Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #1  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue
Dare to Get Dirty 2019 - August 3rd - August 9th 15th Anniversary Celebration

Come celebrate with us
Since July of 2004, we’ve thanked our Fan Club members for supporting Splitcoast financially with a themed monthly gallery. We think up a theme, and our twelve talented designers create away, filling the gallery with all kinds of things to inspire and enable, and to give you a little something extra for your contributions to Splitcoast. We know you love to ogle the projects every month, and we know you’re all immensely talented, too.

Then we thought - how fun would it be get our Fan Club members to play along in challenges with us? With that thought, Dare to Get Dirty week was born. We're happy to celebrate our 15th anniversary with you with a week full of stamping challenges.

To celebrate a decade and a half of this incredibly creative team, we're changing it up this year!

For this event only - we are opening the challenges to the entire community!

Everyone can play along and be inspired by our daily challenges. Only Fan Club Members will be eligible for the prizes at the conclusion of the event, but everyone can partake in the fun! And if you want to join the Fan Club at any time prior to the drawings, you will be eligible as well!

So what’s this all about?

Easy. It’s all about you. Sure, we’re playing, too, but we want to see what you do when you're challenged!

Our Dirty Dozen Designers, both past and present, have a fun week planned for you. You’ll see a little of everything – inspiration, 3D items, color and layout challenges, techniques, tutorials . . . . and besides the stamping part of things, we wanted to add something else, more personal interaction! We’ve got everything all pre-posted and ready to go, and the girls will be there in the chat threads to answer any of your pressing questions. If you’ve ever wondered how someone does something, ask away. They’re there to dish and share their dirty little secrets with you!

Do I have to do them all?

Nah, just do what you can or what grabs you, or just jump in and chat with the girls if you can’t actually stamp during the challenges. We want to see your work and get to know you better!

What if I do do them all?

Good question! How about a prize drawing for those members of the Fan Club who complete all of the challenges (combining challenges is cool, of course!) and upload by August 16th at 11:59 PM CST?

So when does it all start?
Saturday, August 3rd, we’ll post the first set of challenges here, and will continue posting challenges through Friday, August 9th.

Are there any rules?

Have fun! Combine challenges, go nuts with one challenge and do ten entries. Upload to your gallery, post your creations on your blog . . .

This year - everyone will be able to upload to this event gallery and everyone will be able to view and comment on your creations.

So if you haven't joined the Fan Club yet - what are you waiting for? This is your Dirty Dare! Join here and join in the fun!

OH - and did I mention there are prizes? Because there are prizes for Fan Club Members. Details will be posted in the Dare to Get Dirty forum

We will also draw a special social media prize for anyone participating (not just Fan Club members - all players are eligible) who shares their challenge creations on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #SplitcoastDTGD2019

Blinkie attached!
Attached Files
File Type: txt DTGD Blinkie.txt (166 Bytes, 11 views)

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 08-01-2019 at 02:36 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Yay, this will be fun! Hope to see lots of SCSers, Fan Club members or not, come and play along with some great challenges!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I'm a bit confused, which is easy for me! LOL. One place says only fan club members are eligible for prizes and in another sentence it says everyone is eligible to play and win prizes. Just asking in case anyone else is confused as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 314 Likes on 122 Posts

You are right, Kathy. Here is the statement:

This year - everyone will be able to upload to this event gallery and win prizes, and everyone will be able to view and comment on your creations.

I think this is a wonderful way to get some new members, but if you spill the whole entire thing, they may not be as eager to join in. I would open up half or 3/4 of the challenges and entice them to join in order to be able to see them all and be eligible for prizes. Showing them the prizes is also a wonderful incentive. This would also keep me as a fan club member feeling special in joining. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 11:02 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Okay - probably a dumb question from me . . . I've been a fan club member for several years but never participated in DTGD - What the heck is a blinkie and what am I supposed to do with it???

I'm not a Hoarder . . . I'm the Curator of an extensive collection of embellishments!!

Proud Fan Club Member
Guest Designer Color Challenge July 2017
Favorites Notification Team

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblestx4View Post
Okay - probably a dumb question from me . . . I've been a fan club member for several years but never participated in DTGD - What the heck is a blinkie and what am I supposed to do with it???
I believe a blinkie is something you can download and put on a blog if you have one. I don't, so I've never checked into it. It may be something that links back to DTGD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 11:16 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

yep, you add it to your blog as a html code, so if you save the code above when the box opens you can copy and paste it as a gadget on your blog.

and then people who click on it on your blog are directed back to scs.

( I have that in the top left corner on mine if you wanted to see what it looks like)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I'm a bit confused, which is easy for me! LOL. One place says only fan club members are eligible for prizes and in another sentence it says everyone is eligible to play and win prizes. Just asking in case anyone else is confused as well.

My first thought was...so why did I just have Don renew my membership this morning if I could have played in DTGD and been eligible for prizes without spending $24.95?

Unfortunately I don't use the Fan Club Membership to the fullest so I know there are other reasons for being a Fan Club Member...but DTGD is one of the main reasons...and the instant upload is the #1 area that I use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 03:29 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Faye, I'd be a fan club member even without the perks. I do it mainly to support the site where I spend half my day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,301 Likes on 936 Posts

Yay how exciting....I also was confused but we know that’s not difficult for me lol. I do think fan club member should get just a teeny little bit more for their payment, but it is a good way to encourage more members. There’s a lot of people on this site who I would think don’t even post a card. I know that feeling..it’s scary. I’m just happy that I finally know what DTGD means and I can have a play..whoop whoop.

Happy Thursday everyone....only 2 days to go..just saying
Monthly: MMJ Challenge….
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Faye, I'd be a fan club member even without the perks. I do it mainly to support the site where I spend half my day!
Long ago I was much more on SCS than I am now but some fun friendships have formed so maybe i should pay more as people are priceless!

I've needed help to get around as I'm not computerized but I do enjoy the site what I know of it...and when people give me links (like for tutorials) I use it more...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 05:47 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

I agree! Friendships I've made here are priceless! And I was being conservative when I said I spend half my day here! Its more likely higher!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 08:31 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Wow! I think that is cool that the challenges are open to all of the community this year. The prizes are amazing so everyone will want up to be a Fan Club member.
Sunday uploads is one of my favorite things but I also like the Fan Club Christmas Challenge and the Dirty Dozen challenges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2019, 10:29 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it's cool that it's open this year too, Angie. What a great way to share and grow this marvelous community!

Kathy, I was a bit confused until I read this section, "We will also draw a special social media prize for anyone participating (not just Fan Club members - all players are eligible) who shares their challenge creations on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #SplitcoastDTGD2019"

I became a Fan Club member for the instant upload and was happy to see the extra perks. And if I'd really read the Fan Club section, I would have seen all those perks. It's been well worth the $24.95 a year!

I don't need to go into all of them, click the link above to see for yourself. I will say that the Dirty Dozen Design team is the best kept secret on the site. I know I'm not the only one who didn't (or doesn't) realize SCS has a design team. Two new Dirty Girls every month, a Design Team gallery exploding with creativity and inspiration and monthly themes for Fan Club members to play along!

For any of you who aren't a Fan Club member, play along in the DTDG challenges and you'll get a tiny taste of what you've been missing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Carla I've been paying for the past 2 years and haven't taken advantage of what's available until recently. I only realised that 2 Dirty Girls are announced on the 15th of each month and there's a thread on this. There's certainly a lot of inspiration and threads to follow. For the small price it is worth it to me, just to be able to see my card posted immediately.

I would highly recommend everyone who visits this site daily to consider paying the annual fee to become a Fan Club Member.

Happy day everyone and good luck to everyone participating during the next week.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 03:06 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I agree! Friendships I've made here are priceless! And I was being conservative when I said I spend half my day here! Its more likely higher!

This was a fun post to wake me this morning!

And Angie...uhm...you were discussed yesterday as I sat with 3 other SCSer's after visiting a local stamp store of which none of us were local :razz: and 2 of those were DD girls (1 alumni, 1 current)

You have made a difference in my life! Thank you. (If I could insert the smiley standing on her head I would...or the girl hoolahooping on a stamp image that I bought yesterday!) ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #17  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

I think Carla's clarification is correct. Anybody can win the prize for posting to social media with the hashtag. But the other prizes would be for paid-up Fan Club members.

On the combining, I'm pretty sure it will be the same as always: combining is fine and you'll be eligible for some prizes, but for the major prizes you would have had to make a single card for each challenge. Of course we never know what Lydia will change up, but that's what I'd expect. That's still what it states in the FAQs: DTGD FAQ by UnderstandBlue at Splitcoaststampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Are there any rules?

Have fun! Combine challenges, go nuts with one challenge and do ten entries. Upload to your gallery, post your creations on your blog . . .

For clarification, this year we can combine DTGD challenges? I know we've always been able to combine DTGD with the regular challenges, so just curious if I'm understanding this correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

We've always been allowed to combine DTGD challenges. It's just that if you want to be a queen (someone who completes all the challenges) you have to have one unique card for each challenge. So if you combine three challenges in one card, it wouldn't count as completing them all. That's my understanding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

How many challenges are included?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Usually between 5-7 per day. Approx. 40 total
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 05:12 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Holy cow. That would take me four months. If I hurried. Is there a Dare to Get Dirty Extremely Slowly challenge?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

I think they give you an extra week, Beth! Don't panic! You can do it! And if its your first time, just pick a few. But you'd be surprised what you can get done. You know, I'm now thinking of the permission slip Lydia posted and picturing the commercial for State Farm with the woman who yells "Don't mess with my discount!". Only we're yelling "get your own supper! You have two hands!" LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Holy cow. That would take me four months. If I hurried. Is there a Dare to Get Dirty Extremely Slowly challenge?

The slow challenge is...print off the challenge ideas and do them over the next year! There is no timeline unless you want to be a queen...those of us who are non-queenwannabes will finish 1 challenge at least in the week, upload it and have fun the rest of the time.

Uploading 1 card or scrapbook page allows you to be entered into most of the prize categories. I am not on social media so I won't qualify for those prizes or the queen status.

I am going to have fun and I am going to learn while being challenged to do techniques that aren't my regular way of making cards. I have yet to be disappointed in learning! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 05:26 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I think they give you an extra week, Beth! Don't panic! You can do it! And if its your first time, just pick a few. But you'd be surprised what you can get done. You know, I'm now thinking of the permission slip Lydia posted and picturing the commercial for State Farm with the woman who yells "Don't mess with my discount!". Only we're yelling "get your own supper! You have two hands!" LOL
In other words...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by FayeMakesCardsView Post
The slow challenge is...print off the challenge ideas and do them over the next year! There is no timeline unless you want to be a queen...those of us who are non-queenwannabes will finish 1 challenge at least in the week, upload it and have fun the rest of the time.

Uploading 1 card or scrapbook page allows you to be entered into most of the prize categories. I am not on social media so I won't qualify for those prizes or the queen status.

I am going to have fun and I am going to learn while being challenged to do techniques that aren't my regular way of making cards. I have yet to be disappointed in learning! ;)

Great points. I’m a technique junky and have about 80 hundred I want to try, and sometimes think I’d be happy just making backgrounds and no cards, from alcohol inks, Distress Oxides, water colors, occasionally gel press, strips of paper, decoupage (a new thing with envelopes at an LSS workshop), etc. So I’ll go for it like you suggest.

I seem to have most of the supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

ROFL...I will be joining you on this challenge...I’m not quick at making cards either but I have done VSN before....it was fun but boy it tests the grey cells and especially when I’m in night zone and everyone else is on morning time lol. It’s just fun to chat and do whatever challenges you might want to try.
get inky and have fun

Last edited by Ozpom; 08-02-2019 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

I seem to have most of the supplies.
I am not surprised! LOL

I'm a technique junky too. If my records are correct, I've only missed doing one of the Wednesday tutorials since August 12, 2015! And I've done many of the earlier ones, but didn't start tracking until then. I eventually plan to go back and get a list of the ones I've missed and do those too. The one I missed in my current list is painted wood burning. I need to figure out what supplies I need for that one, and I'll do it eventually!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #29  

Quote:

Originally Posted by FayeMakesCardsView Post
This was a fun post to wake me this morning!

And Angie...uhm...you were discussed yesterday as I sat with 3 other SCSer's after visiting a local stamp store of which none of us were local :razz: and 2 of those were DD girls (1 alumni, 1 current)

You have made a difference in my life! Thank you. (If I could insert the smiley standing on her head I would...or the girl hoolahooping on a stamp image that I bought yesterday!) ;)

Oh, wow! You have made my day!!! Big Hugs! I hope one day we will get the chance to meet again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #30  

Jean, I like your sign! Yesterday I took a new cookbook into the grocery store and then told my husband, "I can't use this, I want easy meals next week!" He is such a sweet guy and helped me pick up groceries for easy meals next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:10 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I am not surprised! LOL

I'm a technique junky too. If my records are correct, I've only missed doing one of the Wednesday tutorials since August 12, 2015! And I've done many of the earlier ones, but didn't start tracking until then. I eventually plan to go back and get a list of the ones I've missed and do those too. The one I missed in my current list is painted wood burning. I need to figure out what supplies I need for that one, and I'll do it eventually!

Wow - I’m a mere novice compared to you, and far more random. You are my disciplined technique hero - DTH!

I dive into alcohol inks and emerge at some point in the future. Vaguely remember an ancient video about something, spend hours searching for it and maybe do that technique.

Lately I’ve been figuring out how to make a “double” card that can be opened from the front or turned over and opened from the back so it has two different sentiments that I want to send someone. Answer: probably magnetized flaps inside. Will I actually make it? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:25 AM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Wow - I’m a mere novice compared to you, and far more random. You are my disciplined technique hero - DTH!

I dive into alcohol inks and emerge at some point in the future. Vaguely remember an ancient video about something, spend hours searching for it and maybe do that technique.

Lately I’ve been figuring out how to make a “double” card that can be opened from the front or turned over and opened from the back so it has two different sentiments that I want to send someone. Answer: probably magnetized flaps inside. Will I actually make it? :confused:
That sounds like fun! Wish I had thought of it because I'm already picturing how to do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

My LSS is carrying all the oxides now!:-) :-)

I used them this week on the spray resist tutorial!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

That sounds like fun! Wish I had thought of it because I'm already picturing how to do it!

I also thought about pull tabs - but the instructions I’ve seen pull both out at the same time. I’d need only one to pull out since the other one would be upside down. I’m sure there’s a way to do it; I’ve just never done pull tabs. (I bet you have.)

Oh wait - it would only have to be one tab since the front would say one thing and the back another, right? (I’m so not good at imagining the engineering.) :shock:

And great your LSS is carrying Oxides! Does she have the sprays too? I haven’t started with them at all and don’t have any. Sprays don’t love me in general.

ETA: have you seen Justine Hovey’s ongoing technique binder class? I’m in it though haven’t started my binder. So far the techniques are quite simple but it will be fun (if I do it!) to have a binder with hundreds in it, complete with instructions and a sample on baseball size cards in pockets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes, she's carrying the sprays too! She holds classes on Thursdays so those girls must have put a bugnin her ear about them. I don't get out but maybe once a month. Every time I go, I'm overwhelmed and end up buying only necessities like glue, refills or tape runners. She has a small shop and she keeps buying and still has tons of wood block rubber stamps that just don't sell. Her racks are full and overflowing. Inventory time is a nightmare for her and those helping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Well if you decide to put your technique-adept brain on the front-n-back right-side up upside down card, do holler! Though with DTGD my assumption is you’ll be thinking of many other things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #37  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Does it have to open from the back? What about a flap on the front like this with another panel underneath: WT621 Mine!! by Cook22 - at Splitcoaststampers Or if you just layered two folded cards together so that the front openedat the right edge to the inside, and then if you turned it over the back would also open like a regular card. I have a very old New Testament and Psalms with an embroidered cover which was constructed like that. Very old as in 16 something or other.
The slider (push pull) cards are quite fun to make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

I sent you a pm with my idea. I can't see the one Sabrina posted very clear because I got one eye dialated today for my post op checkup and it hasn't cleared up yet. I can read, but stuff is blurry yet. I think its harder when they only dialate one eye!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Does it have to open from the back? What about a flap on the front like this with another panel underneath: WT621 Mine!! by Cook22 - at Splitcoaststampers Or if you just layered two folded cards together so that the front openedat the right edge to the inside, and then if you turned it over the back would also open like a regular card. I have a very old New Testament and Psalms with an embroidered cover which was constructed like that. Very old as in 16 something or other.
The slider (push pull) cards are quite fun to make.

That’s brilliant! lol I commented in your gallery. For this card yes, open from the front and the back but I will certainly keep your card handy, since there are times I want both an image and sentiment on the front but not at the same time, if that makes sense!

Thank you -
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I sent you a pm with my idea. I can't see the one Sabrina posted very clear because I got one eye dialated today for my post op checkup and it hasn't cleared up yet. I can read, but stuff is blurry yet. I think its harder when they only dialate one eye!

And Bingo! was his name... You solved it, and I answered your PM!

Ugh, eye stuff. I didn’t know you had eye surgery; I hope you are healing well and it wasn’t too awful. I just saw a retina specialist for a problem - no fun for this phobic person! And yes, it’s like being off balance with one versus both.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 08-02-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes