Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2016, 01:41 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Creative style versus industry trends....

Hi everyone!

I would love your thoughts on a challenge I have been facing over the past couple of years. I love to develop my creativity, and I know that means staying fairly open-minded, but I always get a bit stifled when an industry trend goes in an opposite direction to my own style. I like to stay current with my designs, but find it difficult when the trend is so different from what I really like. For example, I am not a big fan of vintage...so despite the popularity of it......it can be intimidating to design a vintage card which takes me completely out of my comfort zone.

This can also happen on design teams where the stamps or products are not ones you would naturally buy, but you're on the hook to design from it anyway.

If you design your own cards, does your creativity ever get challenged in this way? How do you personally face this challenge? Is this problem something you think I will grow out of as I become a more advanced stamper?

Thank you for your thoughts! Hugs,
Audrie

Last edited by girlgeek101; 01-16-2016 at 01:45 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 04:37 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Audrie, I know exactly where you are coming from here. My biggest problem is that I absolutely hate making anything on-trend, no matter what the style itself may be. If it's got to be fashion concious, then it may just as well be a store bought card is my opinion. I make what I like, and enjoy. That to me is the whole heart of the matter- if I don't enjoy the process, then the project rarely goes well. So I don't generally force myself to do stuff I don't like. I do this hobby for relaxation,and enjoyment, not stress. My cards also tend to be geared towards the things- pursuits/colours etc- of the receiver, again, thats more important to me than fashionable.
Open minded is fine, that means trying new techniques/products and so on, and seeing if it speaks to you. If it doesn't then personally, I just leave it by the wayside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 05:22 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I have not succumbed to many trends over the years and have stuck to my somewhat easy yet graphic style. Not much for coloring, people, flowers, die cuts, DSP. More for inking techniques, heat embossing, backgrounds, layering images. Sometimes I can look at cards that are trendy in design or use whatever product is hot and get inspired but I try to make it my own.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audrie, that is such a common dilemma! I've tried different approaches earlier on and settled long ago to make what I love, as shazsilverwolf said. If my heart is in it, it will speak to me and be lovely (In my own eyes I suppose ) I do sell lots of cards and those who buy them must like my style because they buy them!

In making what I love, I avoid over spending on products that don't speak to me. I avoid frustration most of the time because I can't produce something I don't care for. I do challenge myself to use colour schemes or layouts I may not naturally gravitate to so stretch myself in ways other than outright trends.

I'm also not on any design teams... that would stifle my creativity and put me in a box, so to speak. I can't create on demand!

That is my opinion, it will be interesting to read what others think. Good luck in finding your way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm another one that doesn't give a flying fig about the trends. It's all fine and good to notice the latest and greatest - and buy it if you love it and will use it - but to have that be one of the goals of making your art? Not so much...

I agree with the previous posters that expressing yourself and gearing toward the recipient is key in having the whole thing be a rewarding experience. If I/you happen to incorporate something that's "on trend", hooray. If not, who will know (or care)?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only do what I do, I'm not particularly nimble going from style to style. And, like everyone here has said, I don't really care about trends except for what they mean for me in terms of what might be out there in the marketplace or not.

I suppose if you want to have a business, or already have a business based on paper crafting, you might think you need to be able to do pretty much anything. And it's also true that you can learn to work in a style you haven't been comfortable doing thus far, but it's hard if you don't actually love it and want to do it. It's no different than anything else. If I want to learn something because I really want to do it, I will analyze it and figure out what I need to do or change or practice or try. If I'm not personally motivated, forget it. I will confess I do not do CAS cards. Less is not more for me. So my motivation to get good at doing them is zero to nil.

If you don't like vintage, why try to do it or even worry about it?

And, hey, you already seem to be a pretty advanced stamper to me! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 11:07 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I think about this a lot, not because I'm a crafting professional, but because I have always loved design and I've always followed the design world. So when antlers and birds on everything start to become popular, it looks so fresh, I sometimes want to jump in and try my hand at it! But it also becomes tiresome very quickly when everybody jumps on board. And I don't like the feeling of following the crowd.

It's one reason I've never bought any Dyan Reaveley stamps — I really like them, but she has a strong design sense and I don't want my own art journals and card making to look like Dyan. Same with Crazy Birds — I personally think it's very hard to make those look like "you" and I want what I create to look like me (which is usually what happens even if I'm trying to imitate :-))

If you are crafting professional, though, I do think you do have to stay abreast of trends and even anticipate them. I would find this pretty tiring, and especially for the reasons you mentioned – I will use a cutesy Lawn Fawn stamp at gun point! Rarely otherwise.

I think your basic tendencies and style develops over time, and I don't see much point in fighting that. I do love looking for ways to make my crafts look fresh, with new techniques and supplies. I try to add only classic stamps to my collection, leaving the trendy stuff for the cheaper embellishment/ consumables purchases. Just like a wardrobe of well-cut basics, I guess, that can be updated with scarves and hats etc.

Last edited by poppydarling; 01-16-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #8  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

That's funny Audrie because I think of you as a person with a really well defined style - great question.

I don't ever try things that aren't my style anymore - I am much happier admiring those things from afar. I too am a fan of vintage, but can't do it to save my life so I just click favorites on those and admire them. I am happier when I just stick to what I'm good at.

And yes, I do think you'll grow out of it - I did - but it took a long time. It takes a while to really hone in on what you're naturally good at and can work with. I would have saved a lot of money if that had happened ten years earlier but it's all part of the creative process and I don't regret any of the things I tried
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I know what you mean about Dyan Reaveley, Poppy. Same for Tim Holtz. I bought Crazy Birds in some inexplicable altered state - both the Birds and the Things. Now I look at them and they are so particular in their style (like all of TH) that I have not yet figured out what to do with them to make them my own. I'll figure it out, but I do feel as you do - I like stamps that leave room for ME.

Lydia, I think everything we do contributes to our journey, so I try not to think much about all the stuff I tried (and spent money on!) that didn't end up being part of who I am. All of it influenced me, whether it was in some small, subtle way, or in that it showed me who I wasn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Sue, Lydia, Rachelrose, and poppydarling on this one. Unless you are on a design team or for some reason *have* to keep up with the trends, I say march to the beat of your own drum. And if you do want to be on a DT, it would make sense to choose a company that suits your own sense of style in their product designs.

I do think it's fine to explore other styles if you are drawn to them but it's new to you and you wonder if you'd like working that way. But I'd do this only with the materials at hand. It can stretch your creative muscles, but if it turns out to not be your thing, then I wouldn't give it another thought.

I had never really thought about it before, but I found the comments about your work reflecting too much of the product designer and not yourself to be very interesting. Great observation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Audrie, I couldn't agree more with the above posts!

We are the artists, we have options to use the makings of other artists in a way to further reflect our own creativity. I don't believe growth as an artist means the ability to perform all forms or all genres.

If you're a Soprano you may have difficulty singing alto....we rejoice in the gifts we are given.

I used to do custom orders when I painted roses on ebay and it would make me so nervous!! I don't do stress, not anymore!

So you BE you and let YOU come out in everything YOU do!

I don't do cutesy, DRavely, TimH or any of that....it is CUTE, I am not...it's part of developing into the artist you are.

We made several moves a while back, I decorated a little differently at each hoe but I would get so upset because I couldn't break out of my own style....my hubby finally shared that that IS my style, so go wit it.

BE the BEAUTY YOU ARE!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you everyone for your comments. It was unexpected that the answer to my question would be so unanimously 'to stay true to my style. That does feel like the right way to go. On the other hand, I do enjoy watching experienced stampers like Kristina Werner who have adapted to trends with such apparent ease and still love what they do....I suppose there is a balance. I will take your advise and continue to blossom my own style. Hugs, Audrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Fun to see everyone's responses!

I'm with most of you...I stay with what I like and feel comfortable with. I've tried to do "other styles" but I never like what I make, even if I totally case something I've seen. It just isn't the same! I don't even enjoy trying to adjust my style tho make my husband happy. I've figured that's impossible anyway.

Now, if I see someone's work that stretches me some, and that I love the look, and if I don't have to go spend a fortune to experiment, then I'm game to try something new. Some styles I just love to look at.

I love your style, Audrie! Everything is just gorgeous!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll never be trendy and I don't follow the crowd unless it fits my style. I tried to branch out but like others have said, I can appreciate the work of other styles, but it will never be something I'll like.

I think everyone's style is their comfort zone and it's very hard to go against what is comfortable. I've tried to do challenges away from my basic style, but quite frankly, most times it's not fun so I stopped. Apparently, I like being in my style zone and I've learned not to buy things outside my zone, I don't care if they are trendy, I'll just keep wearing my "little black dress".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Hi! I'm a lurker, but I thought I'd add my two cents worth today. Trends don't matter to the people who receive the cards! Trends are all about the industry, keeping you buying, thinking you need the cute little critters or whatever. Do you really think your Great-Aunt Sadie is going to say "Oh, I wish she had sent me a card with Crazy Birds on it."?
CAS may be all the rage, and as card makers we know how difficult it is to do well, but I find a lot of non-crafters like layers. They can see the effort you put into the card and it makes them feel special. I'd rather stick a nice photo that I took myself on a card than a couple of LF critters. Not that they don't make cute critters! It's just a trend that doesn't work for me, like the stamps with the girls with the big eyes. I think they are scary!
Work with what you have and what you love. No one will know it's paper from five years ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftincardsView Post
Hi! I'm a lurker, but I thought I'd add my two cents worth today. Trends don't matter to the people who receive the cards! Trends are all about the industry, keeping you buying, thinking you need the cute little critters or whatever. Do you really think your Great-Aunt Sadie is going to say "Oh, I wish she had sent me a card with Crazy Birds on it."?
CAS may be all the rage, and as card makers we know how difficult it is to do well, but I find a lot of non-crafters like layers. They can see the effort you put into the card and it makes them feel special. I'd rather stick a nice photo that I took myself on a card than a couple of LF critters. Not that they don't make cute critters! It's just a trend that doesn't work for me, like the stamps with the girls with the big eyes. I think they are scary!
Work with what you have and what you love. No one will know it's paper from five years ago!
Or fifteen, lol... I also agree about the big-eyed, mouthless girls, and welcome out of lurkdom - well said!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #17  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Do you really think your Great-Aunt Sadie is going to say "Oh, I wish she had sent me a card with Crazy Birds on it"?
:lol:

I guess it depends on the audience: in my family, there is a super-creative advertising executive, a painter, and an illustrator, and I have friends who are artists and book makers, etc. So when I make things for them, I am hyper-aware of the materials and elements that I use! But it raises the bar and makes me a better crafter, I think. And I enjoy the challenge.

OTH, I've known a few snobby artists as well, who are no longer on my giving list :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Sometimes we get lucky and a trendy thing appeals to us...
but, I don't know that I have ever been "trendy" and that is OK.
as far as work goes, I think you have to take a good hard look at a companies line before you sign with someone if the percentage of things they have appeal to you it balances out the ones where you scratch your head and go, ok, its really just a color combo ( tie-one-hand-behind-your-back) challenge and give it a whirl.
It's not the end of the world to make something with it.
and sometimes even that will surprise you with the end results.
I tend to go CAS when in doubt and that works for me.
even though all my cards look the same to me ( vibe wise) I don't think I have a label stuck to me that says this chick is an X flavor of a stamper.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

Not only will I never be trendy, I am usually two steps behind and three over to the right! I have things from well over ten years ago and I love it just as much now and don't hesitate to use any of it. The fast pace of trends overwhelms me -always has, even in my teen and young adult years- and so I have never attempted to stay "in the loop". I do love looking at others' artwork, though, because of the joy it brings me to see how creative people are. It does not matter one bit to me if it fits the trend or not.

However, I am thankful for those who love everything new because when I am ready to shop, they are the ones who have designed all the pretties to choose from!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Default ok, i love trendy

I love trendy and new. Same way with my clothes. Not everything is trendy and new, but i like to stay fairly up to date. It is a fine balance not to look like Miley Cyrus at 55 or look like I just stepped out of my high school year book with a Farrah Fawcett do!

I love the vintage trend, i love the grunge trend, i love the mixed media trend. I am not much for the big headed little kids or animals, but I suspect it is because i have no one to make things for that those trends would appeal to.

My husband on the other hand is the kind of person that believes if you liked this furniture, carpet, article of clothing, whatever, enough to have purchased it, then you should die with it still in your possession!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

lori b., I definitely think that's a guy thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I like to make cards for a specific person in mind. That way I know what they like...colors or themes or occasions. That usually helps me when I get in a creative slump.

And, it's a great way to keep sending out cards and not have them pile up, neglected in a drawer!

As for trends...I don't know. I really liked the Crazy Birds set. But didn't buy it. Then when EVERYONE had the birds, well, they were darling but I didn't want/ need them much any more. Some times I try new trends just to expand my way of thinking or viewing or creating. It's nice to get out of your comfort zone to try something new!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Awesome convo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
Audrie, I couldn't agree more with the above posts!

We are the artists, we have options to use the makings of other artists in a way to further reflect our own creativity. I don't believe growth as an artist means the ability to perform all forms or all genres.

If you're a Soprano you may have difficulty singing alto....we rejoice in the gifts we are given.

I used to do custom orders when I painted roses on ebay and it would make me so nervous!! I don't do stress, not anymore!

So you BE you and let YOU come out in everything YOU do!

I don't do cutesy, DRavely, TimH or any of that....it is CUTE, I am not...it's part of developing into the artist you are.

We made several moves a while back, I decorated a little differently at each hoe but I would get so upset because I couldn't break out of my own style....my hubby finally shared that that IS my style, so go wit it.

BE the BEAUTY YOU ARE!!
I so agree with this post, as with so many of the others. Even as a professional artist, you should be true to your style. Who would have expected Picasso to paint like Monet? People come to identify with your style, and if they are buying your cards, they must like it. I seek out certain artists when buying pottery or weavings etc. for my home. One of the best compliments I got was when my SIL came to our new house for the first time and said that our house had the same warm inviting feel as it did when we lived in the mountain forest of Oregon as it does now that we live in the desert of Arizona, but it looked like it belonged in our new area as much as it did in our old area. We have some of the same furniture (my husband built it and it will always be in our house) and pieces of art, but we incorporated more SW items to blend with our old favorites. Do what you love, live what you love, be what you love and you will always be in style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 08:28 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I am so sorry I bought those Crazy Birds. Now that I have them (and all the dies) they don't appeal to me to work with at all. Just not in my style wheelhouse. Sigh.

I'm going to have to force myself to use them somehow. Too much $$$ to waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I am so sorry I bought those Crazy Birds. Now that I have them (and all the dies) they don't appeal to me to work with at all. Just not in my style wheelhouse. Sigh.

I'm going to have to force myself to use them somehow. Too much $$$ to waste.
Sell them or give them to someone who loves that style. No matter how much they cost, if you don't like them or use them, then they are not only a waste of money for you, they are a waste of space and peace of mind. Let them go, you will feel better. I speak from experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
It takes a while to really hone in on what you're naturally good at and can work with. I would have saved a lot of money if that had happened ten years earlier but it's all part of the creative process and I don't regret any of the things I tried
I so agree - I have drawers full of DP that I spent much money on before I decided I prefer making cards without DP. I try to use some up every so often but I don't buy any more.

Everyone likes and dislikes different things - I hate images of humans and animals with big heads or with either unnaturally large or small eyes, I never liked feathers or birdcages as motifs - yet I see others make great cards with these things.

So I stick to what I like and what I'm good at. But I do try to stretch myself and learn new techniques, otherwise I think it would get boring.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

What a great thread, you all have some wonderful thoughts and input! Trends can come and go, which is why many of us have the supplies we do!

As I've gotten older though, I have found, I don't enjoy all the trends anymore, so I don't NEED all that stuff anymore either! Since I have grandkids, I've been selective about what I purchase for use on their cards, and think about will they want to use it when they come to visit and we craft? It doesn't work for everything, and they do live quite far away, but it helps me not go crazy and get carried away.

In the end, this is my hobby, and I want to enjoy what I create. I'm trying to get rid of stuff I have that I no longer use as it is from "prior trends", so don't feel guilty for not keeping up!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes