Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Etiquette for challenge entries

Lately I've been trying to expand my creativity by doing challenges. I appreciate the time and effort that goes into hosting, creating samples, and in some cases, even offering prizes. As such, I try to follow the rules as they are outlined by each hostess.

In addition, I try to make a unique card for each challenge. Occasionally, I will combine 2, say a sketch and a color challenge, but never more than that. I use the sponsoring company's stamps, even if they don't require it. I don't have a blog but I post my cards here on SCS, with as much information as I can as well as a link to the challenge. If I dont have time for a particular challenge or the right stamps I will leave it until the next time. If I win the challenge it's a bonus, I enter to spark creativity, not for accolades, although they are nice ;).

I have noticed though, that not all the challenge entrants do the same. Some are extremely loose with the challenge requirements, for example, a card that supposed to have "dots and spots" has one brad. Some are entered in 10 or more challenges. Some are very sketchy with the card details, even on a blog post (say a pic of the card and then a list of challenges it is entered in, no other info).

My question is, am I over thinking this? I respect that some people bend the rules because they don't have access to or can't afford the specific supplies. A person can do the challenge though, on their own, and not actually enter it, if it doesn't fit the challenge parameters.

Thoughts?

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Mini Nov 7, Main Dec 12 & 13.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

My thoughts is that there is a blog that lists challenges for that day/week I forget which and can't find the link to the one I know about ATM and that people use that rather than the challenge host requirements to enter as many challenges as possible to win as much as possible.

For example, I like and have High Hopes Stamps. They run a challenge on their blog and I can tell you that quite often about 80% of the entries don't qualify for the prize. Because they didn't use their stamps.

Personally I think it is really disrespectful and feel so sorry for the challenge hosts who has gone to all the trouble to arrange it to have to pick through entries that actually followed the rules.

Also, I will say I follow a blog where a person has been compensated to promote a certain company with product and will still use those posts to enter challenges normally at least 5 for the post. I find that a bit too much myself. I think she is very talented but I rarely read her blog because it basically just lists product and challenges entered, the pictures of her cards come up on my feedly so that works for me.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 07-27-2014 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I could not agree more that it's disrespectful to those hosting the challenges. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never entered, actually I dont even have a card blog at the moment so I just check it all out for ideas and hope oneday I will have the time to post and share. BUT I can totally see where you are coming from. I am amazed sometimes with the loose interpretation of the challenge by some people. I will see cards with totally wrong colours in a colour challange or wrong layout etc. it just amazes me. I can understand entering your card in a few challenges but I reckon people need to read the rules more carefully and not make it harder for the person running the challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I quite often combine SCS challenges with company ones, but I don't think I've ever entered a card for more than one company challenge at a time. I know some challenges request that a card be submitted for no more than X number of other challenges.
My personal (and I'm stressing personal) take is that I make a card for a challenge; I don't make a card and then find challenges it will fit. Like you, I am using the challenge to spark my creativity. I love it when I win because a gift cert usually covers international postage and means I can order when otherwise I might not have been able to fit it in my budget at the time, but it's certainly not my prime motivation.

As a hostess for some of the challenges here - thank you SO much for your appreciation of the time and effort hostesses put in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
My personal (and I'm stressing personal) take is that I make a card for a challenge; I don't make a card and then find challenges it will fit.
Lots of people do though - sometimes to be in with a chance of winning if there are prizes on offer but often, I suspect, to drive more traffic to their blogs. I think the most I've seen is something like 26 challenges for one card! When a chunk of those are "anything goes" challenges, it's fairly clear that the card maker has trawled for "suitable" challenges to list with something that may (or may not) have been prompted by one or two challenges. Even if it's only the challenge hostesses who visit (rather than other challenge players) you've generated extra visits and extra comments for your card.

I don't think you're overthinking it Adelle, I think you're taking the attitude that a challenge is a prompt or kickstart when you make something. Personally, I'm in the same camp and applaud your thinking and your appreciation of challenge hostesses, many of whom do a fantastic job of commenting on entries to their challenges as well as coming up with ideas and samples on a regular basis.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
a blog that lists challenges for that day/week I forget which and can't find the link to the one I know about ATM and that people use that rather than the challenge host requirements to enter as many challenges as possible to win as much as possible.
;)

Compiled challenges list by llevans at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't participated in a challenge in a very long time, but I have to say that it really kind of bothered me when people didn't follow the rules or the spirit of the challenge. I guess I'm a real stickler for rules.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

No, you're not overthinking it, Adelle. The word 'challenge' pretty much speaks for itself, lol. How are they being challenged, if they aren't sticking to the guidelines? I too see cards entered for many, many challenges at the same time, and cards that only seem to fit the challenge by being a card, lol. It must make it hard work for the host to sort, I do agree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Lots of people do though - sometimes to be in with a chance of winning if there are prizes on offer but often, I suspect, to drive more traffic to their blogs. I think the most I've seen is something like 26 challenges for one card! ...
I have seen a LOT more than that - I can't remember the exact figure but it was over 70. It takes all sorts to make the world, so I tell myself. I just have to be me. I hadn't thought about the blog aspect! You can tell that blog traffic doesn't bother me in the slightest since I don't even have a link to my blog in my signature, LOL, and just upload cards here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

As someone who hosts a challenge, I love this thread. It makes my heart go all a flutter that you are so considerate of the host.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me when people enter lots of challenges because I just do this for giggles and grins. I love looking at everyone's creations - the more the merrier.

It's another story, though, when it comes to picking a winner. I pick winner(s) who become guest designers for the next challenge. When I read a blog (or gallery) post that says my challenge inspired them to create their card it most definitely pulls at my heart strings. Assuming their card is well constructed and photographed and they included the required link back to my challenge, it is much more likely to be selected than a card that just lists my challenge among 20+ other challenges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Also, I will say I follow a blog where a person has been compensated to promote a certain company with product and will still use those posts to enter challenges normally at least 5 for the post.
I just wanted to add that I've designed for several companies. Some of those companies encouraged their designers to post onto multiple challenges - except possibly for challenges run by a competitor. The more challenges the designers enter the more traffic it draws to their blog and hence to the company. So it's all good at least from the companies' points of view.

Thanks for starting such a thoughtful thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you, ladies, for your thoughts. I will keep going as I have been, creating unique cards that fit the challenge, and not worry too much about those who color outside the lines. I can only be responsible for my own actions. I will change one thing though, I will make sure to give the hostesses more love in the future.

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't believe your are overthinking anything. You are being considerate of your hostest (your mama would be proud!!)

Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts

Aloha All.... This is a very good and considerate post and a good reminder of the wonderful work of what great people we have within our SCS family and though they get thanked from time to time we could never thank them enough. I'm new and discovered & guilty of entering challenges.. and more then 1 card at a time in same category...I do my best to follow what is asked... maybe i'm guilty of coloring outside of the line i'm not sure and I don't want to make more job for the hostess and i'm ok with if it don't fit that it be deleted...I entered because it was inspiring and it made me want to create more so that in it self is reward and not to mention how much fun it was to be so inspired being new to stamping....So if I have gone outside the box please forgive me I truly didn't intend to disrespect anyone and least of all the awesome hostesses that go the extra mile for us.... I love this post because it gives me time to think maybe I been getting carried away ... truly humbling post here mahalo Ms. Adelle and more then that I'de truly like to take this time to give a special Much Aloha to all the wonderful hostesses!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 02:55 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think you are over-thinking it either. As a previous design team leader, member and challenge team member it is definitely frustrating to visit an entry and realize they have not followed the challenge OR to click the link and it just links to their blog and we had to hunt around for the actual entry. There were a couple of times we couldn't even find the entry.

Your other topic, entering multiple challenges, I am guilty of that one and I know there are 2 distinct camps - 1 for it and 1 very against it. I do it because I enjoy the personal challenge of how many can I do (well I haven't been doing any for a long time but when I did challenges and I did it just yesterday!) It's like a little game I play with myself and I used to follow the Pile It On blog quite faithfully. I will say that I find the challenges first and then create for them rather than finding them afterward. I had never thought of it from the perspective of unfairly getting lots of chances to win the prize as I never do it for the prize. I never even go back to see if I won but it is a good way to get blog traffic. Not that my blog has much of any traffic that I can tell - you get more traffic as a team member it seems.

All that being said I would say do your own thing and don't worry about how other people do it though! Just have fun - after all this is just crafting not anything serious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 03:10 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't think that you're overthinking it, either. Joanne's (Angelnorth) post is spot-on as to how I feel. I used to have a challenge blog and I had a few occasions where my challenge was on a long list and there was nothing on the card to suggest that the participant had even read the challenge. I agree with StickUps as far as "the more the merrier", but it made it very difficult to know what to say in my comments...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahh, but figuring out how to create a card that incorporates 10 challenges is different than making a card and then going to find challenges that it sort-of fits. And some of those are a lot of fun to check out.

It's taking a card you've already made, or made for one challenge and then going out to find any challenge that it might fit, no matter how vaguely, that's kind of inconsiderate. And when you go to the blog, there's no story of how the card came to be - just a list of challenges it's entered into.

Although I suppose figuring out how to stretch the definition of any given challenge to match a card you've already made is a challenge in itself - just one of a different kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh making a card to match 10 challenges is definitely different than making a card and finding 10 challenges to match.

I am upfront about how a card came about, I actually won a challenge with a card I made before the challenge and it just fit when I posted it. I said that in my blurb. Let's be honest ATM "summer" "hot" "Christmas in July" aren't difficult prompts as well as a use a "die cut" "glitter" "ribbon" "embossing" "bling".

I have noticed some challenge blogs saying no more than 1-2 challenge entries per card and the use of their stamps. I respect that. I also respect when challenge entries ask you to use their product.

I just don't get it when people are obviously finding challenges that fit their card and they haven't followed the basics such as using only a certain manufacturer's stamps. That is so basic.

But honestly if someone finds 50+ challenge blogs that want "bling" and no other conditions I am ok with that too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I love challenges as well because they challenge my creativity. I think the only time I have combined is with a sketch/color combo of challenges. I host a challenge for a company so I realize the time it takes - so a shout out thank you to all the ladies who do it here and elsewhere! It's not something you do on a whim.

My problem with challenges has been when the winning entry didn't follow the rules at all! I have seen this happen several times when the winner is random number generated. Unfortunately sometimes even if you "gently" bring it to the hostess' attention, I have received very rude responses. I do know how tough it is to get to everyone's entry, especially if you are a one-woman show, but I think it is important that the winner actually meet the challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Lots of people do though - sometimes to be in with a chance of winning if there are prizes on offer but often, I suspect, to drive more traffic to their blogs. I think the most I've seen is something like 26 challenges for one card! When a chunk of those are "anything goes" challenges, it's fairly clear that the card maker has trawled for "suitable" challenges to list with something that may (or may not) have been prompted by one or two challenges. Even if it's only the challenge hostesses who visit (rather than other challenge players) you've generated extra visits and extra comments for your card.

I don't think you're overthinking it Adelle, I think you're taking the attitude that a challenge is a prompt or kickstart when you make something. Personally, I'm in the same camp and applaud your thinking and your appreciation of challenge hostesses, many of whom do a fantastic job of commenting on entries to their challenges as well as coming up with ideas and samples on a regular basis.
This is an excellent post that bears repeating! Thank you, Joanne. I couldn't have stated this any better.

And yes, as Sabrina later noted, I think the "record number of challenges entered" that she and I have seen was about 75! :shock:

As for me - since my creative time is sometimes limited, I've been known to combine several challenges for one card. I think the most I've ever been able to pull off is 4 or 5. My thought process often goes along the lines of "how can I combine this color challenge with that sketch challenge, and can I also work in the embellishments for this other challenge?"

As a DT member for several challenge blogs - a big hug of thanks to all of you who do read and follow challenge guidelines. Another hug of thanks goes to those of you who participate regularly and keep our blogs "in business"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennydouphView Post
I love challenges as well because they challenge my creativity. I think the only time I have combined is with a sketch/color combo of challenges. I host a challenge for a company so I realize the time it takes - so a shout out thank you to all the ladies who do it here and elsewhere! It's not something you do on a whim.

My problem with challenges has been when the winning entry didn't follow the rules at all! I have seen this happen several times when the winner is random number generated. Unfortunately sometimes even if you "gently" bring it to the hostess' attention, I have received very rude responses. I do know how tough it is to get to everyone's entry, especially if you are a one-woman show, but I think it is important that the winner actually meet the challenge.
I applaud challenge hosts that put upfront that if you don't follow the rules you don't win. Most are happy for you to participate but a stamp manufacturer has the right to say everyone is invited to play along but the winner must use our stamps. I think if someone is going to use the random number generator they should consider conditions or regenerate, because when I see people winning that didn't even follow the rules it doesn't make me want to participate again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a challenge site DT member this whole conversation makes me smile! There are lots of times when I see a card linked up to a challenge and I’m scratching my head, turning it upside down and closing one eye to see how it fits in with the challenge rules. I definitely think that sometimes the crafter is just trying to drive traffic to his or her blog with no regard to the time or effort that the host and design team put into the challenge. I’m happy to see that so many of you agree! Of course, I’m no rule breaker! If I participate in a sketch challenge it’s because I want to see if I can create something from nothing more than an idea for a layout. Same goes for color challenges. That’s what a challenge is all about, after all!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmitchellView Post
As a challenge site DT member this whole conversation makes me smile! There are lots of times when I see a card linked up to a challenge and I�m scratching my head, turning it upside down and closing one eye to see how it fits in with the challenge rules. I definitely think that sometimes the crafter is just trying to drive traffic to his or her blog with no regard to the time or effort that the host and design team put into the challenge. I�m happy to see that so many of you agree! Of course, I�m no rule breaker! If I participate in a sketch challenge it�s because I want to see if I can create something from nothing more than an idea for a layout. Same goes for color challenges. That�s what a challenge is all about, after all!
I do this all the time and often can't figure out how a card fits a challenge---even if it is just a sketch challenge. I really like it when a stamper says what they did to change the parameters---turned the sketch sideways, made a square a rectangle or vise versa. I try to follow sketches on occasion, but never to submit my work. Sometimes a sketch just grabs me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I think I have "liked" almost every post here b/c I agree with so much! Anytime anyone takes time out of their life to set up something fun for others-esp for people they dont even really know-I think that is hugely admirable and should be respected.

As a newbie, I dont do challenges yet for submission for several reasons, but I DO look at them and the entries all the time for learning purposes and I get frustrated when it feels like people just stuck any old card in there. (LOVE that comment about turning them in all directions! Too funny!) It often feels like people are taking advantage of the idea of "artistic license"....if there are rules, play by them! I am fascinated when people do and how many versions can come in. I LOVE that! I learn so much about thinking outside my comfort zones, color combos, etc etc etc!!

I can understand how more seasoned/skilled people want to amp it up for a harder challenge by combining a couple. (Maybe there needs to be a "advanced level or expert level challenge" for those guys!) But to 75? It sounds like the challenge was to see how many they could post to, not anything about the actual design. :(

Sounds like the candy is a huge motivator in this matter. If there wasnt candy...how many of these "mass" posters would do it? What do you think?

And I totally agree about the random picker thing b/c it can pick someone who isnt even close and that is unfair imho to those who played fair. I have felt bad for players for that reason when I saw some winners. Also I wonder if it does not encourage those people to keep doing it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone else who dislikes the random number generator method here. I can understand the use of it for blog candy wins etc, but not for competitions. You can often look at the entries, and its easy to see the cards that a huge amount of thought, design and effort went into, against the ones that don't, or barely, follow the rules- yet they have just as much chance of winning. I agree with wavejumper, it can't be very encouraging to entries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I make many Christmas cards every year for a fundraiser sale so I love challenges to spark new ideas and keep me motivated. I totally agree that you should stick to the theme of the challenge - otherwise what's the point? Most often I do a card for just one challenge but occasionally I find there is serendipity and I see a great way to combine 2 or 3 challenges in one card. I just don't understand how someone could fit a card to more than that!!

I really appreciate all the challenge hosts and DT members who give the rest of us so much pleasure and inspiration.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Someone else who dislikes the random number generator method here. I can understand the use of it for blog candy wins etc, but not for competitions. You can often look at the entries, and its easy to see the cards that a huge amount of thought, design and effort went into, against the ones that don't, or barely, follow the rules- yet they have just as much chance of winning. I agree with wavejumper, it can't be very encouraging to entries.
I've caught myself not trying too hard on those. I used to really sweat it but then decided why when it actually doesn't matter in order to win. Of course, I don't really enter as often as I would like either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

The times I have been on a challenge DT we did not ever pick a winner from someone who did not follow the challenge. It's too bad they don't all follow that rule.

As for entering, I started doing challenges when there were no prizes and I still do them for personal reasons NOT for prizes. Back then there was no linky thing to track entries even! In fact, I never even go back to look if I won except on the Tim Holtz ones. I love them for inspiration and as a challenge to myself and yes, as someone mentioned, I HAVE done the how many challenges can I cover challenge to myself but I have not come anywhere near 75!!!!!!! Not sure if I have done more than 5 and that's only when there are a bunch of anything goes ones!

On the other hand if I find myself feeling stifled because I am trying to make a challenge work I will drop it. I am actually struggling today with whether or not to enter one of my cards into the sketch challenge I was following because I decided to drop one of the layers so now I don't know that it counts even though it is definitely where my inspiration came from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Just to add to what I said earlier - I don't do challenges because there are prizes - I do them for fun and inspiration and new ideas. If one of my cards gets picked for an Honourable Mention or something like that, I'm thrilled but it's not my motivation. Don't we do this craft for love of the craft? Or do a lot of people do it just for recognition or prizes?

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

LOL! I've seen an entry with 55 challenges.. some people obviously have nothing better to do just look where could they enter their card...
Quote:

I think the most I've seen is something like 26 challenges for one card! When a chunk of those are "anything goes" challenges, it's fairly clear that the card maker has trawled for "suitable"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

you don't need to compile any list of challenges..we at Paper Playful (Paper Playful) do it for you - I'm one of the moderators
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
As I said before I don't post cards I make or enter competitions (yet) but I love looking at entries on different blogs. I too don't understand the random number generator. All that hard work and beautiful talent and to have someone win because their number was picked is rather sad. 'ohhh yes I won on there because I had the lucky number' not because I had put in a bit of effort and love into my project. the number generator has its place and should be kept for blog candy prizes only. well thats my two cents worth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have no problem with the random number generator IF (big if there) the card meets the challenge and is explained in the blog post how it meets the challenge IF it isn't obvious, such as when DT members say they took the challenge and flipped it etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with you Kristen - I think if it was strictly who does the best card it would be the same few people always winning and no one else would bother playing - using the random method encourages and supports everyone no matter their skill level. However I feel it should NEVER win if it doesn't follow the challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2014, 04:02 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah, if you have to turn the monitor on it's side, walk back ten paces, squint and hop on one leg to maybe see it, it probably doesn't meet the challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

An interesting thread. I don't enter challenges but use them to spark some inspiration; following a number of different sites. I have often wondered how some of the cards become listed (I never even picked up on the fact that you could win.) I thought it was just me being picky so it's good to know that others share my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #37  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread has really made me think a lot. I do enter challenges but usually don't enter more than 5 or so at a time...I do search out the challenges to see if what I made for either a DT card or a specific challenge fits another...and I have entered more than 5 at times....but after reading through this and thinking more about what my crafting really is - I rethinking the challenge things. There are some that I do really enjoy. I have so many saved in my favorites...it's time to go through that list and pare it down....Maybe just have two a day I check...not quite sure yet. But I also want to use more of my traditional stamps again rather than always using digis for everything.....time to rethink this craft for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdelleView Post

Some are very sketchy with the card details, even on a blog post (say a pic of the card and then a list of challenges it is entered in, no other info).
I haven't entered challenges yet, and this is my first comment on a thread! But I love the challenges and seeing what everyone has created. Adele's point about not giving any of the information on the card is the one that I find discouraging. I have often bought stamps, dies, inks and other tools that I've seen in a cards description because I loved the way it was used.
Although I've been making cards for a few years, I still consider myself a beginner...I am always inspired by the cards posted on Splitcoast!

Last edited by pgoes; 10-17-2014 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgoesView Post
I have often bought stamps, dies, inks and other tools that I've seen in a cards description because I loved the way it was used.
I love it when the person includes a good supply list in their blog post. That's how I find new things for my stash! Sometimes, when there's no supply list, I'll ask what a particular item is when I leave a comment. Most people are friendly and will reply.

Oh and welcome pgoes! You're going to love it here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the welcome! I love Splitcoast and have been so inspired by all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes