Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ever feel discouraged with tons of views but few comments?

I'm just wondering if it is normal to have 400+ views on a card... or multiple cards, and have no more than 22 comments on any single card... yes, that is my top. I sign in and sometimes feel discouraged that many people have viewed my cards, but they haven't left a comment. I try to comment on every card I view, and maybe I'm the odd one out, but do you ever feel this way? If so, how do you over come it? what have you done to change it? Thanks for letting me vent a little. I feel better now... kinda...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I'm with you. I log on hoping to see some comment, but, alas, there aren't any, and I too try to comment. So, I feel you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

ok, I admit, that I was having a hard time feeling sorry for you if you were getting 22 comments! hehe (obviously, that is a VERY rare happening in my gallery!)

I try to view the viewings as "Well, they were intrigued enough to take a closer look." s
Sometimes I get more "favs" than comments, which I take as a compliment.

Personally, if a card catches my eye enough to want a closer look, than I ALWAYS try to leave a comment. And I admit that I don't look through specific "challenge" galleries. Rather, I just look through "today's additions" and comment on the cards that catch my eye. It seems to me that challenge cards get more love, so I try to spread some comments to those cards that might not get a look but certainly deserve it!!
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes I feel the same way. Makes me think, why bother posting photos of my cards at all, KWIM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

First, you have some wonderful cards in your gallery! And 22 comments is great. I have some cards in my gallery that have 1400+ views but fewer than 10 comments. (And it's funny, but it seems like the more I like one of the cards I post, the fewer comments it seems to get.) Oh, well.

But I agree that it can be frustrating to get a lot of views and few comments. I know I don't comment on every card I view, but when I go to someone's gallery I do try to pick out a card/item that has no or few comments to leave my comment. I also try to remember that there are what, hundreds, of uploads every day, and it's impossible to comment on or even see all of them. But keep posting your creations -- you never know who'll you'll inspire!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Awww, thanks for listening to my rant everyone. Yes, I understand there are thousands of members who upload every day, so yes, I get it that sometimes comments just aren't going to happen. Thank you all for the comment love in my gallery, I will surely return the favors. I too find that the challenge cards seem to get the most love, and I noticed there is an elite group of SCS members who rack up the comments daily. Maybe we aren't popular enough yet... IDK... But I am glad I'm not alone in this. P.S. and 22 was my top number of comments... and I was so excited to see that...let me tell ya! Thanks ladies. off to create more for my comment light gallery in hopes of hitting the comment lotto tomorrow. Comments make me smile... (but first, to return all that comment love)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

22 comments is wonderful! I uploaded 3 cards today. Got a total od 220 views with a total of 6 comments.

There have been many threads regarding, views to comments or being favorite with no comments. It seems that people just don't have time to comment when there are way over 1000 uploads per day.

Yes, I try to comment on cards that I view. There has been times that I favorite without commenting cause I was just plain tired, just crusin the gallery.

I really would not worry to much, the only way I get 22 comments on a card is if I play in the comment thread. You much be real good to get that many comments on a card in one day!! I am off to go take a look at your gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

You have a beautiful gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it is discouraging. And even when I try to convince myself that it is busy, etc etc, I still am human enough to want validation!

One of my latest cards got 660 views and 49 favorites. 49! And only 13 comments. That drove me to add a line in my signature line. Have a look at it. If I favorite, I comment. Without fail. It only takes a few seconds.

ETA: most of my cards get 4-6 comments, and usually they are people who 'know' me. I agree that if you have a bigger name or notoriety, you get more traffic. It just is clear that it happens that way.

Last edited by cardmaker2; 05-24-2010 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

You get way more comments than I ever do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Wow. Feeling obligated to post a comment on every card that I take a look at in this massive SCS gallery is going to take a lot of the fun out of browsing through all the wonderful creations.

"Geez, thanks for the compliment on my new dress, but if you're going to bother complimenting me, can't you please tell me EXACTLY why you think it looks good on me?" You ARE being complimented when someone views and favorites, isn't it enough?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I think the general concensus here is that there is no balance to the amount of views and comments. It is not that I feel everyone should comment on every card, but I know I like the comments and am pretty sure everyone here signed up for that same sense of encouragement the comments deliver. Yes, commenting on all those cards would be a literal nightmare, but doesn't it make you feel good when someone comments on your cards when they are viewing them? Your right about the compliment though, we should all take the views and favorites as compliments even though the other SCS member may be in too much of a hurry to leave a little love. I wasn't looking to make people feel obligated to post comments in my gallery or go out of their way to post in others galleries, I just wanted to see if the way I was feeling was felt by others. Thanks for your input and like I said, you make some great points. Thanks for participating even though you don't agree with the general consensus of this thread. I appreciate your input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenakeeView Post
Wow. Feeling obligated to post a comment on every card that I take a look at in this massive SCS gallery is going to take a lot of the fun out of browsing through all the wonderful creations.

"Geez, thanks for the compliment on my new dress, but if you're going to bother complimenting me, can't you please tell me EXACTLY why you think it looks good on me?" You ARE being complimented when someone views and favorites, isn't it enough?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to agree with Tenakee on this one. When I look through the gallery, I don't click on every card, only those that catch my eye. So I hope that the increased views would be taken as a compliment. However, I always try to leave a comment on a card if I favorite it.

BTW, I have seen this subject come up time and time again on here and the response if usually 50/50 on both sides.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Yes, it is discouraging. And even when I try to convince myself that it is busy, etc etc, I still am human enough to want validation!

One of my latest cards got 660 views and 49 favorites. 49! And only 13 comments. That drove me to add a line in my signature line. Have a look at it. If I favorite, I comment. Without fail. It only takes a few seconds.

ETA: most of my cards get 4-6 comments, and usually they are people who 'know' me. I agree that if you have a bigger name or notoriety, you get more traffic. It just is clear that it happens that way.
I follow this rule also. If I am that inspired by someone's work, I tell them so, in writing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I post my cards on here to share ideas and inspiration,not to fish for compliments. I don't need to be told " hey gorgeous card". i know when i've made a great card and i also know when i've made a bad one. I don't even read the comments half the time and as for how many people have favourited, i haven't a clue. The only thing i look at is how many people have gone for a closer look. That's compliment enough for me. If you look at or favourite any of my cards i'd hate you to feel obliged to make payment by way of a comment. I don't think this has anything to do with manners either, time is the issue here.We all want to go and make cards don't we?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alot of SCSers will not comment on cards.
Alot of SCSers will not comment on cards that have no info about the card.
Alot of SCSers only comment when they have time.
Alot of SCSers will only favorite a card.

It really depends on the person looking at the card. Please do not feel discouraged.
I never bothers me when a card of mine has no comments. I do feel when it is favorited though. That is what matters to me.
AND What I really appreciate is some actually just looking at the card. For this you know they were interested to actually click on your card for a closer look!

I am one that does not comment on every card in the Gallery. The times I do is when I play the Gallery Comments Game
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandmadebymeView Post
I'm just wondering if it is normal to have 400+ views on a card... or multiple cards, and have no more than 22 comments on any single card... yes, that is my top. I sign in and sometimes feel discouraged that many people have viewed my cards, but they haven't left a comment. I try to comment on every card I view, and maybe I'm the odd one out, but do you ever feel this way? If so, how do you over come it? what have you done to change it? Thanks for letting me vent a little. I feel better now... kinda...
The last card I uploaded has 291 views...one comment and 4 favs. I know how you feel I've felt the same way. I find I only get a good amount of comments on here if I upload to an scs challenge. Just keep uploading though, do it for you... those that clicked on your card obviously wanted to see it closer so take that as encouragement And 22 comments on a card is really fantastic considering alot only get a few comments.

Last edited by stampnangel; 05-25-2010 at 03:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

[quote=star;16741223]ok, I admit, that I was having a hard time feeling sorry for you if you were getting 22 comments! hehe (obviously, that is a VERY rare happening in my gallery!)quote]

sometimes I'll view a card only to get a better look at it and then don't leave a comment. sorry :>)

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one of those that doesn't comment a lot simply because of the time involved. Anymore, I don't even get to that chance to look through an entire day's submissions each day. The last time I got to do that was about a month ago. I don't even get to spend much time looking in the forums anymore. For me, just clicking on the photo to get a better look is a big deal. If I like it enough to want to go back to it, then I'll favorite it (although the search in My Favorites still isn't working for me, so I can't even search for it later on). I'll sometimes comment on something I don't favorite just because something really impresses me or catches my attention, but even then I don't always have the time. I wish there was enough time to comment on all those I want to, but the number of submissions anymore is huge and there are so many quality ones that it's impossible to comment on all of them unless I didn't accomplish anything else in my day but comment to SCS photos. I know some would love comments on more, but try to be happy that someone took the time to even view it more closely. For some of us, even doing that is a big deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 05:08 AM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

It has never bothered me no one comments, I have gotten a lot of views. I just like doing the challenges. I was commenting on 40 cards a week not one had the decency to comment back . O well what do you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I have noticed the "reverse effect" too. More comments, less views or faves. More views or faves, less comments. Just the way it seems to be.

BUT...SCS has almost 257,000 members with over 87,000 active members, and less than 27,000 of these have galleries. People use this awesome site in many different ways. And not very many of these wonderful members are as obsessed as me! I know of some who don't even know that you can make comments on cards that are posted...and some who don't know how!

SO...I feel blessed if I have views on my creations.
...I feel blessed if someone puts something in their favorites.
...And I feel blessed to have people comment on my creations.
I don't want to put conditions or obligations on anyone. With more that 700, and oftentimes well over 1000, posts per day, I realize that not everyone can always meet any conditions.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

The most comments I have ever received was 22 and I have to say that felt really good. I do not tend to comment very often on cards, but recently I joined the gallery comments thread and have started making a point of commenting on at least 5 cards a day. It has been a lot of fun looking for my 5 favorites every day and I plan on continuing to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have more important things to be concerned about I guess. I do love comments..some ladies here are sooo sweet...but I dont give it a second thought if there are no comments or favs on my cards...blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

I feel the same way (loves comment, hate seeing no comments and lots of views), but you have to like what you create. I try to comment on cards I like, but life happens. You can't live online. Affirmation that you created something that someone likes or comments on is wonderful, but if we always need that maybe we should be doing something else with our time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I feel the same way, I too try to comment on the cards that I see. Its sad that some people can't take the time to acknowledge if they like what they see. Or is that they just don't like what they see? Very discouraging. Thanks for this thread by the way!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I'm just wondering if it is normal to have 400+ views on a card... or multiple cards, and have no more than 22 comments on any single card... yes, that is my top.
I think 22 is a lot !! I'd say most of my cards get an average of anywhere from 3-8 comments - sometimes a few more but nothing staggering! and yes, sometimes you start to wonder if the cards are just not cute enough, but the truth is if you manage to inspire just ONE person, it's all worth it and well, as long as you love sharing you should keep doing it!! Sharing is also a great way for you to see how much your own work and your style evolves too, so keep doing it, and don't worry too much on the rest! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

This is a subject that comes up regularly
My feelings - I don't feel I *owe* a comment in return for one received, but if someone whose name I don't recognize leaves I comment, I'll certainly take a look at their gallery, and comment if something grabs me.
Do I like getting comments - yes, of course. Do I post my cards to get comments - not really, it's more as a record of what I've done, and because I play along in a lot of the challenges.
Do challenge cards get more comments - pretty much definitely, I'd say, but that's partly because there's a great camaraderie between the people who participate in them.
Comments/views/favourites - they all mean someone has looked at your card. Some of my most favourited cards have very few comments, there's no correlation between the two. But if I favourite a card myself, I will almost always leave a comment to say so, and say what I liked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

What a great discussion everyone. I really appreciate everyone's input and opinion. No harsh things were said and we stayed on subject. Nicely done! Through reading this thread, I see everyone has their own way of using SCS, and not everyone uses the site as I do. With that being said, in the future I will certainly be more proud of the number of "hits" each card receives, but knowing I am satisfied with my creation is worth more. I'm glad to see that even in those who have been on this site for years, with hundreds of uploads, those that have little time, those that have tons of time, that even you feel good when the comment is there. I make every attempt to return all comments I receive. I have the time and availability to online access, and I will continue to use this site this way. I just have to be happy with how I want to play... Thank you for taking the time to leave a little of yourself here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

That's all that matters is that YOU like it. The views should tell us someone liked it enuf to take a closer look *never thought of it that way* I, too, have gained insight and am thankful for all the above mentioned thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If that kind of experience were to bother me, I'm sure I would never upload to SCS again, LOL!!

I have several cards with over 1000 views and 2 or 3 comments. The most I have is 33 comments on one card, and the rest of my cards have 16 or less comments. I'd say 400 views and 22 comments is pretty favorable!

There are so many cards being uploaded every day that the views, comments, and favorites are not anywhere near where they were even just a couple of years ago.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I think it's fun to see the views, and if someone favorites a card or takes the time to comment, it's a nice pat on the back.

If you really like comments, then you can do some challenges ~ fellow challengers tend to comment regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Smile No Comments - No problem!

Nope - it doesn't bother me in the least that most of my pictures have no comments and the others only 1 or 2 - but I love seeing the amount of views each project/card gets and the number of times it is been put into someones fav folder! I think of it this way - seeing the view numbers - at least they are looking and not everything will be liked by everyone! I post my pictures so others can see what I make - I don't post them to get compliments - not that compliments aren't nice to receive but if I based posting them to get compliments - I mine as well not post them -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm one that's guilty of favoriting and not always commenting. But for me, it's a time issue, plain and simple. If I commented on every card I liked, I wouldn't have time to make any myself. So I see getting favorites more of a compliment than comments.

Of course I would like to see more comments left on my cards, but given the amount of uploading traffic this site gets, I know it's not possible. I do have to say, however, that I would be thrilled to get 22 comments on a card. I think the most I have is 10. I don't do challenges any more, and I haven't been involved in the comments thread either. Maybe I need to reach out more.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

I have just recently noticed how to leave a message and that I could do that. Some of us may not be very computer confident. In fact, I really didn't know about leaving a message until I read about it in an earlier forum. I have been trying to do that now, when I take a closer look.

I, also, mainly look at the daily additions and have never commented on any challenges because I don't go there often.

When I favorite a card, does it count as a "view" each time I look at it again?

Thank you to all of you who post your cards, you have inspired me like nothing else. When I first began this hobby by the encouragement of my daughter, I felt I had to copy every card I made. After spending time on this site, seeing all the beautiful creations, I have created cards without trying to make an exact match. I didn't know I could so thank you all again. I have always liked to write letters and now it is even more fun. You ladies here are the best and I wish you were all living in my neighborhood!!

Sincerely,
Deanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #34  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

What I find is if I leave a comment then for what ever reason I'm stuck on that person's card in their gallery. The only way I can get out is to hit my subscriptions and start from square one. Not sure why but it sure doesn't make leaving a comment pleasant, takes to long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

This is to prairiejen: The same thing was happening to me and it took alot of time to leave a comment or fav it. I read on one of the forums to click the back arrow at the top left corner twice right after you click the fav or comment and it takes me back to the page of cards I was looking at. See if that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiejenView Post
What I find is if I leave a comment then for what ever reason I'm stuck on that person's card in their gallery. The only way I can get out is to hit my subscriptions and start from square one. Not sure why but it sure doesn't make leaving a comment pleasant, takes to long.
For a "quickie" way to comment I find two different things work really well:

One: whenever you click on a person's card to open it, hold down the shift button when you click. It will open their card in another window. Make your comment in the "quick reply" at the bottom of the page, and click on "submit". When the purple page comes up to say your comment was successful, then close that window. You still have the gallery window open on your desktop. This is the quickest way.

Two: click on the person's card to open it (without the shift button, so that it opens in the same window). Make your comment in the "quick reply" at the bottom of the page, and click on "submit". When the purple page comes up to say your comment was successful, then click on your browser "back" button TWICE to go back to the gallery. If you aren't quick enough (you have a few seconds) then when the card comes back on, use the "back" button THREE TIMES to get back to the gallery. This is the method I usually use, because I always forget to use the "shift" button!

You shouldn't ever have to start all over...man, that would be annoying! ;)

BTW I am using IE or Safari. Don't know if this works this way on other browsers.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Red face

Quote:

If you hold down the shift key and click on the thumbnail (small picture) a new window opens and you comment there and then close the window and you're right back to where you left off.

This makes all the difference.

Pat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #38  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Fabulous, I'm going to go try this right now.
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 83 Likes on 32 Posts

I used to let it bother me, but I've learned to let it not. I am also guilty of favoriting something and not leave a comment, but I've been working hard to not do that. There is just so much out there that is so DANG GOOD!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Right click-open new tab
leave comment
x out
right back were you started
Easy Easy Easy
Reply With Quote Likes