Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Craft Supplies as Gifts....

Do you receive craft supplies as gifts at Christmas? I have asked for some basics (Cricut mats, paper stacks and such) for many years and have yet to receive anything. Oh I take that back...I bought my Cricut E one year and wrapped it up for my DH to give to me. But as far as "surprises" go....nobody ever gives me crafty stuff. Just wondering what you've received as gifts in the past.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

The only time I did was something I ordered for myself and DH wrapped it for me to open on Christmas Day. It was a bundle that Stampin Up had a few years ago, with a stamp set, a punch, and some brads I believe. Otherwise I've never received anything craft related, not even gift certificates.

This year might be different. DH said he and the kids ordered something off my wishlist from Amazon.com. The only things on my wish list right now are Nestabilities:-).
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
The only time I did was something I ordered for myself and DH wrapped it for me to open on Christmas Day. It was a bundle that Stampin Up had a few years ago, with a stamp set, a punch, and some brads I believe. Otherwise I've never received anything craft related, not even gift certificates.

This year might be different. DH said he and the kids ordered something off my wishlist from Amazon.com. The only things on my wish list right now are Nestabilities:-).
Keeping fingers crossed for you!!!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always suggest craft supplies but never get any. I think there are a few reasons why not. First they have no clue about craft supplies so they don't know what to get. Second, they think it's a frivolous waste of money and prefer to buy more sensible gifts. Third, they think this is just a phase I am going through (been scrapbooking for over 3 years now.) Oh well, I have no problem buying for myself - and for me - Christmas comes several times a year!! lol :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In the past I've received supplies and loved it! Even use to get gift cards for supplies.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I remember the year when I asked DH for an ATG. I didn't get it, which didn't make sense to me.

The ah hah moment came when he said, "I got you the tape. You have the tape gun in the basement already." Yeah, right. It was a packing tape dispenser that we had and packing tape that he bought me. LOL

I have to be pretty specific about my craft wishes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
I remember the year when I asked DH for an ATG. I didn't get it, which didn't make sense to me.

The ah hah moment came when he said, "I got you the tape. You have the tape gun in the basement already." Yeah, right. It was a packing tape dispenser that we had and packing tape that he bought me. LOL

Haha!! That's pretty funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
In the past I've received supplies and loved it! Even use to get gift cards for supplies.
You just reminded me...I did get a gift card to Michaels one year. It was from my BFF, who had just had a really, really tough year. We don't exchange gifts, so it was a complete shock. It was my favorite gift that year, just because she did something that was so unexpected and so much appreciated. Thanks for reminding me of such a happy memory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post

Haha! I'd still use the packing tape gun anyway, but I do like my ATG too.

And I do get crafty stuff for Christmas. My sisters-in-law and I all know what we like to use and what we don't have, so that's our source for new craft supplies. Hubby's getting better at knowing what I would like. I swear the one he just wrapped is a Sizzlets die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #10  
NwP
Kookie Creator

Last year I made a wishlist for my husband, which is what he usually wants. I listed a whole bunch of craft items complete with links (to the specific products) and emailed it to him. There would have been no surprise involved, but it would have guaranteed that he get me something that I actually wanted.

Except that he skipped right over every craft item and went straight for the purple handbag (I was half-joking when I listed it, but he got me a very nice one that I really like).

The moral of the story? My husband is a poophead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

My SU demo does wish lists every year. You get her your wish list and any the email addresses of those who you want to send it to. They call and order, she wraps and delivers. It works great. I did this when I was PC consultant, too, and the guys loved it (as did the ladies who got something they really wanted!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

We don't exchange gifts all that often for Christmas. But the few years that we did, I believe I asked for other things than my scrapbooking/stamping stuff. But if we were exchanging this year I would definately give him my $3700 wish list from Stampin Up and a link to the Original Scrapbox!!!! Now THAT would be an awesome gift!!! But since we're not exchanging, there goes that dream. LOL

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My DH got me the Cricut Imagine last year. I Love it! My Ds's get me gift cards from the local stores. They know I love that! I am lucky to have an Archivers, several Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and several single owned cute shops that specialize in paper crafts in my area. I love those gift cards!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

When we still exchanged gifts with my in-laws I received lots of Michaels and Joanns gift cards> DH has always been good about buying what I tell him I want no matter what it is. One year it was a table saw from Sears. This year he ordered my Silhouette Cameo.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes I do get craft items. My hubby takes my two kids and my list and heads into the stores. For the last six years he lets them pick up dp at Michael's. They love to see me use it in a card and even remember who picked what from years past. They are great at understanding that I don't use it all right away. I do try to use some from each soon after Christmas. This year I want some Tim Holtz stuff.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I buy my own gifts and every year I get exactly what I want. I miss the surprise, but I prefer getting things I know I will use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

My DH and I no longer buy gifts at Christmas. We've decided that since we pretty much get what we want all year long, it really isn't necessary to have stuff to open on Christmas. I spend close to $100 a month on SU and he gets stuff for hunting so we are both happy. My boys would never know what to buy me and I would really prefer to pick out my own crafting stuff. I would be much happier with a gift card, than with something I would never pull out and use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by NwPView Post
Last year I made a wishlist for my husband, which is what he usually wants. I listed a whole bunch of craft items complete with links (to the specific products) and emailed it to him. There would have been no surprise involved, but it would have guaranteed that he get me something that I actually wanted.

Except that he skipped right over every craft item and went straight for the purple handbag (I was half-joking when I listed it, but he got me a very nice one that I really like).

You made me laugh out loud! Maybe cuz I can relate...

Except we are going on a cruise in January for our 25 years of marriage so I am happy. but I did all the planning and budgeting.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

LOLOLOLOL....I couldn't help but giggle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I buy my own and hand it over for them to wrap otherwise they would have no clue.
I have a MFT order heading my way that is destined for the tree
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I haven't received craft supplies in years for gifts, rather it be Birthday, Xmas,etc. Like many others I buy what I want through out the year so that is ok! The reason I don't receive crafty stuff is because they tell me I already to much!! True as it may be that is not the point!!!!! :o:o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been given gift cards, which I love. I'm the only one in my family that does papercrafting so it's easier for them to give me the cards so I can buy what I like and/or need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

A few years ago, I told my kids to get me just stocking stuffers. My ten year old son surprised me and filled my stocking with dollar stamps. That is still one of my favorite Christmas gifts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Yes, I do get craft gifts but only from my children with prompting from my daughter. My sons defer to her. One year they, along with my husband, surprised me with a CRAFT ROOM in my basement. They told me to stay out of the room because gifts were being stored in there so I did. I was also called to babysit alot that year to get me out of the house while they worked. Anyway, that was the best craft gift, especially, since I never talked about fixing up the room to do crafting. My sons like electronics, so a couple years after that, the kids bought me a laptop so I could look at SCS while I was in my craft room. They saw me go from an upstairs bedroom, to look at examples on SCS, to the basement to then work on the example I just tried to memorize.

Deanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

DS just said he and his brother are going shopping tomorrow so I cut out ACMoore and Michaels coupons and gave them a list of a couple of things I would like! They don't usually go shopping together and I would just die if they paid full price for something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Quote:

Your post really made me laugh because last year I had on my Amazon list a bunch of Nestabilities, some Martha Stewart punches, and three non-crafting related items. Guess which three gifts I received? Doesn't matter though, because I really did like what they got me last year.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimizzleView Post
A few years ago, I told my kids to get me just stocking stuffers. My ten year old son surprised me and filled my stocking with dollar stamps. That is still one of my favorite Christmas gifts!
That's really cool!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Ya, I do get craft stuff. I make a wishlist of craft supplies, and thats what I get, especially since I'm just starting cardmaking and I need to grow in quantity of craft supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
Do you receive craft supplies as gifts at Christmas? I have asked for some basics (Cricut mats, paper stacks and such) for many years and have yet to receive anything. Oh I take that back...I bought my Cricut E one year and wrapped it up for my DH to give to me. But as far as "surprises" go....nobody ever gives me crafty stuff. Just wondering what you've received as gifts in the past.
i email the shopping cart from online stores directly to my DH. i get what i want. as for non craft gifts he's on his own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Three years ago, my boys gave me a Xyron X and a Xyron 250 for Christmas. That's because they asked me what I wanted.

My oldest son said, "But that's the kind of stuff you'd buy yourself. I want to get you something that you normally wouldn't go buy on your own."

Maybe that's why some hubbies don't buy craft items for their wives. That, and they are probably overwhelmed by all the choices available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I do, but it's often too hard for someone who is not a crafter to go somewhere and know what you have and what you don't. It's even harder for them to know what stamps you would like or what style to pick for you. I will say that way back when I one time screwed up my clear EP with my white EP buy pouring one into the bottle of the other. I was SO upset. That year my (then boyfriend) surprised me by buying me new EP! One year he bought me a Xyron! Total surprises.

Nowadays, I send him WISHLISTS from crafting stores that do them to tell him which stamps specifically that I might want or which supplies I need. He's learned to stick with the lists. Try using online stores that let you set up wish lists and then email your wish lists to your family...

Gift cards to stores are also common presents.

Cheers, Holley

a new project everyday!
Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Last year my sister surprised me with a package of craft items. My room mate and I are both crafters, so throughout the year we are always bringing each other sheets of dsp or packs of embellishmets we saw and thought the other one would like. This year for Christmas though we decided she would get herself the new phone she wants and I'm getting myself a Big Shot.

My parents, on the other hand, are getting all 5 of my siblings and me gifts from a charity catalog. My brother who loves pigs is getting a pig for a poor family, my sister who's a teacher is getting education for a young girl, etc. I'm kind of hoping for a goat in my name. Not crafting supplies, but a great idea on my parents part I think.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianneB1030View Post
My parents, on the other hand, are getting all 5 of my siblings and me gifts from a charity catalog. My brother who loves pigs is getting a pig for a poor family, my sister who's a teacher is getting education for a young girl, etc. I'm kind of hoping for a goat in my name. Not crafting supplies, but a great idea on my parents part I think.
That's good too! My parents requested just a donation this year. And on other years to other relatives that is often what I have done. This year my charity of Choice was to an orphange in Michigan called Project Someone Cares. I went shopping and packaged up a box of goodies for the kids. I did that because an artist friend of mine is heading up that charity. Usually I would do Angel tree or a more local charity. My husband's preferred charity is the local foodbank which is very large here in Texas and feeds a LOT of families. I usually make a donation to them in his name.

Cheers, Holley

a new project everyday!
Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

This year I decided it was easier to ask for gift cards so I could buy what I wanted when I needed it (and use coupons so I could make the $$ stretch further). For my birthday earlier this month I got Michael's gift cards, and I am hoping to get more for Christmas. If I give my husband specifics he will buy me crafting supplies (for our anniversary I sent him an online link to a Big Shot and he bought that for me), but otherwise I think it's just easier to get the money or gift cards as presents and then pick out what I want myself.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Years ago, when I first started making cards, my husband surprised me at Christmas with a Cropper Hopper divided storage box. In it he'd put little packages of brads, eyelets, small punches, and I don't remember what all. I was thrilled! I had very few supplies at that time, so everything was welcome.

Some time after that I was telling him about a new machine called a Cricut, and it could cut out shapes and letters in all kinds of sizes! I never said I wanted one, but I did mention more than once how clever it was. Well, that Christmas he surprised me with one.

Those are the two times I can remember when he bought me something all on his own, with no hints from me. Now he appreciates a list of what I'd like, and it's usually stamps and supplies from online companies that I have drooled over, but think I shouldn't buy for myself because I don't really "need" them.

My son and daughter-in-law often get me crafting supplies for occasions like Mother's Day, my birthday, and Christmas. They pick out things they think I'll like, such as punches, stamps, glitter, etc. It's always fun to see what they get, and it's even more fun to use them on a card for them. They seems to recognize what they've given me on the card, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

DH or my sister will get something specific if I ask. So that would be things that I would like to have but don't consider as all-round versatile and useful enough to purchase from my regular budget. Well, my sister will get herself, DH will just fund while I do the buying.
I have a crafting friend who always sends me crafting supplies, and it's always fun to get them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love all the stories.

Yes, I do get craft supplies or gift cards. I am one of those people who everyone hates to shop for because I am picky, shy and I absolutely loathe clutter of any kind. Craft supplies are usually a safe bet or books. I like books. I would like a Nook Tablet. I never ask for anything around Christmas. I am hard to shop for. Oh, I like baked goods on Christmas too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rarely do I ever get craft supplies. My step daughter (who is 25) bought me some DP from a stamping store, and I was impressed that she did that.

But other family--no way. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

My family tried for a few years but has not been terribly successful. Apparently I'm picky. My crafty friend got me a corner chomper which rocked. Also my mom got me a Papertrey gift certificate once.

I had to go ahead and tell everyone that the page a day scrapbook calendar is dead to me and that I do not need 5 or so of them each year. I think my family was keeping that company in business.

Mostly my family has gotten away from gifts though, so it's a moot point. Just a few things for the kids, and a nice meal and church.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have asked all my sisters and friends who I stamp with to go to my website and make a wishlist of things they would like to have. I will put together their Christmas gifts based on the wish list. I also told them they could share the wishlist with their hubbys to further get the items they would like to have. This works for me.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes