Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2019, 03:21 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crafty hobbies: Let me count the ways...........

How many different crafts do you do?

I started 30 years ago with:
Sewing Clothes
Painting Wood crafts

20 years ago, I went to:
Scrapbooking
Quilting
Silk Ribbon Embroidery
Sewing crafts: dolls, pillows, table runners.

10 years ago, I added:
Paper piecing
Stamping/Cards

Lately, I've circled back to:
Sewing Vintage aprons
Scrapbooking and making mini albums
Still stamping.

I don't get rid of the previous crafting supplies. I just keep adding more. I've dabbled in everything from cement stepping stones, upcycling trash into garden art, scuply fimo clay, and a plethera of other random crafts. I am very blessed with a super cool crafting space.

NOW.....My daughter is getting rid of all her gorgeous glass beads, beading tools, and all her beading supplies..... DARE I ADD ANOTHER CRAFT? These beads are calling my name and I just resist!!

How many different types of crafts do you do?

Last edited by squirrellyshirley; 12-15-2019 at 03:29 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I think really I started as a child with papercrafting - still my fave. I've been stamping for about 35 years.

In my teens I was REALLY into cross stitch, needlepoint, rug hooking, ribbon embroidery etc.

A few years back I got into needle felting which I LOVE and need to do more of.

After that, I taught myself watercolor, which travels with me everywhere!

My sister and I do a lot of gel printing. I might start that diamond painting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 516 Posts

Just stamping and scrapbooking.

I have sewed curtains, coasters, a couple dresses, cloth napkins, etc. off and on, but it has never been a hobby or even something I enjoyed. I did it merely to challenge myself to learn something new.

Same with knitting and quilting. I learned how to do them and made a couple things, but it was mainly for the challenge and not because I wanted another hobby.

Stamping and scrapbooking are what I LOVE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I think I was born with a pencil and crayons in my hands as I have always loved art. I made doll clothes for my dolls when I was 7 and made my first dress for myself when I was 10. I have made clothes for myself and for my daughters (when they were young), but I haven't sewed in at least 10 years and I miss it. I've also made curtains, and home décor items. Beginning in my pre-teen and to the present I did needlepoint, cruel embroidery, cross stitch, cake decorating, making wood items with "country" painting (circa 80s), counted cross stitch, appliqueing, smocking, crocheting. In 2003, I was invited to a Stampin Up party and I've made cards ever since. I tried scrapbooking, but it's not for me. I have made Christmas stockings for each of my children and grandchildren using felt, making applique images and stuffing and sewing on beads and sequins all done by hand.
Crafts are my therapy and when life gets too busy and I can't craft - I'm not a happy camper. I'm never too tired to craft!
I would really like to get into quilting - maybe when I retire!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,848 Posts

I grew up with a mother who did all sorts of crafts. Mainly she sewed and taught each of us girls. Home Economics was just a class where I really didn't learn much, as I had a Mom who did most things. In my younger years, I learned to crochet. I remember learning around age 12 and I could look at any kind of crochet project and write the pattern down. I am not as good at that anymore, as I rarely crochet. I learned counted cross stitch when I was single, in my early 20's. I loved that hobby as it was challenging and easy to find supplies. I embroidered a lot over the years, creating a seashell project for my bathroom as it was decorated in seashells, again when I was single. With marriage came a house and I made sewed curtains, pillows, Halloween costumes for my daughters, the skirt for the Christmas tree, dresses, and many other items using my sewing machine. I rarely sew anymore.

Stamping came when my younger daughter was 1 and I was at a MOPS meeting. It looked like something I could do even with a toddler demanding attention. To Hobby Lobby I went and purchased two stamps, a black ink pad, and something to stamp on. I was hooked. Now nearly 20 years later, I have a room full of supplies. Most days I am in there creating something with the stamps, paper, and ink.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Let's see. I began with sewing. I started in elementary school and went on to entering competitions like Make It With Wool.

After that, I started watercolor. Then tole painting.

Along the way I did weaving, felting, crewel embroidery, oil painting, bobbin lace, knitting and crocheting, and I can't remember what else.

