Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Future of Stamping?

DH and I were just talking about how stamps are made. He is a tool and die maker and always thinks about the more technical aspects of things. He asked me about the difference between a stamped image and and an image printed out on a printer (a digital stamp). I love my rubber stamps, but I can also see a real advantage to digital stamps in that size and orientation can be modified-it's pretty easy to resize or flip an image one way or another in Photoshop prior to printing it out. It also takes up much less space to store images and papers on your hard drive. Do you think that's where stamping is going?

I am fairly new to stamping but have fiddled around with digital photography/scrapbooking for many years. One of the main attractions to stamping for me is that it is "real"-I can put my hands on it, not just my cursor. Don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of proud moments after finishing a particularly challenging digital project- but somehow it's just not the same as the rubber and ink creation.

So, I'm just curious about how you all feel about all the future of stamping and where it's headed . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't see digital ever replacing some form of "real" stamping.

Can you put a little 2" x 2" square through your printer? Can you put chipboard through your printer? Does your printer work with vellum, acetate, handmade paper, etc.?

There is a LOT that stamps can do that digi images can't. While digi may be the new trend, I don't think it has the staying power that rubber does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I need to feel the stamp in my hand. Too much of my life is spent in front of a screen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, first of all there is a real issue with printer inks verses the inks we have to use for the different mediums we use to color with...

Can't see digi taking over rubber...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Personally, I love the hands-on aspect of rubber stamping. Plus, unless you have a really great printer (which I don't), I find that printed images just don't look as good - not to mention that there are a lot of techniques you just wouldn't be able to do (i.e. coloring in images with markers, watercolors, etc. - the printer ink would just bleed and smear). Another drawback would be not being able to use those little scraps of paper - you can't put those through the printer. The cincher for me, though, is the cost of printer ink - I've tried printing out some digital patterned papers, and it drains those ink cartridges REALLY fast! Definitely not cost-effective, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Rubber will always be king! Actually, I see red rubber replaced completely at some point with the clear.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't see rubber stamping being replaced by digital stamping. There is just something about the feel/texture of holding a stamp and the layers and embellishments on the projects you make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannie barronView Post
I need to feel the stamp in my hand. Too much of my life is spent in front of a screen.
I agree - if you spend all day doing computer work, do you really want your hobby to be exclusively on computer too?

Also - I think real rubber stamping has the tendency to be more social than digital. Not that there are not social sharing aspects to digital message boards. But to me - its just not the same as getting together in a group with a pile of stamps, supplies, techniques and ideas that everyone shares.

JMHO..........;)

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have used the computer to flip images and do some 'stamping' work but even the digital artists still use a hand on medium. You have to 'cause art is a feeling! I don't even care about the digital cards I get...I want one someone made for me. It means they took say an hour out of their life for me. That means a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Great thread! I also think the hands on aspect will never kill stamping. And to make sure we best get stamps in our kids' little hands early!!! While the computer is handy, there's nothing that compares to coloring, cutting and pasting.

I would like to see the future of this craft go green as in making quality stamps made from recycled plastic or other recyclable. This could be the foam, the packaging, the image, anything.

I'm starting to unmount all my SU rubber stamps which leaves the wood blocks. I plan to send them on to my inlaws to use in their woodstoves. FIL has one in the barn and BIL has one in the basement. From the earth the blocks came, and to earth they shall return. I'm using CD cases from CD's I recently cataloged into a CD book with pages to save space. The former boxes will go to others who may need them or reused in other areas of the house for organization needs.

The future of the craft is what we make it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think each has its place. I started out as a digi scrapper then went to paper. I love digi because I can get anything I want or if I can't find it I can create it myself. Anything digi I usually create myself so I get it all for free. I have used line art printed out on cardstock and then coloured in on some of my cards. For the most part, digi could probably cover about 90% of my stamping because I tend to use line art type stamps and then colour them in and that is something that I could have thousands of thousands of images for free - something I couldn't do with real stamps.

Now there is something to be said for the tactile aspect of using ink and rubber. I don't think either one will win out over the other. They're two distinct crafts. Something else to think about it that all those stamp images are usually digital images and then transformed into stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
I have used the computer to flip images and do some 'stamping' work but even the digital artists still use a hand on medium. You have to 'cause art is a feeling! I don't even care about the digital cards I get...I want one someone made for me. It means they took say an hour out of their life for me. That means a lot.
I agree 100%-'from the heart' is 'from the heart'. The medium used isn't really important at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The diversity of a stamp has always amazed me. I can use markers to select parts of it - color it one color or many, use it on multiple paper types and even on glass - pastels vs. inks vs. crayons all give a different effect as does watercoloring - it's awesome the amount of things you can do with one stamp set!

Also, you guys reminded me of a stamp I have that says:

"I couldn't use my computer - the cat ate my mouse."

I use it a lot since I work in technology where many would expect me to use the printer more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeannie barronView Post
This is exactly why I recently got back into paper crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I have used my computer for years to make cards and always felt something was missing. I never felt very creative. Oh I used brads and ribbons and fancy fonts, but it wasn't until I started stamping a few months ago that I really feel creative. I still need to master many techniques, but I love what can be done with the stamps. I still use the computer for some words, but the coloring of the stamps with the various inks is what really sets off the card. That is what is personal about my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

I think as life gets more technical, crafts that are hand made will reign. I love the feel of the stamp in my hand and trying different colors together. I just don't feel that same satisfaction with a computer screen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Ah, this is a topic I feel stongly about! I spend about six hours a day in front of a computer at work, 5 days a week. When I want to create, I do NOT want to do so at a computer! I do edit photos, shop, and participate in on-line communities at home on my computer. But I relish the physical joy of stamping, cutting, and washing ink off my stamps and fingers to create!

If I didn't use a computer all day, I'd probably get into digital scrapbooking and creating. But, in the present, I spend too much time already in front of a keyboard and mouse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

before i discovered stamping i used to make my cards on the computer.

i haven't made a card on my computer since!

i agree that it is easy to adjust the size, flip the image and add what colors suit your desire.

i am sure some will prefer it over stamps & ink the same way that some prefer wood mounted rubber, unmounted stamps or clear stamps...

as for me... i will stamp FOREVER!!!

long live stamps and ink!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momof2ShihtzusView Post
Rubber will always be king! Actually, I see red rubber replaced completely at some point with the clear.....
I don't see rubber being replaced by computer or clear only. Rubber has a strong following, and that just isn't going to change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Prior to digital images some said that clear stamps would reset the rubber stamps. As of today, that hasn`t happen. Both of them have their use and thats good! The same goes for digital and rubber stamps I think.

For me nothing is more than feeling the stamps in my hand, I get a lot of inspiration while actually stamping. Though I wouldn`t reset it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

I hope that rubber isn't replaced with clear! I don't buy images that I can't get in rubber...just don't like working with clear stamps that much.
I guess I wouldn't mind digital images, but computer ink often smears with some mediums. What do people do about that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I would second Carole's post, I do enough in front of the computer that I really want to do my stamping elsewhere I like the ink on my fingers and the feel of paper and other toys. I would not mind if rubber would be replaced by polymer, not buying rubber anymore these days....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 AM   #23  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

There is a "place" for digital images in our economy. They are CHEAP. They have no real storage issue. And, they can be printed out onto card stock, watercolor paper, etc... REMEMBER...MOST digital images are FOCAL images, not backgrounds, etc.(I cut these out!)

Now, my REAL issue with digital images is that I can not, for the life of me, watercolor with them. I can color with copics just fine, as long as I heat set my image from the printer.

I have an INK JET printer. I have been told that the images can be watercolored if run through a laser printer...Sorry, WAY out of my league.. I couldn't afford the ink for a laser printer...

HOWEVER, and here's the BIG one....Digital images to ME, are just like coloring in a stamped image. Most of the digital images I own are BIG ones meant to be cut out and mounted to a background. This is fine by me. I still stamp the sentiments with traditional stamps. I still stamp in the backgrounds, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bb&kkView Post
I think as life gets more technical, crafts that are hand made will reign. I love the feel of the stamp in my hand and trying different colors together. I just don't feel that same satisfaction with a computer screen.
ITA.

Brain research shows a definite connection between lower rates of depression for people who do something creative with their hands...using our hands with larger gestures than required of keyboarding combined with creative activity actually changes our brain chemistry. Professions that involve activity like this, such as auto mechanics and construction workers, have lower rates of depression than people who sit at keyboards all day.

Obviously, this is an oversimplification and there are limits to the research's applicability, but the gist is that people who suffer depression should take up a hobby that uses their hands in addition to meds (not in replacement of them). The researchers also recommended taking up such hobbies for people who may not be depressed but who work in jobs where creativity and movement are limited as a preventative for depression. Can't hurt!

So...rubber-and-ink stamping really is therapy and good for us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Digital scrapbooking has already had a huge impact on the papercrafting industry and I suspect that digital images will as well.

I don't think digital images will replace stamping, but I think savvy vendors will figure out the price and quality of inks and printers issue and we will start to see more and more images and papers offered digitally. New technologies will emerge and many folks will start making hybrid items (part digital, part non digital).

I think that one of the reasons this will happen is price -- paying $20 and up for a set of stamps is getting old, particularly when the stamps are plastic; other reasons include going green, space, and the fact that many folks only USE their finished items on line. A lot of stampers make an item simply to post it on line, and then it sits in a box! So the need for "real" things lessens.

Finally, traditional stampers are aging. The younger generation of stampers are more comfortable,and more proficient, with computers. They are taking over the world!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I agree with Joan, that this may be a generational thing - one that our daughters may do and look quite old-fashioned and one that our granddaughters will be flabbergasted that we ever did (think of how we feel about doing laundry with a washboard and wring washer!).

Great question, though, quite thought-provoking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Just as Faith mentioned, there most certainly is a place for them. We started offering them mainly because of their affordability. Our images will be mostly line images that will be colored.

Digi stamps don't require you to sit in front of the computer for long periods of time. Unless you have editing you want to do to the image, you really just print and go. I too am in front of the computer all day but it takes less than a minute to print off an image and since I'm already there (at the computer), it's not a big deal.

Pros
-Cost (usually 1/2 the cost of a stamp set)
-instant gratification (you download them to your computer instantly after paying)
-no shipping charge which we all know can be a killer
-you can edit size, mirror the images and so much more with the right software and knowledge and even change the colors of fonts for sentiments or color images (although i will always prefer hand coloring)
-they are PERFECT for kids! We don't always want our kid playing with our stamps and inks, but print off some digi stamps for them and they can make cards with you without the mess! AND they make excellent coloring pages if you know how to enlarge the image

Cons
-You can't do the same things with digi stamps as real stamps when trying many new techniques
-the style of images is very limited as they can really ownly be line images for coloring
-not all printer inks will work with your coloring medium (although Copics are PERFECT for digi images as long as you give a minute or two for drying time or heat set)

Digi Stamps will never replace good ole stamping, but they are a nice compliment to the craft !

Korin Sutherland
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennelfView Post
I agree with Joan, that this may be a generational thing - one that our daughters may do and look quite old-fashioned and one that our granddaughters will be flabbergasted that we ever did (think of how we feel about doing laundry with a washboard and wring washer!).

Great question, though, quite thought-provoking.
It's up to the stampers to pass the torch!

DS, in 1st grade this year did his 100th Day project using stamps. His Valentines used a digital download, printed out on my computer.

DD, in 4th grade, used Rollagraph wheels on her Valentines. She did her election project with a combination of computer printed text and photos and die cut Sizzix lettering.

Trends come and go, that's why they're trends. Stamping is here to stay. Shoot, I have a Rollagraph wheel and handle that's probably 20 years old--it doesn't have an ink cartridge, just a red handle that holds the wheel. I also have a handle mounted "clear" stamp that I got from a Hallmark store at least 20 years ago too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

This must be a man thing because my hubby asked me this same question last week. He's a mechanical engineer by the way.

I'm not really interested in digital stamps because I don't like to color that much. I'll color a little but I tend to stay away from larger, detailed images that need to be colored and when I think of digital stamps I think line art images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm an Information Technology Project Manager and other than browsing the net or SCS, I don't want to be on my PC after work.

Before I new how to stamp, I also made digi cards, but never again. I love the hands on aspects of wood, rubber, ink, and paper.

Yes, stamps are expensive, but then most hobbies are expensive. I also think that red rubber is going to be around for a long time. I know the clear stamps are getting so much better, but I just don't think that the clear stamps are going to hold up for years and years like rubber. I guess I'm "old school" but I like my stamps and ink stained fingers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:03 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 635 Likes on 361 Posts

I recently made my first card with a digital image from squigglefly.com I used my inkjet printer to print off on watercolor paper. Then, I just colored it with Tombows. Really had fun with it. Of course, I love the wood mounted stamps and will certainly continue to buy those.

FS104 All Dressed Up by Benzi at Splitcoaststampers
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:22 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

I computer generated card's for years, I have 2 awesome programs for card making, but then I wanted more of a hands on, I wanted to design and color. Now I am hooked, I love stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

While I love the smell of good old rubber combined with the wood blocks (yummm), I must say that digis have become very handy in this busy household of mine. I am a huge fan of shared stamped images (in swaps, etc.) because it is one less step for me to have to take out the ink pad, cleaner, stamp and then -ack!- stamp it again because I messed up somehow.
With that said, I can run off a sheet of digis and have them all ready in case I need to do multiple cards or if my DDs decide they want to color with me. I also love them because you can adjust their sizes as stated above.

Here is one of my pride and joy projects from my gallery:
The Greeting Farm neighborhood by jonjinko at Splitcoaststampers

Geisha and Dorothy (2nd and 4th holder) are digis. For some reason the last magazine holder's door was shorter than normal so I made Dorothy a wee bit smaller to fit to scale. With Geisha I decided to cover up the whole bottom spine of the magazine holder which allowed me to print Geisha in a 4x6 format.
Last week my DD used a digi unicorn from The Greeting Farm for her V-day cards. 22 images were done on our simple printer and colored in no time at all. Instant gratification as well as user friendly in our house.
(Please note that I am not technologically advanced by any means but this was so easy to figure out.)
I think digis are another addition to stamping possibilities, but definitely not a replacement of good old rubber. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I used to make beautiful cards on the computer using my hallmark and other card making programs. Then I was introduced to scrapbooking and rubberstamping. Never did make another card on the computer again. I did buy a program for digital scrapbooking, several years ago. It has never been installed. Don't even know where I put the box.

I spend hours and hours in front of the computer every day, but the computer does not get touched when I'm in my craft room (unless I'm trying to follow a Zindorf tutorial). I can't be bothered to look for something on the computer and print it out for my crafting even though I talked my husband into getting a wifi capable printer, thinking I might print more things, at least sentiments, but have yet to use it for that purpose.

I love the feel of the paper, cutting it, scoring it. I enjoy getting my hands dirty with inks and paint. I hope digital never replaces hands on, but even if companies stopped producing things for my hands on fun, I've accumulated enough paper, inks, stamps, and pretty much everything else I need to last a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I think digi images have a place but I love rubber for the versatility it offers. I can't make textured polymer clay jewellery with my printer, I can't print on old jeans and T-shirts to give them a coordinated look and turn them in a quilt, I can't print on a ceramic jar or a mirror, I can't use a printer to texturise molten embossing powder...

I guess how attached you feel to your stamps depends a little on what you do with them - if you only ever stamp on cardstock and colour in then maybe you wouldn't miss them as much as if you do all the other stuff with them, too.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I did a tutorial on using digital images with watercolor paper, here is the link:
http://dianagibbs.typepad.com/stampi...e-printer.html
- holler if you have any questions.

I do believe digital is fun and has the instant gratification, and we are still creating, I too love the real art of stamping, rubber to ink to paper, nothing makes me smile more, but I think as long as we are doing something we love, and enjoying it, it's all good...right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmmm. Interesting question! I haven't read through the whole thread, but, these are my initial thoughts:

I'm sure it will impact the art stamping industry [negatively] in some ways; whether or not it will as much as the scrapbooking, is anyone's guess.

I personally don't care for digital stamps printed to paper and I will probably never* buy any; for me it is simply too limiting--there are so many fabulous techniques that can be done with manual stamping that simply cannot be duplicated with printed imagery.

*I say "probably" never because part of my dis-interest in them may also lie in art style; I have yet to come across any digital stamps that I personally find so appealing I'd actually consider buying them.

But, even if I did, I just don't find it anywhere near as much fun or enjoyable to print out images on a computer to color, as manually inking and stamping to be; for many card makers/stampers, the art form is very much about process--kinda like the differences between a printed greeting card, vs. a Letterpress card.

But, that's me. I can't speak for anyone else and everybody enjoys different things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

So---can I use my stamping expenses on the tax from under medical?????????I'm sure i would be very depressed with out my stamping times/equipment.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a very interesting thread because I am getting ready to open a new online store offering digital images. These however aren't made for creating your card online (even though I suppose you could), but made for printing out and using just as you would a stamp, color and create your card with the image. You can't use watercolors to color, but copics work great and prismacolor pencils with gamsol work great (baby oil smears too).
(Keep your eyes open, I will be posting a design team call here soon!)

That said, I don't really think digital images will replace rubber stamp, but I do believe there is a place for them too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

I'm very limited in space in my current life & being able to print out (perfect) images without having to drag out all my stuff is a MAJOR advantage for me with digi-stamping. I just wish online stamp makers would offer some of their lines in digital format as well. I love that there are more lines that are doing this (just wish more would). I've actaully spend more lately on digi-stamping than on real stamps (clear or rubber). I have much more room on my harddrive than in my apartment & since I can't seem to let go of my SU stamps from years ago ~ that haven't seen ink in years... I don't do papers thou~ way too much ink involved...

Plus ~ I never have to wait for my stamps to get to me in a week or so ~ they're right in my email within minutes of my payment going thru!!! Instant gratification :mrgreen: And my copics work perfectly with my inkjet & I've never heat set...

So~ if any of the member companies are 'listening' (esp ones gearing towards younger stamper ~ not me ~ but my dds) ~ offering your stamps in digital forms would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes