Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Don't have a clue what i am doing.

I am a lot more new than any of you. I have some stamps. I love the idea of them, and the beautiful results I see on here.
Is there a place to ask questions so that I don't drive all you experienced people nuts?
Like ....how do I get a clean initial stamp, and what kind of ink do I use so it won't smear? and how do y'all get those wonderful shaded images on your stamp? Pencil or markers? Paint?
I am a painter/crafter, but this is new to me, and thank you. I will try not to drive your nuts.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Nothing wrong with posting questions. We all had to start somewhere
A lot of the questions you've mention all depend on what type of stamps you are using and what medium you are looking at using to color them Ie. watercolour, alcohol markers, pencil...)

The type of paper/cardstock you use will also make a difference depending on the medium.

For outline image stamps you may only want to invest in black ink for now, but if you also have solid image stamps, or layered stamp sets then you will need various colors of ink pads.

What were you most interested in trying first? maybe link to a finish project of something you wish to try and then we can try an assist in what you would need to create the same effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

thanks so much! I found a stamp by Penny Black that I saw a Debby Yates had done in a beautiful little card. it was black outlined, then colored in with a little brown and red. It was Winter Wonderland, with the hats on the birds. I have so much invested in other things, trying to keep it simple for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

if you purchase an ink that will not dry on coated paper, with coated paper... ( you would have to sprinkle heat able embossing power over the wet ink an melt it so it seals the ink in to not smear.)

( what ever kind of ink you bought will say what it is intended for or the "type" of ink it is on the packaging. ( what kind did you get?)

dye inks will dry on just about everything porous without smearing but, you may have to give it a few moments to actually dry. ( or if patience is not a strong suit hit it with your heat gun to hurry it along)

I think you are going to find that most people who do have an idea of what to do with whatever are happy to share what they know with people who are just starting. so keep asking and you will keep learning.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

re reading your post it sounds like you are leaning towards vintage watercoloring?

if so, Heather has a tutorial for that here. Vintage Watercolor Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
(click the link it will take you to that page)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

oh, gosh. thanks for the help!
I have some inks, not bought for this purpose, bought it for some altered art projects, don't have them out right now, is 'Stayz On' one? and just the Tim Holtz kinds, nothing specific. And I have a lot of paper I use with my Silhouette, just heavy card stock, some fancy, mostly plain colors. I will be looking at kinds of inks better!
I love the vintage watercolor, just can't invest right now, but I am going to look at that link in just a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Default You Tube

You might also want to look at YouTube. There is a video Tips with Staz On ink and another is titled Tips with Using Solvent Inks. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #8  
Glitter Queen

thanks...is Solvent Ink the Stayzon? is it ok to use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

If you look at the lid of the StazOn ink pad, I think it will say solvent ink on the lid. I don't use it a lot, but hopefully someone on here will respond and indicate what they clean it up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I am just going to buy one black one, what would y'all recommend?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Welcome to Splitcoast and to a new obsession! I personally detest StazOn - I think it's smelly and sticky and just generally yucky, but that's my own personal thing. Here's a bit of info that might help:
  • Dye inks are water-based and used as stand-alone or when you will be using something alcohol or solvent-based to color (Copic markers or Spectrum Noir or Prismacolor or Sharpie or Bic MarkIt or Shinhan Touch Twin, or colored pencils with OMS - see a tutorial for that HERE) Many people use Memento, but pretty much any dye ink you have at hand will work. An exception may be the Tim Holtz distress inks, but I'm not sure (I don't use mine that often).
  • Pigment inks are solvent-based and are used when you will be coloring with a water-based medium - water-based markers like Tombow, Crayola or Stampin'Up!, or actual watercolors. They are fast-drying and give sharp, clear impressions, so many people use them for sentiments, as well. Versafine is a brand most often seen in reference to those...
  • Hybrid inks are exactly what they say, and I can't weigh in on those, because I don't own a single one! Someone else may have some impressions to share, though.
As far as what type of paper to use, there are as many options as opinions! Many people using Copics or other alcohol-based markers like Neenah Solar White. Bristol board seems to be popular for colored pencils, watercolor paper for watercolor-y techniques (there are others besides straight watercoloring).

I know that EVERYONE will agree that THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION is the one that doesn't get asked, and none of us started out knowing everything (and still don't), so ask away! There is a whole library of tutorials for different techniques and projects under the "Tutorials" tab at the top right of every page here on Splitcoast (yep, that's where they keep 'em!), and that would be a great place to browse and see what looks interesting to you. There are often videos of the process, and ALWAYS a gallery of completed projects relating to that tutorial - TONS of inspiration!

The best advice I can provide is to experiment with different coloring media and inks and papers (get just a bit of each, not whole sets or reams or whatever) to see what blows your hair back, and then practice with those until you gain confidence and want to expand - we're all in this journey as much for the journey itself as any results we may end up with along the way!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 08-10-2016 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

thanks so much, that is valuable information, and I appreciate it. I am in the middle of painting for some shows this fall, and then I am going to do this for my own personal use. I will be using the tutorials as well, they are such important pieces of information. Y'all have been great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

As an ink recommendation, I'd say either Versafine Onyx Black, or Memento Tuxedo Black are great starters. There is also Archival black, again a really good ink.
Staz-on is better for non-porous surfaces, like glass/plastic/acetate. You need the proper Staz-on cleaner for it, but everyone recommends you don't use that cleaner on clear stamps, and definitely not on acrylic blocks. It really does ruin them. Says she who learnt that the hard way. Staz-on is solvent ink, yes.
Sue is absolutely right that the only stupid question is the one not asked. No-one on here will mind in the slightest answering questions, we all had to learn, and indeed still are. And helping out others is a way for us to Pay It Forward for all the help we've received on here, so never be too scared to ask.
Plus, you get 'real life' answers on here, from crafters using the products, which is not always the same as the manufacturers blurb.
Ocean County Stamper has a great idea with You Tube. I have had a lot of time on my hands recently, and have spent many hours watching all sorts of You Tube videos. It really is true there is nothing you can't learn off You Tube.
You say that you have some Tim Holtz inks- you can get great vintage watercolour effects using those. Just squish some ink from the pad onto a craft sheet/ old plate, then paint either using a waterbrush, or good old paintbrush and water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsbeverleeView Post
I am just going to buy one black one, what would y'all recommend?
I would actually suggest two - Versafine Onyx Black and Memento Tuxedo Black. That way you would be covered no matter which coloring medium you wanted to play with. Ranger Archival Black is my go-to in lieu of StazOn...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I would actually suggest two - Versafine Onyx Black and Memento Tuxedo Black. That way you would be covered no matter which coloring medium you wanted to play with. Ranger Archival Black is my go-to in lieu of StazOn...
I agree with Sue. I tend to use Versafine Onyx the most. I got the Memento Tuxedo Black to use with my alcohol markers, and it is good for that. However, the black color of the Memento is not as intense as the Versafine, kind of faded in comparison, I think.

I've found that I can use the Versafine with my markers if I color carefully and don't run over the stamped lines, so that's what I usually do.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

y'all are all just great. thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome to SCS! You came to right place as a beginner! Wish I had! But I am catching up now

I am going to be interested to see how a painter takes to stamping! I look forward to you posting work down the road!

You already got the critical bits about ink and use.

The only thing I would note is that I find pigments are a little slower to dry which is why people like to heat emboss with it-but particularly for whatever reason, I find the metallics really slow. Just fyi because they tend to be very popular with mixed media people.

Another place for good tutorials is Jennifer McGuire-she does product discussions where she talks about the different kinds of inks, papers, storage ideas, etc. aside from techniques as well.

Frugal Crafter is another good site-lovely to listen to and as said-she does all kinds of crafting on a budget

Sandy Allnock is an artist and does nice ones-she is into card painting now...so look at her for brushes, paper, types of WC paints and inks, etc. She has been exploring the different products.

Art Impressions stamps does WC lessons with their images which I like for extrapolating backgrounds, etc

You might want to look at Clarity Stamps in the UK-Barbara does tons of tutorials and is an artist.

As said there are just tons of them out there and the key is finding the people who resonate best with you.

And keep asking questions. We are not going anywhere. Some times the answers can come in minutes and other times it can take hours. This is a wonderful wonderland of information, support, and fun. You will like it here! When you have time surf the forums a bit-we have dedicated ones for product, techniques, sales (we sell to each other at a discount)...and the gallery totally rocks for inspiration!

See you around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just wanted to add...the ladies on these forums are some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people you will find. My cards would still look like they were made by a three year old if they hadn't steered me in the right direction. I am so grateful that they take the time to encourage new stampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

thank you, I am really looking forward to getting started, but I have to finish up the things that make the $$ for me to be able to do this kind of stuff.
and I am seeing that it was not just by chance that I found this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Will there be a link to your art show we can see? I would like to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto what so many said - including on-line videos by Jennifer McGuire and others.

Some local stamping/scrapbooking shops hold beginning stamp classes that go through types of inks, papers, techniques, embossing and more. If that is available, it might give you a nice boost forward too. I was surprised to find a couple within driving distance, and then just heard of another. Sometimes they're tucked away.

And enjoy! Play! Ask gazillion questions! Play more! And welcome.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to add my warm welcome to the black hole that is card making add the wonderful world that is Splitcoast. You are among friends indeed! You have lots of food for thought already but I just have to say this ...

I can't help it but I like the smell of StazOn! (Sorry to horrify you Sue but I can't deny it. :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I want to add my warm welcome to the black hole that is card making add the wonderful world that is Splitcoast. You are among friends indeed! You have lots of food for thought already but I just have to say this ...

I can't help it but I like the smell of StazOn! (Sorry to horrify you Sue but I can't deny it. :o)
Who am I to judge? We like what we like... They say that smell is the sense with the most memory attached to it - maybe you have a very positive memory attached to that particular smell...? Oh - and I horrify others on a fairly regular basis for reasons waaaaay more shameful than liking a particular odor...;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome welcome welcome! There is usually someone here that can help you. ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 04:46 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let all the "have to have stuff" daunt you. I would suggest you experiment with a brown ink too. I use Stazon and Momento but if I find another ink I will give it a try. I would recommend you look into a MISTI. It helps you make perfect stamp every time. Also check out Prismacolor youtube videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just wanted to second what southgirl said - you don't HAVE to have anything! Well, obviously some cardstock or paper and something to put on it - stamp or sticker or...Aside from that, it's totally your choice how simple or complicated you get and what you're comfortable with or want to try.

And she's right - the MISTI is very useful to get things exactly right when stamping. One thing I've noticed as a "side effect", if you will, since I got mine is that I second-guess myself any time I stamp without it. Kind of like how I am when I do math without a calculator, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I'm going to be the odd [wo]man out, the curmudgeon, if you will, and put a shout-out for acrylic blocks, especially at the beginning of your stamping career. After you're comfortable, get a Misti.

I think blocks help teach skills - from placement to eye/hand coordination to really "feeling" how stamps work. You may not have a Misti at events. And who knows, you might end up still loving blocks after you get a Misti, if you get one. I truly love both. I even love the the word "blocks." (Strange, right?)

I use both. For some projects, blocks are faster - for me. I was "randomly" stamping very tiny circles and dots. I put them on three of the 4 corners of a block, and inked whichever one I was using, with a little piece of paper covering where the others were. Pop pop pop, done in probably under a minute. (Learned that from a Jennifer McGuire video.)

Off my soapblock.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I'm going to be the odd [wo]man out, the curmudgeon, if you will, and put a shout-out for acrylic blocks, especially at the beginning of your stamping career. After you're comfortable, get a Misti.

I think blocks help teach skills - from placement to eye/hand coordination to really "feeling" how stamps work. You may not have a Misti at events. And who knows, you might end up still loving blocks after you get a Misti, if you get one. I truly love both. I even love the the word "blocks." (Strange, right?)

I use both. For some projects, blocks are faster - for me. I was "randomly" stamping very tiny circles and dots. I put them on three of the 4 corners of a block, and inked whichever one I was using, with a little piece of paper covering where the others were. Pop pop pop, done in probably under a minute. (Learned that from a Jennifer McGuire video.)

Off my soapblock.

Beth
I agree. I've been making cards for about 10 years now, and made hundreds and hundreds without a Misti, just my trusty acrylic blocks. I finally got a Misti this year when she had a sale on irregulars. I like it for certain things, but still use my blocks most of the time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

We all started where you are!!! No question is a stupid question. This place is wonderful with loads of help!!!

Welcome to stamping!! Its so much fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Off my soapblock.

Beth
I don't think you're "odd woman out" at all! There are lots of us with MISTIs that still use blocks, too, and for exactly the reasons you mentioned as well as that not everything you're stamping even FITS in the MISTI! I even went out and bought a block in a size I had given away after I got my MISTI because I needed it for something and didn't have it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I don't think you're "odd woman out" at all! There are lots of us with MISTIs that still use blocks, too, and for exactly the reasons you mentioned as well as that not everything you're stamping even FITS in the MISTI! I even went out and bought a block in a size I had given away after I got my MISTI because I needed it for something and didn't have it...
Oh, good, I'm not alone - I have so donated items and purchased them again. And not just for stamping. We have season baseball tickets, and I forgot we sold our tickets for a game we want to go to. By accident I noticed we sold them, or we would have shown up and not been able to go to our seats. And we had to buy new tickets to go while people enjoy "my" seats! :rolleyes:

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh, good, I'm not alone - I have so donated items and purchased them again. And not just for stamping. We have season baseball tickets, and I forgot we sold our tickets for a game we want to go to. By accident I noticed we sold them, or we would have shown up and not been able to go to our seats. And we had to buy new tickets to go while people enjoy "my" seats! :rolleyes:

Beth
Ha ha! Totally OT, but I saw a cute story where some guys broke into a car and stole some stuff, including good seat tickets for a baseball game. The cops went to the game, and there were the crooks, sitting in the seats!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Ha ha! Totally OT, but I saw a cute story where some guys broke into a car and stole some stuff, including good seat tickets for a baseball game. The cops went to the game, and there were the crooks, sitting in the seats!
Now that is funny! :-P Not the brightest bulbs in the lamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

itsbeverlee, I just recently joined the site as well. I kept looking things up on google and found threads with the answers here and I thought, why am I not a part of this wonderful group?! I've not been overly active yet, time constraints and all... and I'm 'trying' to spend more time IN my craft room, instead of online reading about stuff to do in it. haha

I started stamping years ago.. probably at least 15 or more. I mostly got away from it.. life got in the way, my daughter was busy with cheerleading and we showed horses.. but things have slowed down a lot... so I'm back at it. Some things have changed. A lot. Others, not so much. What I guess I'm trying to say is, I feel like I'm starting all over again. What kinds of inks to use with what kinds of markers... and even what kinds of inks to use with what kinds of stamps! Long ago, the clear stamps weren't anything like what they are now.. much more popular now.

Enjoy your time here... there's a wealth of information here! And wonderful people to deliver it.
Reply With Quote Likes