Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't to lie to DH but will change the subject. The other day he came into my craft room and I had alot of SU stamp sets on my table and he says " how much is one of those?" I was like what? huh? no comprende english. He knows it isnt cheap but neither is his hobby of rebuilding cars. So I like that response to what did I buy " Car parts" I'm gonna use that next time.

I took him into a craft store with me ONCE. He was noticing how expensive some things were and was saying "you paid that?" I was like of course not I used a 40% coupon"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

I have cut back on my spending a lot! I can now go to HL and walk out with nothing! ;)

I, also, have a DH that never says a word when I do buy supplies. He always asked to look at what I buy and loves to look at my completed projects. I think he has actually seen everything I have ever made. In fact he saw acrylic stamps on QVC one time and then he suggested I buy some! So one day while shopping in a LSS I came out with a few sets and he thought it was cool and was happy for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #43  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was married, I never lied about the spending. He usually didn't bother to ask either. I figured that I had a long way to go before I caught up to his spending levels. I don't think I even managed to match the amount he spent on smoking. Let alone the boat and four-wheeler that were in our garage and driveway. Now that I'm divorced I don't spend it if I don't have it. I have no credit cards and intend to stay that way. I do still feel guilty when I do spend though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
I feel so sorry for anyone whose husband doesn't have any hobbies or
anything he spends money on, is there such a thing.
My hubby has lots of hobbies, most just happen to be free and in some cases make us money. I think combined all of his hobby costs for a year are less than mine just for a few months. The bills are paid and we are both happy, so who cares that the actual spent money isn't exactly equal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I get an "allowance" too. When DH and I got married I told him I was "Bad" with money. I told him if I have a nickel I will spend a nickel. I won't spend more than I have but I will spend everything I have. He handles the money,
and is very good with it. I am always broke by my "payday".
:twisted:
LOL -- This is me to a tee!

My dh had more of a problem with my spending when I would just buy, buy, buy and never "produce" anything. Now that I've started making more cards and having more to show for my $$, he's a little more tolerant. I admit I still spend way too much, but I tell him at least I'm putting to use the things I buy. But I really want to devise a plan to cut back, especially in view of the economic situation. Even though I'm spending my "allowance", much of the time I feel so guilty because he works SO hard, and I feel like I'm wasting his hard-earned money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Every January my DH and I put together a "budget" just to have guidelines of where the money goes. If I go over my stamping allocation one month, no big deal. My DH urges me to buy what I want whether I'm "on budget" or not. I'll hold myself back some months rather than my DH. He's a woodworker and a computer person so, of course, his toys are more expensive than mine. Has worked for 33 years so am hoping for another 33 :>)

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #47  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Never really lie

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
Nothing is worth lying to your husband. Part of the reason I became a Stampin' Up demo was so I could pay for my own hobby with the profits, and that has worked wonderfully well for me. My husband doesn't care how much I spend as long as I use my Stampin' Up money.

Would your husband be okay with coming up with a budget for each month? That way he is comfortable knowing how much is being spent (and the same should be budgeted for his hobby), but you don't have to continually worry about him asking you how much.
Oh - I never lie, he actually loves that I have this hobby and is supportive - but I don't think he knows or really wants to know how much I have spent on all my stuff. I've got my allowance and when I want a little more stuff - he has always agreed. I do like to ROUND DOWN! he he
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

I spend a lot here and there but I go in spurts. We have our own accounts, our "play" accounts, so whatever goes in there is after retirement, savings, 529, wedding and house fund (we put $50/mo into an account for our 4 year-old since she was born for down payment on a house and her wedding), and joint account bills. If we blow every penny of our play money then it's ok.

Also I don't feel bad because we both have full time jobs. On top of my full-time job I also teach two college courses/semester online and twice a month I teach a few classes at my lss. Right now I only spend as much as I make at the lss. I did make a huge purchase but I've been saving for that since last year. He was the one who told me to get it. He was sick of me looking at it everyday. I am a tightwad.

Oh, I'm more picky of what I buy too. I don't a sales item if it's not going to be something I'll need or think of using.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #49  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotasgrammaView Post
My hubby, (aka big dummy) has a hobby of messing with cars. So everytime he asks what I bought I just tell him..."car parts". He just laughs, and I hear no more from him. HA!
Haha, this is close to home! My husband and I both work full time and do the "allowance" thing. ( I hate that word...)

My husband's addiction is cars...real cars and remote control (R/C) cars and these are not the little cars in the toy stores...we're talking $300.00 and up just for the basic chassis and $3.00 on a million tiny parts that constantly need replacing...

Our allowance to ourselves is $50.00 a paycheck, but I know we both spend more than that. To tell the truth, I spend about $30.00 a week on "art stuff". I do altered art and assemblage art so the stuff I want and search for goes a little beyond stamping and are everywhere I look, but stamps and supplies take up a big chunk and are my favorite to aquire.

My husband and I don't get to see each other much because of our wacky work schedules and our hobbies keep us occupied until we're together. We were discussing our "addictions" one time and both agreed that there could be worse things. I don't mind my husband's spending on his hobby because it's something he loves, something that keeps him out of extra curricular trouble (he doesn't drink, smoke or go to strip clubs, nuff said!) and sometimes a fun way to spend time together. ( I have my own car and we race together every weekend at a local racetrack!)

I come from a poor background so I am very conscious of how I spend money and buy a lot of my stamps in lots from Ebay or on sale only. The great thing about altered/assemblage art is that most of can be had from yard sales and thrift shops, hehe! I enjoy the thrill of the hunt sometimes more than the having.

I want to add lastly, that if I were reading this string of posts a couple of years ago I would have been so jealous and depressed because I could hardly to afford to buy glue if I wanted it. We could barely afford food let alone fun stuff. The thing I have learned is just to start small, buy only what you really love and will use over and over and find any way you can to get what you would like in a practical way. Sometimes it's frustrating but you will learn a lot of "tricks" along the way and have a nice little collection in no time! --- I use my stamping and art-making as therapy for the rare times I am relaxed enough to do it. I just get lost. Sometimes I think it can be see it as a good investment in health!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My fiance goes to the scrap store with me most of the time because it is out of town and when we go, he gets to go to best buy or something of that sort

I spend way too much too, but I have been sticking to an allowance for a few months now that I have way too much stuff!! AND I never go over more than I can pay for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #52  
Kookie Creator

I try to be careful of what I do spend and not buy things impulsively. I also try to figure out how to make things myself or wait until I get a real bargain price. I've done crafting of some sort forever and knew before I started this one how you can easily go overboard.

My husband rarely asks how much something costs. I think that is because he once told me that he noticed how much better I felt when I was doing a lot with my crafts. And he does like it when I give people cards and they really make a big deal over it.

The best response I have ever heard for being questioned about the cost of a hobby was "oh, it cost about the same as a round of golf"!! Golf can be interchanged as needed for chain saw, sander, television, any boy toys! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VHarrellView Post
OK - I admit that I'm addicted, which is great becuase admitting I have an issue is half the battle....However, here is my REAL problem...
The cost of keeping up my stamping addiction.

Between, stamps, supplies, envelopes, stamps, paper, punches and did I mention STAMPS?

I think I spend a silly amount of money. Granted I think it's MORE than worth it. However, I also fear the dreaded question I get from my DH..."How much Money did you Spend this month on stamping?"
So - here is my question -
Do any of you actually "omit" some of the truth when it comes to the actual cost associated with your stamping?

I'm just curious if I should feel guilty here or continue to stamp and stamp and stamp some more! : )
i find no need to lie/omit a thing i buy for my hobby. my DH has many hobbies.i have not reach the cost of
1. one bass boat
2. golf 2-3 a week w/ membership
3. hunting
4. fishing
5. 2 trips for fishing in canada,1 wk each with all males in his family. and our son
6. 40x40 woodshop he built last year.
i have told allen if and when i reach the cost of just one of these hobbies-i will think before i buy.
i also must add-i don't work. nor have i seen we were married-33 yrs ago.
i tell him and all my friends-"he should be cloned"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 03:34 AM   #54  
Gabfest Goddess

Default New Trick

Quote:

Originally Posted by flwrldy3View Post
I try to be careful of what I do spend and not buy things impulsively. I also try to figure out how to make things myself or wait until I get a real bargain price. I've done crafting of some sort forever and knew before I started this one how you can easily go overboard.

My husband rarely asks how much something costs. I think that is because he once told me that he noticed how much better I felt when I was doing a lot with my crafts. And he does like it when I give people cards and they really make a big deal over it.

The best response I have ever heard for being questioned about the cost of a hobby was "oh, it cost about the same as a round of golf"!! Golf can be interchanged as needed for chain saw, sander, television, any boy toys! LOL
I find the best way to get "a little" extra blow money from my DH is to be just as supportive of his hobbies and his love of college football. When he wanted to get the college game day on cable, which is like 150 bucks, I was ALL for it!

The one thing I wish I had when I started this hobby was someone (a stamping mentor) to tell me what to buy and what not to buy. I think I blew more money on garbage that I never use and either threw away or stored some place that I never even see it anymore!
(Knowing this site existed two years ago would have been golden!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 03:46 AM   #55  
Watercolor Wizard

I don't lie because he's careful not to ask. Hee, hee, our policy is "Don't ask, don't tell!"

We have a rule that we can spend up to $100 without consulting each other. This is dangerous with papercrafts...no single expense is ever that much, but they add up fast, LOL! But his hobby is triathlon (swim, bike, run), and as he's got over $12,000 worth of bicycles in the garage (and is beginning to campaign for a new one), needs a new wetsuit (about $500), wants to order $160 running shoes.... Well, you get the picture. He knows he can't say a word about my latest round of ordering. Just imagine the cool papercraft studio I could have if I spent as much as he does!

But I handle all the money, and I know what's safe to spend and what's not. I'm pretty conservative with money, so I go to my safe limit happily, but not beyond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a hobby, it's expensive. Unless you collect fallen leaves or road pebbles, your hobby will incur great costs. I reveal very few facts on my paper crafting spending habit. And, my husband spends vast sums of money on other things, none of which are disclosed to me. So, unless your "addiction" takes away the necessities (food, fuel or clothing) from you or your family, feel no guilt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

I am lucky in that I have a very easy going, generous hubby. He really doesn't mind what I spend on stamps (but I don't add it up either, I don't want the shock of it). However I do tend to go in splurges where I will buy lots of stamps and then none for a while. I have bought quite a lot this year. However to compensate I haven't bought anything else, ie clothes etc so I think this sort of makes up for it. Also hubby knows this makes me very happy and he likes that. He also really likes what I make, is knowledgeable about my stamping and takes a real interest (not to say that he doesn't tease me about it when I am on Splitcoast for the umpteenth time that day!). He is also very happy to come into the craft shops with me. However, we are reasonably comfortably off. When we get a bit short, I don't buy anything at all and he knows this. I think it is just a case of being sensible. You have to have some pleasures in life after all!!! Also, I should add, prices for stuff in Europe and the UK are much higher (often twice as much), so I buy most of my stuff in the US which even with the postage often works out cheaper than buying it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 04:04 AM   #58  
Montague Mingler

I'm like many others here... we both have a spending allowance that is 'no questions asked' and my DH is really good about throwing me an additional $20 here an there. He also covers Christmas cards and stuff like that. I do work part-time but poor financial decisions in the past left us with a large (in comparison to how long we've lived here) mortgage (but no other debt) and we try to be reasonable in our spending. Of course, now that we are empty-nesters, I DO have extra grocery money left now and then and that can meet some of my stamping wants!

I did buy two stamp sets when they were on sale at my last stamp club but, other than that, I set a moratorium against buying any new stamps last year and have stuck to it pretty well. So, it's paper, inks, adhesives, a few embellishments for me. I AM hoping for a cricut for Christmas! :rolleyes:

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tavias CharmsView Post
My dh never questions what I spend on this hobby. However, I have realized that I was spending way too much, so I put myself on a self imposed budget. I am not buying any new stamps until I ink up everything i already own! My son and I were in Michaels the other day, he needed something for Halloween and I was just browsing the stamp isle, he found me drooling over a stamp set from Inkadinkado. He was like mom, just buy it, it's really cool and it's only $9.99. I told him nope, not buying anymore new stuff for awhile! Well apparently he really liked the stamp set and he bought it for me! He did ask me for my 50 % off coupon! So, I now have a new stamp set! Gotta love this kid! LOL!
What a sweet, sweet son!!! Bless his heart (Tells me that mom and dad are doing a great job of raising him and he will be a responsible, well-rounded and caring adult someday).

This made me laugh when I read it - wonderful that he thought to use the coupon!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 04:26 AM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaGirlView Post
My husband is like that. I had to convince him to get the NFL ticket from DirectTV since he loves Football and it's one of the few things he enjoys on his own. He likes to play golf, but mostly only does it when I go with him. Luckily I love it too!

He was a grad student for 4 years, so it stems from that. He's still pretty used to not spending money on himself. I've been trying to convince him he should go ahead and get himself a mountain bike since I know he would enjoy it so much. He also is not used to having free time. Stupid PhD program!
LOL - that's what my hubby's "hobby" is too - we pay for the Sunday Ticket from DirectTV for him every year too, and he does enjoy speakers (you don't want to know how many speakers are in this house!). And like your husband, he really doesn't have anything else, he does on his own. I am not a football person, although I understand more about it now than 5 1/2 yrs ago when we got married.

He never really says anything about what I spend. Before my monthly club I will check just to make sure that there isn't something hanging out there that I'm not aware of. However the deal in our house is I write the checks - he tracks the checkbook balance (works for us). So even though I "pay the bills" I really don't worry about the balance unless he tells me we have to tighten up till pay day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #61  
Inking Addict

For me, I am not married (yet) so I don't have anyone to answer to (yet). While in university I wasn't spending lots (because I had no money) but I got an internship for just over a year and had money to spend on my crafts and then a part time job while in school to finish my degree. I allowed myself to spend on my crafts as long as I was saving at least one full paycheck a month. However my mom got really excited every time something came in the mail and she wanted to know what I got. She never asked how much it cost and she encouraged me to create because she loved what I was doing. Now that I am getting married next May I feel I have to save but that isn't going over too well since I keep making purchases saying "I need this to make my wedding invitations". I know that once we are married I will be honest with my hubby, I will know how much he spends on hockey and he will know how much I spend on stamping. He is ok with any purchases as long as you can pay for them which is my philosophy as well. I always pay off my credit card. I know that the only debt we will probably ever have is a mortgage and car payments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #62  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

My hubby doesn't have any hobbies except napping, and a couple cold ones after work. So one day we added up what I spend on stamps and compared it to what he spends on beer. It was about even.

I think his dad has more of a problem with my stamping addiction (everyone in the family knows I have one of the extra bedrooms to keep my stuff in, and it's full), so now it's just so much fun when he starts asking me how much I spend on stamps to say "The same amount your son does at the liquor store." I've been collecting for well over 10 years, hubby just rents his beers.

I really think if it's not taking food or shelter away from the family, it doesn't matter what we choose to spend our money on if it makes us happy.

I did start quilting a couple of years ago - another expensive hobby, but it goes with DH's napping, so he likes it.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #63  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Oh, I need to add that I have a friend with a hubby that collects antique tractors. She will never spend more on stamps than he will on one of those tractors.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #64  
Crimping Master

Scrapping and stamping are hobbies. My friend worries about the amount of money spent and just like I say to her, it is a hobby. it really doesn't matter because it is a form of relaxation, it allows one to zone out in their own world. Sometimes these times are the most priceless and provides for breaks from our stressful lives.

Maryann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No, I don't hide or omit anything, since I am actually the control-freak spouse. My husband doesn't care if we get into debt, but it would cut me to the core. I don't sell very many cards, but I haven't bought a card in ages, so... that saves a tiny bit of money, doesn't it? *grin*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #66  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I don't hide or omit what I spend, however I pay our bills and so most times it is just me that knows. DH also doesn't usually ask how much I've spent anyways because he knows I'm responsible with our finances and I would never spend more than we could afford. The few times he has asked, I've sheepishly told him the truth and he does go, "WHAT?!?" so I get busy stamping and scrapping so he can see me using it all heheh but he's never gotten angry.

I think there's no need for guilt or hiding or omitting as long as you're not incurring debt, you can still pay your bills, and you're not forcing other family members to forgo things they need. Every person's spending limit is different due to differing circumstances, so if you are feeling guilty honestly talk to your husband about it. Maybe you and he can work out a crafting budget so that you can still spend with no guilt attached and he can breathe easier!
Reply With Quote Likes