Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Flashback stamping - Do you remember?

Recently I went through some old cards I created back in the late 90's and I was truly impressed with what I created without fancy dies, coordiinating stamp sets and stamp platforms.
I believe it's time for a flashback stamping session using those old cards as examples and my favorite classic stamps. Do any of you remember the following companies?

Judikins
https://judikins.com/catalog/judikins_stamps.pdf
https://www.judikins.com/catalog/judikins_supplement.pdf

100 Proof Press,
https://100proofpress.com/
VivaLasVegas Stamps
https://vlvstamps.com/?SID=uis7uonjv0nn34v20at8n6eppu
Lost Coast Designs
Lost Coast Designs: Art Rubberstamps and Artifacts
Hanko Designs
https://hankodesigns.com/
And for those who like cutesy designs there's Darcie's
Welcome to Darcie's
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I have and use stamps from both VivaLasVega Stamps and Lost Coast Designs. Lost Coast has an active challenge (here - challenges are fortnightly) that welcomes stamps from any company and offers a prize as long as there are enough entries. I manage to play along sometimes.

I do love my stamping platform for the ability to add a sentiment right at the end of the process without risk of ruining the card I just spent time on but I could live without most dies etc, I have almost zero matching stamp and die sets (if I can’t cut the image out with scissors, I do something else with the design!).

I’d add Beeswax Stamps to your “classics” list, I think - their Oak Branch stamp remains an absolute favourite of mine. Not the most user-friendly of web sites perhaps but some lovely stamps to browse through if you have some time on your hands!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 12:38 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

What I find amusing is that I did without a die cut machine for years after everyone else I knew bought one. I'm talking about manual die cutting machines because the Cricut wasn't even around yet. I made do with my paper trimmer, a few punches, and those crazy deco edge scissors.
I was much more creative back then, and experimented more. Now it seems like my cards are more cookie cutter and quick and easy. I think my approach changed when I began making cards in volume to donate. Now I'm trying to get out of that mind set and am pulling out some of those older wood mounted stamps and ink them up.
Lost Coast designs are still a company that I like, and I enter their challenges. VivaLasVegas stamps are also still very active and I get their newsletter. 100 Proof was one that I used to buy grab bags from, and I also get their newsletter.
I've been stamping for about 20 years so have seen companies come and go. I feel like a lot of companies are all making the same trendy designs now and am not tempted to buy as often anymore.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I remember all of them except Hanko Designs. Some of these companies are still around, and I still like all of them very much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I have and use stamps from both VivaLasVega Stamps and Lost Coast Designs. Lost Coast has an active challenge (here - challenges are fortnightly) that welcomes stamps from any company and offers a prize as long as there are enough entries. I manage to play along sometimes.

I do love my stamping platform for the ability to add a sentiment right at the end of the process without risk of ruining the card I just spent time on but I could live without most dies etc, I have almost zero matching stamp and die sets (if I can’t cut the image out with scissors, I do something else with the design!).

I’d add Beeswax Stamps to your “classics” list, I think - their Oak Branch stamp remains an absolute favourite of mine. Not the most user-friendly of web sites perhaps but some lovely stamps to browse through if you have some time on your hands!
Thank you for reminding me of Beeswax Stamps, they're in my collection as well.
I agree with you about the stamping platforms. A few months ago I finished unmounting stamps from wood blocks. I now use them with my platforms and I'm very pleased with the results.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post

