Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Design Teams: How does it work?

Hello. I have a couple questions about how Design Teams work.... I have three absolute favorite companies and at some point I would love to be a designer for them.

So, here are a couple questions I have....
I know we have a forum here for some design calls, but what if the Company you want doesn't post on here?
How much blog traffic do they typically require?
Are there typically other things they're looking for?
If you sign on to be a designer for one specific company, does that mean you can no longer showcase cards using other companies stamps on your blogs?

Thanks in advance and sorry to be so clueless!
Kim
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

The simple answer is probably "They're all different" I'm afraid!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimzkardzView Post
I know we have a forum here for some design calls, but what if the Company you want doesn't post on here?
Not all companies have open calls - they may invite specific designers onto their team after seeing their work on blogs, online galleries etc. If you suspect any of the companies you like fall into that category, it's probaby best to join their company forum/gallery if they have one, join in some challenges if they do them and make yourself a familiar face - no guarantees though!

For those who do make calls, they'll do it as publically as they can to get a good spread of responses so keep an eye on their blogs, Twitter feeds or Facebook pages for announcements.

Quote:

How much blog traffic do they typically require?
Most just want an active blog, I've never seen anybody asking for viewing statistics. They may also want you to be on Facebook or Twitter or forums such as this one - again, they're all different!

Quote:

If you sign on to be a designer for one specific company, does that mean you can no longer showcase cards using other companies stamps on your blogs?
I'm sure you're getting a pattern by now but... it depends on the company! Some will ask you to be "exclusive" in terms of being on the DT (so you can't join other DTs at the same time or accept promotional product from other companies) but I think it's very unusual for anyone to place a ban on you showing projects you've made "just for fun" using other product. I know SU! demonstrators had particular rules but I think even those have been relaxed fairly recently.

Quote:

Are there typically other things they're looking for?
If you search the forum, you'll find lots of discussions about being on a DT. Many companies are looking to create a team with variety and balance to showcase their stamps being used in ways that show them as versatile products so what they're looking for at any given time can be very difficult to nail down as it depends partly what's on offer!

Hope something there helps and good luck getting a DT you'd like to be on at some point!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Most DTs want a blog (and social media) that is well visited to showcase their product as much as possible.

Some companies host DT guest spots for a month -- Gina K does and it is such a great idea to give a wide variety of folks a chance. I love Gina...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I was on a DT for about 2 years and the store I designed for required me to:

1. Have an active blog and when I wrote up blog posts, I had to include links to their products at their online store that I used for my projects. I had to have step-by-step, detailed instructions. Even if I didn't love a particular product that I was sent, I had to be professional and positive about it in my write-ups. I also had to post my projects to their Store Gallery - again with a write-up and had to have all the appropriate links.

2. I had to take excellent, high quality photos of my projects, including being able to take close-ups of eg: to highlight a new brad that the store had available on their website. Fantastic photos are an absolute MUST! Dull, blurry photos that have something distracting in the background were totally unacceptable.

2. I did not keep any cards that I made for them as this store was also a 'bricks and mortar' store so I had to post my cards to them. This store went to all the Crafts Shows and my cards were on display at their booths as well as in their actual store.

3. I was only allowed to use current products eg: designer paper from 2 years ago or a retired Cuttlebug embossing folder was a BIG no-no.

4. I was expected to meet deadlines without fail (unless you were in an accident or something tragic happens) - no excuses about having the flu or the kids are sick.

5. Be committed. Even if you feel undervalued or it isn't as much fun as what you thought and want to bail before your 6 months (or whatever term you have signed up for) is up, you stay for the whole term to keep your reputation intact and to maintain good relations within the cardmaking community and just move on.

6. When other DT members blogged their projects and posted them to the store's online gallery, I was required to leave comments on all of them. When they ran a customer competition through the Store's online gallery, I was also required to leave comments on customer's projects as a matter of courtesy.

7. My cards had to be beautifully presented: layers that were cut evenly, ribbons tied neatly (and no frayed ends), no blobs of glue showing or smudged sentiments etc.

Sometimes I would receive a product that I would stare at for days thinking "What am I going to do with that?" with a deadline looming which wasn't always easy when Mr Mojo had gone for a walk and I had a nasty cold and been up all night with a sick child! BTW, I was not allowed to promote any other stores whilst designing for my store so removed links to my (other) favourite online stores from my blog.

When I was approached by the store to see if I was interested in trying out for their DT (I had been sharing my cards in their online gallery for about 2 years), I thought that it would be fun to receive free products and it felt exciting (and it was such a happy surprise!) to be asked and did end up designing for them for 2 years, I felt like I "lost myself" in the process and didn't have enough time to make cards for friends and family because I was always meeting the store's deadline plus my extra duties of commenting and the blog write-ups with links were very time-consuming. I forgot who I was as a blogger and what I was blogging for and it wasn't fun anymore. Of course, that's not the store's fault - it was mine - and now I am just enjoying my crafting and blogging and being "me". I am not trying to put you off: I am just sharing what I discovered and I am sure there are many others who have plenty of wisdom to share on this thread.

Last edited by JoBear2; 06-17-2014 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: duplication of words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jocelyn- thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed, well thought out response. I so appreciate it. You give me a lot to think about for sure. Thanks for your honesty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Some great points from Jocelyn. I'm going to pick up on a couple of them if that's OK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
2. I did not keep any cards that I made for them as this store was also a 'bricks and mortar' store so I had to post my cards to them. This store went to all the Crafts Shows and my cards were on display at their booths as well as in their actual store.
This is a great example of how companies are different. When I served on a stamp manufacturer's DT, all DT projects were ours to keep if we wanted them. That meant that it was usually possible to "double up" (make your mum's birthday card, brother's anniversary card etc and photograph it for the gallery/blog as a DT piece). They loved it if we did choose to send them the things we made (they got sent out to stores with wholesale orders) but there was no obligation. Samples for shows were done by arrangement. That kind of distinction is certainly worth bearing in mind when you're looking at DT commitments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
3. I was only allowed to use current products eg: designer paper from 2 years ago or a retired Cuttlebug embossing folder was a BIG no-no.
This is almost certainly the case for manufacturer and shop DTs - they want samples that customers could reproduce. For stamp manufacturers there may be an extra restriction too in that they may want you to use things that are available retail (so if you have a big collection of SU! inks for example, those may not be useful to you on DT pieces). If it's a stamp company that also has its own range of inks and papers etc, you may be required to use only those. If you like to mix and match, be aware that if you join a manufacturer's DT, you're unlikely to be able to do that. Making a card and then saying "oooh, I have the perfect sentiment for that space" is going to be frustrating if that sentiment is from another stamp maker and you can't use it!

It's also worth bearing in mind that although you get pre-release stuff and it's always fun to play with that, it's not really "free" - you have a commitment to make a certain amount of things with it so it's really payment for work. I guess if you get to keep what you make and use it for your own purposes it may feel a less like "work" since you'll often be making things you'd have made anyway but there is still the obligation to factor in. You will almost certainly have to add things from your own stash to make projects so there's a cost involved if you're brutally realistic about it (although many DTs offer a discount for supplies from their online store so you may be able to soften the impact of that).

From your OP it sounds as though you're interested in manufacturer DTs - take a critical look at what their current DT members are using on their projects, thinking about the source of all the elements, and you can probably figure out what kind of restrictions might apply.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I always agree with Joanne! And Jocelyn's experience is actually pretty common. When I find that I'm on a team just for the benefits and my heart is no longer in the process, it's time to let someone else take my place.

This is going to be a little random, because I need a protein snack... and my thoughts are many!

I love working with product DTs (paper, embellishments, supplies, ribbon etc) because of the freedom to combine challenges and use any stamp images I choose.

If companies are wanting you to be exclusive, they should be up front about that when you apply. Some DT applications will ask how many other teams you are on, and will take that number into consideration, not for experience, but for your ability to focus on their requirements in particular.

I know of one company that would not allow their designers to post cards from other companies during release week.

Manufacturers will have different policies for completed cards. On teams I've been on, some required a certain number of cards to be sent for booth samples (postage paid). Others allowed me to keep my cards. Still others offered compensation ($$) for cards I chose to send in.

