Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patterned Paper

I love buying patterned paper. If I live to be 200 I will probably never use all that I have. I use it when I make my calendars every year for family and friends. I also use it in my scrapbooking. Am I addicted of course. But at least I am able to use it now. At first I would use only a little at a time. But I think I can use whole sheets now and not have to go out and buy more. I have vowed not to buy anymore but of course I see some on sale that I can't live without.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #42  
Embossing Fanatic

I am addicted! I admit it! I keep buying it, and I will never live long enough to use it. More and more, I'm trying to make cards with the DP (I buy 12x12, but really prefer the 6x6 or 8x8 pads when I can get them). My 90-year-old mother is quilting with fabric she has had for years. She commented that she doesn't know how she got so much yardage, but I know how! She "collected" it just the way I get my patterned paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

I agree, I like the old school, no DP. I have quite a bit but am rarely using it. I never seem to have just the right colors or style I want. I wonder if DP is perhaps going to be slowly going out of style? I have quit buying it and can make a card a lot quicker without stressing over what DP I should use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't use much patterned paper. I inherited a lot of small sheets. We used a little bit for origami. I have a fish card that used some with a water pattern. I got some with a plaid design and cut it into 1/4" strips, then framed each image on the card (don't think I posted those). It is a card I CASEd from a book by Rubber Stampede. If you really want to see it, let me know and I'll post it. To make the fish card, I cut the strips just wide enough to cover the open area and go under the image a little bit--no wasted paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

I am pretty much the opposite! lol... i have all of the PTI paper stacked in rainbow order (SO PRETTY) and I have to force myself to use it. I use plain cardstock as the mat, and the patterned paper as the main attraction. I have been forcing myself lately to use my cardstock and I've enjoyed it, it's just PP is my fall-back. I love it so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I was buying way too much dp and just not using it, so I've decided to stop buying it completely and I've given myself a year to use up a lot of what I have, and if it's still in the drawers at the end of the year, I'm getting rid of most of it. I'm going to try the suggestion someone made earlier in the thread about making envelopes out of it.

We're all different and have different styles so dp works brilliantly for some of us, while others (like me) struggle to use it.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

"Once upon a time..."

Those big slabs used to yell my name, and piles of 12 X 12 DP began to multiply. I've gone through and purged so many times. And said "No more..." Until I saw the cutest pack of American Crafts DP that had been $19.99 on sale for $3.99. Had to have it. I just made a card with a couple of coordinating sheets from that pack this week. And wondered once again, what was I thinking?

I have found that I'm using more of my background stamps to make my own dp - lots more fun and more "me." The one dp that I do love is the Double Dots collection from Bo-Bunny. I just have a few sheets of it, which is probably why I like it so much. However, I own Polka Dots Basics by PTI, so I need to see what I can come up with going that route.

One more thing... I work for Head Start. Each year the parents choose a family activity, and many times, scrapbooking is chosen. Which was the case in one of our centers this year. Head Start has a limited amount of funds per family, with which we buy an album, adhesive and a few sheets of paper. I went through my stash and donated enough dp to give 34 families 40 sheets of plain and patterned paper. The benefit of this is many-fold: 1) This frees up the money we (Head Start) would be spending on paper to buy other scrapbooking supplies for the families; 2) It counts toward the "non-federal" match we (Head Start) have to meet each year; 3) It makes it more fun for the families to have many options to choose from for a more personal scrapbook; 4) I got a tax deduction for the donated paper.

There are many options to choose from, many organizations you can donate to... choose one that's close to your heart and make a difference!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love K & Company but like most of you, I have lots of 12 x 12! I do scrapbooking too along with cards but to see all my big dsp, I should just wallpaper my craft room!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just cleaned out my "thin" cardstock a few weeks ago because I love SU's better (thicker). Gave it to the local art teach at the high school - you thought I gave her the world! Glad to give it to someone who would use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I buy it, store it, collect it, use it, LOVE it! Most of my projects use at least one pattern. I also love buying it in packs so I always have coordinating prints. Fun!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

I use it on 99% of my cards! I'm paralyzed without it!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I must be unusual because I don't use patterned paper .
When I started about a year and a half ago I bought 3 packs of patterned paper from SU. I may have used 3 sheets of it . I use plain colored cardstock.
I make my own backgrounds with stamps or embossing folders.
For me it is easier than hunting for patterned paper that matches my card stock and ribbon.
Plus so much of the patterned paper is distress and I definitely don't like that.

A demo in Ohio was selling retired DP and I foolishly bought Bella Rose. I opened the pack to look at it . I have never used one sheet of it. I don't like it!
Thank goodness I never bought the paper in pads that are sold in stores.
This is me, too! I have foolishly bought some DP and have used very little, preferring to make my own. Each month I have vowed to make a card with some DP to use up the little I have. Trouble is, mine is all 12x12, so it lasts a long time, even if one doesn't have much. Been making little folded shirts for the Father's Day cards, envelopes and gift bags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #53  
Kookie Creator

I love PP and use it all the time in cardmaking. I make embellishments with it and always use it on my cards. I have lots and can't seem to help myself from buying more - it is so pretty!!! I used to buy indiscriminately - if it was on sale or others were buying it, then I bought it. Now I only buy what I really like. I am buying PP for scrapbooking now and picking ones that will need very little more added than photos, journalling and maybe a bit of bling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #54  
Glitter Queen

I love my dp. buy it mostly in 12x12 tablets because I use it for envelopes, backgrounds, layering, die cut flowers to layer. I often start with the dp, then match up ribbon and layers for sentiments. It's hard to resist at 50% off for 180 sheets that are color coordinated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #55  
Glitter Queen

One way I saw DP being used was a demo at Archivers. They used patterned paper and stamped an easy chair with black ink on it, so it looked like patterned fabric. They also did the lampshade beside the chair in PP. It was pretty cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Yes, I know I bought that stamp so just so I could paper piece and make that card. I love paper but I have stopped buying DSP in 12 x 12 unless it is Stampin Up. It is too hard to match to solid cardstock. I fell in love with BG in the 6x6 size. I love watching Stamp TV because Gina K uses the DSP for cards and it motivates me to use my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #57  
Glitter Guru

Received 856 Likes on 512 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
"Once upon a time..."

I have found that I'm using more of my background stamps to make my own dp - lots more fun and more "me." The one dp that I do love is the Double Dots collection from Bo-Bunny. I just have a few sheets of it, which is probably why I like it so much. However, I own Polka Dots Basics by PTI, so I need to see what I can come up with going that route.
That is a great idea!!! I'm finding that the patterns on some of the paper I've bought are just too large; would be fun to make background paper with small stamps. Thanks for that idea!!!

Also, I think it is awesome you work for HeadStart!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 AM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love DP and only have one file box full of 12x12's. I scrapbook too, so this size is works well for that. I use a lot of little pads too. Basic Grey is real fun to use or any nice thick pad is fun because the colors coordinate. I really like using DP on cards. I love using the card sketches and using DP using any card sketch. Collecting DP is a fun hobby for me, but I don't buy packages of it. I buy two or three sheets at a time, and I am able to use that up fairly well. I love going to specialty shops where the whole wall from entry to the back is full of different DP's! I just look for something that strikes me and buy two or three sheets and that works for me! I don't think DP is going out of style at all. It's just the designer's choice whether to use it or not. DP is also fun to use when altering projects! I have a lot of fun doing that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #59  
Mad Swapper

I love, love the 6 x 6 paper packs. I use a lot of designer paper and one of my favorite techniques is paper piecing. Here are a few examples. There's almost no space on these cards that isn't designer paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Enquiring minds want to know??????-hugs.jpg   Enquiring minds want to know??????-christmastree.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

I was looking through the gallery and it sure seems like DP is lacking on a lot of the recent additions. I think embossing folders and make your own might be making a comeback. That's fine with me, I get more satisfaction on knowing I did everything when I make a card. I still have DP and will use it as will many people but I am seeing a trend where it's not all layers and layers of DP. Everyone has their own style and some people will never give up the DP and that's ok. I have never really been as thrilled with it as it's extra money, you never have enough to make more than a couple cards (if you use digital it's expensive to print with most printers) and I'm challenged on getting them to match each other or colors I'm using. I have quite buying any DP, pretty much quit using it and will make my own using stamps or other techniques (Technique Junkies really is mostly background techniques).
Do what you like and are comfortable with, stamping is for fun, do what YOU like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have tons of 12x12 designer paper that I've cut down to 6x6. With the exception of The Girls Paperie paper I just bought I only buy 8x8 or 6x6 pads now.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

I have lots of it too and it goes out just like everything else. Get to using it right? I like the thought of the 6 x 6 also but am trying to use up what I have first since I have so much.

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #63  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianneB1030View Post
my current favorite is Once Upon a Time frm DCWV.
Love IT! I agree with most of the posts that the scale of 12x12 pads is often too big for cards. I find it works well in my Big Shot to make boxes and other large papercrafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #64  
Kookie Creator

Heart New supplies...

I am with you, I have so many happy memories associated with the smell of new paper,pencils, everything getting ready for the new school year.
My youngest daughter who is in her late 40's still wants a brand new box of Crayola Crayons at the beginning of the school year. I have passed it on.:p
I used to have paper for my grandchildren to play with, but they have moved on to other "toys" like cell phones and iPods.
I wish I had been smarter when I started. I have 3 sets of 12x12 storage drawers from Michaels that are full of paper. Takes a lot of room I could use for other things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Oh, I LOVE dp's!! There are so many gorgeous ones being released all the time. I love 6 x 6 paper pads and it's great that so many companies have been releasing them in that size - and it means I get co-ordinating sheets. Maybe I'm a little nutty, but I love the smell of a new paper pad or dp's - kind of reminds me of my childhood when at the start of a new school year, I would get all new paper and folders and pencils and books - the "smell" of that new stationery was so nice. Everything was so fresh and clean. Please tell me I am not alone LOL.........;)
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #65  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I must be unusual because I don't use patterned paper .
When I started about a year and a half ago I bought 3 packs of patterned paper from SU. I may have used 3 sheets of it . I use plain colored cardstock.
I make my own backgrounds with stamps or embossing folders.
For me it is easier than hunting for patterned paper that matches my card stock and ribbon.
Ya, me too. I hardly ever use it and would rather stamp my own patt. But sometimes I do use a strip of patterned paper along the background, like a ribbon, with my other stamped cuts of card stock layered on top of that. Plus it's so much easier to make patterned paper stick than a ribbon sometimes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

I have stacks after stacks of dp. Sometimes I use the dp without any image, just a sentiment. Even big patterns can be used on cards. I usually keep the big ones for 6x6. As for the scraps I am trying to use them up as much as possible, if it is possible :P Sometimes the scrap is too small for anything but too big to be thrown away. Still thinking what to do with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyceLView Post
I have stacks after stacks of dp. Sometimes I use the dp without any image, just a sentiment. Even big patterns can be used on cards. I usually keep the big ones for 6x6. As for the scraps I am trying to use them up as much as possible, if it is possible :P Sometimes the scrap is too small for anything but too big to be thrown away. Still thinking what to do with it.
If you have the space (and patience), you can cut all your patterned paper scraps into 1" x 1" squares for making quilt cards. Once they are arranged, they can be cut with a die shape and then run through an embossing folder for a real quilted look. If you are OCD like me, you could even put coordinating colors into separate envelopes. I have found about 20 will do the truck--less, if you add a coordinating solid color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

Default OSW

I am planning to use up some of my DP by making OSW - One Sheet Wonders. You make a whole set of cards with one sheet of designer paper, some matching cardstock and card bases. Here is the link to the SCS thread I just found on it: one sheet wonders

I'm also going to try and remember that paper piecing is not a waste of DP.

Incase you can't tell, I'm a hoarder of all supplies so I have to start using more than just DP. I have an incredible amount of brads, eyelets, shaped brads, loose rhinestones (not sticky) and self-adhesive rhinestones... the list goes on.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #69  
Watercolor Wizard

Hi..My Name is Rebekka, and I am a paper junkie... Though I am very partial to clean and simple .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use it on about half of my cards I think. If the card looks better with it, then I use it. If not, I don't. I did learn not to force it either way. I found that when I did, some cards (without it that needed it) were very bland and other cards (that should have been solid colors) looked ridiculous.

As for using it, that's what it's for. Sure, there are times I see a piece and think, "I don't want to use it all up! I love that!" I get over it reasonably quickly by reminding myself that there is ALWAYS more paper to fall in love with. I rarely look for paper online without thinking, "Oh, I love that." at SOMETHING.

I'd rather use than hoard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickUpsView Post
I love, love the 6 x 6 paper packs. I use a lot of designer paper and one of my favorite techniques is paper piecing. Here are a few examples. There's almost no space on these cards that isn't designer paper.
Love love love this card! So funny! And so well made! Adorable!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use a LOT of DSP. I also have a LOT...I have spilled over into a second room now. I have enough in my stamp room but now I have a floor to ceiling paper tower my hubby built in a second room that is FULL...I also asked for more punch racks in the second room...lol. I guess if he gets tired of seeing stuff in the office I could move it to the guest room...the stuff just keeps multiplying on its own..really..........
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

I love it! I use it to make mini-albums. You can get some great ideas by going to You Tube and look for mini albums. It will make you fall in love with the paper again. It also will help you use up a lot of the paper that you already have. Check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too bought lots when I first started. My style has changed, but I am going to use up the stuff with die cut flowers and embellishments. They can always be sprayed with mists and look better or have the colour changed to match your card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #76  
Glitter Queen

OMG! I love the peeing dog... Where did you get that stamp... I HAVE to get one! Your cards are both beautiful. I love the use of the patterned paper. I will be scraplifting for sure...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I use a LOT of DSP. I also have a LOT...I have spilled over into a second room now. I have enough in my stamp room but now I have a floor to ceiling paper tower my hubby built in a second room that is FULL...I also asked for more punch racks in the second room...lol. I guess if he gets tired of seeing stuff in the office I could move it to the guest room...the stuff just keeps multiplying on its own..really..........
blessings.
You know when you leave two together they reproduce! That has apparently happened in my stamping room also. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #78  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCatsView Post
You know when you leave two together they reproduce! That has apparently happened in my stamping room also. ;)
LOL!! :lol: Oh yeah - it breeds at my house too......
Reply With Quote Likes