Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #81  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
I work two jobs and if I had to split our bills 50/50, I would be on welfare and it would be nothing to my husband. I work two jobs because the disparity in our incomes and I still make less than half what he makes. I am sure he would love splitting them!

50/50 is something that works for us since we both work decent jobs. However, 50/50 may not work for everyone, as you stated. Whatever works for you two is what works :cool: don't base your finances on someone else's because it will never work. I used to, and it always made me feel like a horrible person. Not anymore, I do what I can with my own income, and I'm proud of where I am in life
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 01:30 AM   #82  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

PolishGirl- I agree stamping has gotten so expensive. It is insane. Years ago it was a frugal hobby. Our most expensive purchases were stamps. I have gone back to the old school days in the way I stamp. Even if I could afford all those lovelives there is no way I am paying those prices. More lovelies for those who can or don't mind paying. I do understand the high expenses from a business point of view. Going back to my old ways of stamping I am happier. Just a better fit for my stamping personality.

Bohodiva- My home is set up like yours too. It's not for entertainment. It's for DH & I. We create and we set it up to create. We garden and it's set up to garden. It's our sanctuary. My friends don't mind. They are actually very supportive. Our group has always loved hanging out at diner's or the library meeting rooms (We are gamer's so we rent the meeting rooms). When my friends do come over it's like your home setup for a visit. My friends like it. My friends like to come over because they say our home is quiet and peaceful.

mphb- I am sorry. Sending you hugs.

Rebecca Ednie- Hugs to you too. I wish you were closer. You could hang out with me. I love it when my friends come over and hang out with me in my room just to hang out. I know how hard it is and isolating when you have disabled children. You love them but it is lonely and isolating.

MacungieMom- I loved your tips. I am going to throw a tip in too, if that is ok. Ladies don't buy items because you think you can't create without them. Buy that stamp because it inspires you not because you think it's the only way you can make an item. The marketing in this industry is just that, it's marketing. It's supposed to sell a product but not make you feel that if you don't have the product then you are less than. Aggressive marketing practices in all forms and in all sectors from medicine to crafting have made us creative sensitive types second guess our creativity and imagination. I turn off the marketing. Went down that rabbit hole, lol. Use marketing as an inspiration too to recreate with what you have, spend your money with what makes you want to use it over and over again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Amen to everything DeeAnn said! I would especially second her thoughts on not letting marketing convince you that you NEED something. I can't tell you how many stamps I own that I am seriously considering purging even though the only time they've seen ink is when I stamped them for my index, all because I saw something cute or clever or wonderful that somebody else made! Did I love their project? Absolutely! Was it my style or a style that I'm likely to send to someone else? Not so much... We can admire what other people create without buying into the notion that we have to do likewise. Buy what you will USE - over and over and over again - because that will be where your joy lies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #84  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The real dilemma

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Amen to everything DeeAnn said! I would especially second her thoughts on not letting marketing convince you that you NEED something. I can't tell you how many stamps I own that I am seriously considering purging even though the only time they've seen ink is when I stamped them for my index, all because I saw something cute or clever or wonderful that somebody else made! Did I love their project? Absolutely! Was it my style or a style that I'm likely to send to someone else? Not so much... We can admire what other people create without buying into the notion that we have to do likewise. Buy what you will USE - over and over and over again - because that will be where your joy lies.
When I really think about it I am a collector. I would not buy the same card over and over, but when you buy a stamp you feel like you have to use it a lot. So maybe I am a collector.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #85  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
PolishGirl- I agree stamping has gotten so expensive. It is insane. Years ago it was a frugal hobby. Our most expensive purchases were stamps. I have gone back to the old school days in the way I stamp. Even if I could afford all those lovelives there is no way I am paying those prices. More lovelies for those who can or don't mind paying. I do understand the high expenses from a business point of view. Going back to my old ways of stamping I am happier. Just a better fit for my stamping personality.

Bohodiva- My home is set up like yours too. It's not for entertainment. It's for DH & I. We create and we set it up to create. We garden and it's set up to garden. It's our sanctuary. My friends don't mind. They are actually very supportive. Our group has always loved hanging out at diner's or the library meeting rooms (We are gamer's so we rent the meeting rooms). When my friends do come over it's like your home setup for a visit. My friends like it. My friends like to come over because they say our home is quiet and peaceful.

mphb- I am sorry. Sending you hugs.

Rebecca Ednie- Hugs to you too. I wish you were closer. You could hang out with me. I love it when my friends come over and hang out with me in my room just to hang out. I know how hard it is and isolating when you have disabled children. You love them but it is lonely and isolating.

MacungieMom- I loved your tips. I am going to throw a tip in too, if that is ok. Ladies don't buy items because you think you can't create without them. Buy that stamp because it inspires you not because you think it's the only way you can make an item. The marketing in this industry is just that, it's marketing. It's supposed to sell a product but not make you feel that if you don't have the product then you are less than. Aggressive marketing practices in all forms and in all sectors from medicine to crafting have made us creative sensitive types second guess our creativity and imagination. I turn off the marketing. Went down that rabbit hole, lol. Use marketing as an inspiration too to recreate with what you have, spend your money with what makes you want to use it over and over again.

Absolutely only buy what will inspire you!! I'm an SU demonstrator, so if I were to purchase everything, I'd absolutely go broke! I only buy those sets, papers, embellishments, etc, that inspire me to design my projects, even for my class projects. I wouldn't have it any other way, and I never will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #86  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a good sale for someone on a budget:
Oozak.com | TEMP MARKDOWN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #87  
Embossing Fanatic

I recently wrote a blog article that helps with this topic.

How to Make Quality Cards without Breaking Your Wallet

On a side note: My husband and I are both Christian artists. He's a classical musician/ computer technician/aviator and I am a Christian stay at home mom who home schools, creates art, and has a stationery website.
We decided very early in our marriage that we would always make time to use the gifts we have to honor God in the best way possible and budget for the things we need for the hobbies God has given us. We have made some mistakes a long the way but we've been on the Dave Ramsey Diet and it has helped us tremendously.
We budget, we shop what we already have, and save for what we need.
Check out my blog post and let me know if this is encouraging to you.

Last edited by hfscards.com; 11-07-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #88  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't forget to check out your local thrift stores for crafting/stamping supplies. Yes, you do have to look around because things aren't always where you think they should be, but that's part of the "thrill of the hunt"!

In our area the Good Will stores usually have a crafting section but I've found paper, envelopes, embellishments and more in places that don't even make sense.

As I was checking out the craft section today this is what I found:
6 brand new full sized Distress Ink pads. Still have the shrink wrap on them!! They were somewhat buried under small little odd objects but the price was right...99 cents each. Whooo Hoooo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #89  
Embossing Fanatic

Not only do I paper craft, but I do other crafting too. so when I'm out and about, I keep a keen eye on the items around me. my husband and I was in home depot on friday and was looking for something in particular. it happened to be at the end cap of the paint section. as we was running thru, trying to keep up with guy showing where it was, I caught something out of the corner of my eye. we got what hubby wanted and I said lets go back the same way we came. and I found those precious little cuties!!!! they were quart sized paint stirrers!!!!! 30 for $1.10 and yes I got 2 pkgs of those little cuties. they are a little larger than the largest ones my wal mart carries, and much cheaper!!!! so I think that makes 4 or 5 sizes I have now. they are perfect for long skinny santas, elves, snowmen, scarecrows, rabbits and any other number of things. so just always be aware of your surroundings. and I don't feel guilty about spending $2.20 and taxes.

what else do y'all find at home depot or lowes or any of the other home builders supply places that can be used in any of our crafts? thanks, patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #90  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetresuresView Post
Not only do I paper craft, but I do other crafting too. so when I'm out and about, I keep a keen eye on the items around me. my husband and I was in home depot on friday and was looking for something in particular. it happened to be at the end cap of the paint section. as we was running thru, trying to keep up with guy showing where it was, I caught something out of the corner of my eye. we got what hubby wanted and I said lets go back the same way we came. and I found those precious little cuties!!!! they were quart sized paint stirrers!!!!! 30 for $1.10 and yes I got 2 pkgs of those little cuties. they are a little larger than the largest ones my wal mart carries, and much cheaper!!!! so I think that makes 4 or 5 sizes I have now. they are perfect for long skinny santas, elves, snowmen, scarecrows, rabbits and any other number of things. so just always be aware of your surroundings. and I don't feel guilty about spending $2.20 and taxes.

what else do y'all find at home depot or lowes or any of the other home builders supply places that can be used in any of our crafts? thanks, patty
Paint chips. DH won't even be seen with me in the paint aisle.

Small white tiles to use for fridge magnets.

Reply With Quote Likes