Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Edges of Embossed Card?

I am looking for ideas to finish off the edges of all over design dry embossed card fronts. I always seem to resort to roughing up the edges (distressing) and inking and stitching. Any other ideas please?
I have a lot of embossing folders that I would like to make use of. Some have never been used.
Thanks,
Barbara
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m not sure I’m understanding your question - can you show us an example of the sort of thing you usually do? Maybe you have things in your gallery?

On a connected note though, if you’re looking for inspiration to use your folders, there’s a relatively new challenge dedicated to embossing folders: Let’s Squash It There seems to be a group of players who pitch up regularly as well as newcomers and occasional players - it’s a fun and friendly group, challenges start on 10th each month. I’m not involved in organising, I just like to play along when I can!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
uncbballfan (06-02-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for responding Joanne.
I sometimes find straight cut edges plain and boring, and was wondering if there are ways I am missing of finishing them more decoratively. The yellow card is just cut straight and the flower box one I just stitched and the white one I stitched and distressed.
I wasn't aware of the newer Challenge you mentioned and will check that out for ideas.
Thank you again!
Barb
Attached Thumbnails
Edges of Embossed Card?-99c5cd2b-e72c-4660-9bed-d4f4b1fe85c8_1_201_a.jpg   Edges of Embossed Card?-img_0507.jpg   Edges of Embossed Card?-img_0117.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry Joanne I am going to need your help. I can't find the Let's Squash It Challenge you mentioned. I checked a few places but don't see it.
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi Barb,

Although I've been stamping & card making for a very long time, I've never really done anything special to the outer edges of dry embossed items with rare exceptions. Those exceptions include sponging or direct to edge inking with the pad, and heat embossing ... again, rare. lol

And then Joanne "made me go look" for that challenge .... it's a blog of its own: Let's Squash It
(Not really ... thanks, Joanne!) ;)

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 05-29-2021 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Cre8ive Mind (05-30-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I like the look of gold heat embossing around the edges or you could use a metallic pen.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by shirlb19:
Cre8ive Mind (05-30-2021), pepperann (05-30-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I like the look of gold heat embossing around the edges or you could use a metallic pen.

Shirl
Hi Shirl,
Thanks for the great ideas. How do you ink your edges for the gold heat embossing? I have a set of Sharpie Metallic Markers that I have used on edges, but not ones with all over dry embossing, so that would be good to try too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2021, 06:54 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Hi Barb,

Although I've been stamping & card making for a very long time, I've never really done anything special to the outer edges of dry embossed items with rare exceptions. Those exceptions include sponging or direct to edge inking with the pad, and heat embossing ... again, rare. lol

And then Joanne "made me go look" for that challenge .... it's a blog of its own: Let's Squash It
(Not really ... thanks, Joanne!) ;)
I will look on Google for that blog. Thanks for the direction.
I guess over time I have just gotten tired of looking at my plain edges and wanted to dress them up a bit. I love the look of clean and simple when others do it, but mine always seem lacking something. I think I lack the balance know how to get that white space just right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Let's Squash It!
https://letssquashit.blogspot.com/20...allenge-8.html
I just went through their blog. Clearly Gail and Jo have worked really hard on it and I had a few chuckles, like when they call it a squash machine. I will look forward to see what new ideas and tips they come up with in the future.
I got some inspiration from the blog which made the read worth it.
Thanks Joanne for the heads up on this site. I saw your February contribution and your picture looks so different from your avatar here...I didn't recognize you.
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2021, 10:12 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
Hi Shirl,
Thanks for the great ideas. How do you ink your edges for the gold heat embossing? I have a set of Sharpie Metallic Markers that I have used on edges, but not ones with all over dry embossing, so that would be good to try too.
I would use a versamark pen and then apply the e.p..

I have used double sided thin tape around the edges and applied glitter too.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2021, 01:28 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry you got frustrated looking for it Barb - the words in my post were a direct link to the blog, maybe that didn’t show on the screen you were viewing on? I’m guessing that might be the case since TexasGrammy did a link, too (and you’re welcome, Bev!). Anyway, glad you found it in the end! My avatar pic here is pretty old, it’s the one that got used when I joined the Dirty Dozen which is almost four years ago - eek, time flies!

Your cards look pretty as they are, I think the texture of the embossing adds plenty of interest without needing more. Shirl’s suggestions of embossing powder or glitter would work great - I can imagine clear glitter round the edge of a snowflake embossed panel looking fabulously festive for example, adding glue rather than tape would give a more freehand, organic look to that. You could also add a narrow mat between the embossed panel and the card base for a bit extra definition if it’s a design that would benefit from that.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2021, 05:48 AM   #12  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Sorry you got frustrated looking for it Barb - the words in my post were a direct link to the blog, maybe that didn’t show on the screen you were viewing on? I’m guessing that might be the case since TexasGrammy did a link, too (and you’re welcome, Bev!). Anyway, glad you found it in the end! My avatar pic here is pretty old, it’s the one that got used when I joined the Dirty Dozen which is almost four years ago - eek, time flies!

Your cards look pretty as they are, I think the texture of the embossing adds plenty of interest without needing more. Shirl’s suggestions of embossing powder or glitter would work great - I can imagine clear glitter round the edge of a snowflake embossed panel looking fabulously festive for example, adding glue rather than tape would give a more freehand, organic look to that. You could also add a narrow mat between the embossed panel and the card base for a bit extra definition if it’s a design that would benefit from that.
Not being able to add colour to links just now is a bit of a bummer, it makes it easier for them to get lost. Hopefully it will be restored soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Well, I guess if you only want the edges to be fancier than straight, maybe you could look at the shape of the texture and do some cutting with scissors to make that edge not straight. ( if it has swirls cut along the swirl kind of a thing) and if you do not have a steady hand for that, maybe dig out your border dies? and cut shapes from the texture along the edge? ( and this has me thinking use only part of the texture on the card like a border panel instead of a whole background)
Or you could cut a second piece to be the top then cut a window through so that the texture peeks through the window. just some random thoughts. hth,

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by JBgreendawn:
Cre8ive Mind (05-30-2021), Paula in GA (05-31-2021), pepperann (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 09:01 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Well, my computer ignorance is showing. I never thought to hover over the site title to link to it. Duh!!! Just thought it was the title. Duh!!! LOL! No worries...I am learning that's what matters.
Thank you! The ideas coming in are all great ones. Smile
I think what I will do is pull out some of my embossed samples which I have of ALL my folders in a large photo album (see photos) and apply the ideas to the samples so when I go looking for a folder I see the ideas and can choose one that I might use for that particular occasion.
Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Edges of Embossed Card?-33ae16f9-ec51-40f9-931d-340ec80a92a0.jpg   Edges of Embossed Card?-8d6fdbb2-bbed-4500-97f6-afebcd69b86e.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #15  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

In my experience, if you are using a marker (metallic or black) to define the edges, it's easier to do that before embossing. It gives a more even result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

The edging that Sabrina does on some of her cards looks awesome. It is more of an organic look meaning not necessarily straight, which I love the look of.

A metallic gold leafing pen would probably work well.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
The edging that Sabrina does on some of her cards looks awesome. It is more of an organic look meaning not necessarily straight, which I love the look of.

A metallic gold leafing pen would probably work well.

Shirl
I haven't invested in one of the gold leaf pens. I have thought of it a couple of times. I'm not keen on those felt pens that you have to pump the nib to make the ink come out.
I lived in Pitt Meadows for 18 years before retiring to the Island, so hello to a fellow BC'er.
I'll check out Sabrina's edges. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Waving to you, Barb!

My gold leafing pen is still in the package, lol. I think I bought it at Stampadoodle in Bellingham, (which is now closed). I am definetly going to be using it as a friend and I were just discussing metallic pens. I had forgotten I had bought it.

Here is one of Sabrina's lovely cards:

MIX431 Christmas Pieces by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Sabrina, hope you don't mind me posting a pic of your card!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2021, 07:59 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I went through Sabrina's gallery. Wow! Sabrina I love your cards!!! I got lots of ideas for edges, not just for embossed panels but plain ones too. I'll be referring back often I should think. Looking at the card that Shirl, linked I couldn't quite make out if the edges were torn or if it is just the irregular hand inked gold that I am seeing. Either way it is very effective. That's just the type of thing I am looking for. A bit of pizzazz!
Thanks again everyone!
Barb

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2021, 08:45 AM   #21  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Thank you . Some people say edges are my trademark. I'm a big fan of embossing with gold or white for a slightly irregular finish. The card that Shirl linked was a chisel tip gold pen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2021, 09:19 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

You got my vote Sabrina. I am so glad I started this thread and got to see your edges. I see you here on SCS lots but was looking for something specific and didn't want to spend days hunting through a hundred galleries. So I took a short cut and glad I did. Everyone is so helpful here with so many great ideas!
Can't say thank you enough.
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2021, 10:54 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Just wanted to chime in and say that I often use a stitched rectangle die to cut out my embossed panel for card fronts, for a little bit of detail. I've also begun embossing directly onto my card front base for a CAS look and less bulky look. Otherwise, ink blending is always a quick and easy option.
By the way, I agree about Sabrina's cards being exquisite!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2021, 12:10 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Hey Karen
I love those stitched edge dies. Every time I crave buying them I say to myself NO, just go to your sewing machine and DIY, you don't have to have it. So, I have resisted the temptation...so far. i bought all those sew easy edge punch roller thingies and they just sit there unused. I had good intentions to make use of them on lots of cards. Still do I suppose. Maybe one day.
Ink blending is I think the most popular finish for edges these days and always looks great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe make your embossed panels different shapes. (For instance triangles instead of a square or rectangle). Or the old shape scissors everyone used to have. Or a torn from spiral notebook look. Personally I think your cards are beautiful as is but I understand we all look to change things up sometimes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried gilding wax? I adore the look of gilding wax applied to the edges of an embossed piece.. I use my finger to apply the wax.. note that this is a very imprecise look. I do like a ton of texture, and this gives a bit of that to the edges...something to try anyway..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

About inking edges, I like the sponge dauber to ink my edges.

Card for George by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers
Very Very Violet by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers
Lavender, Lace, and Lattice by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

I've also used the sponge dauber to Versamark edges and then heat embossing powder, like this (card on left):

C-ing double! by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default die cut

I'd die cut with a shaped die first and then emboss[
QUOTE=Cre8ive Mind;22085194]I am looking for ideas to finish off the edges of all over design dry embossed card fronts. I always seem to resort to roughing up the edges (distressing) and inking and stitching. Any other ideas please?
I have a lot of embossing folders that I would like to make use of. Some have never been used.
Thanks,
Barbara[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Cre8ive Mind (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:54 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barbara:
Your cards are beautifully executed. The only idea I would have is to add a layer of contrasting card stock to help break up the white base card a bit. For example, on the yellow one, add a black piece that is slightly smaller than your base card. It would frame your focal point while adding some variety. But as I said, they are already beautiful so you don’t truly need to change a thing.

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Cre8ive Mind (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 656 Likes on 440 Posts

I know what you mean about the edges on efs. I have found adding an extra mat around the embossed panel helps in that regards even matting in the same color and even very thin matting if I don't want too much color. I learned this early on when I wasn't do an extra layer on my cards. Those extra layers are surprisingly effective and really help lift a card to the next level whether it's a stamped panel or an embossed panel. Lots of good ideas here too with the heat embossed edges and the framing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finishing the edges

Many times I feel the edges are just not right... to me. So I take my score board and put the edge of the embossed paper next to a groove and run my bone folder or stylus down it and it just does something to the edge to look more finished. You may want to try it and see if that would give you another look you may like. It may not work for ALL your embossed layers but I like it. Your cards look great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I do the same as ZOEDOG - I usually score from the back so the edge is raised, but you could do it from the front as well.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Edges around Embossed cards

I was a real followers for Debbie Stevens cards and she embossed her cards and added a few layers of matting which looked so professional and gorgeous. Just typed in "images of Debbie Steven's cards" and you will see a wide selection of her cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 04:24 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

Ladies, I am loving this thread. So many interesting tips! I'll try the scoring one. Personally, I use a stitched rectangle die after I emboss. It flattens the pattern a bit but I find is rather have that than the unfinished edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post
Maybe make your embossed panels different shapes. (For instance triangles instead of a square or rectangle). Or the old shape scissors everyone used to have. Or a torn from spiral notebook look. Personally I think your cards are beautiful as is but I understand we all look to change things up sometimes
I still have all my decorative edge scissors and like them, but I have trouble making the corners of the panels look nice. I tend to go to my MS punch around the page punches instead. Maybe I should revisit them and see if I can make some of them work now that I have more experience and more supplies to work with them, like corner punches.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
About inking edges, I like the sponge dauber to ink my edges.

Card for George by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers
Very Very Violet by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers
Lavender, Lace, and Lattice by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

I've also used the sponge dauber to Versamark edges and then heat embossing powder, like this (card on left):

C-ing double! by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers
OOO! I like that framed canvass embossing folder. Oh, Oh I feel another buying craving coming on. LOL.
Beautiful cards and nice smooth edge blending. I have tried different tools and can't say I have picked a favorite yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #37  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

The only thing I noticed that I do differently is, I generally mount the embossed piece on a coordinated color, before putting it on the base white.

It's just a simple thing but seems to somehow attach it all together..... Two samples of my millions. lol

Attached Thumbnails
Edges of Embossed Card?-card-sailfish-swim.jpg   Edges of Embossed Card?-card-sully.jpg  

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (06-03-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, yes, yes! I want to start doing more layers. I'm not sure why I don't because I see so many others doing it and love the look. I bought those perfect layer rulers to make it easier to add the border. Thanks for the kick in the butt on that. Black is a good suggestion as it would match lots of colours.

Scoring sounds like a nice quick and easy option. It might just be that tiny little extra bit that adds a lot to the look of the card.

I am just loving all these great ideas. I never expected so many. Thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
The only thing I noticed that I do differently is, I generally mount the embossed piece on a coordinated color, before putting it on the base white.

It's just a simple thing but seems to somehow attach it all together..... Two samples of my millions. lol
Hi Kathy,
On your panda bear card did you use actual sequins to emboss the background or is that a folder? I like it!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2021, 09:52 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by d0npenView Post
Have you tried gilding wax? I adore the look of gilding wax applied to the edges of an embossed piece.. I use my finger to apply the wax.. note that this is a very imprecise look. I do like a ton of texture, and this gives a bit of that to the edges...something to try anyway..
I bought some metallic waxy stuff recently but it wasn't called gilding wax. I haven't tried it yet. I better open it up and check it out. I wonder if it's the same just another brand? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes