Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default five to ten basic things to learn

How timely I have been approached to teach a class a workshop intro to cardmaking. They have to make two christmas cards in two hours. They will all be beginners and no supplies.

My first step was to make up kits. I also want to give a small intro into the basic supplies they need for starting out. I started out with paper,pencil, ruler and scissors and went from there when I started out, so I figured I would be able to give them a head start from where I began. lol

Cardstock: Two pieces of 110# cardstock so they can feel the difference and show them two basic folds.

Stamps: Show the three types and how to clean. Suggest a good Sentiment to start out with would be "Thinking of you".

Ink: A good black pigment ink for starters

Adhesives: advise on tape and liquid

Scissors: Good pair for only papercrafting

One of the cards being made will use two die cut Christmas Trees with layers, one of which will be cut out of foil paper. I want them to have one pretty card to show how elegant CAS can be and what they can do as they gain more experience and supplies. The second will be simpler possibly on an embossed background to show what embossing folders are all about.

I am hoping to encourage and not over whelm them with the thought that they need so many supplies to get started. I know a bone folder is a basic for example, but not one that is a necessity for starting out.

Last of all I will caution them about being seduced by the 12x12 pads of paper. We all know that after we are gone, our children will find those pads and say" What was mother planning to do with all this paper?".
I would also encourage them to buy a trimmer, as I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got mine after all that measuring and cutting. lol

I hope these basics will encourage them to continue with this wonderful pass time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #42  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many wonderful things to lean. Watch some YouTube, there are so many videos out there that can help you. Find out if their are any stamping clubs in your area or if their is anyone that would like a stamping buddy. Best way to learn is to get a friend that has been designing and creating cards for a long time. If you have a craft store ask at the store if they know anyone or any clubs. Never give up! You can fine sketches on line and make a file and save as and keep them in a file. Always remember you DO NOT NEED EVERYTHING! You need to decide if you like watercolors, color pencils, copic markers, distress markers. Whatever you feel most conformable with that would be the one to go with. Copics are really expensive I would not think you would want to go with those. Find a stamping buddy and they can help you on a one to one and that is the best way to learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
Scissors: Good pair for only papercrafting
Make sure your family knows that they're just for paper or just for fabric! I have many dull fabric scissors that got used for other things. I now buy mainly black handled scissors for paper and pink or orange for fabric/ribbon and if my fabric scissors aren't colored I tie twine on them to let the kids know DON'T USE THESE ON ANYTHING BUT CLOTH!!!!

Another thing I learned way back was to score before cutting so I got two cards scored at one time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

I also keep my scissors out of hubby's hands or he will try to use them to cut twine or whatever . I recently saw that tip of scoring before cutting which I also thought was good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

I also keep my scissors out of hubby's hands or he will try to use them to cut twine or whatever . I recently saw that tip of scoring before cutting which I also thought was good.
Or worse yet, to pry the plastic or foil covering on a cap or lid---ask me how I know! (Hint: the tips were broken off)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Scoring before cutting? On a Score-Pal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Score your paper first on trimmer or whatever, then cut in half.

Instead of cutting out your card first as most of us do, and then scoring. Just reverse the procedure and you only have to score once instead of two individual cards KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Instead of cutting out your card first as most of us do, and then scoring. Just reverse the procedure and you only have to score once instead of two individual cards KWIM?
That only works if your scoring tool is large enough. I have just a Score Buddy, so I do it card by card. Which is OK, as I sometimes use the half pieces for a card mat that covers the entire front of the card. If it has been scored, then it is a bit too small on the measurement that includes the scoring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #49  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

OMG that's genius
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

My trimmer cuts and scores up to 12x12 paper. One trimmer does it all in inches and cms.

It is a Tonic Rotary paper trimmer.i bought it and never entertained idea of a score board....works for me. Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

Can you explain "the rule of thirds" ? That's a term I haven't heard before. Thank you for your help.

Learn about focal points, the rule of thirds and white space. Well on your way now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #52  
Embossing Fanatic

All of these notes are wonderful. I've been stamping for a long time, but I learned a lot of new things. Thanks to everyone for their hints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate ladyView Post
Can you explain "the rule of thirds" ? That's a term I haven't heard before. Thank you for your help.
This might help you. If you google it you'll find LOTS more.

Rule of Thirds in Page Layout and Print Design
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #54  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
5. Give what you want to receive: Set your phone timer for ten minutes each day to give back to the community - comment in the gallery, on social media, hit those like buttons - be the feedback you want to receive. You never know when your comment is just what someone needs to turn their day around.
Thanks for the reminder, Lydia - I really need to remember to do this!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

1. Have fun, this is a hobby that is supposed to give you pleasure!

2. You will make mistakes, necessity is the mother of invention...flowers, gems, sponging, layering, bows...cover up a multitude of oopsies!;) Your recipient does not know you made a mistake

3. It will not always be easy, it will be at times challenging, but equally as rewarding, practice and perseverance are required.

4. Measure, measure, measure, check again and then cut

5. You don't need all the latest stamps, inks, papers, tools and gadgets - what you need is the gift of your time and creativity - most recipients are in awe that you took the time to make them some thing unique.

6. Don't compare and feel you are not worthy...I will never be the best card maker in the world, my stamping may be slightly off, my colouring may go over the edges, my bow may not be tied just 'so', but I did my best, I put in my effort and this is not a competition. There will always be someone who has more talent, more skill, more time, and that is OK.

7. Don't buy every paper pack going on sale, some paper is just plain UGLY even if it was cheap lol!

8. keep something on your desk to wipe your hands, ink, glue, glitter etc gets everywhere and simply wiping your hands every few minutes may help to reduce the frustration of having to fix an oops.

9. Get a good ruler - a metal edged one or a metal one, they are not expensive but will save your sanity on many occasions.

10. reread 1, and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #56  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

7. Don't buy every paper pack going on sale, some paper is just plain UGLY even if it was cheap lol!

This made me laugh. SO true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Default For newbies and oldies...

This is something I like to do when my mojo seems to have gone on vacation, or if I seem to be in a rut. You need a die (from a game, not a cutting die), pen and paper.

On your paper, list the following columns and number from one to six under each one. (The items I'm listing are from my stash, but list whatever stamps, cardstock or ink colors, embellishments and sentiments you have in yours.)

Stamps
1. Painted Flowers (Altenew)
2. Fresh Cut Florals (WPlus9)
3. Turning a New Leaf (PTI)
4. Vintage Linens (PTI)
5. Bowl of Sunshine (PTI)
6. Bitty Bouquets (PTI)

First Color:
1. Berry Sorbet
2. Pure Poppy
3. Lemon Tart
4. Lavender Moon
5. Autumn Rose
6. Winter Wisteria

Second Color:
1. Aqua Mist
2. Simply Chartreuse
3. Spring Rain
4. Soft Stone
5. Enchanted Evening
6. Ripe Avocado

Embellishment:
1. None
2. Brads
3. Sequins
4. Ribbon
5. Buttons
6. Bling (glitter, rhinestones, etc)

Sentiment:
1. Birthday
2. Get Well
3. Thinking of You
4. None
5. Hello
6. I Miss You

Then on a scrap of paper, write 1 through 5. Roll the die. Under #1, write the name of the stamp set that corresponds with the number you just rolled. Roll the die again and under #2, write down the color that corresponds with the number you just rolled. Continue rolling and filling in your list.

Then make a card using all of the items on your scrap paper. Black and white can be added. The colors listed may be ink or cardstock, but incorporate both colors in your card.

One of the things that challenges me, if I don't have a specific project in mind, is choosing what to use for my next card. So if you're feeling overwhelmed or uninspired, give this a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #58  
Proud Fan Club Member

My take on that Linda is to use something I have not before, or something I have too much of like a particular pattern paper, ribbon, glitter glue, etc. Or combine them.

It's like shopping your own stash. Once I get an image from stamp or die that usually drives what the card topic will be.

Sadly I have not had time to do that lately. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
This is something I like to do when my mojo seems to have gone on vacation, or if I seem to be in a rut. You need a die (from a game, not a cutting die), pen and paper.

On your paper, list the following columns and number from one to six under each one. (The items I'm listing are from my stash, but list whatever stamps, cardstock or ink colors, embellishments and sentiments you have in yours.)

Stamps
4. Vintage Linens (PTI)
6. Bitty Bouquets (PTI)

First Color:
1. Berry Sorbet
2. Pure Poppy
3. Lemon Tart
4. Lavender Moon
5. Autumn Rose
6. Winter Wisteria

Second Color:
1. Aqua Mist
2. Simply Chartreuse
3. Spring Rain
4. Soft Stone
5. Enchanted Evening
6. Ripe Avocado

Embellishment:
1. None
2. Brads
3. Sequins
4. Ribbon
5. Buttons

Sentiment:
1. Birthday
2. Get Well
3. Thinking of You
4. None
5. Hello
6. I Miss You

Then on a scrap of paper, write 1 through 5. Roll the die. Under #1, write the name of the stamp set that corresponds with the number you just rolled. Roll the die again and under #2, write down the color that corresponds with the number you just rolled. Continue rolling and filling in your list.

Then make a card using all of the items on your scrap paper. Black and white can be added. The colors listed may be ink or cardstock, but incorporate both colors in your card.

One of the things that challenges me, if I don't have a specific project in mind, is choosing what to use for my next card. So if you're feeling overwhelmed or uninspired, give this a try!
WHAT A COOL IDEA!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #60  

Quote:

Stamps
4. Vintage Linens (PTI)
6. Bitty Bouquets (PTI)

First Color:
1. Berry Sorbet
2. Pure Poppy
3. Lemon Tart
4. Lavender Moon
5. Autumn Rose
6. Winter Wisteria

Second Color:
1. Aqua Mist
2. Simply Chartreuse
3. Spring Rain
4. Soft Stone
5. Enchanted Evening
6. Ripe Avocado

Embellishment:
1. None
2. Brads
3. Sequins
4. Ribbon
5. Buttons

Sentiment:
1. Birthday
2. Get Well
3. Thinking of You
4. None
5. Hello
6. I Miss You

OMG you are a genius!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
6. Don't compare and feel you are not worthy...

8. keep something on your desk to wipe your hands, ink, glue, glitter etc gets everywhere and simply wiping your hands every few minutes may help to reduce the frustration of having to fix an oops.
#6 -- I do this all the time. I rarely post my creations in the gallery--except during the HYCCT challege--because I know my cards don't measure up to the beautiful creations so many others post on this site. But my mother and my 20-something son love my cards and think that I'm creative and talented. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

#8 -- Just tonight I bought a package of baby wipes. I recently had to fix several of those "oops" made on my cards by my inky fingers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

This is brilliant! I think it would make a great game for someone's Stampin' Up party! That's assuming that people still do Stampin' Up parties. Last one I went to was in the 1990s.:shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 07:40 AM   #63  
Proud Fan Club Member

Melissa that sounds like a good idea to me-Linda's plan could really be for any gathering. Everybody brings a couple things for each cat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #64  

Melissa!!! You do beautiful work!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #65  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
#6 -- I do this all the time. I rarely post my creations in the gallery--except during the HYCCT challege--because I know my cards don't measure up to the beautiful creations so many others post on this site. But my mother and my 20-something son love my cards and think that I'm creative and talented. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
I've seen this said numerous times. I encourage everyone to post cards to the gallery. Not only are you recording your card making progression (which is fun to see how far you've come), but you have a record for all the techniques and tutorials you tried. It also helps others - I stop and ask people what die they used, or what ink color that was... I see stuff I want make or new ways to use my dies all the time by combing the gallery. Not to mention, Mojo rejuvinator. I will see a card with DSP that I own (stored and forgot) and it helps my creative juices to see different ways to use it.

But don't load more than 10 cards at a time. Only 10 will get uploaded and the rest get dropped. Ask me how I know this:mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #66  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post

But don't load more than 10 cards at a time. Only 10 will get uploaded and the rest get dropped. Ask me how I know this:mad:
This is not true

We ask that people not "flood" the gallery so that the entire first page of uploads isn't one person's work, but what the gallery moderators do is approve ten at a time, and hold more than that for the next hour.

They are not removed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #67  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
This is not true

We ask that people not "flood" the gallery so that the entire first page of uploads isn't one person's work, but what the gallery moderators do is approve ten at a time, and hold more than that for the next hour.

They are not removed
I understand why it's done that way. Just didn't know it worked that way.

I tend to accumulate then dump, like doing laundry. When I did this to post my cards, I was told only 10 would be posted. Period. I was not told that my pics would be held back and posted later on... Just that only 10 would post. I asked if the rest of the cards would be eliminated (because now I had wasted a lot of time), and was told yes.

Thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #68  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I've enjoyed this thread immensely! It was a bit of a trip down memory lane remembering the many 'wow look at that moments' ...like heat embossing which is still like magic to me. :-) I love the lists I have seen and agree with all of them! Great advice! The only thing I might add is to make some kind of index for your stamps as you start out. I find it invaluable to see the stamped image and check it for size and also know where I stored it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #69  
Proud Fan Club Member

I totally agree with you Ann about the stamp index book. My first teacher told us that and I took it seriously. TG. What a misery it would be to have back up to do now. Saved me from duplicating a LOT of times. Unfortuntely now it is too big to carry to the LSS with me so I have to be very careful there. I can carry the pages with the inks. the glitter, the EP and print out the lists of EFs and dies but that's it.

But I hear for the tech people there is a great program for the phone called....Evernote I think you can use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I encourage everyone to post cards to the gallery. Not only are you recording your card making progression (which is fun to see how far you've come), but you have a record for all the techniques and tutorials you tried. It also helps others
Maybe I should not admit that just last week I gave serious thought to deleting every card I posted for the 2012 HYCCT challenge.:???: I think you're right. It will be good to look back in five years and see how far I've come. I have a few New Year's Craft Goals. I guess I should make one of them to post in the gallery more often.

Lydia, thank you for kind comment about my cards. I know that I'm hardest on myself. I see every little flaw from a slightly crooked sentiment to a marker bleeding outside the line.

And yes, I would encourage every newbie stamper to create a catalog of their stamps and keep it up before their stamp collection grows too big. I found my catalog so helpful when I was looking for stamps to fit the HYCCT challenges. Mine are stamped on cardstock and slipped into photo and baseball card pages, which I put in a large binder. As I get more stamps, I'll probably separate them into three smaller binders so it's not so heavy. I hear good things about Evernote. I may take a look at it but right now, I really enjoy flipping through the pages of my book and seeing the exact size of my stamped images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #71  
Proud Fan Club Member

I agree about seeing the size of the stamp. I have more than one index book.

I just looked in your gallery Melissa....your cards are not just fine-they're good! I dont think mine are as good as yours. I dont have a gallery here, so this might sound hypocritical but I dont post anywhere on the net, not just here.

There are some serious artists here...and some very talented card makers. Rmember some people here are DTs too. I wont ever be as good as them and that's fine. I still love looking at the cards though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #72  

You only need to be as good as you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #73  
Gallery Gazer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having a dedicated space to create is great. You can carve out a space on your kitchen counter or desk, or dining room table, but as your hobby grows be prepared to be creative with storage solutions also.

Protect your workspace. Use a roll of paper, or paper bags, or some sort of ink free paper (not newspaper) to work on. You can practice stamping on it, sketch your layout, make notes etc.

And you know how you're told not to drink your coffee over your computer, well, be mindful where you put your coffee cup/drink when working because there's nothing worse than spending time coloring an image or creating a card and then knocking that bottle of orange soda over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #74  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone on another Forum said she copies most of her cards. I was soooooo relieved because I have been trying to copy Birgit Edblom FOREVER! But there is this to say about that, I never come close to the artistry I'm TRYING to copy, but I at least come close enough that I know it is not some designers' nightmare because I didn't follow some design rule I don't know about. I change some little something that won't matter, usually, but still I copy and that's why I don't have a Blog. I am NOT an artist. But I do love the craft enough to keep at it lo these many years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #75  
Proud Fan Club Member

That was why this was aimed for beginners. Why we talked about learning inks, papers, etc. We went a little ahead...although what is right for one beginner may not be for another. It can be very overwhelming to beginners.

No, there is no punch card you have to get fully punched to be recognized as a stamper. What is great is that there are a) lot of different techniques so if you dont like one it doesnt matter and b) there can be more than one way to get to a place.

ie if you dont like heat embossing but want raised letters there is multi cutting the word and raising it that way, pop dots or paste w stencil for example.

I was in my LSS this week and for the 400th time I heard the same thing. Someone walks about, picks up stamps and then asks for ink-as if there is only one and clearly has no idea about paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #76  

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
Someone on another Forum said she copies most of her cards. I was soooooo relieved because I have been trying to copy Birgit Edblom FOREVER! But there is this to say about that, I never come close to the artistry I'm TRYING to copy, but I at least come close enough that I know it is not some designers' nightmare because I didn't follow some design rule I don't know about. I change some little something that won't matter, usually, but still I copy and that's why I don't have a Blog. I am NOT an artist. But I do love the craft enough to keep at it lo these many years.
She's amazing, isn't she? I love her style - she does so many advanced techniques in those beautiful, small clean spaces. Admire the heck out of her.

Copying is how you hone your skills - doesn't mean you're not an artist. All practice is valuable and cumulative! Enjoy the process!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #77  
Insane Embellisher

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A few things on my list

I was lured into stamping by a friend who did stamp a stacks. A few things I was happy to learn:
1. It's just paper. It has a second side.
2. If you put a layer on upside down, a length of dental floss slid between the layers will lift it right off. Usually with no tears or crinkles.
3. Tap the stamp on the ink pad don't smash it into the ink.
3a. Keep the ink pad inked with reinkers so you don't feel like you need to smash the stamp to get enough ink on it.
4. When cutting or scoring paper, be sure you hold the paper tight against the top and side so it's straight.
5. Try different kinds of paper cutters before you buy one.
6. A scorer is a wonderful thing.
7. Stamp with friends, if you get stuck stampers love to share ideas, supplies, techniques and above all chocolate!

I am forever greatful to my friend for walking me through all my mishaps and adventures as I learned this hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #78  

Love #7
Reply With Quote Likes