Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Rhonda L and KMT 1000!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 04:06 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I've see a ton of new companies in the last few years. Altenew, Avery Elle, lawn fawn, Wplus9 and more have sprung up! They all offer lots of stamps and most offer dies for EVERY SET they make! The idea that manual die cutting is over makes me laugh!! No way! There are more dies now than ever before!
Yeah, I wanted to say this before - anyone who buys a Scan N Cut thinking they will never want/need to buy a die again is going to find that it isn't true. My Big Shot is still used every time I craft.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 04:41 AM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Not where I live! Just 40 minutes away is an AMAZING scrapbook store. They have been in business for 17 years and they are huge! I also have a stamp store about 30 minutes away that is also incredible with the nicest, most talented woman (it's been in business for at least 12 years because that is when I first went there). Both always have the latest and greatest and adapt their classes to what their customers want.
My husband's family are all back in and around Pittsburgh - could you tell me where the stamp store is? Is the scrapbook store in Butler, PA? I love that place, but since my sister moved I can't get to it as often. Darn it. I mostly have big box stores around me here in Ohio. The coolest place is Hollo's Papercraft (awesome for cheap card stock) in Brunswick, but it still takes me an hour to get there so I don't go often. But I wouldn't say I see the lack of stores as a decline in the craft itself, just a move towards more online shopping. There are SO many new companies it would be hard for a store to keep the latest and greatest in stock all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #44  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,389 Likes on 520 Posts

Yes, I am talking about Scrapbook SuperStation in Butler. Love it!

The stamp store is called Stamp Fanciand it is in West View, just off 279 taking the West View exit. The store is small but PACKED, I mean PACKED, with stuff. It is like a treasure hunt in there. The web site is not very sophisticated or well-designed but it does provide the basic information to get there and lists the classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 04:56 AM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

The stamp store is called Stamp Fanciand it is in West View, just off 279 taking the West View exit. The store is small but PACKED, I mean PACKED, with stuff. It is like a treasure hunt in there. The web site is not very sophisticated or well-designed but it does provide the basic information to get there and lists the classes.
YAY! Thanks! That is totally awesome - it's less than 5 miles from my Nana-in-law!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I think crafting like all industries goes through phases of main stream popularity and scrapbooking/card making may be going into a quiet phase so to speak. 'Die hard' fans will remain loyal and encourage others to try it, and over time it will become the 'in thing' again.

All I do know is that if you were to look in my craft room if the apocalypse happened and all the crafting stores closed, I would be good for about 150 years!

I personally take every opportunity to encourage people to use their artistic side, in whatever form that is. I am the person who gives children makers, crayons, colour pencils, jewelry making sets, car modeling sets ...anything to get their imaginations running, and their brains expanding at all the possibilities!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #47  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I personally take every opportunity to encourage people to use their artistic side, in whatever form that is. I am the person who gives children makers, crayons, colour pencils, jewelry making sets, car modeling sets ...anything to get their imaginations running, and their brains expanding at all the possibilities!
Bless your heart! It saddens me to see such small children glued to electronic devices. My kids were small before all of that existed/became used widely, so when we travelled or waited for appointments, we colored and played simple games and read books. Now they are teens and have iPods (none of us has a cell phone) and they do take those everywhere but they take a book also. Oh, and my middle daughter LOVES to draw, and my oldest likes to design and decorate. So bless you for the great good you are doing in encouraging imaginative and creative play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Although kids do use electronics all the time, in those cases you can suggest certain YouTube channels that encourage artsy things and are family friendly. I suggest the Frugal Crafter for kids because I know there will be no objectionable material on it and she does a variety of arts and crafts and uses all kinds of art supplies, from kids stuff to real art supplies.

I think this can bridge the divide between electronic-driven kids and encouraging them to actually do the crafting.

In a way, I think that the over-abundance of electronics makes art even more fulfilling to kids of all ages. They just need the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Yeah, I wanted to say this before - anyone who buys a Scan N Cut thinking they will never want/need to buy a die again is going to find that it isn't true. My Big Shot is still used every time I craft.
So True- I bought a Silhouette Cameo a couple of years ago . I thought I would use it more than I do. I still like and buy the metal dies . Except for Christmas cards I do not make multiple cards of the same design so an electronic cutter isn't a time saver for me . Plus I am spoiled to the embossed look of Spellbinder dies so any others including the electronically cut images look flat and unfinished

A friend was making trees for her doll houses and wanted 1,000 miniature leaves in 4 different types. I cut those on the Cameo .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 01:34 PM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, I use my SNC a lot, it was well worth it for me. I always feel weird when people comment on my cards and mention the amazing fussy cutting ;)! I have to start listing the SNC in the "accessories" field. For a while I was putting it in my descriptions.

But I still buy dies and I still use my Big Shot all the time. I never expected either machine to fulfill every cutting need. The two overlap but, more importantly, they compliment each other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I SO miss Stamp Fanci! I had to move this summer, and I have not found a replacement in the greater Western Chicago suburbs. The ladies that run the shop are the sweetest. Margie was always so friendly and helpful. I used to tell her that I wanted to be her when I grew up.

In my two years living in 'da Burgh, I never did make it up to the scrapbook place in Butler. Looks like we'll have to make a road trip back to visit next year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I SO miss Stamp Fanci! I had to move this summer, and I have not found a replacement in the greater Western Chicago suburbs.
Hi MaryRose, I live in the western suburbs of Chicago too. We used to have quite a few stamping stores. Over the past 5 years they have closed, though. Really the only one left that I know of is Peddlers Den (just moved to Morris IL). Tonya owns and runs it. She is a great person and still does some classes. She carries a broad Stampscapes line too. It's a bit of a drive (1 hour for me) but Morris is a cute little town to browse stores, etc so it can be a destination trip. There's also Creative Cards and Crafts in Villa Park, IL. They do classes too. In-store inventory is limited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #53  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
So True- I bought a Silhouette Cameo a couple of years ago . I thought I would use it more than I do. I still like and buy the metal dies . Except for Christmas cards I do not make multiple cards of the same design so an electronic cutter isn't a time saver for me . Plus I am spoiled to the embossed look of Spellbinder dies so any others including the electronically cut images look flat and unfinished

A friend was making trees for her doll houses and wanted 1,000 miniature leaves in 4 different types. I cut those on the Cameo .
I have a Spellbinder addiction, and I love the intricate, embossed cuts they give. But I have started using my Cameo to create my sentiments. I can type the sentiment in, change the fonts and wrap or warp the words, then size it to fit into a fancy label die (or just pop it into a cut file) and it is perfect. It is also printed on a laser printer, so I can foil the sentiment. Like this flexibility and I'm not stuck with storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #54  
Crimping Master

I think the cost of the dies and stamps will drive a lot of people to go digital and electronic in the future. Stamps have gotten so expensive and most are made in China out of cheap materials (don't last as long as good quality rubber does). Dies have gotten expensive, and now most are thin aluminum thinletes that don't last as long. At these prices, most can't afford to buy the SM and LG die set, or Set A and Set B.

Combine this with the electronic savvy youth (who face a harder employment environment than I did coming out of college) and the fact that people just don't mail cards any more (all my friends email me or call), I foresee card making to trend down. There will always be hard core card makers who have been doing this for years, or the artists who will need the creative outlet, but 'homemade' will fall out of style and many will move on to other hobbies. It's a cycle.

