Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Following card sketches

I'm just curious about your approach to picking papers for card sketches. I look at the sketches and see 4 different designs in it, all matted with black or brown.

How do you decide what DSP paper is the background, what pattern is the flag/banner, what pattern is the oval that sits on top of all this, and what color is your ribbon/embellishment?

Are you picking what appeals to you at the moment, or are you following a design rule (like the 4 points of the grid for focal points, and 60%/30%/10% color rule)?

Last edited by Janet1000; 11-15-2015 at 05:53 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Waaay to technical!! . I usually just pick what color(s) I feel like then. Today was SU Espresso. Found a Dp to go with and went from there.

Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of the time I will decide what the main image or sentiment will be, based on the sketch layout. Then I can pick paper based on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I decide what image (or sentiment) I'm going to use first. That helps me determine if the papers should be elegant, whimsical, whatever. Color comes next, and I'll just select a few papers that go well together and play around with them to see which one I want to see the most of, which I want to see the least, and layer accordingly...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennikView Post
Waaay to technical!! . I usually just pick what color(s) I feel like then. Today was SU Espresso. Found a Dp to go with and went from there.

Jennik
I'm a CPA, I look for the rules in everything I guess LOL.

I've never used sketches before, and just recently found the 6x6 DPS card maker on YouTube (Kristie). I thought her cards were cute, and it looked easy enough. She did a video on how to figure out the measurements on a sketch if they are not given, which was logical. But she never talks about how she chooses the paper for the elements in the sketch, or if she just wings it.

I noticed on OWH sketches the different pieces are different shades of black and wondered if that was for a reason other than to make it easy to recognize the different layers on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I decide what image (or sentiment) I'm going to use first. That helps me determine if the papers should be elegant, whimsical, whatever. Color comes next, and I'll just select a few papers that go well together and play around with them to see which one I want to see the most of, which I want to see the least, and layer accordingly...
Picking the image or sentiment first makes sense.

I've been making the card according to the sketch and then finding a sentiment that fits into the final circle/square/oval later. I usually make my fronts up and store them, then pop on a sentiment when I need a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Maybe it would help if you find a card you like and break it down into a sketch. You can adapt the colors, the image or the sentiment that the cardmaker used. But for your next card, I think you would have an easy time following just the sketch.

Also, remember you don't have to use the sketch as is. You can add to, subtract from and rotate the sketch to fit what you have in mind.

I also have color recipe cards. When I see a color combo I like, I translate the colors to match the cardstock I have (which is Papertrey's). This color combo doesn't have to come from cards: fabrics are a great source of inspiration for me.

So if I'm not sure what I want to work on next, I'll pick a sketch card plus a color recipe card and try something based on those. This also helps bring the mojo back home if it's gone on vacation somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Maybe it would help if you find a card you like and break it down into a sketch. You can adapt the colors, the image or the sentiment that the cardmaker used. But for your next card, I think you would have an easy time following just the sketch.

Also, remember you don't have to use the sketch as is. You can add to, subtract from and rotate the sketch to fit what you have in mind.

I also have color recipe cards. When I see a color combo I like, I translate the colors to match the cardstock I have (which is Papertrey's). This color combo doesn't have to come from cards: fabrics are a great source of inspiration for me.

So if I'm not sure what I want to work on next, I'll pick a sketch card plus a color recipe card and try something based on those. This also helps bring the mojo back home if it's gone on vacation somewhere.
Great idea on the color recipe card.

I usually don't use DSP. I tend to make cards from solid cs or make my own DSP. I use a lot of dies.

I really liked the idea of buying a pad of DSP and whipping out 20 cards from sketches. I have 4 different 6x6 pads and I'm going to give it go. If nothing else, I can do all my layering out of my scrap folders, which are over flowing so good use that resource.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all your inputs. It's interesting to see that paper selection is from experience. I was wondering if anyone used a light to dark ratio in paper selection, but see it's about picking what ever suits you at that moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

As with pretty much anything/everything in the art/craft realm, so much of it is personal and subjective and you really, truly DO get to make your own rules. That's what makes it YOUR art, and not someone else's... Just have FUN!!! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 03:57 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

With the sketch challenge cards here, I often print out the sketch (there are files for ALL the sketches that have been here which is an awesome resource!) I am very spatially challenged so it helps me to be able to physically flip the sketch around to see what it would look like in different orientations. You can also measure the sketch components if you like because it prints in real size! A lot of people frame their component pieces to define the layers even more. I like the look, but don't often do it myself. As with others, I usually pick my image first then go from there. I do have the SU color combo cards and have occasionally used that to grab an idea, but I usually just put things together myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 06:05 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I do have the SU color combo cards and have occasionally used that to grab an idea, but I usually just put things together myself.
SU makes color combo cards? Is this the color recipe cards? Do you buy those, or get them free from your demo or upline? Interesting concept.

It's great that the sketches print out in actual size. I love the OWH sketches - all the measurements are noted. Not that I follow them exactly, but it is nice to see the sizes in relation to the over all design/scale of the card.

Your link to the sketches is not working for some reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 06:27 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

If you are starting out with papers you wish to use, can I just suggest that you choose them and then colour your image to match. I don't use a lot of DP (mostly do when I am following a sketch), and if you colour your image first, you can't always find papers which really go with it. I guess that's maybe why I don't use sketches a lot, I've usually chosen and coloured an image before I start on the layout!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Thanks for all your inputs. It's interesting to see that paper selection is from experience. I was wondering if anyone used a light to dark ratio in paper selection, but see it's about picking what ever suits you at that moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

My color recipe cards started out with free ones from Papertrey Ink; Nichole Heady used to post 12 cards on the 15th of every month (at the end of each release). She would include 6 color recipe cards and 6 sketch recipe cards, using color combinations and sketches based on cards made by the design team during that release. She did this as a freebie every month for 2-3 years. I started making my own cards based on sketches I liked and based on color combinations I liked. Check out the Design Seeds website for some wonderful inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"4 points of the grid for focal points, and 60%/30%/10% color rule"

I've never heard of this rule. The 60/30/10 color rule is easy enough to understand. But what is the 4 points of the grid rule? Is that taking the card and dividing it into four sections (2 wide x 2 high)? I know the rule of thirds but not the 4 points, help!

Design Seeds -- oooh, ahhh. I could have used this site when I was choosing colors to paint the interior of my house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 03:06 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is 4 points of the grid and the rule of thirds are one and the same. When you divide a card into thirds both horizontally and vertically you wind up with a grid with 4 intersecting points. Placing your focal point at one of the 4 points (or along one of the lines if oblong in shape) is more pleasing to the eye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 05:30 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I always select my image first. Then I find a sketch that will fit that particular stamp. Sometimes there are several so I have to whittle it down. (Hey Gail, I print all the sketches also and have them in a big binder. They are definitely one of my tools). Then if I am going to use DSP, I choose that first and pull the colors from that. I use the color coach from SU, of which I am so disappointed they discontinued this item, but that helps me pair colors together too. Especially if I'm not using DSP on my card. But Sue is right, whatever you do, your card is your card and unique to you. Have fun.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to pick the image first..or-die cut which ever I decide. Then layers and backgrounds. Usually I try to incorporate a folder or two...just because I love them so much! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 06:56 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

My color recipe cards started out with free ones from Papertrey Ink; Nichole Heady used to post 12 cards on the 15th of every month (at the end of each release). She would include 6 color recipe cards and 6 sketch recipe cards, using color combinations and sketches based on cards made by the design team during that release. She did this as a freebie every month for 2-3 years. I started making my own cards based on sketches I liked and based on color combinations I liked. Check out the Design Seeds website for some wonderful inspiration.
Thanks for the Design Seeds! It is wonderful to see the images and the color palettes. I liked playing with the color sliders! Great tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Thanks for the head's up about Design Seeds. I've bookmarked the site.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
"4 points of the grid for focal points, and 60%/30%/10% color rule"

I've never heard of this rule. The 60/30/10 color rule is easy enough to understand. But what is the 4 points of the grid rule? Is that taking the card and dividing it into four sections (2 wide x 2 high)? I know the rule of thirds but not the 4 points, help!

Design Seeds -- oooh, ahhh. I could have used this site when I was choosing colors to paint the interior of my house!
It is the same as the rule of thirds. I didn't know that was the name for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Design Seeds

That website is so cool. It should help with picking colors. I'll have an image and can never find the DSP to match which is probably why I use so many die cuts and solid CS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
SU makes color combo cards? Is this the color recipe cards? Do you buy those, or get them free from your demo or upline? Interesting concept.

It's great that the sketches print out in actual size. I love the OWH sketches - all the measurements are noted. Not that I follow them exactly, but it is nice to see the sizes in relation to the over all design/scale of the card.

Your link to the sketches is not working for some reason.
Downloadable sketch files
I don't know if they sell them anymore. It was a ring of cards with color combos for each color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by octoberbabeView Post
Hey Gail, I print all the sketches also and have them in a big binder. They are definitely one of my tools.
I keep the ones I print and I've intended to put them in a binder, but haven't made it happen yet. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I always start with the shape and size of the focal panel(s). If it's large, I might go for a large colorable image or one I download from the Internet (like Graphics fairy). If it's long and skinny, maybe I use a verse stamp. If it's circular and not too big, maybe it becomes a flower embellie or if it's larger, a cluster of flowers and ribbon. Once I choose that, I move on to the paper. I pick one that matches my image or I colour the image to match. I do try and think a bit outside the box for at least one element. Like a long skinny strip that might suit ribbon or twine might become a strip of washi, glitter tape, lace, punched paper lace etc. A panel that looks like a layer on top of another layer might actually be switched so that the lower panel becomes a frame and the upper panel sits down in the center. I just try to make it interesting.

And don't forget you can mirror, flip, or turn the sketch to suit you. Some will allow you to stretch the sketch and add or eliminate layers. I mean you can always do those things but some judges are more picky about choosing winners from 'outside the box' uses of their sketch. Just depends on whether or not you are joining challenges to try and win prizes.
Reply With Quote Likes