Another thought on product, and this is something you'll have to decide for yourself... some companies allow you to choose the product or stamp images you would like to work with. Other companies will require you to work with an entire release or selection of products that they choose. On one DT, I was obligated to work with product that I didn't really care for, and would never have purchased for myself. I ended up leaving that team, because that situation made me uncomfortable.

Remember that many designers represent companies in an industry, and as with any industry with a 'ladder' to climb, sometimes good experience can be found at the bottom, and you don't often enter at the top. Slow and steady climbing, personal goals, genuineness, and hard work will be your friends. The companies that I work with make products and stamps that I would buy happily without obligation. Companies love to see you loving their products and making their images shine, without the feeling that you're trying to get something free in return. If your heart is in your work, it will show.

Build relationships first.

Hope that makes sense!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wanted to add that some stamp companies no longer send their DT the actual rubber stamp for the new releases. I was on a team where we were emailed the images. Especially at the beginning, I spent more time wrestling with file formats and jammed printers than creatively. Also I found it very limiting to what techniques I could do. At the end of each month we could pick free product and we also got a discount on everything in their catalog.

I stayed for two terms but finally left because I did not enjoy working with the electronic images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow ladies. So much great information and so many things I would have never considered. Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Joanne aka Angelnorth's comment re needing to add things to your stash is so right. I remember receiving a CD of Vintage Christmas images from the store I designed for and was required to (obviously) print out some of the images and make some Christmas cards. Only problem was was that I had no idea how to make Vintage cards let alone have any Vintage Christmas papers or embellishments suited to that type of card. I remember my Craft Room floor being covered in stash that I had pulled out trying desperately to get something that matched the images from the CD but the colours on these images were very difficult to match papers because there was lots of a muted teal colour and muted burgundy! I had a very short deadline because this was in November and I was in a panic! I ended up purchasing quite alot of papers, buttons, ribbons and some dies to make my cards. Now I was happy with what I made in the end and I learned alot - but I reckon the cards cost me $50+:eek:

Last edited by JoBear2; 06-20-2014 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: left out a word
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
I wanted to add that some stamp companies no longer send their DT the actual rubber stamp for the new releases. I was on a team where we were emailed the images. Especially at the beginning, I spent more time wrestling with file formats and jammed printers than creatively. Also I found it very limiting to what techniques I could do. At the end of each month we could pick free product and we also got a discount on everything in their catalog.

I stayed for two terms but finally left because I did not enjoy working with the electronic images.
What?!? A rubber stamp company not sending you rubber and expecting you to work for free, when you realize how much time you spend on making their cards and blogging the free product does not seem very free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
What?!? A rubber stamp company not sending you rubber and expecting you to work for free, when you realize how much time you spend on making their cards and blogging the free product does not seem very free.
I think it's getting more common, one of my absolute favorite stamp companies also does the digital file thing, they don't actually send the DT the actual new stamps, just files. That is kind of what deterred me from applying to be on their DT as I didn't have a printer at the time. Plus, I don't know how printer ink compares to, say, archival ink and if it would bleed with certain techniques, etc.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I know that in some cases, digital images are sent in lieu of rubber while the stamps are still in production, so that designers can get a jump start on making samples in advance. Rubber is sent when it's available. That's obviously not the way it works with all the companies. Definitely something to check out in advance if you're not a fan of digis!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 05:44 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

It seems rather short sighted to me - it means samples are going to be much more limited, I suspect. When I served on a DT, it's true that most of my projects were cards but I also made polymer clay jewelry, textured UTEE pieces, stamped on onesies etc. Personally I think a DT's role is to show the versatility of a stamp and to me digital files just don't have the same flexibility as an actual stamp. I guess it's one of the reasons I've never got into digis, despite being able to see they have advantages!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it depends alot on the image too. Some are very easy to work with digitally and some aren't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up I SO AGREE!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I always agree with Joanne! And Jocelyn's experience is actually pretty common. When I find that I'm on a team just for the benefits and my heart is no longer in the process, it's time to let someone else take my place.

This is going to be a little random, because I need a protein snack... and my thoughts are many!

I love working with product DTs (paper, embellishments, supplies, ribbon etc) because of the freedom to combine challenges and use any stamp images I choose.

If companies are wanting you to be exclusive, they should be up front about that when you apply. Some DT applications will ask how many other teams you are on, and will take that number into consideration, not for experience, but for your ability to focus on their requirements in particular.

I know of one company that would not allow their designers to post cards from other companies during release week.

Manufacturers will have different policies for completed cards. On teams I've been on, some required a certain number of cards to be sent for booth samples (postage paid). Others allowed me to keep my cards. Still others offered compensation ($$) for cards I chose to send in.

Another thought on product, and this is something you'll have to decide for yourself... some companies allow you to choose the product or stamp images you would like to work with. Other companies will require you to work with an entire release or selection of products that they choose. On one DT, I was obligated to work with product that I didn't really care for, and would never have purchased for myself. I ended up leaving that team, because that situation made me uncomfortable.

Remember that many designers represent companies in an industry, and as with any industry with a 'ladder' to climb, sometimes good experience can be found at the bottom, and you don't often enter at the top. Slow and steady climbing, personal goals, genuineness, and hard work will be your friends. The companies that I work with make products and stamps that I would buy happily without obligation. Companies love to see you loving their products and making their images shine, without the feeling that you're trying to get something free in return. If your heart is in your work, it will show.

Build relationships first.

Hope that makes sense!
This thread is VERY INTERESTING READING!!!! THANKS LADIES!!! "Build relationships first!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great forum.

KimKardz, I peaked at your blog and you have a terrific start. Your cards are precious and you have lots of terrific information. You're going to do great!

I've been on several design teams and I've loved it. I also run a design team for my challenge blog. The best part is developing friendships that last a life time. My priorities have changed so I've sworn off the commitment of being on a team for a while, but I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Here's my two cents worth:

TRAFFIC - The companies can see where their traffic is coming from, so if you want to get their attention - send them a lot of traffic. That's kind of the bottom line. You mentioned you had three favorite companies. Make sure you're using their products and linking to every product you use that's from them, e.g., the paper, stamp, ink, embellishments . . . You can use a tool like InLinkz to make it easy.

WHAT THEY'RE LOOKING FOR - Absolutely every design team I've been on has been different. I suggest you follow the people who are already on the companies' design teams and study their behavior. Usually you'll find that they keep their blog posts simple and just let the cards shine for themselves. Look at how they design their blogs, too, and what they have on their side bars. You won't find any Twilight-Team-Jacob or cute kitty widgets. They stay focused on paper crafts.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to take good photographs of your work. Manufacturers will not want to highlight your beautiful work on their sites if it's photographed poorly.

Just like in the job market, most of the big companies want to see that you're already on a design team or have had some design team experience. It's the old circle of trying to get experience without experience. So, like Dina said, be willing to start at the bottom. Stay active in challenges and with smaller companies until you have a resume that gets their attention.

WHAT THEY EXPECT FROM YOU - Nothing, and a little of everything - it just depends. I just run my challenge site for giggles and grins so I don't ask anything from my team. They can skip or drop out any time they want. Unfortunately, I don't have much to offer them either, except hopefully more traffic to their sites and the joy of hanging out with me. ;)

The more the company offers you, the more they will probably expect from you, up to and including:
  • posting in on-line galleries like Flickr or Splitcoast and Social Media like Facebook and Pinterest
  • include links in your blog posts to all the products you used from your design teams' company
  • commenting on others' blogs (e.g., participants in their challenges)
  • being a member of a Facebook group or other forum for design team communication
  • making tutorials (including video) to promote their products
  • partipating in other challenges to drive more traffic
  • getting published
  • highlighting only their products during releases
  • sending them your projects for them to display at trade shows

Start doing as much of these things as you can now, and you'll grab their attention sooner.

One last thing. It's considered unethical to sell products that were given to you as a design team member because, of course, that would take away a customer from them. And, your primary job is to drive customers to them.

Good luck and, above all, have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen people that have "tried too hard" - be yourself but be smart about being yourself.

TBH I don't think I am DT material because I'm pretty vocal in CE and that would put a lot of people off. I recognize that and would start pulling back on that on a crafting board if I wanted to apply for a DT.
Reply With Quote Likes