Yes, I also love Beeswax stamps! I put two of their unmounted stamp sheets on my birthday wish list one year and my daugthter bought them BOTH for me! I was so thrilled. One was a landscape elements set and one was all fairies.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Thank you for reminding me of Beeswax Stamps, they're in my collection as well.
I agree with you about the stamping platforms. A few months ago I finished unmounting stamps from wood blocks. I now use them with my platforms and I'm very pleased with the results.
So, out of curiosity, how are you attaching the unmounted stamps to your platforms? I use Aleenes Tack it Over and Over, but it leaves a mess on my platform lid. Also tried double sided tape , which also leaves a mess. I don't use EZ mount because the bulk makes them almost as hard to store as the wood mounts. Aleenes worked well with my clear blocks but the adhesive just seems to stick to my Misti lid and not stay on the unmounted rubber, as it does with a clear block.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I think a lot of the older stamps that I used to buy had a lot of detail and the designs were unique. They could easily be used without coloring. Newer ones are often more like outline stamps, and most of them are cute in style. They don't stand alone but must be colored. I like coloring in images on occasion but don't want to have to color everything.
I know there are still companies that make more detailed stamps, but it seems like they aren't as popular.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I don't use EZ mount because the bulk makes them almost as hard to store as the wood mounts. Aleenes worked well with my clear blocks but the adhesive just seems to stick to my Misti lid and not stay on the unmounted rubber, as it does with a clear block.
Karen
I got some black ez mount from scrapbook.com that was only about 1/8” thick. I returned most of it and got the thicker gray kind thinking I could then stamp the image on the gray foam before mounting the rubber. Ends up, I couldn’t get the image lined up with the rubber anyway. long story to say that I like the thinner black ez mount more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmm, I've only ever seen and used the thick gray EZmount. Now I may need to check out the thin version. I tried storing my EZ mount stamps in CD cases but they were too thick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

So, out of curiosity, how are you attaching the unmounted stamps to your platforms? I use Aleenes Tack it Over and Over, but it leaves a mess on my platform lid. Also tried double sided tape , which also leaves a mess. I don't use EZ mount because the bulk makes them almost as hard to store as the wood mounts. Aleenes worked well with my clear blocks but the adhesive just seems to stick to my Misti lid and not stay on the unmounted rubber, as it does with a clear block.
Karen
I use a light coat of Aileene's Tack it Over and Over dabbing it on in spots with a q-tip and double sided tape, both work just fine for me. Plus I clean my platform lid with a microfiber cloth that has been spritz with alcohol if there is any residue or ink stains.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 07:32 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post
I got some black ez mount from scrapbook.com that was only about 1/8” thick. I returned most of it and got the thicker gray kind thinking I could then stamp the image on the gray foam before mounting the rubber. Ends up, I couldn’t get the image lined up with the rubber anyway. long story to say that I like the thinner black ez mount more.
Years ago I used the mounting cling foam. If I still had some in my stash I would use it as well.
But since I don't I use Aileene's Tack it Over and Over glue it's more economical and goes a long way since I'm not covering the backs of my rubber heavily or completely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I remember all of them except Hanko Designs. Some of these companies are still around, and I still like all of them very much
Hanko Designs has beautiful Asian inspired stamps and papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 10:05 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Hanko Designs has beautiful Asian inspired stamps and papers.
Uh oh, just checked out Hanko Designs and already want several stamps. Oh, and their papers are gorgeous!!! I used to stop at a big paper outlet on my way home from work before I retired. They carried all kinds of handmade and unique papers from all over the world. I still have a lot of them that I've hoarded, because they were too beautiful to use. The store was a huge warehouse, with no rhyme or reason, and you would just wander through the shelves and stacks and browse until you found a treasure.
Loved that place, but it was bad for me, haha!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 12:51 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I was much more creative back then, and experimented more.
This is so true. My husband always says I’m more creative if I have less to play with and he’s right. It’s one of the reasons I miss the old “limited supplies” that used to be the Friday challenge here at SCS (who’s been around long enough to remember?!)

Just thought of another couple of companies I’d add - Impression Obsession do plenty of stamps that don’t seem as driven by the sort of trends we see from lots of the “cute” companies. They took over the Serendipity Stamps catalogue too so those images are still available that way. And Deep Red stamps has a similarly eclectic approach, I have a couple of theirs and they’re nice quality deeply etched red rubber.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 02:21 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I remember about 15 years ago going into the store Viva Las Vegas while I was in Vegas and I was like a kid in a candy store! They had a huge bin of all unmounted stamps and you just got to pick through them! I was there for HOURS!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 02:37 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

There's another company but I can't remember the name: they did full plates, and a lot of botanicals. At the time, with shipping, they were beyond my budget so I never bought from them or I'd remember the name. I do remember Hanko. Funny, I thought they were gone. Maybe they just stopped carrying Kodomo.
I love the Judikins bear but the only stamps I have are a Harlequin and a music backgrounder.
Cornish Heritage Farms is another one that was beyond my budget at the time and sadly gone before my disposal income increased.
Rubber Romance, because they came bare rubber and shipping wasn't as costly, I have quite a few of those - but not as many as I wanted before she closed down.
Starving Artistamps is another old favourite. I think she might now do clear bullet journal stamps, but I still regularly use the old bare rubber sets I have.