When I had my first son, that was when I started scrapbooking.

I added quilting and English smocking to my sewing repertoire when my daughter was small. Then when she got older I built and furnished a doll house.

And all along during this time I was keeping up with all the rest. Finally at our last move I gave some thought to what I had stored in my craft area and whether I would do anything with any of it. Almost all went to those who would get some enjoyment out of it.

I have been making cards since my daughter was born...37+ years ago.

Today, I still sew and quilt. I have about 2 knit sweaters in progress, no more. I'm still doing watercolor and I do some colored pencil work as well. My scrapbooking has been on the back burner while I don't have the time to work with it. I am also trying to make family history binders for my kids. But cards and quilting are where my money goes!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've been sewing in some form or another for my entire life, it seems (I still have a little flannel doll I made when I was 6 or 7 to play with in church). I had a decorating business for 23 years that included painting (including a few faux finishes), upholstery and window treatments, in addition to the usual pillows and cushions and such. I've made a few quilts, but want to get more involved in that.

I've dabbled in various forms of painting (oils, acrylics, watercolor) since elementary school, and am planning to spend more time getting better at watercolor this year. I also want to improve my colored pencil skills.

Calligraphy was on my radar for a while, but I've let that slide, sadly. Ditto on crochet.

Macrame has been a "thing" off and on since the 70s, depending on the trends (coming back again now, as a matter of fact). Beading/jewelry making off and on, as well.

Latch hook and fabric painting in the 70s and 80s.

I had a scroll saw back in the 80s and 90s and cut my own pieces for tole painting and other projects. I did a lot of cross stitch during that same period.

I learned cake decorating and made all of my kids' birthday cakes and several wedding cakes, as well as a few for other special occasions. I used to make intricate hand-painted sugar cookies when my children were small. My ex gave me grief one time after standing and watching me paint cookies for about 20 minutes: "Why are you wasting all your time on those? They're just gonna get eaten" My response? "Who's wasting more time - the person decorating the cookies, or the person watching the person decorating the cookies?" Yeah, good times...

I started stamping around 1989 and have been a Close to My Heart demo and a Stampin'Up! demo several times. I made a total of seven or so scrapbook pages before deciding that wasn't my "thing".

I've tried my hand at digital stamps and sold them in an Etsy shop for a time, but let that go, too (too busy to keep up with it). I may come back around to that in the near future, but the market is pretty saturated at this point, so maybe not...

I recently bought a bunch of silicone molds (Prima) and want to do some mixed media art pieces with them, as well as some home decor items, so that will be a new thing for me.

If something interests me, I'll generally give it a try and decide if I enjoy it enough to stay with it/get better at it. I keep tools for crafts that I'm not currently pursuing, but not the materials, for the most part. Sometimes the tools go, as well (I sold my scroll saw, for example).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

This is all over about a 25 year period.....Photography first, then writing, scrapbooking, stamping, soap and bath bomb making (loved this, but the scents made my allergies go crazy and I was always sneezing), beading, stamping again (never really stopped), knitting and back to beading! I'm considering dabbling in dichroic glass since that goes hand in hand with jewerly making but we'll see..... squirrellyshirley..... If you have a chance to get some beads..do it! Its so much fun to make your own jewelry and (I think) much prettier than a lot of what's on the market today.

Due to arthritis in my hands, I can't knit 'traditionally' now. I use a round loom and it works for me. I currently have a couple hats in progress for Christmas gifts and am almost done. I really like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 03:19 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Oh, what fun! I was a craft dabbler from age 5 to 35, sewing, macrame, crochet, wood burning, decoupage, paint-by-number, you name it. Then I discovered rubber stamping and, when mixed with my new-found-love scrapbooking, I have "specialized" and never looked back. My goal for 2020 is to sew a bit more.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I've been stamping/making cards for over 25 years now. Tried scrapping but didn't really enjoy it plus my twin sister is great at scrapping so she does that and I make cards!

Twin has made all the scrapbooks of my son and can do most of the journaling too since she knows just about all of his classmates/teachers/activites through the years ;)

I like to make little treat holders too and also repurpose oatmeal containers and coffee cans.

I've recently started making deco mesh topiaries and wreaths - so much fun!

I craft at my dining room table which is in a perpetual state of disarray and bless my DH for never complaining about how the table looks :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

hmm...who remembers making those square loom projects when you are a kid? Potholders? I loved that. And those liquid rubber things you baked into shapes? Omgoodness..one time I could not bake it so I put it in the freezer thinking it would hold there...oh it held. ALL OVER THE FREEZER after it tipped over. Bright pink and orange goo...mom was not amused.

I touched (and I mean only touched) on a lot of stuff but did not stick with anything till card making.

-pottery
-enameling
-woodwork incl wood burning
-candle making
-crude embroidery
-sketching
-beads-that was more than a touch since I worked for a small jewelry designer
-3d cards using an exacto knife to cut patterns
-make pillows for the house but that is just hand stitching a straight line

I know I am forgetting stuff. Mom was a master knitter and crochet and sadly I could not seem to learn it to her great chagrin. She, like the rest of the family hobby painted. And she had an enamel business called Berne enamels (you can see it on ebay). She was a depression kid and everyone at that learned to do many things for themselves. My uncle sewed very well and made wall sized macrame. His DD was doing large wood block prints she carved and tons of other stuff.

I wanted to learn stained glass. I love and own a bunch of dichromatic but I want stained glass. For now I will be happy if I can learn Water colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh how interesting! It seems like once a crafter, always a crafter, in one way or another.

As an adult I started out sewing, little things like potholders and baby quilts. Then into clothes for myself and my girls when they were little, I really only sew now when something needs mending or altering.
Cross stitch before I had kids to distract my counting

I started making cards in 2004 when my sister in law dragged me to a workshop... I got bit by the bug and there has been no looking back!

My mom was also a fantastic knitter and crocheter but i wasn’t interested until it was too late for her to teach me. So I searched YouTube and learned how to crochet it is so relaxing to sit with hubby while he watches tv, I can be with him but not waste my time doing nothing.

As a kid, my older brothers would give me different craft kits for Christmas sometimes and I loved those; a weaving loom was a particularly favourite gift. I made a cute green purse that I was soooo proud of haha. I also loved those big posters to colour with markers. Remember those in the 70’s?? I have always liked doing crafty things so but not as varied as some of you who have responded
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everyone else I've been a crafter for a long time - at least 60 years! Started with the potholder loom as a kid. After I got married I was into sewing clothes for me and my daughter when she was little, halloween costumes, counted cross stitch, crocheting, cake decorating, sewing home decor and gifts, tried tole painting but wasn't very good at that, stenciling, grapevine wreaths, and have been papercrafting for about 8 years. I love to make cards and not just a card projects. Crafting keeps me sane!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

After reading all the hobby journey stories, I had forgotten about candlemaking, yep did that too. I remember making clothes for my dolls, baby dolls and barbie altho Barbie was way too skinny it was hard to make them fit as my baby dolls were easier to sew clothes for.

And all the Halloween costumes I made for my kids, Easter dresses, Flower girl dresses, Christmas capes, and I made the whole baby bedroom set (it was green and yellow so I used it for all 4 kids!!LOL) : Diaper stacker, wall organizer, quilt and dresser scarf.
I love hearing about all the craft hobbies.

CRAFT ON, Crafty Soldiers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is such a cool topic! I can remember my first crafty project, my Dad made me a empty thread spool with 4 nails. I made lots of pot holders! Since then, it's been knitting, sewing clothes for the kids, curtains, pillows, then crewel embroidery, counted cross stitch, dabbling in painting, rug hooking, stenciling borders on walls, and now for the last 5 years, card making only. My eyesight isn't what it once was so gave up everything except the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I also loved those big posters to colour with markers. Remember those in the 70’s?? I have always liked doing crafty things so but not as varied as some of you who have responded[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to add...I LOVED those posters and would color them endlessly.... Weren't they called 'Doodle-something'? One summer I was given some of their smaller color books and a set of 24 colored pencils. I was a maniac with that book! Horses, cats, the ocean, flowers, birds...you name it. Remember they would say they could be framed?? I actually had my mother frame one and I kept it for years! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 12:18 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Everything. It feels like I do everything. Both my parents were crafters and my Mom was a big star back in the day. I was always surrounded my something to play with.

My big loves-
Stamper, Scrapbooker & paper crafter since I was little. I was always making jewelry. Drawing, drawing and even more drawing. Then painting and color pencil.

Couture Sewing in my teens. Became more serious about marker/pencil work.

Cross-Stitcher in my twenties-thirties. Started working in the gaming world in my twenties. I think that counts, lol. Digital designer in my thirties.

Right now I am obsessed with diamond painting. I will always bead and do paper crafts. I love to cross-stitch.

I love any of the counting crafts like diamond painting, cross stitch, latch hooking, etc...

pepperann You can still get those posters at Dollar Tree & Hobby Lobby. I got a gorgeous Eiffel tower set at Dollar Tree. It was the same one being sold at Hobby Lobby for $8. There are three posters. Those posters are making a come back. I just got a coloring book that has pages and pages of those posters.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 12:30 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellyshirleyView Post
NOW.....My daughter is getting rid of all her gorgeous glass beads, beading tools, and all her beading supplies..... DARE I ADD ANOTHER CRAFT? These beads are calling my name and I just resist!!
I would have her whole collection in a snap if she offered it, lol. Yes, take them. I am enabling you. Girl, those are glass beads! You better take them.

Beading is a beautiful art form. I do incorporate my beading into my paper crafting. If that helps enable you some more. I have a bookshelf in my room and on those shelves are all my beads and my rubber stamps. My two most important art items.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 09:07 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Omg so many things! Started with needlepoint and crewel on needlepoint canvas, appliqué and fabric painting kids outfits. Jewelry making I have started and stopped over the years. Faux finishes on walls. Tile mosaics for lawn ornaments. I like repurposing household items to use for something else. ( I made a tile ladybug out of a bowling ball for my garden) I dabbled with sewing like simple pillows and costumes but not my favorite thing. I like crocheting rugs and soft baskets. I have Knitted a few simple scarves. Cardmaking and paper crafts like making jewelry boxes from mat board and memory books as gifts banners and holiday decor wedding favors Love all kinds of paper crafting! I have made wreaths. Candy I alcohol inked then resined my kitchen countertops and stained a concrete floor. I love all kinds of crafting and love to do repurposed Or up cycled crafts. Made a few cards a long time ago with hand embossing with brass stencils. Have recently started making cards using inks and dies and my cricut. So many things you can do with paper! Have done a bit of scrapbooking but it is not my “thing” although I like making mini albums. I am lucky to have a large craft room, and an extra room for storage. I also use the garage for the messier things like tile and glass mosaics. My husband hasn’t complained about it so far. Lol. I love it all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sewing
Cross-Stitching
Embroidery
Bargello
Crochet
Tatting (miserable failure!!!)
Knitting
Scrapbooking
Cardmaking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

I had a very crafty mother so right from young childhood on, I was colouring and painting. She taught me to sew and knit when I was about eight. And I used to love cutting things out - we had books of paper dolls and their clothes where everything had to be fussy cut - none of the pre-punched paper dolls kids have now! In the late 60s and early 70s, everyone was into crocheting so I picked that up then, as well as a bit of macrame. I got into card-making in my early 50s.

Nowadays, it's card-making and knitting for the most part. I also love baking and gardening so I consider those somewhat along the same lines as crafts.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post
Omg so many things! I like repurposing household items to use for something else. ( I made a tile ladybug out of a bowling ball for my garden) Lol. I love it all!

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of that ladybug...would you? I'd love to see it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Not very good pics. Comes out funny when I try to upload. But it is all glass tiles The red is 3 different shades not sure you can see it here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

This is one section of my kitchen counter that I inked and resined
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2019, 03:57 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

That ladybug is adorable and the counter top is beautiful!!! Thank you for showing us your talents! Awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2019, 04:53 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I really don't remember when I was into things, so well done for memories! When I was small, my godmother - who made the embellishments for hats for a millinery company in London - taught me various crafts, including basket-weaving. When I was at senior school, needlework was still taught: I helped with costumes for the nativity play each Christmas and after I left school continued to make my own clothes. My Mum taught me to knit and I knitted stuff for some years after that, but then there was a gap before I got back into crafting. In no particular order - because I can't remember the order - embroidery; jewellery-making; quilting; stamping; papercrafts. I still do some jewellery, very little embroidery, mainly stamping and papercrafts.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2019, 05:28 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndaejaneView Post
I really don't remember when I was into things, so well done for memories! When I was small, my godmother - who made the embellishments for hats for a millinery company in London - taught me various crafts, including basket-weaving. When I was at senior school, needlework was still taught: I helped with costumes for the nativity play each Christmas and after I left school continued to make my own clothes. My Mum taught me to knit and I knitted stuff for some years after that, but then there was a gap before I got back into crafting. In no particular order - because I can't remember the order - embroidery; jewellery-making; quilting; stamping; papercrafts. I still do some jewellery, very little embroidery, mainly stamping and papercrafts.

Lynda
I guess this thread proves when you are a crafty person you don’t limit yourself to any one thing unless you are drawn to and have a passion for a particular art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #29  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crafting Crazy

Well I always love the arts and crafts tent when I was a little girl at camp and my favorite thing to get was new crayons or markers… Not too much has changed except for the past six years I have both taken lessons and self-taught myself to play the electric bass guitar so that has pretty much precluded my paper crafting time since I have also maintained a full-time job. I am looking forward to getting back into paper crafting it really is my first love of crafting and goodness knows I have campus supplies and ideas. I also enjoy making jewelry and my biggest challenge is keeping my crafting area neat and having a flat surface on which to work. So my current goal is to get my craft room back up and running.
I feel that I have become somewhat proficient on the bass guitar so I can spend some time now getting back to my paper crafting and I had my first gig a week ago Saturday night and didn’t faint or wet my pants, Thank you for this thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve got a huge list:

Almost any type of needlework including crewel, embroidery, cross-stitch, tatting, bobbin lace, smocking, ribbon embroidery; woodworking (built a table and a workbench), almost every type of paper crafting including quilling, scrapbooking, 3-D items like boxes and bags, paper tole, card making, rubber stamping; sewing, bra making, quilting, heirloom sewing, lingerie sewing, couture sewing; macramé, wall painting and stencilling, Stained glass, folk art painting, watercolour painting, mixed media, altered and up cycled art, fabric painting, tie dye; beading and jewelry making, knitting and crochet, rug hooking, photography, basket weaving, flower arranging and wreaths, various home dec projects, baking; handmade soaps, toiletries and cosmetics; modern calligraphy using a dip pen AND I just added needle felting to the list! I don’t do all of these all the time. I mostly do paper crafts, jewelry and calligraphy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

This is an interesting topic... I'm enjoyed reading about everyone's crafting history.

Mine started after I got married. My mother-in-law was one of the most creative people I have ever met. We lived next door to one another for many years (till we lost her to cancer) She was also one of my best friends and we would get together many times to craft.
She is the one that taught me to sew (Don't do that anymore)
taught me to cross- stitch (Not doing that at the present)
Taught me to knit and crochet ( would like to get back to that again this winter)
Taught me to embroider, etc

In 2007, I joined Stplit coast Stampers and had about 3 rubber stamps in my collection. Shortly after that, I attended my first Stampin' Up class. Card making has been my favorite craft of all the crafting that I have done. Just don't ask me how many rubber stamps I have now since I joined Split coast. (I don't think even I want to know).
QFTD165
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2019, 01:46 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

So fun to see all the crafty things available and that all have enjoyed. I have to admit, there are a couple that I will have to look up... I’m not even sure what they are!

I always loved having the BIG box of crayons... I feel like I rediscovered the love of color with Copics all these years later.
My aunt bought me a latch-hook kit when I was little (7?) and I’m pretty sure that is what really got me started into handmade fun.
Cross stitch was my next love and I still have two of the boxes with my colored threads sorted out. I was going to give them away, but bought a couple of dies that will let me add some simple designs to cards, instead

My grandmother taught me how to crochet when I was little and still do that from time to time.

Learned to sew in high school and still make things occasionally. My last project was a couple of reusable market bags. I had planned to make shoe bags for the girls at work as a Christmas gifts but we decided to do a simple themed gift exchange instead. Maybe next year.

Became interested in card making about 20 years ago simply because I couldn’t find cards I liked. Would like the outside but it would have the wrong sentiment or something like that. That interest helped me make friends who got together to scrap once a week or so and so I do some of that, as well. But card-making is definitely my THING.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #33  

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post
This is one section of my kitchen counter that I inked and resined

WOW! I LOVE IT!

Did you ink first and then resin over it?

It's beautiful 😍

​​​​​​Also- what is the base that you applied the ink to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2019, 09:30 AM   #34  

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

I've been crafting almost since I could hold a crayon. I have a picture I drew when I was 3 that is entirely different colored circles (lines only, not colored in). I had a prett decent eye for color back then
I learned how to sew when I was about 9 or 10 and made 95% of my kids costumes and about 30% of their day to day wear when they were young. You know, back when sewing was a cheaper way to have nice clothes...
I used to cross-stitch on a daily basis but even though I still have all my threads from way back when, I haven't really stitched anything of significance in well over a decade.
I also crochet on a regular basis, and I design/make seed bead jewelry.
I took ceramics in high school and absolutely loved it and had I had the space I probably would have purchased a kiln and a wheel and kept going with it. If that had been the case then stamping would have never crossed my radar.

Crafts I've dabbled in but haven't gone whole hog yet are mosaics, macrame, sketching/painting, resin art.

I don't understand how people that don't craft even the littlest tiny bit, get through life. My creativity is my therapy and I'd be lost without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

So.... the bottom line is ......DON'T BE AFRAID OF STARTING A NEW CRAFT!!
Hurray!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2019, 07:03 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

When I was little I was taught to embroider by my mom and grandma everything from handkerchiefs to sections for quilts. Later we would all go to my grandma's and hand quilt the sewn-together pieces. I got a new box of crayons every year in my stocking and still love the smell of them. Coloring books were my favorite. I was given a good scissors at a young age and not only cut out paper dolls and clothes, but cut the pictures off greeting cards to use to make gift cards (using blank business-sized cards you could buy in little boxes of maybe 50-100) and to decorate gifts that were wrapped in plain colored tissue paper, so I learned to fussy cut early and still love it. My mom was an amazing seamstress and so i ended up sewing doll clothes and all my own clothes---even sport jackets and ties for my husband, business suits and dresses for myself, coats and all the clothes for my daughter (I even made her wedding dress) and pants, shirts and coats for my two sons. Since retirement, I have sewn much less, as I need much less, but still enjoy sewing. I have done macramé, decoupage, knitting, crocheting, tried tatting and could never master it (would love to give it a go again some time), smocking, ceramics, wood burning, glass etching, leather tooling, beading, hardanger, block printing, and all the crafts I did with kids at home and in the clubs they were in---shrinky dinks, dough art, paper beads, origami, weaving. It wasn't until my kids were grown and gone that I got into stamping and it has become my main focus in retirement. So many of the other crafts I have done can be incorporated along with hand stamped cards and cards have a continuous purpose, so it fills so many of my desires. I'm so fortunate to have a designated craft room to play in every day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2019, 04:42 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Love reading all these crafting histories . Mine is similar. Loved coloring when young and paper dolls were my favorite. Stated embroidery in early teens, my Mom taught me. Made lots of embroidered pillow cases. Various crafts throughout my teens, started sewing when in high school. Early twenties, sewed clothes for myself and daughter. In my thirties, I was introduced to ceramics...loved it. Took classes with local artist for many years...moved into porcelain work and learned the pouring, firing processes. Never had my own equipment but helped the instructor with the behind the scenes work in her basement studio, . entered pieces in shows and won several ribbons. Enjoyed that greatly. I got hooked on Scrapbooking in my 40's. and have worked on albums for 30+ years. I would say that hobby has dropped off and I am about 3-4 years behind in keeping up. I still make special albums for my grand kids, and great grand kids as gifts. Starting using stamps in my scrapbooks in the early 1990's...made a few cards but focus was on the books. Photography was a big focus during those years also. I also got into building and decorating doll houses in the 1990's. Competed at various shows and won several first place ribbons and also had my main Victorian house featured in Miniature Collector magazine , quite an honor. My DH taught me how to make windows, siding, roofing from wood materials and also learned use of hobby tools and equipment. I did all the work and remade several features for the house and added wallpapering, electrical and lighting...it was very rewarding. I now need to repair these and sell them. The scrapbooking hobby lasted the longest but gardening, and other cement crafts, garden art happened along the way. I was introduced to mixed media and dappled some until I retired in 2012 and focused more on tag making (Tim Holtz influence) card making and other paper crafts. Started Art Journaling after watching video's and started following blogs from artists that created for a living in this art. Fascinated by the open ended scope of what you could create and the materials used. Card making increased and I use these techniques in cards. Moved on to canvas art, included mix media and advanced use of acrylic paints. 2016 got brave enough to take some water coloring painting classes from local artist that taught in her home. I got hooked. One of my goals was to attempt watercolor painting. I now have taken tons of classes, locally and on-line. I use various techniques in card making also. I also advanced in art journaling and teach a 6 week class annually at a local community center. I enjoy the teaching portion and watching participants express themselves. Currently, I am also enjoying learning how to make Junk Journals and express yourself using all sorts of materials. Tea dying papers, sewing together signatures for the journals, embellishments in fabrics and lace, hunting for old books, water color illustrations, children's books, floral and gardening books, taking them apart, fussy cutting and re-creating...WOW, all the paper crafting, stamping, inking, antique junking...you name it combined into one hobby.
I guess the lesson is to never stop learning and extend yourself . I am now in my 70's and find these hobbies provide me with joy and I am grateful that I am able to continue enjoying them. Splitcoasters has also been one of those learning avenues for me and I thank you all for sharing.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2019, 05:20 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh my goodness! I am absolutely amazed at the talent I've read about. I think I made a potholder when I was little, used to design clothes for my paper dolls, but nothing else. I started scrapbooking twenty years ago, and followed that with card making. I'm going to try getting back into scrapbooking again, but I make cards all the time. You people are all so incredibly talented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love reading about all the different crafts people have done and are still doing! I started embroidering and sewing when I was really young. One of my best Christmas gifts (I think the only one I can remember from Santa) was a little woven sewing box with handles. I still have it and it looks just like the day I got it! My mom and aunts and I made all the Barbie clothes that I had, and my dad made a beautiful wardrobe to hang the clothes - still have it and the clothes. My dad was into woodworking and my mom loved baking and crocheting and embroidering, so I felt I came by all this naturally. I moved on to sewing clothes for myself. We lived on a farm and not very close to a large city so that was the easiest way to get clothes and it was cheaper to sew them than to buy them - that's not been the case for a long time. Made most of my clothes until my late 20s when I got frustrated with patterns not fitting. I miss it, but it is expensive to sew now. I have done many of the other needle crafts - lots of embroidery, crewel, counted cross stitch, hardanger, tatting, crocheting. At Christmas I would get craft kits; leather, tile, paint by number, etc. Loved them all. In my mid 20s I really got hooked on ceramics (from molds not the wheel). Loved all the different things I could make and techniques I could try. This was always done at a teacher's home and it also was a social event for me. Sadly, I worked pretty fast and it became a very expensive hobby and I decided I didn't have the money for it. Now I don't think in my area you can find anyone that teaches ceramics classes - I could afford it now and would love to do it again. I started stamping when my son was little and have been doing that ever since. I also "collect" beads and beading supplies. I think part of that is that I am attracted to shiny things LOL. I have a whole cabinet of supplies that would probably make enough to fill a Claire's! Over the years I have dabbled in so many crafts, but mainly card making now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Wish you wanted to move to this area. Our town has a ceramics place that offers classes. they even sell bowls to make money to feed the poor. Haven't gotten back into ceramics yet, but maybe I will.
Reply With Quote Likes