Die cutting will remain because it can be used in so many different crafts. From s/b, card making, craft fair items, quilting, vinyl, home decor, to paper quilling. Especially an electronic die cutter because of the 12x12 cutting surface. But I do see more of it moving towards electronic/computerized platforms in the future, and more brick and mortar stores closing. With the internet giving us the best possible price nation (world) wide, how can a mom and pop compete in the long run?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2015, 08:05 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
The scrapbooking "fad" will not go gently, if my experience is any indication. My local camera store recently hired me to do photo-specific crafts with their customers, in an effort to urge Millennials to get their photos off their phones- preferably convince them to buy a legit camera. As I did my research, I realized that these kids are scrapping the way I did when I was in my teens. (I'm 57). They pull stuff out of magazines, they splash paint on the pages, trace the bottoms of cups, do rubbings with coins and even tombstones. They use what they have laying around the house and pick up stuff on their travels- napkins, news headlines, maps. They do not spend money on embellishments and papers, they glue together composition book pages and they are ready to go! They don't care if they rip or cut by hand, they don't like that nicey-nicey fussy cutting that drove all of us crazy. I think these kids are so comfortable with digital that they prefer die cutting machines like the Brother Scan n Cut, so they don't have to buy dies- it's all about the money! So the scrapbooking hobby is going strong, we are just clinging to an outdated and very expensive way of participating. I adore my rubber stamps, have been collecting for many years and have hundreds. Hello- how many flowers do you actually need? So I am not buying that much anymore, but I am certainly using what I have. And I am teaching card classes that are filling up, selling kits at the classes that are selling out. I guess it's the SHOPPING that's ending, not the MAKING.
THIS makes me love those millenials like nothing else I've heard about them has...
AND - that last comment makes me love EVERYONE more!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post
Although kids do use electronics all the time, in those cases you can suggest certain YouTube channels that encourage artsy things and are family friendly. I suggest the Frugal Crafter for kids because I know there will be no objectionable material on it and she does a variety of arts and crafts and uses all kinds of art supplies, from kids stuff to real art supplies.

I think this can bridge the divide between electronic-driven kids and encouraging them to actually do the crafting.

In a way, I think that the over-abundance of electronics makes art even more fulfilling to kids of all ages. They just need the opportunity.
LOVE this! And your user name makes me smile all over my face...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 02:36 AM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I SO miss Stamp Fanci! I had to move this summer, and I have not found a replacement in the greater Western Chicago suburbs. The ladies that run the shop are the sweetest. Margie was always so friendly and helpful. I used to tell her that I wanted to be her when I grew up.

In my two years living in 'da Burgh, I never did make it up to the scrapbook place in Butler. Looks like we'll have to make a road trip back to visit next year!
Funny....my local stamp store in historic downtown La Crosse, WI is owned by a Margie too. That store is crammed full too! She also has a gifts on the other side of the store. I think that has helped her stay in business all these years. This stamp store has a monthly stamp club group that meets in member's condo a block away. It's been fun and interesting being part of this group!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #58  
Compulsive Stamper

Newbie here. Also Millennial (on the older spectrum of 'millennial'-- into the 30's).

And a complete newbie here -- looking to get into card making as I'm a fan of snail mail, value the written sentiment over email, and have a hard time finding what I'm looking for (especially for Christmas cards and other holidays), and have enjoyed card making in my past (youth). I love Postcrossing.

Many comments resonated with me here and I'd like to offer some additional thoughts.

Many millennials are having a hard time getting jobs, especially if they are graduating from college with student loan debt. Where I live, it's often necessary to get a graduate degree to compete in the workforce (=more debt, more time spent in school). Millennials are also delayed in getting married, having children, and the "norm" of growth (I only mailed out one wedding card this year). Some 15% are living at home; according to an excellent Slate article, "marriage rates have declined most among Americans who never went to college, that same group among whom living with parents is commonest and has grown fastest."

Those Millennials not living with parents in general favor city-living, and there has been an uptick in such rates, and with that comes less space, and often increased rent (although with public transit and walkable communities the need for a car diminishes).

Millennials are more likely to purchase or value something that is handmade, locally sourced/produced, has a story with it, etc. I think about handcrafted chocolate bars and truffles, cards (letterpress cards locally made are a favorite here), items purchased on Etsy (nearly every party/gathering I go to someone discusses Etsy or points out something in their home from Etsy).

As for me, I can't find stamping classes in my city (besides an occasional Paper Source event that are often centered around weddings, etc). I don't know where or how to get started. I'm searching online for advice on the basics. There appears to be classes in surrounding communities, but I don't own a car (never owned one) and these locations are not transit-accessible.

I live in a "large" 800-sq ft one bedroom apartment with my husband and need to consider space needed to store items (beyond just the stamping, but everything -- Christmas decorations, etc.). I think about, "If I put it away and it's hard to access, will I actually use X-item" before I buy things like stamps. I try not to be consumeristic and my apartment size helps me with that, as well as not owning a car (think about going grocery shopping without a car). That may then stifle the ability to be creative with a craft like card making (not being able to own/have various tools, ribbon, etc. because of space). I consider that designing a card I want (either via a company or on my own via picmonkey or canva, etc) online and having it printed may be better. I can even get a custom design started for as little as $5 on fiverr, and have commissioned items on fiverr with great satisfaction.

As for card making supplies, I recently came across Stampin Up, and it seems promising in that I can order online (no Joann, Michaels, etc. here except for Paper Source), and I like the coordinating aspects (stamps work with the die, paper colors work with inks...otherwise, how would I know if things coordinated if I order online? Perhaps I can, I just honestly don't know at this stage).

I'm frankly a bit disappointed in the stamps that I'm seeing. I see many flowers. Too many flowers. I want more relevant and better designs (i.e. relevant to my life).

Just some thoughts. I'm sure I have others. :-)

I'm glad that I found this forum.

PS -- As for scrapbooking I can only offer my thoughts: Since my youth I never understood the desire to scrapbook. Too time consuming. I didn't understand all of the embellishments. There is now social media, which has perhaps assisted with the decline. But I know a fair share of people getting their Instagram images printed and framing them, and putting them on their wall. I also know people that make yearly books out of their FB posts/images (there are companies out there that do that). I get a groovebook photobook at Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #59  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateInDCView Post
Newbie here. Also Millennial (on the older spectrum of 'millennial'-- into the 30's).

I'm glad that I found this forum.

Welcome Kate! I'm happy you are here! Your comments are so interesting to me. I had a retreat in the fall, and a lovely young lady that I'd never met before came to it - she lives in San Francisco. She has searched high and low for people having stamping events, classes, etc. and she says that she is the only person in her age group that crafts. She, too, has a Paper Source that she sometimes goes to classes at, but she says that the other attendees are in their NINETIES! So she came all the way to Texas for a crafty weekend. So I wonder if there's a difference in the larger cities - your space comment made me wonder if just everything about that lifestyle makes it a little tougher. Although Claudine Hellmuth lives in a teeny apartment in DC - her crafty space amazes me to this day.

Anyway - I'm happy you're here and look forward to getting to know you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

As for card making supplies, I recently came across Stampin Up, and it seems promising in that I can order online (no Joann, Michaels, etc. here except for Paper Source), and I like the coordinating aspects (stamps work with the die, paper colors work with inks...otherwise, how would I know if things coordinated if I order online? Perhaps I can, I just honestly don't know at this stage).

I'm frankly a bit disappointed in the stamps that I'm seeing. I see many flowers. Too many flowers. I want more relevant and better designs (i.e. relevant to my life).
Welcome Kate! I also love snail mail and other online mail projects (have you seen the American artist on Etsy who lives in Paris and sends out an illustrated letter every month to subscribers? Swoon.)

I started out on my crafting journey with Stampin' Up, and I think their stamps, paper and embellishments are the highest quality. I also think their designers are some of the best I've ever seen. What types of stamps are you looking for? People here just love to hunt down stamps for other people so I think you'll find a lot of help if you give us an idea :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #61  
Crimping Master

Excellent points regarding the latest trend of Tiny Homes. I live in the Bay Area, and can attest to the demand for this in the near future. The younger generations have learned not to buy into the 'American Dream' of debt and home ownership and consumerism. I've noticed in my areas that they are on board with living in apartments/homes that are 600-900 square feet and paying for it up front - they do not want mortgages. They are looking for alternative life choices, and they want it debt free. Out of all the generations that went through the financial melt down, they seem to have walked away with the greatest mind set changes. Interesting...

I know the rents are so crazy here, people have a roommate to fill every room, no storage areas, and every square foot has to do double duty - paper crafting rarely fits into the idea of living life on a postage stamp. Not unless you turn it into a major revenue generator (and I've seen a small percentage of people do that here).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #62  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post
As for the San Francisco person� have you tried MeetUp? I'm in Santa Rosa (north bay) and we have a number of art based groups up here. I can't imagine that the Bay Area doesn't as well. Also our local real/professional art store offers classes nearly every day of the week, and plenty of demos (most of them free not oil painting either). These are a great way to meet people and try out different things. Finally I've met some great teachers through local art co-ops and community art centers, as well as going to open studio events. And if you don't know there are several centers for reuse in the Bay Area, one in Oakland and one in S.F.. The trick with finding community is to not give up. I've gone long distance for workshops and conventions, but my best experiences have been right here at home.
There are a ton of meetup groups for paper arts/card making. 98% of them are SU demos drumming up business though. Few card making groups with a 'no selling' rule start a meetup group unfortunately. But there are so many art centers, studios and craft fairs - hard to throw a stick and not hit one though.

You are right. There are a ton of art communities for people to tap into in the Bay Area, especially north and south of Silicon Valley (the fringes ;-)). I can't imagine someone thinking they had to go to Texas...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #63  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

We have oodles of crafty Meetups here - there's actually a really great mixed media one in Dallas, and lots of general crafting and paper crafting meetups in Austin.

If you want to make cards - try searching handmade cards on meetup - sometimes the search terms make a big difference.

You could also just start one - I've found Meetup to be amazing and I've met so many papercrafting friends there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #64  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Welcome Kate! I also love snail mail and other online mail projects (have you seen the American artist on Etsy who lives in Paris and sends out an illustrated letter every month to subscribers? Swoon.)

I started out on my crafting journey with Stampin' Up, and I think their stamps, paper and embellishments are the highest quality. I also think their designers are some of the best I've ever seen. What types of stamps are you looking for? People here just love to hunt down stamps for other people so I think you'll find a lot of help if you give us an idea :p
Hi again, and Merry Christmas (the reason I was away)!

I'm not sure the etiquette on responding; if I respond to each post I'm interested in, or in one general to everyone who replied to me (or if I can include multiple quotes, I'm new on forums too!).

Thanks Poppy. I have a list of stamps that I'd like, but in all fairness, I have spent almost no time searching for them and it wouldn't be kind to dump it all here. I'm trying to come up with a word that describes what I'm looking for. I've realized that it's not the flowers so much as the embellishments. Now watching some videos, I realize that some designers add ribbon, twine, dots, and whatnot when I think that is too much. Perhaps the word I'm looking for is refined (or uncomplicated-looking (as it could be complicated to make).

After writing my comment I came upon another company and I thought that some of their designs were relevant to my life or urban living: a muse studio. I really like their "Bowties are cool" stamp/framelit (it's a quotation from my favorite TV show). Their Sherlock set is something also relevant to my generation, my career, etc. But overall, Stampin Up seems to have their act together more (just based on my purview of the catalog).

With everything that I need to honestly get started (and not just piecemeal with things from PaperSource like I have been), I'm thinking of joining as a demonstrator to get started in the right direction.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #65  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, everyone for your encouragement and thoughts!

I never heard of Claudine Hellmuth, thank you for sharing that, Lydia. I briefly looked her up and was surprised that indeed she is in DC with a two-bedroom apartment. While I didn't see her crafting space, I'm encouraged to know that others.

@SkyBlueSky: I'm not from SF, but did look up Meetup. The nearest handmade cards/stamping meetup is more than 50-miles away, and depending on traffic, 1.5hrs away if I had a car. Does this mean that there is a potential desire for meetups here where I live? I don't know either way. Obviously Paper Source is successful, they are located in what is the most expensive neighborhood for retail rent in my city, but I've been shopping at Paper Source for 5+ years before I even branched out and found others. Are other city-dwellers looking for community, classes, workshops, meetups? I'm seriously considering starting a meetup and seeing if it works!

