Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Crafting Budgets

I realize that i may be opening a massive can of worms here, but some comments on another thread piqued my curiosity, so I'm throwing the question out anyway: Where/how do you finance your crafting purchases?

I started out just getting things as I could afford them and then had a flash of brilliance to justify more regular purchases. My husband is a smoker (he has quit for periods of time but always goes back to it) and it's an expensive habit where the money - literally - goes up in smoke. Even when we were really struggling financially he still managed to buy cigarettes. A couple of years ago I issued an ultimatum: quit smoking or I would match his spending. Well, he didn't quit and I started to match his spending on my crafty stuff. Initially he would say "can we afford that?" but after a few responses of "Oh, this is my cigarettes for the week", he quit asking.

I know that sounds kind of harsh, but fair is fair and I also pay all of the bills so I am fully aware of when I need to NOT match his spending (which, thankfully, is extremely rare these days). There are also periods of time when I don't buy anything at all for awhile. He has started jamming with a group of guys lately (he's a drummer), and they have to rent the practice room, so that's another expense. I've toyed with the idea of adding that amount to my budget, as well, but haven't done that (yet).

Anyway, all of this backstory is to get back to my original question: Is there any rhyme or reason to your budgeting or sourcing for your crafty purchases?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

After I started paying health insurance, that substantially reduced my budget. But for the last three years, one or the other of DH's motorbikes has been off the road in need of repair. He's a terrible procrastinator, so in an attempt to combat that, I said that for every month one of them was off the road (taxed and insured), I got X amount to spend on craft supplies. After a year I increased the penalty. Hopefully, even though it will cut my budget, he'll be selling one of them soon. Then I'll be back to a very limited spend. Technically he's also meant to offset his Starbucks habit by subsidising me but I think he's reluctant to admit how often he goes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't work with a budget. I'm single so if I see something I want I buy it.

Which has ultimately taught me a life lesson, too bad it's too late in my life so here's my cautionary tale about budgets. In 2 weeks I will receive an insulting buyout offer from my employer and I'm 99% sure I won't be able to accept it. I love the actual work I do but despise what my company has become in the past 20 years (I'll spaer you all the details). Going into a job each day that depresses you is really tough. It's too late in my life to change jobs and I now have to ride this one out. Had I not spent money without adhering to a budget - not just on crafting - I would've been able to run out that door. Now, since I found out the offer is coming, every time I look at my supplies that gave me an escape from that environment I get upset with myself and I walk away. The things that gave me joy now disgust me.

For those of you working without a budget like I did - use one! You never know when those saving will literally save you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a short answer to your question, and a more detailed one. ...

My hubby has always been insulted and defensive at the mere mention of the word budget. He feels like I am treating him like a child if I try to put the brakes on. He is the spender and I am the saver. Frustrating beyond words. We both grew up with little but it made him declare a long time ago that he would enjoy what he makes and as a result he hasn’t planned ahead very far or much. He is also very generous and I appear to be a tightwad... I have had to just let it go and save where I can. He is getting marginally better because he literally needs nothing and is beginning to realize that retirement is going to be a pitiful joke if something doesn’t change. The antiques and tools he has amassed will one day be sold and will go a fair ways in padding the bank account. Last year he decided to part with some excess and we made several thousand without missing a single thing. It’s just stuff!

SO that’s my back story! I have a job I enjoy and save what I can. I also feel a bit entitled to buy for my crafting needs although I don’t budget per se. I order maybe twice a year and spend around $100 each time. That isn’t a lot. I have hosted many successful workshops through the years so gain product in hostess dollars. I love and use what I have and don’t crave all the new gadgets or products.

I also sell my cards so sometimes I order or buy something Craft related with my money from that. I don’t make a lot, just now and again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
I don't work with a budget. I'm single so if I see something I want I buy it.

Which has ultimately taught me a life lesson, too bad it's too late in my life so here's my cautionary tale about budgets. In 2 weeks I will receive an insulting buyout offer from my employer and I'm 99% sure I won't be able to accept it. I love the actual work I do but despise what my company has become in the past 20 years (I'll spaer you all the details). Going into a job each day that depresses you is really tough. It's too late in my life to change jobs and I now have to ride this one out. Had I not spent money without adhering to a budget - not just on crafting - I would've been able to run out that door. Now, since I found out the offer is coming, every time I look at my supplies that gave me an escape from that environment I get upset with myself and I walk away. The things that gave me joy now disgust me.

For those of you working without a budget like I did - use one! You never know when those saving will literally save you.
I'm so sorry to hear that this is your current reality! I feel your pain, but wanted to offer this: I am 63 years old (just turned last month) and am currently, unexpectedly unemployed, which means that I will need to find a new source of income. However, the job that just ended was a "reinvention" of sorts, and was less than two years in duration. The previous job was another "reinvention" and was also only two years in duration. My point? It's NEVER too late to change jobs, as long as you're willing to change your mind...

On another note, my things don't disgust me but I have way too much and I am in the process of organizing many items to sell off. I will be taking a loss financially versus the original money spent, but they've outlived their joy-making capacity in my space and something is better than nothing. I'm sure that they will bring joy to their new owners and I will be left with only the things that DO still bring me joy and a few more dollars to retire on...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2019, 11:25 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

DH & I have simple frugal lifestyles. Not trying to make anyone feel bad because trust me I have been there in the struggling years but we do have a bit more disposable income. Not rich by any means. We are both frugal but our hobbies have always been important to us. Even if we had only $5 left over after bills, savings & necessities we would put it into our hobbies. I am so glad we did this over the years because the skills we have acquired have been such huge savings for us over the years.

I don't buy anything full price. I will buy artist grade supplies at a higher price for obvious reasons.

Sue I giggled about your DH's smoking. Everyone in my group smokes, except me and a couple of my friends. My DH was a smoker when he was younger. When he couldn't afford his games because he smoked he had your mantra, hence my giggling. His mantra was games were his cigarettes for the week. He hasn't smoked for 20 plus years.

fifiwesfan- Sending you hugs. I am sorry you are going through this stressful time with your company.

The disgust phase I think there is a lot who are afraid to admit this. Nothing to be afraid of. I went through it to. Mine wasn't monetary but I gave up some of my art values and felt pressured. Mine was caused by what I like to call the first social media or mob mentality. I had to admit it was just recently that I finally put that to bed. When I say recently I mean like this month. It's been coming for a long time and I finally found my peace. I actually called it something else but I am not allowed to post that over here, lol. It pretty much is I don't give an.... ;)

I think the disgust phase effects a lot of people for different reasons- financial guilt, social media pressure, lack of confidence in one's own artistic skills.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We allow ourselves a fixed amount of "pocketmoney" each a week, and expenditure on crafts, hobbies, books, dvds and such like comes out of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I am pretty much at capacity supply wise ..so much so that I usually have a pile of 'give-aways' at my monthly stamp class. I am not much for electronic gadgets so my cuttlebug and rotary cutter have it pretty much covered! LOL I have been stamping since 1997 so I could open my own supply store if I needed to! LOL My main purpose these days is to use it all up but I keep hearing this little voice in my head chanting....The one who dies with the most 'stuff' .....WINS!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

We've never been savers in the truest sense of the word. I mean we've saved for trips/vacations, and big ticket items, but not just a general savings until 2 years ago when we both turned 50.
I realized recently that we've tossed about the phrase "we can't afford to do this/get that" way more than usual and it's not really a true statement. Our daughter and her fiance, and our youngest son, and our youngest daughter (autistic) all live with us. The couple were supposed to be saving money for their wedding AND a down payment for a home (it's really hard to buy a home in our area unless you have a giant chunk of change for a DP) their own but haven't had the same lofty goals for themselves as we had for them 🙄
So anyhow we had a discussion with them the other day and talked about priorities, and how they should take advantage of our generous offer to live here almost rent free. They've been with us for 3 years, make a very nice income, and were supposed to get married this year but didn't have enough money to pay for it ($15k was the goal). Even with our generous contribution. I was shocked. Their total monthly expenses give or take, are only about 15-20% of their net income but all we here from them is that they can't afford to buy a house in this area.
ANYHOW, a day or two after our talk I started thinking that my hubby and I aren't too unlike them ourselves.
For quite some time now I've thought that each of us having a "pocket money" allowance would be an excellent idea. I'm kind of over excessive spending and I would like to take an husband/wife annual vacation that isn't camping. I love camping but I want other (off-continent) travel experiences too. I don't need as many rubber stamps, crochet, and sewing supplies as I have. We want to remodel a bathroom and our kitchen. We want to build a carport, and replace all the windows in the house. We want to build a deck off of our bedroom, and replace all the carpet flooring in the house with wood/wood laminate. We want to pay off the house EARLY. I want to experience more (local theater, concerts, etc) instead of buy more STUFF, so I figure if we each give ourselves a set amount that we can spend on anything we want without having to answer to each other, then we can be more intentional about saving for the really big things I mentioned above. We make an income that has been increasing every year because business has been so good, and we shouldn't ever be saying we can't afford this or that. So, this weekend we are sitting down and going over our non-budget, create a budget, and stick to it. I think we'll be much more pleased with ourselves overall and we'll actually accomplish some of what is really worth doing/having, not to mention have a more comfortable retirement when the time comes.
Do I regret buying all the stuff I have? Not in the truest sense of the word because it has brought me joy and using it all has helped me through difficult moments in life.
I do regret not prioritizing more funds for travel and other life experiences so, no more regrets for me! Time to get real and set the example for our grown children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieJennyView Post
We allow ourselves a fixed amount of "pocketmoney" each a week, and expenditure on crafts, hobbies, books, dvds and such like comes out of that.

My husband and I do this too -- the "house" has a budget to cover all household expenses (including retirement and saving) and we each have what we refer to as our "allowance".

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I am on a strict budget and after food, gas and a few bills like the gym and WW, I have $100 a week for crafts, clothes and stuff for DD. I stagger SU! orders, a few on-line shops and Michael's/Hobby Lobby; I can't buy everything at once. This system has worked well for me for years and, also, I log every penny spent on crafts each month so I can see where the money went.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,840 Posts

We have had allowance since we got married, 28 years ago. That allowance allows each of use to spend our money on what we want with no questions asked. I am slowing down on my stamp buying, as I have a lot. I still purchase a few books as I am an avid reader, but check out several from the library. I do still look at new releases, participate in challenges, and enjoy what I have. I will never be able to use all that I own as there is quite a bit.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #13  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I'm no longer an SU demonstrator, but when I started in 2001, I swore I'd only spend money that I earned through my classes etc. Back then, people would have HUGE pre-recession crafty budgets, so I quickly built up a very nice craft fund. I've been teaching monthly classes for two decades, and all that money, plus any income from my two retreats a year, my blog, etc. go into my craft account, and I only spend that. So I don't technically have a budget because I do have good income generated by those activities, but I've never spent my account to zero - not even remotely close. I also have a huge purge sale every year, and that's the money we spend on our vacations.

Our incomes go to household expenses and savings, and whatever is leftover is fair game for unexpected things or fun, but we aren't big spenders. We both drive 15 year old cars, neither of us are shoppers, and I've adopted a "uniform" so I don't have to buy clothes often - it's never been important to me, and I work from home, so it doesn't really matter what I wear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks everyone, for the input so far! Interesting reading, and fascinating to see the variety of approaches... I forgot to mention earlier that DH and I are incredibly low-maintenance. We both loathe shopping, I cut our hair (and color mine) so no "upkeep" expenses, I worked from home for a couple of decades ("uniform", as Lydia referred to it, was jeans or leggings and t-shirts or sweaters, depending on the season). My last job required "business casual" (stupidest dress code imaginable), so I did buy a few things, but mostly rearranged what I had, lol. We only go out every two or three weeks, and usually only spend $50 or so on that venture. No home maintenance expenses to speak of, as we rent, and one car is 15 years old and the other is 9. Our hobbies (and his smoking) are pretty much our only expenses outside of the essentials (rent, phone, utilities, etc.).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Ahh, Sue. You have brought up a "touchy" topic. Not to me, really, but to a lot of people. It is the number one "issue" in marriages that have conflict. Let me give a little preface. I (along with DH) am a Dave Ramsey class coach. We teach people how to get out of debt, live with a spending plan, and save for the future. So my life has been changed by implementing all that.

Now I will say that we have lived on a budget (call it a spending plan if you don't like that word) for a whole lot of years, but not all of our marriage. My DH is a spender, I'm the saver. He used to always overdraw the accounts because his idea was "there's money in the checkbook and I can spend it." I have been a SAH homeschooling mom, except for working to pay tuition for several years. My husband didn't make a ton of money every year. Still, our house is paid off, we have no debt, and we are even comfortable in retirement. We have the ability to give and share with others in need as we can.

Now back to your original question. From the very beginning of our budgeting, we each got pocket money. While all other expenses were always reviewed with each other, the pocket money could be spent however we wanted. That's still the way it is, and neither of us chides the other on the use of that money. I just happen to spend a large percentage of mine on supplies. He spends his differently. And that's just fine.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My craft budget

In our house we also have allocated fun money for just my husband and me. The question of how much fun money is an interesting and individual question. I think the first step to knowing how much to spend on a hobby that gives you joy is to make sure that you have a functioning household budget. The very best budgeting app, I have found, is called "You need a budget" or YNAB. Now you don't need to buy the app, but their four rules for having a budget are the best out there. They have tons of free workshops on YouTube and you can watch those and create your budget on a piece of paper, it doesn't matter. They really talk about priorities understanding why you spend where you do. If crafting is something you do everyday and you love it, then that will obviously be a higher priority in your budget and take more resources. If it is a now and then hobby, it should go further down on your list of priorities so there is room in your budget for travel or decorating or whatever else it is that you want more. There really isn't a right way to determine how much you spend and at different seasons in your life your craft hobby will move up and down your priority list. There is a lot of peace that comes from thinking about money in terms of priorities because you find that your spending habits start to change and things that were financially out of your reach are now possible. I'm getting a scrap room redo this September for my birthday. It took three years of saving, and asking myself the question "Do I want this more than a bookcase for my room?" If the answer was yes I bought the item. If the answer was no I put it back and walked away. It's so liberating!
Sorry. Off the soap box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

What an interesting topic, with so many different approaches and circumstances that come into play for everyone. My husband and I have always been very frugal over the years, even when we ran a business. We never took vacations, took other people's hand-me-down furniture, and went without a/c in our home even though we sold them in our business! We still managed to send both kids to college and I never felt that we were deprived. I was lucky in that hubby and I both were on the same page.
It all paid off when we sold our business and I retired at age 55. The lean times were very stressful and hard on my health but I've benefited from that now as I have few responsibilities beyond the household and helping out with the grandchildren once in awhile.

We have a comfortable retirement, although my husband changed careers and now teaches college part time. So I don't really have a budget for my supplies. I enter a lot of giveaways and try to win new goodies instead of buy them, haha! Of course, I have to buy staples like card stock, adhesives, replacement cutting mats for my Big Shot etc. I've resisted buying an electronic cutting machine and make do with what I have.

In addition, we eat at home almost every meal, and still don't travel much. My crafting brings me great joy and I try not to feel badly when I look at how much stuff I have. I have a lot of crafting friends who always have to buy the newest thing, and yet they don't even use it once they've got it.

That said, I have a lot of supplies that I bought when I first started scrapbooking and stamping...and I do regret how much I bought then. They are all out-dated, and not my style at all anymore (if they ever were my style to begin with) and I force myself to use them now. I had no resistance back then to sales..and often ended up buying things in multiples. Some I've donated and some I've passed on to my granddaughters. But some of that stuff isn't useful to anyone...sigh. Don't even get me started on the other craft hobbies that I dabbled in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's hard to say. Well, some of it is just a bit personal. I don't make a tonne of money, but I also don't have the same expenses as some others in my situation. I'm in gov't housing, due to being in a wheelchair, so rent is a % of income. That gives me a bit of an extra cushion another single person might not have.

My grocery expenses are pretty basic, and I'm trying to lose weight so I've cut way down on fast food/eating out. I do like Starbucks, but I have put a limit on that, too, and I tend to only get a tall/small of my fave fancy coffee.

I don't go to movies. I don't buy clothes.

So once all the monthly bills and money that is set aside for insurance (I like to pay it in a lump sum yearly &) comes out at the beginning of the month, I can lay out what I think I need for gas & groceries, I figure out my craft budget. It will vary each month, as I order SU from a friend 2-3 times a year (she's a hobby demo & a few of us help her with her minimums), and depending on which new releases are immediate must haves. I'll get Tim Holtz stuff right away, for example, because otherwise it can take forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 11:25 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

In all my years of frugality social media I have noticed if you do not have a spouse on board with budgeting things go awry fast. DH & I are on board. We balance each other out. He does spend more but he gets me to spend when I won't. I am truly glad he does enable me like that because I can be a little stringent on myself. That's not healthy. If he wants something like a 4K TV he will tell me and I will go find the best price. I can usually find his TV, for example, hundreds of dollars cheaper.

My budget looks a lot like Sue's. We are both low-maintenance. Not big shoppers, simple eaters. We do have home maintenance since our home is part of our family. We love her. DH is in construction and that is a huge blessing for savings. Our mortgage is very, very low. One car, no payments, repairs done by my DH. I am a frugal shopper. DH & I don't need a lot. We do spend a lot of money on our animals, lol. They bring us such joy and happiness we enjoy it so much.

For all you lovely ladies who have not invested in an electronic cutter you are such an inspiration to me. I have two e-cutters. I noticed my style is going analog now too. You all have become my new inspiration. Trust me I love digitals. I love designing graphics. When I get in my room I just want to print my items and spend the rest of my time in quiet with my analog tools. Getting out all my elelctronic tools just stresses me out, lol. I wanted to let you know because I know there is a huge push to embrace digital. Still some of us girls are looking to devour any knowledge of analog.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2019, 12:01 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad to hear that others' husbands don't like to discuss finances or budgeting with them; mine is trying to get my husband to realize what needs to be done to work towards retirement! Since he refuses to do this and we have a couple high-maintenance expenses that could eliminated if he would do it, I make sure he gives me $$ every week which includes paying my credit cards which I use to purchase my crafting items! lol I also try to sell some of my craft items but am not a very good salesperson but I keep working on it....My mom also gives me nice $$ birthday gifts/Christmas so I use that $$ for my craft purchases. I also look out for temporary jobs where I could earn a bit of extra $$ but with my medical/health issues, that sometimes is difficult. Glad that crafting can be done in my home at any time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, such an interesting thread. Thanks Sue for starting this!

I've always been very frugal- so much so, that friends have called me tightwad and other names. However, I put myself through a liberal arts college and paid off $100k in debt in fewer than 10 years. I have bought and paid off all of the cars I've had. I carry no credit card debt month-to-month. The only official debt I carry is the mortgage on my house which I will be paying off very early. I'm not yet 40, but that is right around the corner for me.

I don't have a Starbucks/shopping/eating out habit. I bring my lunch to work with me daily, make breakfast at home, and cook 5+ dinners a week. I don't begrudge myself treats such as a nice skirt I see in the store, a dinner out with my boyfriend, or a few new craft supplies. However, they are treats to me and I view them as such.

I have made travel a priority in my life, along with fixing up my house. Anything not spent on the necessities goes into my savings account with the goal of being used for one of those two things.

I do love creating and have enjoyed getting back into the hobby these last several months after a 4+ year hiatus. However, I don't want to start back up with the craft spending I was doing before I took that hiatus. I gave so many products away or sold for barely anything that it made me sad to think about the money that could have renovated my house or paid for a trip to Europe.

I have placed two small orders this year, but I have paid for those through gift cards received. My plan is to keep financing this hobby in that way. It really limits my spending, but I'm ok with that for now. Of course, that might change in the future. Especially with all of the new holiday releases starting already...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #22  

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

No budget for me, but I'm a saver, not a spender, so a budget was never needed. I'm a Stampin' Up! demo, so sticking to my quarterly minimums has been a great way to keep myself aware of what I am spending.

My husband is also a saver. We did make a budget once years and years ago, but quickly realized we were consistently underspending so we didn't bother with the effort again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

whoistracy You are a frugal inspiration. Girl, you are doing it right! I have been called those names too. Bring on the names, lol. I do hate the term tightwad. Really? DH & I are known for giving. Tightwad's are not giving. I learned a great motto on one of my frugality boards- Tightwads Take, Frugalites Give.

cnsteele- DH & I underspend to when DH & I do a budget. It's not worth it to us either.

I have noticed that Stampin Up is one of the most frugal craft companies. I have noticed over the years, even before I got back into stamping that most frugal people were buying items from Stampin Up and had those items for decades. This is just speculation and deep thoughts, lol. I think it's because the catalog carries basics and classic's in paper crafting. Even the trends don't get introduced into the catalog until it has been a couple of years on the market.

I also noticed that SU orders tend to be in bulk. Like demo class orders or church orders. I think that saves stampers a lot of money. Also takes out a lot of confusion too. I know when I got back into stamping I stood in the craft stores so confused about what to buy and what did I actually need and what is important. Stampin Up is much easier to figure out what you need and what is important.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 01:58 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

My blog/Instagram name sums it up: jacqueline_worksforstamps. I work FT and earn a decent salary so I have my own money to buy crafty things when I want. Most of my check goes toward our household fund but I still have plenty leftover each month that goes into, what my husband calls, my secret account. I use that for whatever I want...clothes, shoes, crafty stuff, etc. I also contribute money towards our new car payment with this "secret" account along with things for the house (ie. decor), pet needs, etc. I am still choosy about what I spend my money on but I get what I want.

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

It sounds like most of you are adding your craft supplies right into your household budget, but not over-doing it the way many crafters were some years ago. I think that the craft industry went through a boom, with a lot of new tools and supplies that dazzled our minds...and we all kind of went over-board. Now we're looking at cupboards and closets filled with STUFF, and feeling a little burned out.

That's been the best way for me to budget...too much stuff that I can't find or organize. Shopping from my stash is almost as good as buying something new, since I've forgotten I have most of what I bought. I also get to pat myself on the back for not contributing to the landfill!

It's also a matter of priorities for me, when it comes to spending. I don't buy new clothes...I buy new adhesives (but only when I'm low on supplies). I don't get my hair professionally colored...I buy a new stamp set. We even take hand-me-down furniture from my daughter and her husband..haha! That savings can buy new dies or new paper trimmer blades.

Tracy, you are a real inspiration, keep it up! You'll find that it really pays off once you get older and want to retire. The peace of mind of being able to take care of your expenses and health is going to be such a blessing. When we ran our own business, for 25 years, we had some really really lean years when we couldn't even take a paycheck in order to pay our employees. After borrowing from our parents to get us through those years, and paying them back with interest, we really felt we could get through anything.Crafting was what helped keep me sane, so even then it was worth it.

This is really a great topic and so interesting to see how crafters budget (or don't) for their hobbies.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This has been one of the most interesting threads I've ever read on ScS. Thank you to all of you who shared. I am retired, buy pretty much what I want, but that works only because my wants are not that great. I have all that I need, and that's my mantra. The big eye opener for me on a "spending plan" was to put all expenditures into a Quicken program 15 years ago. Holy Moly! I really spend that much on (fill in the blank!) That has helped me tremendously as I now have increased my saving even though I am retired. Good luck to all of you as we manage, create, and enjoy this wonderful hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

I get some pretty hefty bonuses at work that are mine to spend as I see fit. I save and then splurge. Occasionally I will do a trickle of a couple of things here a couple of things there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

We have never really had a budget..I am the saver, DH is the spender..he thinks I am the spender!! I am retired now but always worked in a high paid professional position, my husband worked from home for 20+ years before he retired but he still works on projects for people, and gets paid. I teach one class a year and get paid for that. I now keep track of my craft expenses each month and it helps slow down over spending but Yes, just like most, I have too much stuff. I have been purging and selling which helps. We have been married 58 yrs. and have been pretty great about getting stuff done when needed ..vacations, house maintenance, car repairs, etc. We get a goal when something is needed and plan for it..everything gets cut back when needed. My stuff brings me joy and my DH has craft hobbies also, we never know what each other is spending but it never has gotten out of hand. I handle all the household expenses and he has his own account..used to be business related but he kept it and uses some of his SS check for his account. He pays some utilities, fun stuff, eating out, small road trips. It has all worked out over the years.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

My life has been a mix of everything shared so far.......DH and I reared 4 children on teacher's salary plus his summer job helping a farmer friend. We signed up for tax-sheltered annuity plans and at a turning point in our life we each had two. The turning point was his unexpected passing after a routine hernia repair surgery. When the dust was settled and all the hours of paperwork finished , I used the proceeds from his life insurance policy and two small checks related to his retirement pay to pay off the mortgage of a house we had purchased in 2011( a second home as I still own the one we moved from), buy a car to replace a 15 year old model with over 200K on the engine and pay all the expenses involved with a death. My monthly retirement income is from SS and pension. I have reached the age where the government says I must draw out some money from the TSA's each year. So I have established my own form of a budget....All the payouts from the TSA's (3 of them) go into a special savings account labeled Houses.....that money pays personal property taxes, repairs and vehicle licensees and taxes. Then I have 3 other savings accounts. Two of them (at different institutions) receive $200 a month each from my retirement income. both of those accounts are basically emergency accounts and I use them as required. The other one receives all the monies I earn judging County Fairs, selling off craft supplies I no longer use, monies earned as prizes in photography contests I enter(always a small amount) and earnings from the twice annual garage sales my children and spouses put on. That account is my Buy with no guilt fund...I have funded my way to Photography workshops, purchased more than $300 worth of stamps when I made the decision to take stamping in a new direction and both sold and purchased camera equipment with purchase price or sales incomes going into/out of this account. I monitor my spending and at the end of the month I try to take half or more of what I have left and plug it into one of the savings accounts. At this stage in my life, I don't have a large expenditure on clothing, have never worn makeup so no need to begin now--and find that due to some nagging health issues I don't enjoy eating out much and have never been much of party person. I think we have to find a balance in life. Some don't mind living on the edge each week or month while others find it stress inducing. having been forced to do the first and breathing a huge sign of relief when we reached a point where that was no longer necessary I now find that I continue to debate if a puchase is a want or a need; spoil my grandchildren with sometimes things and continue to be able to support the groups I believe in when they ask for donations. Balance is the key......Life is short- enjoy it however best works for you.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently my budget is asking for crafty money for birthday, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day and Christmas. I keep detailed wish lists in between purchases. I plan to make some cards and 3-D things to sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a specific budget, no. I've been working for a year+ on getting my space organized and it's really opened my eyes. First of all, when I pulled out all my ribbons in one place, oh wow... someone posted on here that moment when you think "I can't believe I spent that much on ____ !" And I had way too much to ever use. So I decided I was putting myself on ribbon restriction and wouldn't buy more for a while. Well that turned me around and now the ribbon was under control, then I turned my eyes to my pretty patterned papers.... same problem! So I went on restriction for a while and discovered there are only two or three brands of papers that really float my boat. So now I buy those brands when I want them, but others I let pass me by.

This July I went on quite a bender. I don't know what was going on with me but I bought tons of crafty goodies. So much so that I really thought, OK you have a problem. A friend joked that after her July, she needed a shopping moratorium in August and I thought that'd be perfect for me. So this month I've not purchased any crafty things and feel sort of leveled out, you know? And now I can roll into Stamptember feeling ok.

(I was a SU demo for a dozen years or so. Not a huge big-time demo but I did pretty well. Some months, though, it was largely just me making my sales quota.) When the time came for me to quit, it hit me how much less I was buying! So that was actually helpful to my crafting $.

So that's my long answer; my short answer is no I don't have a specific craft budget, but I try to be mindful of my purchasing. And the way to achieve that is often to quit buying for awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm blessed to be in a position where I don't need to budget. My DH and I balance each other in that he's a saver and I'm a spender, but from the beginning our mantra has been to live within our means. For us that meant to save first, keep the house, cars and other expenditures commensurate with our income, and only spend if there was some left after the bills were paid. Since I manage our finances I've always been aware of how much, if any, was left for non-essentials so I curbed our spending accordingly. This allowed us to help two kids through (state) college debt-free and has us starting a comfortable retirement.

That being said, I now realize I spent too many years buying any craft supplies that caught my fancy and I'm suffering from an excess of stuff I will never use, especially paper and embellishments. I'm purging, but it is slow going. These days I try to be more mindful in my purchases and ask myself the critical questions: 1) do I already have something similar and 2) is it really something I will actually use. I'm not always successful, but it's sure helped keep me focused. Great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 02:44 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Sue - your question really made me think. I signed up with SU as a new stamper because I wanted to be able to hold parties to have money for new supplies. I didn't want to have to justify purchases to hubby or work them into the family budget. It worked out really well. I've scaled back to hobbyist but work outside the home now, so my crafty purchases still come from something other than the family budget. It's served our marriage well ;)

I have a fair amount of supplies but am not interested in having things "just in case" or keeping styles I no longer like. I have/keep what I use. I sell off things periodically and set that money aside to reinvest. Gift what can't be sold. Thinking about it, I guess from being a demo with a minimum $300 obligation each quarter, I tend to think of my budget still as $100 a month. I don't always spend it, but that number is still in my head! lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 04:11 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatgirlisbackView Post
Currently my budget is asking for crafty money for birthday, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day and Christmas.

I keep trying to get crafty money like this, but my DH just doesn't get it. He thinks that giving gift cards for something I'd buy anyway is just lazy and cheap. :confused:
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I keep trying to get crafty money like this, but my DH just doesn't get it. He thinks that giving gift cards for something I'd buy anyway is just lazy and cheap. :confused:
I had to laugh at this because DH and I take the whole "occasion" thing to an entirely different place than anyone I know. We don't get each other gifts, since we pretty much just get things as we want/need them. We may go out for a nice meal or something, but we generally save the $$ towards something big we can do together - like our trip to Italy last February. This includes Christmas, anniversaries, etc - not just birthdays...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heart Carmaker 2

In regards to saving, my Mother used to say that she was paying herself first. We didn't have very much, but she ALWAYS saved something from each paycheck. No matter how small, it will add up. We also save any "found'' money instead of blowing it away.

Maybe some of these ideas will help your guy want to save. My husband died young from lung cancer. I am really blessed to be solvent because I've lived a lot longer than he did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I had to laugh at this because DH and I take the whole "occasion" thing to an entirely different place than anyone I know. We don't get each other gifts, since we pretty much just get things as we want/need them. We may go out for a nice meal or something, but we generally save the $$ towards something big we can do together - like our trip to Italy last February. This includes Christmas, anniversaries, etc - not just birthdays...

Sue, DH and I do the same here.
I raised 2 daughters as a single parent for 17 years and I've always been frugal. My family did not lend financial support nor was I on food stamps or gov. aid. I never wanted to feel "trapped" by any of it. I can stretch a pound of ground meat! Pasta and rice are great friends, too! lol
I have always leaned toward minimalism and although I have seen the "good life" I enjoy living with less. Now, that being said - I have more than enough crafting supplies and like everyone else - I bought things that are just not me. I learned that just because it's on sale or I have a coupon - that does not mean I have to buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #38  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeleebView Post
In regards to saving, my Mother used to say that she was paying herself first. We didn't have very much, but she ALWAYS saved something from each paycheck. No matter how small, it will add up. We also save any "found'' money instead of blowing it away.

Maybe some of these ideas will help your guy want to save. My husband died young from lung cancer. I am really blessed to be solvent because I've lived a lot longer than he did.

I'm sorry to hear that. Cancer is terrible <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 04:50 AM   #39  

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeleebView Post

I'm sorry to hear that, too, about your husband. My great-uncle died young (in his forties) from a brain aneurysm and I've heard how hard it was for my great-aunt (and she lived a lot longer than him, too).

Your Mother was very wise to save something from each paycheck. It's true that small savings will add up over time. It's shocking, really!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2019, 06:16 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

My husband and I married as children. I was 17 and he was 19. We pretty much grew up together and learned very quickly that we needed to live beneath our means. Due to early investments and careful spending, I was able to retire at 51, and he retired at 62 debit free living a simple but very comfortable life.

When he died unexpectedly at 67, the frugal spending we had done all those years, as well as the investment and retirement savings, make it possible for me to live a life I love with my family and friends. I do, however, continue to live beneath my means and try to move into savings at least 20% of my income each month.

I do have two weaknesses however, crafts and clothes. My husband was always very supportive of both. Whatever I was able to squeeze out of the monthly budget and still add the 20% to savings, was fair game!! I pretty much still do the same thing each and every month.
Reply With Quote Likes