Today's WTUI challenge is about using your oldest or first purchased stamp ;-).

Last edited by Cook22; 02-11-2021 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Editing "fine" which should have been "gone"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 05:47 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Yes, Impression Obsession! Also Great Impressions and the old Hero Arts stamps. @Cook22 I remember the company that made the plates of stamps too. I can't remember the name, though. Didn't they organize stamp expos every year? I used to go to one in Long Island. Maybe @TeeGeeDee remembers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Great botanicals made me think about PSX and Northwoods. I like Northwoods bc they have a lot of flowers other people do not have but their lines are thick if you care.

I have a large collection of Stamps Happen. I think they will be good for WC although I will have to use a tiny brush. Still available on ebay.

As I am unmounting I am being reminded of some old companies...D.O.T.S, Outlines, Diamonds (the one I have has a rhinestone in it! I kept that as wood), Denami, I have old retired images from LeBlanche in the one piece solid white silicone...those are super detailed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Another favorite company is Stamp Francisco https://stampfrancisco.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Here's an article from Rubber Stamp Madness regarding stamp companies
"Where are they now" https://rsmadness.com/where-are-they...r-happened-to/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Here's an article from Rubber Stamp Madness regarding stamp companies
"Where are they now" https://rsmadness.com/where-are-they...r-happened-to/
Thank you for this! It's like a walk down Memory Lane! The company that I was thinking of is Stampsmith. The owner used to run a stamping expo that had events in different states, and that's the one i used to attend in Long Island.

T@Bohodiva !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 02:44 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I remember about 15 years ago going into the store Viva Las Vegas while I was in Vegas and I was like a kid in a candy store! They had a huge bin of all unmounted stamps and you just got to pick through them! I was there for HOURS!
Oh my goodness, I'm glad I've never been to their actual store because I wouldn't have surfaced for days!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Since starting this thread I've been pulling those classic red rubber stamps out and stamping them with my TH platform.
Tip: I used some beeswax on a q-tip and ran it down the metal bars to lubricate it since it would stick open at times. The beeswax took care of the problem!
I'm also using old Colorbox pigment inks. They must be a good 10 yrs old, but they were still full of ink and embossed well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Oh my goodness, I'm glad I've never been to their actual store because I wouldn't have surfaced for days!
Karen
Many years ago my stamping girlfriends and I went to a big rubber stamp convention in Las Vegas. We were so overwhelmed, running around like a deer caught in headlights at night, lol... We made a weekend of attending the convention, sightseeing and visiting VivaLasVegas store... it was great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2021, 06:40 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I've been to Viva LasVegaStamps, and it is an amazing store! The husband actually made me an unmounted version of a wood-mounted stamp that I liked. They are a lovely mom and pop store, and it was like an adventure shopping there.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Since starting this thread I've been pulling those classic red rubber stamps out and stamping them with my TH platform.
Tip: I used some beeswax on a q-tip and ran it down the metal bars to lubricate it since it would stick open at times. The beeswax took care of the problem!
I'm also using old Colorbox pigment inks. They must be a good 10 yrs old, but they were still full of ink and embossed well.
I like that! Flashback stamping AND inkpads!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I've been to Viva LasVegaStamps, and it is an amazing store! The husband actually made me an unmounted version of a wood-mounted stamp that I liked. They are a lovely mom and pop store, and it was like an adventure shopping there.
I own 3 binders of VivaLasVegastamps....so yeah, I would be in big trouble if I actually went there!! That said, I almost never use my VLV stamps anymore because the binders are tucked into my craft closet. There were so many unique and often quirky images that I used on ATCs. They weren't as versatile for card making, unless it was for someone who appreciated strange and quirky (haha!). So they kind of got forgotten. Now I'm motivated to pull those binders out and flip through for inspiration.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I have a couple of Brilliance ink pads that I always know the age of - I bought them before I was even really a stamper so that I could add a sentiment to a baby card, one is pink one is blue (baby’s gender was not known ahead of time). That baby is just coming up to her 15th birthday and the pads, which have never been reinked, still perform perfectly.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #30  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Yes, Impression Obsession! Also Great Impressions and the old Hero Arts stamps. @Cook22 I remember the company that made the plates of stamps too. I can't remember the name, though. Didn't they organize stamp expos every year? I used to go to one in Long Island. Maybe @TeeGeeDee remembers.
Scrapjanny ... Auntie Amy's Embossing Arts? I think I Brake For Stamps bought their line but I can no longer find a website for I brake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #31  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for this! It's like a walk down Memory Lane! The company that I was thinking of is Stampsmith. The owner used to run a stamping expo that had events in different states, and that's the one i used to attend in Long Island.

T@Bohodiva !
Well, I guess it wasn't Auntie Amy but she did have gorgeous floral images, usually in several sizes.

I think Stampsmith might have also done photo images. I know Hearts in Touch had many of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Oh My Goodness! I think this thread just dated me. I have a collection of PSX botanicals that I pull out and stamp for my mom when she gets bored and wants to watercolor. I still have some of their embossing powders, the jars have lasted forever, but a couple of the metallic ones have tarnished.

Some of Stamps Happen Angels and snowmen will be in my collection forever and get pulled out periodically.

Some where in my craft room are a couple of Darcie's box templates and sheets of 12 X 18 printed cardstock they used to sell for making treat boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Well, I guess it wasn't Auntie Amy but she did have gorgeous floral images, usually in several sizes.

I think Stampsmith might have also done photo images. I know Hearts in Touch had many of those.

Yes, she did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2021, 04:58 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
Scrapjanny ... Auntie Amy's Embossing Arts? I think I Brake For Stamps bought their line but I can no longer find a website for I brake.
I messaged Della a few months ago... she is looking for a buyer for the business. She's dealing with burnout and her mom is not doing well. She does have the Embossing Arts line as well as Rubber Romance and some others.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I've been buying older stamps lately and I'm so much more drawn to their originality and art style, as well as some specific artists.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I really enjoyed Cornish Heritage Farms! Julie Stainton designed a couple of stamp sets for them.
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2021, 05:59 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I have been stamping for over 20 years and still have the stamps I bought way back them. I use them all the time! I buy very few stamps these days. Most recently (except for an SU set), were some Penny Black. I have many of the old Penny Black, too. They are timeless. Just made a card using raffia and mulberry paper and it reminded me of the old days when everyone cut out images and tore paper. I'm going to make a card today that uses eyelets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2021, 06:46 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I've been buying older stamps lately and I'm so much more drawn to their originality and art style, as well as some specific artists.
I agree with you and I'm doing the same when it comes to purchasing stamps lately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

Kazeka and I are planning on having an Oldies but Goodies Month (using stamps designed before 2000) as one of our unofficial challenges. I think since this post is getting lots of response, I’ll make that our plan for March. So, keep an eye out for the post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

How many of you had the original moldable foam blocks that came in a variety or shapes and sizes?
I had to chuckle when I saw Jennifer McGuire and Simon Hurley promoting the moldable foam blocks. I have those! They must be 15 yrs old but still work.
And, do you remember when "sanding" paper was a trend? I watched JM's video on popped embossing last night using a sanding block on raised impressions...I remember when that was the trend 10-15 yrs ago as well, we just used fine sandpaper on white core cardstock. Do you remember? Now Paper Artsy is coming out with special set of "sanding blocks" for the technique. lol, lol...I already have sanding blocks for my finger nails.
https://youtu.be/GZiWPCZseOM
Reply With Quote Likes