Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #81  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I want to testify:
The other day I was feeling very VERY low. And what comes in the mail? A HM thank you card from a pal I had sent some excess supplies to.

It SO lifted me up-I marched right off and got a lot of good work done. I have thanked her for it and told her how much it meant to me. And I thought of this thread but I was offline with a dead keyboard so I could not get back till now. Of course I will keep it forever.I will put it up in my space. If I didnt have room-well...if I can find file room for bills, I can for cards!

aka...it matters! People might not be great about saying thank you...we live in a fast world now. Getting a fast email is better than nothing. People are doing the work of 2-3 since 2008, trying to take care of families, dependent parents, etc. It's all rush rush rush now. I cant remember a time when I lay down and I think OMG...I didnt even know how tired I was like lately! Of course I am getting older too so my threshold is going down. Anyway, we live in a text world of bad grammar and crazy shortenings where it looks like phonics!

Dont worry about hearing back from people. For SURE it meant something to them. Dont forget there are a lot of people in the world who are not expressive in the first place-esp in the male category. You could make them a fantastic 10 course meal and they might go "Not horrible". :rolleyes:

We need to promote card giving! Give people sets of cards-they will probably use them if they have them! Once they get in the habit...well then they are ours! heh heh heh With so many paying bills online, if you want, include the stamps so they have NO excuse! We will push back and get em using cards!

Amber I will forever be in awe of you woman. That is a LOT of cards you are cranking out! And I KNOW they arent crappy ones! You almost knocked me out of my chair with the swim team story. Man I WISH I had a way to get thousands in like that! But you deserve it! You do some much for so many!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #82  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a great volunteer organization called Soldier's Angels. They provide all sorts of support to our troops, both deployed and at home. There is a Letter Writing Team which commits to writing to soldiers you are matched up with. It's a great outlet for your creativity as well as reaching out in support to our troops. I especially enjoy making cards and writing to soldiers....and they appreciate the thoughtfulness as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #83  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
You can make them as gifts. An all occasion card set is a great birthday or Christmas gift that allows the other person to save money, give beautiful cards, etc. all year long.

I do think people appreciate homemade cards, but I think in general people aren't as outwardly appreciative anymore about anything.
I am going to do this for Christmas gifts this year. Thanks for the suggestion!! If I start now, I will have a good set to give a few people on my wish list.

I'm excited to get started !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #84  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I am going to do this for Christmas gifts this year. Thanks for the suggestion!! If I start now, I will have a good set to give a few people on my wish list.

Clap! It is always a huge hit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post

I've been making sets of personalized note cards as Christmas gifts for all the gals in my family for the last couple of years. They all seem to love getting them. Here is the last set:

Christmas Gift - note card set by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I used a Cuttlebug owl embossing folder and printed the name with my computer. I lined the envelopes with a pretty grey print.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #86  
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As many have said before me, if you enjoy the process continue it!
I have boxed (about 6 shoeboxes) of cards, and I don't feel bad about it. I made a bunch of little boxes to hold about 10 cards and envelopes, and when I want to thank a business for their service I bring a box or 2 of cards. They have been very well received so far.
I gave about 25 thank you cards as a baby shower gift recently (I had forgotten about the shower and didn't have any other gift, and offered the cards knowing they would need them after the shower), and the recipient loved them!
I gave a retiring co-worker a box of cards and she was lukewarm about them, but hey. That is ok.
One of my old co-workers used to get all of her cards from me, then when we stopped working together, she didn't have easy access to my cards. Her son asked what happened to the great cards he used to get. This from a 20 something guy!
Just because we don't hear or see the enjoyment doesn't mean it isn't happening. Enjoy your creative time, keep the cards until you are done "petting" them, then send them on with peace in your heart
Stamp Review Crew member and creator Stamp set themed blog hops twice a month. Go check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #87  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have felt the same way for years and I'm so grateful that someone posted the "cards for a cause" link. My new mission is to send out cards every month to a different charity. I even got my 8 yr old in on the card making. I love to make cards, but often find I don't make them as often as I'd like because I don't want to have too many on hand. This is a great way to keep creating AND helping out some terrific causes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

My family and friends all seem to appreciate my cards, or at least if they don't, they are all really good at acting like they do. I'm sure many get tossed, too, but I get such great joy in creating and giving, that I have blocked that part from my mind. I have one friend who has saved every single card, and her granddaughter loves counting them to see how many "Paula Cards" her grandma has. She'll outgrow that, but in the meantime, it's a fun "game" for grandma and granddaughter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #89  
Matboard Maniac

Dear Rnruns 60......you have captured the essence of my feelings about cardmaking exactly. I have always done photo albums, then about 8 years ago got into cards. When I do something, I do it full on and stay with it forever......it seems.
I have other busy parts of my life and wonder why I just don't get rid of the whole hobby mess....who cares about a handmade card anyway. I like things neat and tidy at home and hobbies do not fall into that category. I got frustrated when I hopped on the multi layered stamp bandwagon. Then find I am not very good at lining things up, so I swear off those, although those Altenew layered stamp sets continually beckon me to try it again. I love the artistic side of stamping, although I can't draw a thing, but I have all the tools to make me feel artistic! I periodically store the Big Shot, dies, and other items in the attic trying to streamline to my tastes. Then you guessed it, I bring it all back down. I even stored all my embossing stuff upstairs because I don't like the warped cardstock from the heat tool, although I have read every tip on how to avoid that.
That being said, I have reached a happy compromise with myself. I love making cards. It is relaxing even after a hard day in second grade. I like clean, simple, single layered stamping.
Embossing stuff, die cutting, and punches to the attic. If I am not using, clear the clutter. I like stamps and ink and do not tire of simple tasteful cards.....with a bit of bling. I give sets of cards as gifts or to a cause which allows me to make lots of them without waste. A wonderful stamp and gorgeous ink does the job for me. Basically, streamline to my comfort level and not get into more than I can handle. I think you love it also; stay with it on the level you want to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #90  
Kookie Creator

This post was just what I needed to read tonight ! I haven't been here for some time now because I sort of lost my mojo on things. I used to scrap but am running out of room to put those books away. I also LOVED making cards and thought people really enjoyed them until my MIL told my DH that she and the rest of the family prefer store bought ones. For a few occasions he would go and buy them and I just couldn't bear seeing how much he was paying for them. Now..if they want store bought ones, I go to the dollar store and they can get one from there. I really miss working on cards but after I heard her critics I lost all my mojo on things. Reading this just gave me encouragement to find somewhere to send them ( besides just my family) and have other people enjoy my work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2016, 06:18 AM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I have no artistic talent at all, and very low self esteem. Started cardmaking being invited to a D.O.T.S. class (I think was the name). Later became a SU demonstrator. I probably have 1500 cards made in my spare bedroom closet all categorized. My husband is retired fire marshal and I have been sending cards to all of his retired co-workers for several years. When the retired"chief" personally calls to compliment the card, I get this letter stirring in my stomach and think, "wow, maybe I can do something out of cardstock and ink". I know he is genuinely sincere. Like so many of you I just love making them. Told my kids when I die you can set up a table at the funeral service and sell them to offset the cost of the funeral! Yeah, dry sense of humor. My husband even snuck in my room and made me a card to welcome me home from a trip I took with my girlfriend along with a bouquet of flowers. I sell a few here and there, but just keep making them. I love sending a card just because. I say don't be discouraged, take a little break from it but I need a hobby. We are both retired and it is my sanctuary away from everything else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #92  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklyngal62View Post
This post was just what I needed to read tonight ! I haven't been here for some time now because I sort of lost my mojo on things. I used to scrap but am running out of room to put those books away. I also LOVED making cards and thought people really enjoyed them until my MIL told my DH that she and the rest of the family prefer store bought ones. For a few occasions he would go and buy them and I just couldn't bear seeing how much he was paying for them. Now..if they want store bought ones, I go to the dollar store and they can get one from there. I really miss working on cards but after I heard her critics I lost all my mojo on things. Reading this just gave me encouragement to find somewhere to send them ( besides just my family) and have other people enjoy my work.
Two things here.
One: Remember, sometimes husbands condense things. Not sure what she might have said, but mine definitely takes things differently than I do sometimes, and then summarizes them with a very different spin than I would.
Second: what could she possibly like better about a store bought card? Having the price on the back to see how much you spent? Maybe the sentiment on the inside. I usually leave my homemade cards blank inside.
Send her the dollar store cards, and send everyone else your creations!
Reply With Quote Likes