Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Craft Studio Design Frustrations!

I am in the process of trying to get my new craft studio together. I am having a very difficult time finding affordable black cabinet components for a desk area along one wall with a window in the middle and cabinet height cabinets on another wall. I am looking for mostly 3-4 drawer components and a 2-drawer lateral file (or regular file drawers if necessary). I don't want regular cabinets.

So far the only ones I have found are from Ballard's Design, although they do not have counter height. Does anyone have experience with the design/quality of their Office Design collection? If anyone knows of any other companies with black components I would would love that info as well.

I am so frustrated at this point! :confused:
SU! Demo Site, My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I used Ikea cabinetry in my room, and just use a barstool height chair for my desk area. Everything is counter height. They have a lot of options as far as finishes.

Here's a slideshow of my not yet finished room. I really should snap some new pics!
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=bfd33486.pbw

I made an appointment to sit down with a kitchen designer at Ikea. I took him the measurements of the room, locations of windows, radiators, etc, and we worked from that. It was nice to see everything in the room before I made the order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be hesitant to order the pieces you're talking about from Ballard Designs. I really love the unique things they have in their catalog, but I have been disappointed in a couple of the wooden pieces I've ordered, although I haven't bought anything from the line you mentioned. The first thing I got was the black billpayers cabinet. It was perfect except within a few months of receiving it the solid wood side developed a top to bottom vertical crack right down the middle, which has widened over time to be about 1/4 inch wide.

The second item I've had a problem with arrived the other day. It is the wooden drying rack that hangs on the wall and pulls out. It was horribly overpriced at $200 but I needed its space-saving design and it was the only thing like it I could find. It arrived and it is made of the cheapest, nastiest rough wood that will surely snag my clothes. The paint also feels a little tacky so I'm worried it will leave marks on the clothes. I am going to call customer service about it tonight.

If you can't find anything else, maybe you can just order one small piece of this line and check the quality of it. Maybe some of their things are o.k. and I've just had bad luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
I used Ikea cabinetry in my room, and just use a barstool height chair for my desk area. Everything is counter height. They have a lot of options as far as finishes.

Here's a slideshow of my not yet finished room. I really should snap some new pics!
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=bfd33486.pbw

I made an appointment to sit down with a kitchen designer at Ikea. I took him the measurements of the room, locations of windows, radiators, etc, and we worked from that. It was nice to see everything in the room before I made the order.
I did check Ikea, Jen. However, I did not find any black drawer cabinet bases. They all had birch or white frames. Also, they did not have any desk height cabinets. I cannot sit on a bar or counter height desk for long, so I do need desk height as well. I like the counter height for standing and working on diecuts, etc. Unless I somehow missed black ones?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Card SharkView Post
I did check Ikea, Jen. However, I did not find any black drawer cabinet bases. They all had birch or white frames. Also, they did not have any desk height cabinets. I cannot sit on a bar or counter height desk for long, so I do need desk height as well. I like the counter height for standing and working on diecuts, etc. Unless I somehow missed black ones?
Their office furniture - some of it has black bases.

We stopped into Ikea this past weekend to just check if we would be happy with the quality and it is very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

What about cabinetry from Home Depot or Lowes? I'm pretty sure Home Depot sells Thomasville cabinetry (which has a black finish door). They offer free design services and can get in special order pieces for home entertainment and office areas, not just kitchen and bath.
Here's a link to Thomasville with their cabinet door options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I did check Home Depot. They did not have much at all and the prices were REALLY up there. At Lowes, they did have the Venicia line, but even that would be $3300 for the bare bones minimum. I was hoping for prices more like the Ikea Akurum line. I just wish they had black frames in that line and desk height in it, too. DH doe not want to invest $3000 in the cabinets knowing there is still the cost of the floor, countertops, etc. (lots of etcs.!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

The Ikea line does have only white or birch bases. Their doors and fronts, however cover the whole base, so they don't show. My bases are birch, and my doors are beech. They have separate end panels to cover the bases on the ends so that they have a finished look. I'm positive they have some sort of black doors.

If you want a shorter desk height, you could use wall cabinets with a toe kick added and a standard top. Again, Ikea has all of the covers and panels you'll need to cover up the "works." You'll be "faking" out the back, as they're not as deep as base cabinets, but that way you'll get the correct height.

There is so much more available than what you see on the surface in the display area. It's really worthwhile to sit down with one of their designers and have them work through your needs.

I installed a 14 foot run of base and wall cabinets, and a double deep island for under $5K. That was with DH and I doing all of the labor/installation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I had problems too finding black and not wanting to pay a fortune. That is when I decided to accent with white cabinets. My room is now black & white. We were able to get the wall cabinets for about $500 at Home Depot since I went with stock kitchen cabinets. (DH just looked at me when we were pricing the custom ones). There are pics in my gallery. Good luck with your space!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Check around for a local carpenter.....I ended up with a custom kitchen for about the same price as stock cabinets from lowes, etc....

It depends on where you live etc but there may be some retired ones that may be willing to work with you reasonable...if and when I can get my *studio*...that is what I'm planning on doing..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Could you paint the IKEA cabinets black? I love my Ikea cabinets. I went with white because it was easy. I bought the butcher block countertop and stained it ebony and then varnished. I bought a desktop in the same butcher block type wood and stained it to match. I use it sticking out into my room, but it could have gone along the wall. I bought their table legs, but you could use filing cabinets if you prefer. Anyway, I love the drawer cabinet units and the wall units. Easy to assemble and install with the help of my handy dad.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

I JUST uploaded pix of my finished room. I have the white desk with the glass top and then you customize it with the side pieces. You can go with all drawers, or like I did, 1 side drawers, 1 side door. It comes in white, but I just spray painted it black. (I tried sanding, priming and painting it, but it looked HORRIBLE and I ended up going an buying a new one!)

Here's the link, you'll have to go to the end of the craft room pix, b/c I didn't upload them into the correct order.

SheilaKyles's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I LOVE IKEA, I don't think you should rule them out!

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I have a question about the Ikea cabinets...Do they make a set that hasjust the bottom cabinets with a counter top that is non-permanent? I have been trying to figure out my best option for years and I really would love a counter top type system but I live in an apatment so it would have to be something I could take with me when I move...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

How about something like California Closet Company? I had them build drawers, counter, shelves and wall cabinets and I thought it was very reasonable (around $1000 and I had a LOT put in). The key when working with them is stay within their standard sizes -- an inch or two (which you probably won't even miss) can save hundreds of dollars. There are photos in my gallery or on my blog if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:04 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by java_jennyView Post
I have a question about the Ikea cabinets...Do they make a set that hasjust the bottom cabinets with a counter top that is non-permanent? I have been trying to figure out my best option for years and I really would love a counter top type system but I live in an apatment so it would have to be something I could take with me when I move...
YES! They have a line called Effectiv - here is a link - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...e/10364/11688/

If I had a room and not a very large closet, this is what I would go with. At least you can move it later, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by java_jennyView Post
I plan to take my cabinets with me. They are not attached to the wall (the bottom units), and I only screwed the countertop down in four places instead of the recommended twenty or thirty. The upper units are "resting" on a bar that was screwed into the studs. They will be very easy to take down. Then I'll remove the bar and fill in the wholes with putty and paint.
Leah SCS Member #38898
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I have two of these units.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29811886
One corner unit and then two skinnier units that frame an air intake . The counter top covers all the units including the empty space above the air-intake. So, lots of counter/storage space.
Leah SCS Member #38898
Reply With Quote Likes