Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 157 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Favorite Older Stampin Up Sets

I tried to see if this question has been asked a lot on here before and I couldn't find it (but I suck at the search on this site) and at least it didn't seem like it recently. So I'm asking...

As I mentioned in another thread, I have a lot of older sets I still love and use, and lately have discovered that it's pretty cheap to acquire some of the ones I coveted back in the day but couldn't buy at the time. Most of the ones I've been eyeballing (or purchasing) are from the 2001-2008 or so era, though I'm also picking up some of the inexpensive sets from the 2010s that appeal.

So I thought I would ask, what's a set you have that is old (pre 2010) and that you still love and use frequently, that has a very classic look and doesn't feel dated?

What's one that others might find kinda dated but you still like?

And what's one in your collection that feels extremely dated, you don't know what to do with these days, but you haven't gotten rid of for whatever reason?

I'll answer my own questions...

--Oldest set I still use often is Christmas Peace, which has a 1995 copyright but was sold for years and years after that. I have used all the pieces in recent years at one point or another but I find myself using the "peace joy love" sentiment every single Christmas.

Other sets I still use very regularly and think are classic -- Hello Spring (every spring/Easter, all pieces but especially the sentiment and the bunny); Wonderful Woodcuts and All I Have Seen (just feel timeless)

Kinda dated but I still like and use frequently: Petal Pizazz (though I wish this one had dies, I'd use it a lot more if I didn't have to fussy cut everything!); Alphabet Soup; Steppin Style. And Funky Favorites is a set that feels right on the edge of too dated even for me, but I still kinda love.

Too Dated and I'm trying to figure out if I can salvage: Fabulous Four; Painted Garden; Gladsome Garden; Bold and Bright...

Also, as I was going through all my sets and organizing, I found a few that have been languishing because they felt too old and dated, but I want to try using again and see if I can freshen them up -- Mini Mates, Occasionally, Nice and Easy Notes...

I also really enjoy looking at the Stampin Up galleries and seeing the dates on the most recent posts featuring old sets, to see what updated things people have been doing with them. I get a little sad when the last person to post a card using a set was me, in 2017....

Anyone else?

Colleen

Last edited by Katchoo1; 02-18-2022 at 10:01 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Katchoo1:
grateful2bsaved (02-24-2022), pepperann (02-19-2022), shirlb19 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I don’t know if I have a personal favorite but I do see how most of the “new sets” look exactly like something I have from 5-10-15 years ago. Really glad I saved all of those sets! Time to pull them out and reuse vs. buying new.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by stampwithjoanne:
Alice in Md (02-20-2022), gaylestamps (02-18-2022), shirlb19 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I would feel a lot are slightly dated but it depends on your style.
Old favourites I still love using - Roses in Winter, Playful Petals I like for doing DIY DP backgrounds (like thisL WT648 Playful Petals Fun by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers), Fishy Friends, Peaceful Wishes

Dated and I use regularly - Carte Postale, the elements in it are great.

Dated and I hold onto it because it's probably one of the first sets I bought, but I can't remember when I last used it - Pick a Petal. I'm sure I can do something with it, just don't have enough time these days. I feel that Sincere Salutations is dated but I see someone using it regularly and she makes it look fresh, so I need to revisit that.

Nice and Easy Notes - I purged some, but every time I use the mouse, people comment on it. I use the pill bottle for challenges probably every other year. You can definitely do plenty with that!

Just a thought on why you might not see more recent uploads to set galleries - the problem is that many people don't bother uploading to them (or the technique galleries), they just default to their member gallery. I find it sad, because I too like using them as a resource. I often used to set a gallery running as a slideshow while listening to something in bed. Going to the gallery is so much more specific than typing in a keyword which will bring up a gazillion other things too. On the whole (with some notable exceptions, it has to be said) the best people for uploading to set galleries are demos, and they tend to be mostly uploading to current sets. I always say it's like going to a library and being able to go straight to the shelf and pick what you want. And if people haven't even listed the set in keywords and just say SU stamps, then you're never going to find it no matter how long you search. I'll step down from my soapbox now .
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Cook22:
gaylestamps (02-18-2022), JoBear2 (03-16-2022), shirlb19 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Oooh Pick a Petal has potential, I kinda like it. But like I said, I'm obsessed with geometrical stuff lately so I immediately started thinking in terms of using the images as shapes rather than as flowers. Sincere Salutations is pretty classic -- both fonts are timeless and they go together well.

YES on Nice and Easy Notes - I use the mouse most of all too, it's a great image.

One thing that has been helping me see more potential in these older sets is that I have been making a lot of cards for seniors in homes the last few months. They don't care about trendy or dated, so it's fun to break out older stuff to make cards that still look good even if someone more on trend would find them hokey. Also, I was always a "I don't like cute" kinda stamper but so many of these older ladies like teddy bears and angels and that kind of thing, and it's kind of freed me up to play with that a little. And of course, the older cutesy sets are some of the cheapest to buy used!

The one dated thing from the late 90s/early 2000s I just can't do is the primitive country look with the fake stitching and squiggly/scratchy lines and the stripes and long stars and hearts...didn't like it then and like it even less now!

Thanks for the tips on the SU galleries. I always feel a little guilty sticking a card in there when I just use a generic sentiment from the set or something, but I won't now! At least I'm using them!

Do you know if they ever go back and add galleries for old stamp sets? I was trying to set up a pinterest board for each set I own and I couldn't find galleries for a couple of my sets, but they are late 90s sets and predate the board so maybe that's why.

Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
One4Joy (02-19-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #5  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katchoo1View Post
Do you know if they ever go back and add galleries for old stamp sets? I was trying to set up a pinterest board for each set I own and I couldn't find galleries for a couple of my sets, but they are late 90s sets and predate the board so maybe that's why.

Colleen
There has to be a certain number of uploads in the gallery before a new category would be created for older sets. Offhand I can't remember how many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2022, 02:57 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

One of my favorites is 2003's Sketches. Another would be 2006's Peaceful Wishes. I still use images from these sets to this day.
Reply With Quote Likes
gaylestamps (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I grinned and grinned over the nope not the country scratchy stitched ones... hahaha...
( I think my most favorite used old one is French Script background) but, I do love the really country/quilted/patchwork stitched ones. ( I need to dig them out more often)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by JBgreendawn:
gaylestamps (02-18-2022), Paula in GA (02-19-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

ha! There is something for everyone out there for sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I grinned and grinned over the nope not the country scratchy stitched ones... hahaha...
( I think my most favorite used old one is French Script background) but, I do love the really country/quilted/patchwork stitched ones. ( I need to dig them out more often)
Reply With Quote Likes
JBgreendawn (02-18-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 12:57 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

All my sets are older sets, lol.
-KnobblyGnomes is my favorite.
-French Script
-Flight of the Butterfly- I used that one last night. The punch is one of my favorites. I would be lost without it. My set is in French.
-StinkinCute- Absolute love!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2022, 03:49 AM   #10  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

French Script, yes. Most of the backgrounders, in fact, but I didn't want to get into a long list . I use them more unmounted, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Talking Three Old Sets!

Three wood "old sets" I still use are Lovely As A Tree and Terrific Tulips-2001 and Sassy Salutations-2013. Newer and similar ones are available, but I still love using wood stamps.

Last edited by Rebali; 02-19-2022 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: correct typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

what's a set you have that is old (pre 2010) and that you still love and use frequently, that has a very classic look and doesn't feel dated?
French Script

Polka Dots and Paisley

And what's one in your collection that feels extremely dated, you don't know what to do with these days, but you haven't gotten rid of for whatever reason?
I can't think of any sets I own that seem extremely dated, even though I have a few that go back to 2001. I tend to see things as a "style", though, and not as being trendy or out of date so it'd be difficult for me to truly see something as dated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Lovely as a Tree is old but will always be in style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2022, 07:18 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
what's a set you have that is old (pre 2010) and that you still love and use frequently, that has a very classic look and doesn't feel dated?
French Script

Polka Dots and Paisley

I can't think of any sets I own that seem extremely dated, even though I have a few that go back to 2001. I tend to see things as a "style", though, and not as being trendy or out of date so it'd be difficult for me to truly see something as dated.
That's easy...The Wildlife, Lovely as a TRee, The authentic Baseball set, Wild West, Serengeti are the ones that first pop into my head.......Will not weed them from my collection ever.....

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Lovely As A Tree for me too. Second set I bought and is timeless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2022, 02:50 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I am using Nice and Easy Notes right now to make card kits!

Hello Spring gets used every year in my house too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2022, 08:17 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 316 Likes on 202 Posts

*what is a set you have that is old (pre 2010) and that you still love & use frequently, that has a very classy look and does not feel dated?

I have to say the ALL YEAR CHEER stamp sets from 2003. It actually is 3 sets (I, II & III) for a total of 36 stamps with a combination of typed and scripted sentiments in every size and for every occasion. I use it so often that I just reach for it without looking - because there it is right there LOL.

*what is one that others might find kinda dated but you still like?

Probably OUT WEST from 2010. The hat and boot get more use, as the cowboy is admittedly hokey - so that one is usually made into a silhouette with a black Sharpie.

*what is one in your collection that feels extremely dated, you do not know what to do with these days, but you have not gotten rid of for whatever reason?

I last used THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS (2009) in January 2018, because I have other great Get Well/ Sympathy stamps. However, I know in my heart that the minute I let it go I will NEED it!
Reply With Quote Likes