Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electronic vs dies

well maybe I am the wrong person to reply as I started with a cricut expression loved it, bought a cuttlebug loved that then went to more cricuts now have an Imagine, an E2, cricut cake and a create as well as the sizzix eclips with ecal software and an ecraft. Not to be outdone by electronics I have 2 cuttlebugs 2 big shots and a grand caliber and waiting on the ebosser and have a very large amount of dies and own over 250 cricut cartridges and have a huge file of svg cuts. now for dies verses electronic cutters why stick to one when you can have so much fun with all of them. I love all my machines and sometimes use one in preference to another but other times just use one because it is there to use. Does all this save time no it saves my sanity as I create to relax. I have been able to buy these machines as I work and my hobby if I call it that is creating. Different people like doing different things and some are happy with a little cuttlebug and create many things others are happy with just an electronic machine and getting it mastered whichever one they have, others like me like to master all of them but somehow for me it is like children the more you have the more you love them and I wouldn't give them away even though sometimes they do things I just wish they wouldn't do. My advice is to see if you can find a great shop that has the machine you are looking at on demo and go and play with it. if you are on a budget work out how much you can do with just one thing. I have been totally amazed that a person who had 2 embossing folders and one cutting die which came free with the cuttlebug made so many different combinations of cards and 3d projects with this small amount of stuff. Dies will never die and electronic machines will forever be there to ensure that we have something else to master. My advice on electronic vs dies is to be happy with your choice of what you chose. Youtube has a huge number of videos on all of the machines, one will make you think about it more than others. None of them will do everything right every single time and this can be frustrating whether it be a die cut that moves or that you didn't know you are suppose to clean your electronic machines blade. Good luck with what you chose.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #42  
Glitter Queen

It comes down to process Vs finished product...what is your "kick"?

How many of us still make our own cookies for the grand kids...or for Christmas...and bake birthday cakes? There are great specialty stores...for any and everything for "those times".....but for me nothin' is really like being in the kitchen...and generating something all by myself! Home made chili and spaghetti sauce are their own thing too....kaegea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

Hi
manual vs electronic. I had a craft robo but couldnt get to grips with the software and always had trouble cutting thicker cardstock. then bought a cricut which I love. it cuts the cardstock I want no problem cuts shapes I want any size and with the software (so easy to use) can manipulate shape to make other shapes.. now my CB, love that to with spellbinders dies, who can resist all those lovely shapes and embossing folders. both machines play an inportant roll in crafting. the manual machine will never dissapear as there are plenty of crafters out there that just aren't computer minded. (thats why I love the cricut as well). both machines let me get the best out of crafting. It is costly no matter which you choose. but then when what hobby isn't. happy crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the Cameo and a Big Kick. I bought the Cameo because in the long run I will save a lot of money not buying all the dies out there. Plus, they never seem to be the right size. Now I can cut the same shapes to whatever size I want. And there are so many neat card templates and boxes, etc. I still use my Big Kick for embossing. But I use my Cameo for all cutting.

I am not sure I understand the argument about using your hands for crafting as a reason not to use the cameo. I don't know what magic you think is used, but I certainly use my hands to operate my cameo. LOL! I don't really see it as any different than using a manual machine as far as "hands on" goes. But I do understand that the digital cutting machines are not for everyone. I am also an IT geek, so using a computer as part of paper-crafting is just natural for me. I would not enjoy the hobby if I could not use my computer. And I believe that is the whole point, having fun with what you enjoy.

To the original poster; I think if you are on the fence and are seriously considering the cameo or any other digital cutter, there are pros and cons. While you save money by not buying expensive dies and having access to larger dies, up to 12 x 24 inches is a pro, you do have to purchase replacement blades and mats. So factor that cost in as well. And I know for me, I can't go to my local store to get refills. I have to order them online and usually pay shipping. But on the other hand, if you like the fancy lace doily type dies, they can be very expensive and you are stuck with usually just the one size. You can also make cut files for your stamps if you have a scanner and some type of software to manipulate the image. And also as a pro, the company has excellent customer service. I actually had a lemon machine and had a great experience with their customer service in getting a replacement.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

I have both a Big Shot and a Cameo. The Cameo is still in it's box after two months.....never been taken out. I do intend to use it, once I can find a place for it and have the time to figure it out.

I don't think manual die cutters are going anywhere. While I haven't used my Cameo, I have looked over their site and don't see any images that are close to my dies. Also, the Cameo cannot cut the thicker stuff like chipboard which the Big Shot can, not can it cut multiple copies at one time (ex. I can cut several ATC blanks with my Big Shot by stacking several sheets of paper on top of each other then running that through the machine). Also, I like the deep embossing the Big Shot does.

So, once I get my Cameo up and running, I'll use the Print and Cut option (I have a lot of digital files this would be perfect for) for & my intricate images (such as my lace files) and for useful images I can find in their store (almost too much to wade through & I don't do cutesy). However, my Big Shot is staying right where it is. In fact, I'm looking at getting a Vagabond.

That all said, there are things the Big Shot can do that the Cameo can't and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with Buggainok. I've struggled with this issue for years, because I'm a graphic/computer person and using the Silouette would be easy for me (I was obsessed with getting one!). However, I'm also a big fan of the Stampington.com line of magazines and I get a lot of my ideas from Stampers Sampler etc. I finally realized that those artists almost never use electronic die cutting machines, and they rarely use regular dies. They use stamps or cut magazines for text, they draw their own (and celebrate when it's not perfect), they cut up photos or print their own photos on watercolor paper. They make these amazing cards, using what they have on hand. That really got me thinking, and led to me cutting my craft shopping by half. I still dream about a Silouette, but I realize that the creativity in the card comes from ME, what I can come up with using the tools I've already got- including my own imagination. I don't want to pause in my process to figure out how to load the paper or set the size, etc. Get your hands moving and the card or page will come together by itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #47  
Rubber Obsessor

I just started using my Cricut, I am having trouble having them punch out clean. So I increased the pressure. so we'll see if that works. Any other ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #48  
Inking Addict

I have the cricut and wish I didn't. I have 21 cartridges and that is not enough. There have been soooo many times I want something only to find out not one of the cartridges that I own has it!! I look for hours at different stores to find the cheapest because they are so expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

There is one thing that nobody in this thread has brought up, and that's the Cameo's ability to cut your own designs. That's the one reason why I remain on the fence even after all this thought. A Silhouette can adapt to Adobe Illustrator, and depending on the OS of your computer, you can pick up an old Illustrator program at ebay for as little as $40. Once you have that installed and you install the free adapter program from Silhouette, you can make and cut all your own designs. For instance, you can rubber stamp, scan it, use the program to make it a little bigger, and cut a shadow for your stamped design, and then cut the exact stamped design as well. You can cut hundreds of free True Type fonts. And anything you can scan, even a die cut piece of paper, can be incorporated into the Illustrator program and cut with the Cameo, which means (although not really fair) you could, in theory, make a paper cut of all your friends stencils, dies and punches and then use your Cameo to cut your own. If you take a picture of a butterfly, you can cut that exact butterfly with your Cameo. So for those of you with strong computer skills, the Sillouette Cameo really WILL allow you to stop buying dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #50  
Cardstock Collector

Default Silhouette Cameo..... just love it!

I truly feel that each of us is different in how we like to create. That said, I have watched my scrap booking friends use the Cricut and the other die cutters like Cuttlebug. They all work well, I like the idea of buying individual images that are kept on my computer and the ease of changing sizes and also using the fonts that are already on my computer. The Cameo is so easy and so versatile and it's the newest techie thing. Glad that we all find something that is best for us! Enjoy the end product....... the creativity!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

This has been a good discussion for a newbie like me considering these machines as well.

In terms of the hands on aspect, I am the same way. For example, I tried to make a photobook on shutterfly and couldn get past the first page. Clicking through screens, staring at a computer etc was not me. I need to feel my work, stand back and look at it, adjust it with my hands etc. I guess for me the creating doesn't really register if I'm on the computer. that said, a cameo would be nice for certain uses but I don think I could rely on it as my only way to cut things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #52  
Glitter Queen

Heart I love my electronic cutter...and my dies

I was on the fence for years before I caved and bought an electronic cutter. I personally prefer the Pazzles Inspiration...but there are many different brands out there to meet our demands. The one thing that I didn't want to do was to collect cartridges like I did dies.

That being said, I still use all of my border punches and embossing folders. However, I can now design what I don't have. One of the things that I like about my Pazzles machine is that it will cut virtually anything that is the thickness of or lesser than the thickness of a nickel. That includes plastic. Yes, it cuts plastic....and that means that I can make my own embossing folders. It is a tedious undertaking depending on what you want....but I have done it and it works great. It also means that I can make my embossing folder whatever size it want up to what will fit through an embossing machine. But,one person said that she used her old rolling pin with lots of elbow grease to get larger embosses LOL.

But....I still use my punches. Sometimes, it is just easier to pull it out than to search a file. It just depends on my mood at that particular moment. If it isn't right in front of me, when I am in a hurry, I probably won't use it. That includes glitters, embossing powders and paints. It has to be under my nose. Silly, right? It is just my style. Even when I cook or bake...I need it all out in front of me before I start. We are all different. So, it depends on your crafting style as to whether a machine will make the difference for you.

BTW.....if you DO get the machine and can use pdf files (these files are pretty universal and will open in most programs of the cutting machines) I have a website: http://izzaboutchu.yolasite.com. I have tons of free files there for you to download. I add new ones on the last Saturday of the month. I have even made cutting files from tutorials here because that way, I was able to just cut and not think about which fold to cut etc. I just share what I make myself. So enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Lots of great info here, thanks! I had a Cricut before I got a Big Shot, but found myself always using the BS. I sold my Cricut 2 years ago and have never missed it! I had thought about getting an e-craft but didn't. I love using dies and EF and think the only machine I will buy is an electronic machine to save my hands - I've been looking at the new e-boss and vagabond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me nutso, but I'm waiting for an electronic die cutting machine that cuts with a laser, not a blade. Until then, I'm sticking with my Big Shot. Just the thought of changing and adjusting blades gives me hives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #55  
Inking Addict

One thing I've wondered about electronic die cutters is: can they cut all the different materials the Big Shot can? Such as leather, cork, metals, fairly thick cardboards, fabric, etc. I didn't see that addressed here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
So....I am on the cusp of making a decision. Do I continue to buy dies, or bite the bullet and go with the new Silhouette cameo?

I like the ease of use with dies - and I have a cuttlebug and big shot pro, but the dies are very expensive and the intricate ones that I really like tend to be a bit "fussy" to cut.

On the other hand, I love the features of the cameo and that it can cut heavyweight paper, do lots of 3D items and the "dies" are electronic - no storage issues. But the price!! It's not in my budget at this point.

So - this got me thinking - what is the future of all those die making companies - Spellbinders and CHeery Lyn for example? They are wonderful companies but will they be around once the electronic machines come down in price (they will come down eventually).
My experience with the Cameo is that it will not cut heavy weight cardstock. I had a gazelle I was going to sell once I got the Cameo and was not able to after I had difficulty cutting 80 lb cardstock with it. I use it for print and cut with 65lb cs and that is about all.

Electronic dies cutters will not replace my manual dies. I see a place for them both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
There is one thing that nobody in this thread has brought up, and that's the Cameo's ability to cut your own designs. That's the one reason why I remain on the fence even after all this thought. A Silhouette can adapt to Adobe Illustrator, and depending on the OS of your computer, you can pick up an old Illustrator program at ebay for as little as $40. Once you have that installed and you install the free adapter program from Silhouette, you can make and cut all your own designs. For instance, you can rubber stamp, scan it, use the program to make it a little bigger, and cut a shadow for your stamped design, and then cut the exact stamped design as well. You can cut hundreds of free True Type fonts. And anything you can scan, even a die cut piece of paper, can be incorporated into the Illustrator program and cut with the Cameo, which means (although not really fair) you could, in theory, make a paper cut of all your friends stencils, dies and punches and then use your Cameo to cut your own. If you take a picture of a butterfly, you can cut that exact butterfly with your Cameo. So for those of you with strong computer skills, the Sillouette Cameo really WILL allow you to stop buying dies.
And you can get inkscape for free and design inthat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, there is gobs of comments! I have a manual Big Shot and I really love it! I researched it and decided nothing cut beat it's versatility. I love the fact that I can cut through so many different thicknesses. I also have a smaller Cricut. I bought from my Mom when she went up to the bigger size. I'm sure I wouldn't have bought one unless I got a great 'steal' like I did. I invested in several cartridges at Christmas, when they were deeply discounted. So, I'm set, at least for awhile. But I'll never get rid of my Big Shot. I just love it! Hey, just in case some of you may not be aware - Sizzix has a clearance area at their website. You can get both original dies and Sizzlets at an amazing discount. Just keep checking back. Also, I like to save up enough money, so that I place an order that is big enough to receive free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #59  
Embossing Fanatic

Had to get in on this conversation. I have the Pink Wishblade from Xyron and have just purchased the Silhouette Cameo - LOVE them both! The blades and mats for the Wishblade are much more expensive than the ones for the Cameo. Bought the Cameo specifically for scrapbooking - both my girls are into scrapbooking, but still like Mom to make things for them. I want to add the Wishblade would no longer run on Windows 7, but in another forum I found out that the Pink Wishblade would run with the Silhouette program and sure enough it does! Anyone with electronic cutters that no longer work with their computer should try the Silhouette Free program and see if it works for their machine. It's at least worth a try. I also have the Big Shot Express and the Vagabond. I wouldn't get rid of any of my machines as they each serve a different purpose. When making multiple images I love the die cutting machines. When making just one card I usually use one of the hand machines although both of mine are electric because of the weakness in my hands from arthritis. I have lots of dies and Nesties, but won't be purchasing any more because I can do anything with the Cameo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #60  
Glitter Queen

I think the answer is it's ALL good!

There are way many machines purchased..... both manual and electronic...so....some days you may want to bake a cake...and other days you enjoy shopping at cupcake heaven! I have both kinds of machines...and will probably continue to use them ALL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Call me nutso, but I'm waiting for an electronic die cutting machine that cuts with a laser, not a blade. Until then, I'm sticking with my Big Shot. Just the thought of changing and adjusting blades gives me hives.
Laser is available - at a cost way beyond our budget. I can't think of the name, but I know DH has found a couple!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I have both CB and Silhouette and love them both. I love the embossing folders and the dies I often use to trim photos for my scrapbooking. As others have said, I love the Silhouette as I can make alphabet sayings, headings and printed banners with ease. Would not want to be without either. And I am going to jump to the Cameo this fall as my Silhouette is only 81/2x11 and the cameo is 12x12. As to the cs issue on the Silhouette, there are settings you use to set the type of cs weight you are using and which blade corresponds to that setting. I'm not sure how the Cameo works for this aspect but I am looking forward to finding out!! lol!! In the end it is whichever cutter gives me the look I want to achieve I use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #63  
Cardstock Collector

i got a vagabond which i love. it's like a big shot on steroids! you can use all your sizzix dies and your thin metal dies with a thin metal die adapter. granted, i close it up when the grandbabies are around. they like to push the button, but we don't need any squished fingers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #64  
Embossing Fanatic

There are several things to consider. Yes, electronic die machines are quicker, you use less elbow grease and you do not have much in the way of storage.

However, how close is an electrical outlet to your work surface? Will you have to run an extension cord over the floor?

I like to have my machines accessible, I do not want to trip over a cord and either fall and break myself or the machine. Do I want to drag it in or out of somewhere every time I want to use it.

Just thought you might be interested in a couple of other thoughts rather than just expense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

I have to agree with Buggainok. I've struggled with this issue for years, because I'm a graphic/computer person and using the Silouette would be easy for me (I was obsessed with getting one!). However, I'm also a big fan of the Stampington.com line of magazines and I get a lot of my ideas from Stampers Sampler etc. I finally realized that those artists almost never use electronic die cutting machines, and they rarely use regular dies. They use stamps or cut magazines for text, they draw their own (and celebrate when it's not perfect), they cut up photos or print their own photos on watercolor paper. They make these amazing cards, using what they have on hand. That really got me thinking, and led to me cutting my craft shopping by half. I still dream about a Silouette, but I realize that the creativity in the card comes from ME, what I can come up with using the tools I've already got- including my own imagination. I don't want to pause in my process to figure out how to load the paper or set the size, etc. Get your hands moving and the card or page will come together by itself.
As a lot of you know I have a lot of die cutters, lol. I am always playing with die cutters. I am a geek girl. I started with graphic design and went to stamping.

Cakhuxel- Your post really hit me hard in a good way. I am a big fan of Stampington too. My style leans towards that. I have all these cutters in my home and most of the time I am cutting by hand, using found objects, have a large box full of magazine cutouts I am always digging through. I print on all sorts of different kinds of paper and get so excited when I see the outcome. I am most happy with my make do treasures, homemade tools & my coloring tools.

I do love my machines but I seem to gravitate towards them for commercial type items like vinyl for cars or home. Making die cutouts for a trade or just studying and tearing apart the machines. Yes, DH & I tear apart the machines and rebuild them, lol. Warranties are not a word in my vocabulary, lol. We were actually designing a die cutter but I decided I didn't want to spend time I could travel on selling machines and the headaches that go with them.

When I am creating I like the flow. I do agree it's a hassle to get out the mats, load the paper, fool with settings. Last time I created a word in Inkscape, printed it out and cut it by hand. I know what most of you are thinking that took longer than using a machine. I thought it was relaxing. I do enjoy cutting my intricate files with my Cameo.

My DH & I were looking at our cutter collection tonight. We are trying to set up my DH's work area differently. We decided to trade up cutters. We are buying an industrial Roland for him and his friends. I can use it for my heavy work when I need too. This is a lot of money not for a hobbyist, lol. I am keeping my Cameo for my intricate work.

It's funny four years ago I wouldn't be parted with my precious cutters. I grew as an artist and went a different direction. That's a huge thing when deciding on a cutter which one will grow with you. Trust me it took me & my DH several months, almost a year to decide on what we wanted.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Oh my gosh how did you get the Cameo to work with Illustrator? I was told we couldn't use that plugin with the Cameo. I thought we could but I was told no it only works with the older machines. If you could share I would be grateful. I prefer to cut in my graphic design program. Right now I have to design in Inkscape or Illustrator then import into Design Studio.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

personally for me,since i don`t scrapbook i can`t see investing in a circut,but i did buy a slice and hardly ever use it! i also don`t have the space! of all the crafting stuff i own,my cuttlebug and dies definatly get the most use! hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #68  
Gabfest Goddess

So much great info posted here - thanks for all the insight!

I've heard different experiences in terms of what machines will cut - ie heavy cardstock, chipboard, etc.

I will post another thread asking for more specifics on this topic. I am interested in knowing which machine is best for heavyweight material.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #69  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedieView Post
One thing I've wondered about electronic die cutters is: can they cut all the different materials the Big Shot can? Such as leather, cork, metals, fairly thick cardboards, fabric, etc. I didn't see that addressed here. Thanks.

Yes, most of the electronic machines can cut these and more. As I said, I use the Pazzles Inspiration....and they even have a rhinestone kit so that you can sweep rhinestones to be ironed on from designs that they have or that you yourself create. It also has a cake kit for decorating cakes.

There are tools that you can purchase separately that allow you to deboss, engrave, distress, and pierce. To be honest, there is so much that it can do that I have never maxed out its potential.

As for changing the blades as someone here mentioned, they are inexpensive and easy to pop in and out. Even the mats are good quality and last a long time. Once they are maxed out, I use them for glitter mats.

I don't work for this company....just singing their praises.

But, I still use my Cuttlebug a lot. I don't throw babies out with the bath water....LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I don't have an electronic die cutting machine, and don't plan on getting one, so I won't speak to the price aspect vs. manual die cutting.

I do have the thought that manual die cutting machines, and the dies that go with them will continue to be popular with many crafters like myself.

I am a "hands on" person which is why I took up stamping and cardmaking in the first place. I like the process of making something, almost as well as the finished product. The notion of getting on my computer and pressing a button and watching a machine cut something out is not terribly appealing to me. That's why I haven't bought a Cricut either.

I'm not making a judgment about folks who feel differently, just saying that it's not for me. I feel much the same way about digital stamps - I really enjoy the process of inking up a stamp and stamping the image, and then coloring it, too. I also like to sew and crochet.

I get kind of tickled when I hear people talk about "how much time somthing saves." Goodness knows I didn't take up this hobby of making cards to save time, lol.
Oh, this is sooo me! I'm with you sister!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Laser is available - at a cost way beyond our budget. I can't think of the name, but I know DH has found a couple!!
Yes, they're out there, but they won't be mass marketed until the mechanical blade type machine market is saturated. I'm waiting for that saturation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DH has the silhouette. We had a cricut for a short while but the cost of cartridges was ridiculous and I was not using it enough to make it worth keeping so we sold it. It was reading a thread on here which talked about the silhouette made me do the research. ( DH had been whining that for some of his projects he could have used the cricut!) Anyway, I showed him and he ended up with it for his christmas present. I've done some cutouts for cards and do like the freebies you get. He uses it to make stencils for his glass engraving and all sorts of other things. For us, this machine has been the way to go. Interested to hear about the embossing feature. I'll have to check that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
My DH is looking, too. :rolleyes: he has the wood CNC machine and feels that a laser cutter/engraver would be a great addition to his toy set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #74  
Cardstock Collector

Has anyone heard of a Zing Cutter? I just heard of it, about $400, not compatible with my Mac.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

I've got the Big Shot and a Cricut with SCAL 2. I find a use for both but when the Cricut dies, my hope is for a Cameo.

I'm going to make a side comment which is kind of related to the title of the post which is "the future of die cuts". I recently went to a demo put on by Cheery Lynn Designs. The owner made an interesting comment about how dies are evolving so quickly and because of the versatility of the designs and numbers of companies creating them, that he wouldn't be surprised if punches become less popular. He mentioned the amount of storage space a die takes up versus the amount of space a punch making same design would take up. That's another interesting aspect to look at. Do others think the punch might eventually go the way of the Dodo Bird?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I've got the Big Shot and a Cricut with SCAL 2. I find a use for both but when the Cricut dies, my hope is for a Cameo.

I'm going to make a side comment which is kind of related to the title of the post which is "the future of die cuts". I recently went to a demo put on by Cheery Lynn Designs. The owner made an interesting comment about how dies are evolving so quickly and because of the versatility of the designs and numbers of companies creating them, that he wouldn't be surprised if punches become less popular. He mentioned the amount of storage space a die takes up versus the amount of space a punch making same design would take up. That's another interesting aspect to look at. Do others think the punch might eventually go the way of the Dodo Bird?
I sure hope not! I love punches. They are just so handy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default The future of die cuts

There are more and more companies that are making die cuts to match their stamps,would they be doing so if their business case told them that dies were on their way out?

I also wonder if they would keep coming out with new machines and new versions if they did thought people would not continue to buy dies. Why continue to manufacture new machines for something that is dying out. many of us enjoy fussy cutting, and for those that don't this is ideal especially if you have to cut out a lot of images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #78  
Gabfest Goddess

I have not purchased a punch in years!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #79  
Embossing Fanatic

I think punches will be like the Dodo Bird. In order to keep up with the dies, they are getting larger, heavier and are definitely limited in what kind of materials they will punch.
Storage for punches is one very big headache. The cost of shipping them if you buy on line is prohibitive. Those that are delicate do not seem to always do a good job. Martha Stewart seems to have the best ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sally0306View Post
Has anyone heard of a Zing Cutter? I just heard of it, about $400, not compatible with my Mac.
This is the machine I'm saving for. As far as I can see, it is the best one for my needs. I have a CraftRobo that is still going strong, but I look at it like buying cars - you don't wait until it falls apart before you buy a new better model. As for it being compatible with a Mac, you could run a virtual pc (VM Ware or similar software for Mac) and install the windows platform and run it that way.
Reply With Quote Likes