And to all ladies overall: I did some brief research and went to a website (not sure if I can reference websites) that employees post their salary info and review of the company. Based on reviewing that for full-time employees at Stampin Up, it appears that in the past two years the employees have been worried. Many of them state that the industry is in decline, there have been RIFs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 07:51 AM   #66  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Excellent points regarding the latest trend of Tiny Homes. I live in the Bay Area, and can attest to the demand for this in the near future. The younger generations have learned not to buy into the 'American Dream' of debt and home ownership and consumerism. I've noticed in my areas that they are on board with living in apartments/homes that are 600-900 square feet and paying for it up front - they do not want mortgages.
Yes! To emphasize this: my brother and sister-in-law have done just that. They live on the West Coast, saved up money, and paid for a home outright. They qualified for a more expensive home (with more space) but decided that they didn't want that. The realtor was disappointed and tried her best to sway them into something bigger and more expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #67  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Thanks Poppy. I have a list of stamps that I'd like, but in all fairness, I have spent almost no time searching for them and it wouldn't be kind to dump it all here. I'm trying to come up with a word that describes what I'm looking for. I've realized that it's not the flowers so much as the embellishments. Now watching some videos, I realize that some designers add ribbon, twine, dots, and whatnot when I think that is too much. Perhaps the word I'm looking for is refined (or uncomplicated-looking (as it could be complicated to make).
Sounds like what you're describing is CAS (Clean and Simple). If you Google that, you will come up with a wide variety of styles under that definition, but you'll see a lot of bold and graphic designs without a lot of layering, embellishments or bling (I'm somewhat allergic to that myself :-)).

I've discovered that those are often done by card makers who also have an art or graphic design degree. Our own Lydia (UnderstandBlue) makes beautiful clean and simple cards. Kristina Werner is another one; so is May Park.

If you search for the keyword "CAS" here, you will come up with a lot of clean and simple card challenges, and if you click on the individual challenge forum links, you will find card makers posting links to their respective galleries with a supplies list used to make those cards, which is another rabbit hole to go down :-) I have discovered a lot of great techniques and stamp sets that way.

Clean and Simple Cards - Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #68  
Mad Swapper

I started in scrapbooking. But have to say I am from a crafty family. Way back when my mom, my aunt, and myself had a applique business. We did craft shows every weekend almost. Craft shows aren't what they used to be. I went from scrapbooking to stamping. My sister opened a stamp store and I worked for her. She is much more art based. She closed and I kept up with the stamping. I love to stamp! I have a large bar room full of supplies. Do I buy more? Yes! It has headed me more toward artsy end. There is still a group of us that get together and stamp and scrap. We have a couple of gals that host crops but really people come and do any crafts.I still love to do demos and teach so they are more than happy to let me do that. I sell my cards at a local Co-op Shoppe. I am also able to sell supplies there. As I know I will not be using stuff again I put it up for sale there. I also sell my cards at dog shows. I donate card baskets to whoever needs them for fund raisers. I am taking on-line classes for watercolor right now. I shop on-line. Do I think cardmaking is trending down? No, but maybe that is because I am still active in local stamping activities. Are the isles at chain stores getting smaller? Yes, but there is so much on-line that can't be purchased in a chain store. We have one place left about an hour from me. Do I make that trip? No. Why? I find the shop to be unfriendly. I think if you can go to a class with a CTMH, SU, or FSJ you can meet people who love what you love in your area. And the ones in my area embrace all companies and walks of life. We are all just as excited about cardmaking and stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #69  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Not much of a card maker

I don't really make tons of cards because I don't know what to do with them afterwards. I don't mail or hand out cards to many people. I do scrapbook and do some paper crafts. I try to go to stamping and scrap booking events for socializing. My SU demo has her events in the morning but I work and cannot attend. All she does is cards anyway. I do love the cards even if I don't use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #70  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jckidView Post
I don't really make tons of cards because I don't know what to do with them afterwards. I don't mail or hand out cards to many people. I do scrapbook and do some paper crafts. I try to go to stamping and scrap booking events for socializing. My SU demo has her events in the morning but I work and cannot attend. All she does is cards anyway. I do love the cards even if I don't use them.
An idea to perhaps help with brainstorming on the afterwards part - I like to send little cards or notes to friends at times when I think of them. Something to along the lines of, "I thought of you while watching the last debate..." or "I had a flashback when we were..."

I also like to give cards at Christmas to those living on my floor (I live in an apartment building) as a way to help build community. When new people move in next-door I welcome then with a card too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome to SCS, KateInDC!
If you do buy from Stampin Up!, I would recommend buying white embellishments and coloring them with ink pad or markers. This would include ribbon, rhinestones, pearls, brads, etc. I had to had every color of ribbons, eyelets, brads when I started; and I still have a lot of those ribbons, eyelets, brads 13 years later!!
At convention one year a breakout presenter said "How many Halloween sets do you really need?" Her point was to select your stamp sets carefully. Pick ones your really like and will use. I think of that phrase every time I look through the catalog.
I also keep a wish list of everything I would like to buy. Then I start eliminating things I only "thought" I wanted. But it gave me a chance to dream that I could have it all.
Good Luck with your journey and Happy Stampin'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #72  
Crimping Master

If you enjoy scrapping, have a place to store those big books, and your kids want them handed down I think that is great. Digi scrapping seems to be growing. I chose cardmaking because I was already a stamper and I like to work small. I like that cards get given away. They can be sent to friends, family, etc. I make get well cards for an organization and I am looking into taking batches of cards to nursing homes because some residents don't have family and enjoy getting a card they can put on their side table. I have learned that if you make a bunch of birthday cards, the staff can sign them and give them to residents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2023, 07:19 AM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an avid Scrapbooker 12x12, I am finding it very difficult to find dies large enough to show beautifully on 12x12 lo. I lost all my beautiful fonts and ex. large spellbinder dies, I cannot find a single large Spellbinder die or the 12x12 border dies. very sad :( There is plenty out there for card making and smaller scrap pages. I need a variety 2" fonts and Numbers.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
hoptownracer1 (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 09:56 AM   #74  
Inking Addict

Received 83 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm just noticing that most of these comments are from 2015/2016. Wondering how everyone feels about the industry now, almost 10 years later?

Shipping to US only.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
hoptownracer1 (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 09:59 AM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know if other people are stamping more or less, BUT I have noticed a LOT of stamps showing up in thrift stores! So new stampers can easily get into stamping for very cheap!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by SophieLaFontaine:
Arlene_C (09-26-2023), hoptownracer1 (09-26-2023), VeronaSue (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 11:14 AM   #76  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate0908View Post
I'm just noticing that most of these comments are from 2015/2016. Wondering how everyone feels about the industry now, almost 10 years later?
From my perspective, the industry seems to be doing well. I know of more stamp companies now than I did 10 years ago. My local scrapbook store is still in business and thriving. My card classes at my library fill up quickly and have wait lists - over and over I hear how much they've always wanted to learn to make cards and now that they are, their friends and family love receiving them.
The human need for beauty, art, creativity, and community will never go away and as long as those things can be found in the stamping and paper craft realms, these arts will continue on.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by cnsteele:
fl_beachbum (10-08-2023), JoBear2 (09-26-2023), Renata Joyner (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM   #77  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I don't know if other people are stamping more or less, BUT I have noticed a LOT of stamps showing up in thrift stores! So new stampers can easily get into stamping for very cheap!
It's my opinion that many long-time stampers of 15-20+ years simply have far more stamps & supplies than they can use now. For example, we were inspired by many friends' creations to buy what they used as well as whatever we liked for ourselves. Browse through the SCS galleries to see the plethora of inspiration pieces, i.e. enabling by friends.

Now, one by one we're starting to 'let go' through donating, selling, etc. Since the monies spent will rarely come close to the monies gained in selling old beloved stamps, many can be found in garage sales & Goodwill stores. But those departures from stamping rooms do make room for "more" to come for some of us. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by TexasGrammy:
Arlene_C (09-26-2023), Benzi (10-06-2023), ChrisO (10-02-2023), fl_beachbum (10-08-2023), Renata Joyner (09-26-2023), VeronaSue (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #78  

Received 852 Likes on 280 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindancer63View Post
As an avid Scrapbooker 12x12, I am finding it very difficult to find dies large enough to show beautifully on 12x12 lo. I lost all my beautiful fonts and ex. large spellbinder dies, I cannot find a single large Spellbinder die or the 12x12 border dies. very sad :( There is plenty out there for card making and smaller scrap pages. I need a variety 2" fonts and Numbers.
Have you tried looking into Creative Memories? The have quite a few punches available to make nice borders. Some are themed and some are general purpose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2023, 01:19 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindancer63View Post
If it's in your budget, perhaps consider a Cricut or similar machine? (The Cricut Joy is small and a better price point than most.) You'll be able to type out any title you want and choose from the fonts on your computer. You can download free images or create your own borders, too.

Reply With Quote Likes