Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craftroom

I am a card maker from Snellville, Ga. I would like to have some cabinets built for my craft room. I had some consultations from two closet companies. My concern with using closet companies is will their material used be strong enough for stamps. If you have used a closet company for cabinets be give me some advise or if you are in the Atlanta area and know of someone that design cabinets please let me know.

Thanks,
Nancy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2021, 04:15 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I don't have a resource for you but just wanted to say hello! My family lives in your area so it brought a smile to my heart to see your location

If you can't find a contact, send me a message. My brother is a contractor (plumber and does all kinds of remodels) and may know someone in the area who can help you. But I'm sure you are looking for first-hand knowledge...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLGainesView Post
I am a card maker from Snellville, Ga. I would like to have some cabinets built for my craft room. I had some consultations from two closet companies. My concern with using closet companies is will their material used be strong enough for stamps. If you have used a closet company for cabinets be give me some advise or if you are in the Atlanta area and know of someone that design cabinets please let me know.

Thanks,
Nancy
Are you on Facebook? If so, there's a group called Craft room Organization- 52 Weeks to an organized.........
Anyhow a lot of people in the group use Ikea and Stamp-n-Storage products to make pretty amazing creative spaces.

May I ask why you are wanting a closet company to do the cabinetry? I'm not sure if over time the shelving will hold up to the weight of stamps and other heavy paper crafting supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Perhaps we are getting our wires confused.
Maybe you mean to be saying you are using a cabinet company-not a closet company?

Cabinets like we use in the kitchen...if they are well bolted to walls and ceilings should definitely hold heavy craft supplies. "Well" being the operative word. My first set of kitchen cabs from original construction of the building only had a couple of bolts at the top. I have NO idea how they did not fall out of the wall. Current have them whole height of cab plus I had 2 x4s mounted to the ceiling and then the cabs to them.

Cabinets can be super expensive. McGuire did a mix between top quality and IKEA. You might save a lot of money if you can find some on clearance from mfgs.

If you indeed mean closet-like you are outfitting a big closet to hold supplies...um...I dont know. Depends is my answer. I would probably put the heavy stuff on low shelves. If you are trying to use that kind of shelving along a craft room wall...I have no idea. Depends on how strong the wire shelving itself is. Ask at the store what the total load for them is. I would definitely be using good mollies in the wall. I went with bracket shelves. Totally adjustable and holds tons. You can use pre-cut shelves from home depot or have them cut from existing boards. I have done both. But you have to have STRONG brackets and supports.

HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I wonder if the closet companies Nancy talks about are the ones who use wood or laminated products and not the wire shelving type? My husband did ours and they are a laminate over press board. He did every closet in the house and they hold anything and everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2021, 07:58 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from Griffin GA! We used to live in Suwanee, just around the corner from you. Closet companies are crazy expensive. I'm sure you have thought of this but Ikea seems to be the place most go for furniture for craft rooms, including myself. It really can't be beat and then you could add moulding, etc to make it appear more finished. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know nothing about hiring cabinetmakers, closet companies, etc. But I can tell you that my Closetmaid shelving system is great. It holds quite a bit of weight and, unlike my former 1"x12" board shelves, they do not sag. Down side is that the brackets can get in the way.

My craft closet is small, 4-feet wide and about 18" deep. My son put three rails on the back wall, attaching them to the drywall with toggle bolts. Then we added the brackets and shelves. We have the same setup in both of our bedroom closets the past 10 years and have been happy with it. They are just plastic coated wire shelves. Not pretty to look at but a great combination of strength and affordability.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the built-in shelves and drawers in a closet for my stamping supplies. I haven't had any problems with either the drawers or the shelves being overloaded.
I got rid of nearly all my wood-mounted stamps, but previously these shelves were loaded with them. And I keep all my steel rule dies on one shelf with no problems so far.
I think you should be fine using a closet company, I would just check with them in the beginning and confirm that their units can take some weight. Mine were originally just for clothing etc but are going strong. They are all wall mounted (not on the floor at all).
(These were installed by a local (Sacramento, CA) company called Closet Doctor.)
Attached Thumbnails
Craftroom-stamp-closet.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Whenever I buy anything with drawers, I make certain they pull all the way out (with a stopper, but still removable if necessary) so I can see everything in them at one time. A friend had a closet company do her young son's closet several years ago, and couldn't understand why he never wore certain things; he couldn't see or reach them! This rule applies to any room in our house.

I'd consider closet companies and kitchen remodelers (including IKEA, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.). Remember that they change over their sample rooms occasionally and sell the old stock, also that nearly every supplier makes good-better-best qualities, and that they can tell you how much weight each type of drawer material and slides can handle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

strengthwise they should hold weight of craft supplies, but ....

I have a dressing room made by a well known closet company. It is over 15 years old. I have had shrinking of wood under the laminate and the fronts have popped on some drawers. That is easy to glue back, but the well used drawers have laminate that wants to peel off. That is not good. I had one replaced but was charged a fee. Now others are suffering the same.

They have changed things in the years, but For crafting, I recommend good paint job such as used on kitchen cabinets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2021, 01:47 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

IKEA has lots of great products and all the ones I use have held up very well. The down-side is having to put them together yourself. The upside is saving LOTS of money so you can buy more card making supplies. It's easy to go online and view their products, design your dream room, make a list of all you need, spend the day shopping and having lunch and ending up with a beautiful craft room. Kallax has a good line. A simple crown molding across the top give them a built in custom look. Be sure to post pictures so we can admire your new space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLGainesView Post

Thanks,
Nancy
Hey Nancy. I live in Hoschton and have used Cabinet and Stone City in Norcross. Rick was the designer I used. They also have stores in Cumming and Kennesaw. I have renovated and built several homes and have used them in laundry rooms as well as full kitchens. The cabinets are made in China and have a solid plywood box vs medium density fiberboard which is what most manufacturer’s offer at the big box stores. The selection is not great but I tend to choose shaker doors which to me are timeless. The pricing comes with granite tops, soft closing doors/drawers and you have 10 or so granites to choose from.

In my workroom I have Ballard Designs original office furniture. I have found that it works quite well if you can manipulate their planning program to meet your specifications. We have moved these into 3 different homes and I love them! Very efficient use of space for me! There is an outlet in Roswell that offers them at a discount. Good luck and enjoy your new room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Dreambox from Create Room. They are pricey, but I love mine. It is my second one, sort of. I also have a Workbox, which is the first one they made. It is really sturdy and it has a lot of storage space that is designed with crafting in mind. They are made in the U.S., so that's another reason I like supporting them. Right now it's taking about 4 months to get one because of the issues with sourcing materials. If you have any questions, I be happy to talk to you.

OH!! I think they are having a Mother's Day sale right now, which is the biggest sale of the year after Black Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2021, 01:59 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree about kitchen cabinets: my small craft room has kitchen wall cabinets down both sides and round the corner at one end. In that corner I also have a big kitchen corner floor cupboard, which takes large sheets of paper. Countertop down both sides, with trolleys under. Everything is super-strong because it's meant to take crockery and cookware. I would think that, even in a closet, you could have kitchen cabinets: floor and wall cabinets, plus you could have countertop on the floor cupboard and use whatever storage you wanted standing on top. If you wanted deeper wall cupboards, a good carpenter should be able to fit them to the wall without the back panels. We don't have closet companies over here, but I guess they'd be pretty expensive, like the fitted bedroom furniture companies are over here.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

We used California Closets for all our closets and the kitchen pantry when building 27 years ago. Everything is still in like-new condition. I just checked online and they make and install systems for craft rooms. They look beautiful! I am jealous. Good luck to you, NLGaines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to second the suggestion of Ikea. The shelves units are very versatile and last forever. Also, if you go the built-in cabinet route, remember that you can't move them, take them with you if you move, or re-configure them. They do come as flat-pack but even if you pay those flat-pack guys, it's still probably cheaper than going the bespoke cabinet or closet route.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:31 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a very small closet in my crafting room - a bedroom first, then converted. It used to have a small folding door that I took off because it played havoc with pricey real estate in the room and in the closet. The bit problem in the closet was that the renters in before we bought the house had somehow managed to bolt a 1 1/4" piece of oak to the wall as a shelf and we could NOT remove it. Trust me, 15 men in my family tried!

My niece and I settled on a heavy duty wire closet shelving unit - really heavy duty~ that was long enough for the closet and we could put the shelves at whatever intervals I wanted to. To solve the problem of having wire bumps in paper that I was storing flat on some of the shelf units, I found some 1/4" formica which was perfect! Lowe's cut it to length for me, it was cheap as the dickens, the wire unit was on sale, and presto, I was in business.

Annnd...my niece and her hubs came to install it for me : It had to be installed in the closet, and the tops of the support poles needed to be cut and ground down to fit under the $#!@ shelf we couldn't remove. I definitely use said shelf, but it did make this project a pain.

1/2 a day later, I was all installed, and by the end of the afternoon, most of my paper and stored stamp sets were in. And, oooh, it looked so pretty!!! I put in two bright LED light switches, cheap but really bright, and voila! I can see, I have space, and I like it!!!

So low tech with a little help from your family may be another way to go, if your closet isn't all that spacious. Or maybe even if it is.

P.S. I even have room under mine for those things you might want to put under there - rolled up bits and pieces, things you can look at the top of and know what it is...etc.
Reply With Quote Likes