Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2021, 10:59 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Crafting New Year's Goals

I always look forward to the New Year's goal's. I didn't see a thread yet. I hope it's ok I started one.

What is everyone's goals for 2022?

Mine are-
Since I have the big move coming up I own a lot of books for ephemera. I need to tear up those books. I will be tearing up the books, putting images into categories so I won't have to move over three hundred books.

Stamping- I need to up my stamping. I just went through all my stamps to ready for the move. I realized that I buy the same themes over and over again. I want to buy new themes to add to my collection.

Inks- It is the same thing. Organizing my inks for the move I noticed I tend to buy a little bit conservative- same company, same types. I would like to branch out and try some different inks.

The big one I just want to not plan anything and just let my art be fun. This year was all pressure. That was not fun. I won't ever do that again. It was also the year of ruined projects. Example- Have only twenty minutes to finish coloring a page. Get up to check laundry. Come back and find out that your cat stuck his paw in your tea glass and then walked all over your coloring page. This has been my year, lol.

Disclaimer- I know it's been a hard & challenging few years for so many of us. I know a lot of us don't feel like crafting. I hope this doesn't make anyone feel sad but it can inspire.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2021, 11:49 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I missed a few months of crafting time in 2021 because of a move then I hit it hard to use all my new things, make dozens of cards for a charity and, of course, Christmas. Now it is time to put cardmaking on the back burner and finish a shelf full of scrapbooks that are started to some degree.
And catch up on printing photos!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by lutheran:
Dockside (12-27-2021), lylacfey (12-27-2021), mcschmidty (12-29-2021), pepperann (12-29-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 02:41 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Thank you for starting this thread! It's always interesting to see what people are considering for the new year

I don't think I have goals for the whole year, really just the next few months.

Lately, I've been scrapbooking a little again. Current focus: update our vacation book and also do a small book about the new things I've been trying since I hit 50.

Classes - I purchased a couple of art classes so I can improve my skills and better use my stash.

A friend asked me to sell cards at her booth (local markets). I need to decide how heavily I want to pursue that.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
lylacfey (12-27-2021), mcschmidty (12-29-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 06:51 AM   #4  

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

I love reading this thread each year! My crafty goal is more like a mission, or a calling, that I feel - to use the cards I make to send hope, encouragement, and joy.

It is almost impossible for me to make cards without a solid purpose in mind. The card does not have to be made for a specific person, but I do need a purpose - donating what I'm making to the Meals on Wheels program near me, to send to our sponsor children, to send to seniors I meet in my volunteer work that are homebound, to gift to people who love to send handmade cards, etc.

So, my goal would be to continue to make cards according to what I feel called to do and to keep my eyes and ears open for even more opportunities to send hope, encouragement, and joy via cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 9 users liked this post by cnsteele:
Cathy'sFancy (12-29-2021), debable (01-05-2022), fl_beachbum (12-28-2021), harvestmoon (01-04-2022), hultenlk (01-08-2022), lylacfey (12-27-2021), MangieB (01-05-2022), mcschmidty (12-29-2021), pepperann (12-29-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 290 Likes on 192 Posts

My goal is to use the stuff I have! I started making cards again in the fall of 2020. I’ve gone on a couple (okay, numerous) shopping sprees since then. I figured out a storage system and the first thing I did when I got something new was to put it away where it belonged. Well, guess what?! Some of those things haven’t been used. So, I ordered a couple of refrigerator bins which will allow me to spread out my stamp sets and dies between them. My theory is that will make it easier to look thru what’s there. Also, one of the bins will be for new stuff (actually, maybe two bins to start) and I will not put anything in it’s assigned location until I use it at least once. My thinking behind that is once I use something, I’m more likely to remember I have it and then I won’t just grab the 4 or 5 stamp sets that I usually use.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 12 users liked this post by PJBstamper2:
Bohodiva (12-29-2021), cheermom (01-02-2022), ChrisO (12-29-2021), debable (01-05-2022), Kristy Tyra (01-05-2022), lylacfey (12-27-2021), mcschmidty (12-29-2021), merollin (01-05-2022), papercrafter40 (01-07-2022), Ragtop (12-28-2021), Stampnnatter (12-30-2021), susanbri (01-05-2022)
Old 12-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

cnsteele- I love your idea for making cards for charity, especially Meals on Wheels. I will have to check with my local chapter to see if they would like me to do that. I am a big Meals on Wheels supporter.

PJBStamper I love your idea of refrigerator bins. That is brilliant.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lylacfey:
mcschmidty (12-29-2021), pepperann (12-29-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:20 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

PJBStamper I love your idea of refrigerator bins. That is brilliant.
I can’t take credit for the idea. I can’t remember where I saw it - probably in a Youtube video
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by PJBstamper2:
lylacfey (12-29-2021), mcschmidty (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 02:16 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Just to make cards again.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by wavejumper:
fl_beachbum (12-30-2021), gothchic (12-31-2021), harvestmoon (01-04-2022), lylacfey (12-29-2021), mcschmidty (12-29-2021), pepperann (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 03:10 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

[Originally Posted by lylacfeyForums at Splitcoaststampers
PJBStamper I love your idea of refrigerator bins. That is brilliant] .( I can’t take credit for the idea. I can’t remember where I saw it - probably in a Youtube video)

I tried to find a video on it, but only came up with actual bins inside the refrigerator. Can you post a pic showing how you use these in your craft room? thanks

My goal is to continue my Card Mission (I do all the cards for my church since 2007) but trying to branch out to other places. I already do donate to some of the Cards for a Cause forum, but would like to do more locally.

I also have never started scrapbooks for my kids (ages 44 and 41) nor my grandchildren (ages 22,21,20,1 but did do a baby's first year for my great granddaughter. I'm not a scrapbooker and didn't enjoy the one for the baby (a lot more work than expected) but I do need to do them. I presently have all the info in my filing cabinet with folders on each child/grandchild. I bought the scrapbooks a couple of years ago, but have not been able to find the plastic pages. The one pack I did find at Walmart was short a page or two and when I tried to write to the company, it says the website is discontinued yet I still see their products at Walmart.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
mcschmidty (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 04:47 AM   #10  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Here’s how I use the fridge bins. I have larger ones for large stamps and stencils.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 12 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
Benzi (12-30-2021), Bohodiva (12-29-2021), cheermom (01-02-2022), ChrisO (12-29-2021), Cindy H. (01-05-2022), fl_beachbum (12-30-2021), from the heart (01-05-2022), lesliespringer (12-29-2021), mcschmidty (12-29-2021), merollin (01-05-2022), pepperann (12-29-2021), smhtwin (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:18 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I didn't know we have a CardsForACause forum here. The things you learn. The things I am embarrassed about because I should pay attention better, lol.

mac4551- I use to scrapbook, traditionally. It is a lot of work. I agree with you. I create my own books where I just treat it like a photo album, add some journaling. Then if I want to add memorabilia I will create a page just for that. It's a combination of a hybrid Project Life/Smash Book. I use three ring notebooks. If you are looking for inspiration of no fuss scrap booking check out Sandy Hearn. She has a really small YouTube channel but she makes the cutest traditional pages in like five minutes. She's uses three ring notebooks too. It is a lot easier to get protector's.

wavejumper- I want to get back into card making too. I finally miss it. I needed a long break from it. I was putting to much pressure on myself. I was making cards for people who expect to much. My big goal for 2022 is no pressure for anything. I can't create when I am under pressure of any kind whether it's art related or not art related. I really do want to start doing snail mail again & making cards.

Lydia- I love the refrigerator bins. I want to do this when I move to my new home. I am really excited about the refrigerator bins. I love my baskets I use now. I love to flip through things quickly and then put it back. Baskets are not that durable. I have been looking for something that is durable and cute.

Reply With Quote Likes
mcschmidty (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #12  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I didn't know we have a CardsForACause forum here. The things you learn. The things I am embarrassed about because I should pay attention better, lol.

mac4551- I use to scrapbook, traditionally. It is a lot of work. I agree with you. I create my own books where I just treat it like a photo album, add some journaling. Then if I want to add memorabilia I will create a page just for that. It's a combination of a hybrid Project Life/Smash Book. I use three ring notebooks. If you are looking for inspiration of no fuss scrap booking check out Sandy Hearn. She has a really small YouTube channel but she makes the cutest traditional pages in like five minutes. She's uses three ring notebooks too. It is a lot easier to get protector's.

wavejumper- I want to get back into card making too. I finally miss it. I needed a long break from it. I was putting to much pressure on myself. I was making cards for people who expect to much. My big goal for 2022 is no pressure for anything. I can't create when I am under pressure of any kind whether it's art related or not art related. I really do want to start doing snail mail again & making cards.

Lydia- I love the refrigerator bins. I want to do this when I move to my new home. I am really excited about the refrigerator bins. I love my baskets I use now. I love to flip through things quickly and then put it back. Baskets are not that durable. I have been looking for something that is durable and cute.
I love how neat they look and that they're all the same size - those are Billy Bookcases from IKEA which they fit perfectly.

Cards for a cause ROCKS.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
lylacfey (01-06-2022), pepperann (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Hello

Hi,
I have so many goals for 2022, first is to use items that have not been used. I organize by stamp company, but may consider putting all of my Christmas stamps together. After this Christmas season of stamping, I realized I had more that I could have used.
I love the neat look of the refrigerator bins. I have plastic bin, most are pink, and I have the stamps by company in them. I also store my wood stamps in portfolio cases and in a drawer unit- there thay are sorted by theme, not by company.

My piano teacher collects cards for Meals on Wheels thru the Girl Scouts. It is wonderful- they do not require envelopes. I also send cards (with envelopes) to the USO at Ohare airport for traveling soldiers to pick up.

I am also going to try to make themed card kits for some of the senior centers and use up older (retired) cardstocks and DP I have. Also, use up more of the left over card kit images I have : )

That said, I am going to try to continue using more generic sentiments this year, like Thinking of you, Sympathy, Happy Birthday etc.... And, will try to make Christmas cards throughout the year.

Shelly

Reply With Quote Likes
pepperann (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Lydia - thanks so much for sharing your picture! My bins arrive today and it will be awhile until I get the organized
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I want to get the craft room organized (like no piles on the floor?). DH bought me a couple of neat drawer units for markers, and I've filled those and put them on the pegboard shelves, but then found a bunch more markers. I'll need another unit! This is it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193500636426
I also need to actually USE the things I buy. I have SO much that hasn't gotten used yet. I have way too much stuff. I culled a bunch of things and sent a medium flat rate box to another crafter, and it felt good!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
[Originally Posted by [b]lylacfeyForums at Splitcoaststampers
PJBStamper I love your idea of refrigerator bins. That is brilliant] .( I can’t take credit for the idea. I can’t remember where I saw it - probably in a Youtube video)

I tried to find a video on it, but only came up with actual bins inside the refrigerator. Can you post a pic showing how you use these in your craft room? thanks

My goal is to continue my Card Mission (I do all the cards for my church since 2007) but trying to branch out to other places. I already do donate to some of the Cards for a Cause forum, but would like to do more locally.

I also have never started scrapbooks for my kids (ages 44 and 41) nor my grandchildren (ages 22,21,20,1 but did do a baby's first year for my great granddaughter. I'm not a scrapbooker and didn't enjoy the one for the baby (a lot more work than expected) but I do need to do them. I presently have all the info in my filing cabinet with folders on each child/grandchild. I bought the scrapbooks a couple of years ago, but have not been able to find the plastic pages. The one pack I did find at Walmart was short a page or two and when I tried to write to the company, it says the website is discontinued yet I still see their products at Walmart.
Just a note and something to think about.
I know people still scrapbook and digital scrapbook, but I would ask your children and grandchildren if they are interested in the books before you make them. I have just recently learned my 24 year old daughter does not want any of her childhood "stuff" I have 3 large packing boxes downstairs to go through. She lives in a small apartment and does not have much room for storage of said items. I am keeping her photo albums at my house. My son joined the Army and can't take any of these kinds of items to his barracks, especially if he gets deployed. The younger generation is living minimally.

Maybe put the photos in a nice box that won't take up much room.

It's going to break my heart getting rid of these things but the memories are there.
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (01-06-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 01:35 PM   #17  

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Just a note and something to think about.
I know people still scrapbook and digital scrapbook, but I would ask your children and grandchildren if they are interested in the books before you make them. I have just recently learned my 24 year old daughter does not want any of her childhood "stuff" I have 3 large packing boxes downstairs to go through. She lives in a small apartment and does not have much room for storage of said items. I am keeping her photo albums at my house. My son joined the Army and can't take any of these kinds of items to his barracks, especially if he gets deployed. The younger generation is living minimally.

Maybe put the photos in a nice box that won't take up much room.

It's going to break my heart getting rid of these things but the memories are there.
Don't be so quick to toss those things! Your children as this stage of their lives may not want them (or have the space for them) but that could change as they get older. I wasn't much interested in old photos and childhood keepsakes in my early twenties but a few years later when I had children, those things were very interesting to me. Now, at 46, the photos are what I value the most. I'm so glad my mom and grandma kept those!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 11 users liked this post by cnsteele:
Alice in Md (12-30-2021), Cathy'sFancy (12-29-2021), Dockside (01-06-2022), fl_beachbum (12-30-2021), harvestmoon (01-04-2022), lylacfey (01-06-2022), MangieB (01-05-2022), merollin (01-05-2022), pepperann (12-29-2021), PJBstamper2 (12-29-2021), Theresa2022 (01-05-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

My goal is to continue using what I have (a novel idea!—-ha ha) and continue to make cards for assisted living places and nursing homes. Many can not leave their facilities due to COVID or medical issues to shop for cards and they absolutely love whatever is made. It takes the pressure off me to “make perfect cards.” And the level of appreciation is 10-fold!

Repeat. Use what you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by stampwithjoanne:
cnsteele (12-30-2021), harvestmoon (01-04-2022), Kristy Tyra (01-05-2022), lylacfey (01-06-2022), MangieB (01-05-2022), mof118 (01-01-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:15 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post
My goal is to use the stuff I have! I started making cards again in the fall of 2020. I’ve gone on a couple (okay, numerous) shopping sprees since then. I figured out a storage system and the first thing I did when I got something new was to put it away where it belonged. Well, guess what?! Some of those things haven’t been used. So, I ordered a couple of refrigerator bins which will allow me to spread out my stamp sets and dies between them. My theory is that will make it easier to look thru what’s there. Also, one of the bins will be for new stuff (actually, maybe two bins to start) and I will not put anything in it’s assigned location until I use it at least once. My thinking behind that is once I use something, I’m more likely to remember I have it and then I won’t just grab the 4 or 5 stamp sets that I usually use.
I'm there with you on having (too many) new products that have not been touched and need to be used before putting them away to be forgotten.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I started a 2022 project list which includes building inventory for upcoming craft fairs. It's a start but as time passes I know it will grow.
  • Mini memory albums
  • Junk journals
  • denim market bags
  • body & bath products
  • beaded wrap bracelets
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2021, 04:04 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I am making myself leave new things on my desk in plain view until I use them. It helps me to not buy more because having piles of things on my desk annoys me! lol

Shelly - I moved my Christmas supplies over to their own bin along with winter images (I only have a few). It was great for me for exactly the reason you said - it made me realize I had a couple of images I hadn't used yet (bought on clearance last year), helped me focus this year and also highlighted that I didn't really need more winter things. I live in Florida so I just don't feel compelled to use too many winter/snow/etc things.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
Bohodiva (12-30-2021), Kristy Tyra (01-05-2022), mcschmidty (01-01-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Too true, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 12 users liked this post by Bohodiva:
Carol W (01-17-2022), Chris4436 (01-07-2022), ChrisO (12-30-2021), harvestmoon (01-04-2022), Here and There (01-05-2022), JoBear2 (01-02-2022), MangieB (01-05-2022), mof118 (01-01-2022), papercrafter40 (01-07-2022), pepperann (01-02-2022), SuzyS1104 (01-01-2022), wavejumper (01-06-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I'm excited about making the journal albums and using up all those scraps, ephemera collections, and embellishments.
My on-going goal is to shop my supplies and use up what I have.
  • print more digital papers and ephemera
  • stain my own cardstock and paper (using re-inkers for pads I no longer have in my stash, coffee and teas)
  • use my sewing machine more often to embellish work
However, I did take advantage of the pre-holiday sales to purchase tools, cardstock/ paper and adhesives. The only ink pads I added to my collection are Archival mini sets (1, 2, & 3). and Villianous Distress ink pad. No dies, stamp sets, embellishments, markers, pencils, paints, inks, stencils, etc... I will use what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2021, 12:48 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Don't be so quick to toss those things! Your children as this stage of their lives may not want them (or have the space for them) but that could change as they get older. I wasn't much interested in old photos and childhood keepsakes in my early twenties but a few years later when I had children, those things were very interesting to me. Now, at 46, the photos are what I value the most. I'm so glad my mom and grandma kept those!
Oh I'm keeping all the photos of course. But thinks like old stuffed animals, cards and trinkets, kink knacks from when they were babies and up to 10 years of age they are not interested in.

All the old kids books that I was able to save, couldn't save many books as we were Air Force and moved. I am going to try to sell. They said if the ever need any children's books they will by them when needed.

They have all their school yearbooks, but I might get rid on mine. I'm 59 and have not opened these books up for at least 7 years if longer.

I really need to clean the storage in the basement. I really have the urge to get rid of everything that has not been opened for the past 11 years when we moved here. I just feel real cluttered and I don't want to leave this stuff for my kids to clean up at a later date. There are some items I will have to hunt down a good antiques dealer for.

My daughter has another 3 1/2 years left at her university to complete her Masters/PHD program. And we may move maybe 5-10 more years, depending on our situation. Our son has 4 more years left in his Army enlistment. We will find out if he will reenlist in about 3 1/2 years.

And if I start going through things I can urge/suggest/tell/insist that my pack rat husband does the same LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lesliespringer:
cnsteele (01-01-2022), whim6915 (12-31-2021)
Old 01-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Default Clearance sale at Marshall's

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Here’s how I use the fridge bins. I have larger ones for large stamps and stencils.
These bins are on clearance at Marshall's if you're interested. I was going to pick up more photo boxes but selected these bins instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2022, 02:59 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I plan to make more thank you cards. Recently, I gave a thank you card to the receptionist at our local doctor's office because they have been so incredibly busy dealing with the Pandemic and making a gazillion appointments so people could have their COVID vaccinations. She was absolutely stunned and told me that they never get thank you cards & really appreciated it because they have dealt with some very rude people & they get the brunt of it either on the phone or in person. I felt so sorry for her & that spurred me on to make some more thank you cards & gave one to our local Pharmacist (I think you call them Drug Stores(?) in the USA - I'm in Australia) and he was so surprised & was also very appreciative.

I also want to keep making Christmas cards all year around as I always leave it too late & I am burning the midnight oil trying to get them done. Or at least colour lots of images in advance so that lessens the pressure.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by JoBear2:
cheermom (01-02-2022), MangieB (01-05-2022), merollin (01-05-2022), PJBstamper2 (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

For the new year, I'm all about organization. I'm reorganizing my dies in a new way because I hate the old way. I could never find anything. Scrapjanny also inspired me to use Evernote to catalog my stamps and dies. It's probably going to take months to get this done in my free time, but I know it will be worth it in the end.

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2022, 09:23 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I plan to use what I have more. I am having thumb surgery in 8 days and that will prevent me from stamping for a few months!! I sure hope I heal better than they say I will. Typically this surgery is a 3 month recovery and I can't even imagine how I will survive not stamping that long. But I will ... Need to learn to do everything with my left hand. I'm NOT looking forward to that!!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I plan to use what I have more. I am having thumb surgery in 8 days and that will prevent me from stamping for a few months!! I sure hope I heal better than they say I will. Typically this surgery is a 3 month recovery and I can't even imagine how I will survive not stamping that long. But I will ... Need to learn to do everything with my left hand. I'm NOT looking forward to that!!
Hang in there! I have MS and had a horrible relapse in late 2014 and early 2015; I thought it happened again and the doctor said it was the same. Anyway, I lost my right side as it wouldn't work and I am right handed. I had to write left handed. I wrote in very large letters as it was quite difficult. I will keep you in my prayers as this will be a trying time for you. Hopefully your stamp positioner, if you have one, will be your rescue as you stamp the same image over and over again.

My goals are to use what I own. I need to label my organization better and possibly change a few things. I may also begin donating or selling a few items.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
cheermom (01-05-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 08:45 PM   #30  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts
Default New Year’s crafting goals

My crafting goals are to use what I have, particularly to use the new-to-me stamps and tools I acquired in 2021 that I haven’t yet used. I bought quite a few things at an auction in 2021 that had belonged to a neighbor I had introduced to cardmaking nearly 20 years ago. Lots of oldies but goodies I look forward to using. Another of my goals is to upload more photos of my cards to my SCS gallery this year, primarily for my own reference in the future. Most of what I create are one of a kind, and it will be nice to be able to look back over them again once the cards are mailed.

Sewing is my other hobby. My goals in that department for this winter are to finish four UFOs that I started last year: a donation hospice quilt, which is well on the way to be completed, a Christmas tree skirt which needs just the right backing when I can find it, a tear-drop quilt made using scrap batiks given to me by one of my sisters, just because I love the bright colors, and the quilting of another quilt I started last winter, which I put aside because sewing it was making my hip sore. I do most of my sewing during the cold, winter months, and so far this fall/winter, until yesterday, we have had lots of warm weather, which I have so very much enjoyed! Now that it’s cold, I may get more sewing done.

Happy Winter, everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
debable (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 05:38 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually, you made me laugh with the image of your cat walking on your coloring page...just like a cat...
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (01-06-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 05:42 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I like your idea of having a bin for new items to be used before putting them away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2022, 08:03 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

2 years ago I purchased a stampin up demo's retired DSP and cardstock, over 1000 12x12 sheets. I cut the DSP down to 4 x 5 1/4 and adhered them to A2 bases cut from the cardstock, filed them in Iris photo boxes for the future. guess what! THE FUTURE IS NOW. I am methodically taking each of 8 storage boxes which hold 200+ cards and finishing them with images and sentiments. So far have completed 2 full boxes of fall, winter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Working on birthday and thinking of you. Feels so good to get these done and ready to ship to Carly Matthews at Cards for Soldiers, local Meals on Wheels, Vets Hospital and Vets Home. Another goal is to NOT BUY ANYTHING NEW UNTIL ALL MY dsp IS USED! Day 5 and so far have purchased nothing. Withdrawal is setting in but determined to overcome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 10 users liked this post by ondinesgirl:
Bohodiva (01-05-2022), Chris4436 (01-07-2022), ChrisO (01-05-2022), cnsteele (01-05-2022), debable (01-05-2022), lesliespringer (01-05-2022), lynnewithane (01-05-2022), MangieB (01-05-2022), UnderstandBlue (01-05-2022), wavejumper (01-06-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe Jennifer McGuire uses refrigerator bins. I put like stamps in plastic sleeves and then in bins. Then in 2 drawer cart. Very accessible - easy to find by category.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2022, 01:32 PM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondinesgirlView Post
2 years ago I purchased a stampin up demo's retired DSP and cardstock, over 1000 12x12 sheets. I cut the DSP down to 4 x 5 1/4 and adhered them to A2 bases cut from the cardstock, filed them in Iris photo boxes for the future. guess what! THE FUTURE IS NOW. I am methodically taking each of 8 storage boxes which hold 200+ cards and finishing them with images and sentiments. So far have completed 2 full boxes of fall, winter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Working on birthday and thinking of you. Feels so good to get these done and ready to ship to Carly Matthews at Cards for Soldiers, local Meals on Wheels, Vets Hospital and Vets Home. Another goal is to NOT BUY ANYTHING NEW UNTIL ALL MY dsp IS USED! Day 5 and so far have purchased nothing. Withdrawal is setting in but determined to overcome!!!
I like this idea. Maybe not on such a grand scale, but I like it. I struggle with coming up with ideas for cards, even with all the pictures online. I’m thinking that I can put together a bunch of card bases, then go about stamping images to add to them. I’m going to make this a goal. I will start pulling out old paper tomorrow! l’ve been spending my crafting time diamond painting lately. It doesn’t require thinking. So, I’m going to shift half that time back to card making.
Another goal is to organize and possibly purge my craft area.

Last edited by lynnewithane; 01-06-2022 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

I've made the matted card bases with printed papers... I had the best of intentions at the time.
I probably made a couple of dozen cards from the pile. The remaining cards ended up being set aside and forgotten. When I came across them years later, they were purged.
Lesson learned: I make only as many I need for a current project which is usually 12 cards in a theme series.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2022, 03:18 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

contrapat- I love your drawer unit for your markers. Those are beautiful.

Loving all the 2022 storage goals. I am taking lots of notes.

stampwithjoanne- I want to make cards for assisted living & nursing homes. For a long time I did this. Then I got burned out on cardmaking. I took a long break. Then the pandemic happened. Last year I was getting requests from my older loved ones if they could buy my cards, address labels, anything snail mail I could make. This group of older loved ones are addicted to their phones & really don't do snail mail. The pandemic they are all into the "snail mail" craze, lol. They can't hang out with each other like they used too. Now, they are sending lots & lots of mail. That is one of this years goals is to create more "snail mail" items for retirement homes. Note- When I say they want to buy snail mail items they are usually purchasing them with cookies, lol.

cheermom- Good luck with your surgery. I hope your hand heals fast. Sending you good healing wishes.

2022 Buying- I really don't think I will be buying anything new. I am not going to say it won't happen. I know it will. In the last few years, even before pandemic, I realized I hardly buy anything new, except stickers (I collect them). I prefer things I can find on the used market. I have been using my Xyron Design Runner & Making Memories Slice more than my new tools. That is ancient in the tech world, lol. I actually saw a few videos from the Gen Z snail mailers who are crazy about the Xyron Design Runner. How funny is that? I love it. Even when I buy new the product has been out for a long time. I just bought the Wendy Vecchi Stay-tion. I just bought the Cricut Maker. The original one. I am a tech girl that loves older crafting tools, lol. I love older stamps & dies. They are inspirational to me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Lydia I am impressed you can remember what are in the bins. I have to label mine.

I am also impressed with people who store by company...NO WAY would I remember which ones have the Christmas or the whatever. I MUST store by topic.

IMHO
I agree-do NOT get rid of everything from the kids....first all remember our brains don't fully develop till we are like 25 (which makes college timing debatable lol). And many of them are coming of dorm rooms and think small that way.

The twenties people don't want anything. They think they will be minimalists forever. And it is true-this generation is not interested in stuff as much-rather eat out or travel. But there is a big difference between stuff like a set of fancy holiday dishes and family stuff. Scan pics before tossing. Just never know which one will be of interest in the future to someone. Look at all the people doing Ancestry...people do care when they get older.

I hear you on not wanting to leave a lot of stuff for kids to clear out....AND using it as a platform to get DH to clear his stuff. Those are good points.

What I am hearing is a big hit are family recipe books. And you could blend those with pics...I would scan the pics bc no one wants turkey gravy on the one pic of grandma lol...but you know....put TG pics with those recipes, Christmas, do pages of baking for school with pics of them at that age bc they are going to do it with their kids...We have the advantage here. This seems to me to be another form of scrapbooking, just smaller pages. I would pop them into 3 ring plastic sleeves. Not as pretty but protected from splashes. I blue tape them on the cabinet while I work and then pop em back in again. If they come from a cookbook, copy the page. It is what is popular with the family, not just an "original" recipe.
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (02-19-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
Geez...it cant ever be the hand we don't use a lot. Start practicing now. As a natural lefty I promise it can be done
Maybe you would want to watch some classes? We always say we want to watch them and never have the time...
Maybe you can stamp and color some stuff in advance to be able to just stick down later? Pre-cut some card cases or layers. If you have an electric die cutter that's good-(sugg: make it face you-easier to feed with one hand that way than from a side) ....but you can always crank manuals with the other hand...practice now. You may need to lean to stabilize with the forearm of the surgery hand on some things. Or use that elbow. We are pretty adaptable when we really want to do something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

Like Lydia, I use "refrigerator" bins for storage of Dies 1 bin approx 7-8 inch wide by by 6 high by 14 deep--with file folders cut up to be dividers, and in ABC order--Alphabets, Animals, Christmas SU, Christmas other, Labels, Shapes, Seasonal other than Christmas, Special use only, Words. if the bin becomes tight---I weed., 6x6 pads 1 bin 6 x 6 x 12, embossing folders- 1 bin size like Dies- and file folder labels mostly the same , cards that are ready to go 5 bins with dividers...One bin reserved for Christmas only, By the end of a year I have most of them full. One is for makeover cards---LOL!, I send a good friend two boxes of cards each year--about 250 cards each time--one for mostly Christmas and the other is year round occasions.
My stamps are organized by theme and I still can't always find what I want.....did discover today yet another set that I had a duplicate of--and I ordered them only a month apart.
My main goal this year is to come up with a way to list all my sentiments--those in a set with other stamps and those stand alone ones so that when searching for " support" or way to go" type sentiments I can easily find the storage case they are in..... I did the massive unmount from wood and put on cling mount 18 months ago so most of my stamp cases are uniform in size. If a die set is specific to a certain stamp set, I try to store the dies with the stamps.....That said, I now have 4 cases of "feather" stamps and dies and embossing folders so I use industrial strength rubber bands to hold those together so grab all at the same time.
Organizing is always an on-going thing for me......Perhaps my time as an elementary librarian has something to do with that.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes