers will be using digital stamps and all the wonderful aspects of photoshop/psp type software to combine digital art and physical card making, to develop new styles of cardmaking that we just haven't discovered yet.

I love stamping, and all the different techniques and effects you can get using rubberstamps; but i also love to draw, paint, create digital collage and anything else that gets my creative juices flowing.

Anything that encourages people to get creative with their hands and minds is great as far as i'm concerned. I'd love to see more stamp companies selling digital images, as i'd much prefer to spend my money on images than shipping costs.
Very well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #89  
Crimping Master

Furniture can be made without the human touch anymore, as can numerous other items, but there are still people out there who hand make furniture...and people who buy their product. So IMHO, digistamps will, I'm sure, become much more popular, but the market for the 'real' 3D thing probably won't completely disappear any time soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #90  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just checking back in on this thread. I just wanted to let the people who do want to use digi stamps to colour but have a problem with the ink smearing. You can use a spray fixative over the image. I usually have to use it even when I use regular stamps to seal my ink (I use stazon with gamsol and it smears), so I use the fixative on just about everything I stamp.

This has become an interesting topic. Its amusing how "hardcore" some people are when it comes to their crafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #91  
Polyshrink Goddess

As for digital replacing stamping, won't happen. While I love my digital images, I do love the stamping part, too.

Oh and as for those who said you can't run a 2" piece of paper through your printer? Well, you most certainly can! I wrote a tutorial on how to paper piece with digital images. :mrgreen:

I have enclosed the tutorial on this post for those of you wondering HOW IN THE HECK?

I ask that you don't alter or take my work and publish it as your own and blah, blah, blah....but feel free to use it if you're into the digital!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Paper piecing tutorial2.doc (2.66 MB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #92  
Polyshrink Goddess

This has been a very interesting read. As a graphic designer I can appreciate the "ease of use" associated with digital images, but I would never, ever use them myself. In fact, I often design images for my stationery sets and wedding invitations that I would love to use on cards, but I don't, simply because I can't hand stamp them. The tactile quality of this art form is what drives me to get excited about creating. I love to see the slight variations in color and the waxiness of embossing when you use rubber and ink. These "imperfections" and textures are what makes our work so uniquely our own. I think some folks will find digital images to be the perfect solution for them, but I am not one of those folks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #93  
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking Computer blew its mind today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

I hafta admit, however, that with my luck, the printer would get jammed, I'd get frustrated, my blood pressure would sky-rocket, and I'd huck the printer through the window. :shock:
So ther I was htinking maybe give a few more Digi's a try; whennn My COMppp8**TER Bllll111ew up so it was a BAAAAd day and back to hand stamping! LOL.:-D

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #94  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Tell Me More!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenziView Post
I posted a pic earlier in this thread...used watercolor paper and ran it through my inkjet with no problem. I colored it and it and the colors didn't run and then I embellished with my usual embellies. Not for everyone I guess and that is the only card I did with digital so far. Still love the wood and clear stamps, also.
Was this watercolor paper that you cut down to fit your printer? my 300lb will not roll around and feed through. have i missed Bockingford or someone releasing printer sheets that are watercolour paper? not just textured printer paper? :-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #95  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalekView Post
Was this watercolor paper that you cut down to fit your printer? my 300lb will not roll around and feed through. have i missed Bockingford or someone releasing printer sheets that are watercolour paper? not just textured printer paper? :-D
I am using Canson 124# in the 9 x 12 sheets. Just had to cut it down a little.
Went through the printer really well...no problem.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #96  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cool Can we put a list together?

How about sharing Digi images that are copyright free?
My personal interest is ones that I can watercolor in. handy when your in a hurry and your computer is working.. and your printer doesn't jam! *chuckle*

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #97  
Polyshrink Goddess

Arrow Thanks!

Quote:

I am using Canson 124# in the 9 x 12 sheets. Just had to cut it down a little.
Went through the printer really well...no problem.
Thank You, I'll try that out for sure, do you know I've only just spotted that when posting there is a little bit just below... and there you were! Love that Hebrews scripture too, but missed your picture what number is it in the post? TIA

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #98  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DalekView Post
Thank You, I'll try that out for sure, do you know I've only just spotted that when posting there is a little bit just below... and there you were! Love that Hebrews scripture too, but missed your picture what number is it in the post? TIA
It is post #31.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #99  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I recently made my first card with a digital image from squigglefly.com I used my inkjet printer to print off on watercolor paper. Then, I just colored it with Tombows. Really had fun with it. Of course, I love the wood mounted stamps and will certainly continue to buy those.

FS104 All Dressed Up by Benzi at Splitcoaststampers
I just saw this post about using watercolors. I have not had any luck using watercolors with my images but have never tried printing them on watercolor paper either. Does the watercolor paper absorb the ink from the printer better?
This is very interresting. Have to get some thinner watercolor paper to try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #100  

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I just saw this post about using watercolors. I have not had any luck using watercolors with my images but have never tried printing them on watercolor paper either. Does the watercolor paper absorb the ink from the printer better?
I have only tried it on watercolor paper and not cardstock. I probably let mine dry overnight...don't remember but I had no problem with smearing. I did just now print out a digital on my watercolor paper and if I ran my finger over it, it smeared so I guess I would let it dry for quite a while before I watercolored it. Then, you should not have any problem. I didn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #101  
Kookie Creator

I would hope we don't see manufactures completely switching over to digital, but that it would be something additional they offer of the same images. Personally if I'm going to print something out and color it, there is already a wealth of free stuff out there....clipart, dingbats, online coloring book images. Plus I just like the hands on activity, the feel of the stamp in my hand, the smell of stazon, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #102  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCritterView Post
This has been a very interesting read. As a graphic designer I can appreciate the "ease of use" associated with digital images, but I would never, ever use them myself. In fact, I often design images for my stationery sets and wedding invitations that I would love to use on cards, but I don't, simply because I can't hand stamp them. The tactile quality of this art form is what drives me to get excited about creating. I love to see the slight variations in color and the waxiness of embossing when you use rubber and ink. These "imperfections" and textures are what makes our work so uniquely our own. I think some folks will find digital images to be the perfect solution for them, but I am not one of those folks.

very well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendyp81View Post
I would hope we don't see manufactures completely switching over to digital, but that it would be something additional they offer of the same images. Personally if I'm going to print something out and color it, there is already a wealth of free stuff out there....clipart, dingbats, online coloring book images. Plus I just like the hands on activity, the feel of the stamp in my hand, the smell of stazon, etc.

me too! i always have to smell it when i use it!

but have been warned not to HUFF it! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #104  

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I forgot to say on my post #100 to you that you can heat emboss the image if you need it quickly. I think that would work well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #105  
Cardstock Collector

But how do I color them? When I use markers it gets on them. If I use watercolor pencils when I apply the water, it bleeds...How do you get Digitals to completely DRY!!!???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #106  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

A laser printer is one answer.
I rarely use them, since I don't have a laser printer. What I do is spray the paper with fixative before colouring, and if I'm careful that works fine. If your printer puts out enough ink and you work quickly, you can heat emboss with clear EP.
There are quite a few threads discussing this. I'm in the middle of preparing dinner just now, but if nobody else links you to some of them I'll try to remember to come back.
There's a whole sub-forum for digital stamping, you'll probably find some good answers there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #107  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Some suggestions in this thread: I'm so frustrated!! by klh54 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #108  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

Personally I am printer challenged, no joke. every single printer I have purchased for my home lasts about a week and a half..

I would never bother to buy a digital print out because, ta-da I have no way to print it.

I also do not print digital photographs (ever) they always look better on a screen then they do on paper.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #109  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinChrissyleaView Post
Great thread! I also think the hands on aspect will never kill stamping. And to make sure we best get stamps in our kids' little hands early!!! While the computer is handy, there's nothing that compares to coloring, cutting and pasting.

I would like to see the future of this craft go green as in making quality stamps made from recycled plastic or other recyclable. This could be the foam, the packaging, the image, anything.

I'm starting to unmount all my SU rubber stamps which leaves the wood blocks. I plan to send them on to my inlaws to use in their woodstoves. FIL has one in the barn and BIL has one in the basement. From the earth the blocks came, and to earth they shall return. I'm using CD cases from CD's I recently cataloged into a CD book with pages to save space. The former boxes will go to others who may need them or reused in other areas of the house for organization needs.

The future of the craft is what we make it.
I like the idea of going green. My friend is a rubber stamp manufacturer and I have been telling her to do away with the wooden blocks since don't know when but she said her customers don't know how to use acrylic blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #110  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I also do not print digital photographs (ever) they always look better on a screen then they do on paper.
Is it a camera issue rather than a printer issue? Maybe your camera should be set at a higher resolution so it doesn't look grainy, blurry, or pixelated? HowStuffWorks "Digital Camera Resolution"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #111  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really believe that as a country we still cherish the "DIY" mindset. Women still sew, bake, make soap, candles, knit...... people still play "real" musical instruments (not synthesized) all of those capabilities are sought after and learned for pleasure, not from necessity.
IF rubber stamps get replaced by digital many years hence then those crafters will probably still enjoy the creative process as much as we do now with our rubber.

What I wonder about......and this has 'nothin to do with 'nothin....... is the future of libraries?? Think about it - 25 years from now, who is going to patronize them? How will they survive? Yes, there will always be book lovers, but is it the love of the content of the book or the binding and the cover? Or newspapers? Or coupons?

All or most media will be digital/electronic. It's already happening. 25 years from now our grandchildren may be asking " Grandma, what was a newspaper? "
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #112  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I still love the library but I agree that it seems like they will fall by the wayside in the future. One neat thing that our library system is doing is offering books for Kindle's now...trying to keep up with the times I guess. Plus they have been doing more things to try and bring people in - holding classes on various topics at different locations (it's a large library system). I don't own a kindle or nook or other device to read books....thought about getting one but I still love the feel of a real book to read. There's just something about that paper and cover and binding that is comforting. Guess I'm a bit old fashioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #113  
Polyshrink Goddess

HAHAH

I apologize for sort of steering off the OP - but even though I sooooo love books, I haven't bought one since I bought my Kindle Fire. And probably never will again. I carry my Kindle everywhere I go in my purse. I have about 60 books loaded onto it, all of my Audio books, games, apps and EVEN all of Cricut Cartridge handbooks. In fact I just saved a whole bunch of the Splitcoast challenges on it.

Because my eyes are old, I can dim the back light, change the color of the page,and adjust the size of the font. I can highlight passages, make any personal notes and get instant dictionary definitions. All of that in a little 7" tablet.

Our library has started "loaning" out e-books also. Hopefully it might keep them alive for a few more years.
Reply With Quote Likes