Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The COSTS of Stamping....

OK - I admit that I'm addicted, which is great becuase admitting I have an issue is half the battle....However, here is my REAL problem...
The cost of keeping up my stamping addiction.

Between, stamps, supplies, envelopes, stamps, paper, punches and did I mention STAMPS?

I think I spend a silly amount of money. Granted I think it's MORE than worth it. However, I also fear the dreaded question I get from my DH..."How much Money did you Spend this month on stamping?"
So - here is my question -
Do any of you actually "omit" some of the truth when it comes to the actual cost associated with your stamping?

I'm just curious if I should feel guilty here or continue to stamp and stamp and stamp some more! : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Not an issue at our house. Our paychecks are both direct-deposited into our account. At the end of the week, I get my "allowance" and he gets his "allowance" - that's our money that we get to spend however we want, no questions asked. If I choose to spend it all at the craft store, and then end up taking peanut butter sandwiches to work for lunch the whole next week, that's my choice.

We did stop together at the lss one day when we were out running errands; I asked if he wanted to come in with me or wait in the car and he replied "I think it's probably better if I don't actually know." Good man.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

As long as all the bills get paid my hubby doesnt care what I spend. And I have a full stamping room to prove it. I also sell cards. My hubby keeps a basket on his desk and that generates between $60 and $125 per week for cards..I let him keep this money. I also have a small business where I sell clear envelopes and this pays for the postage for all the boxes I send off to the troops. I have cut back a lot for two reasons. 1. I dont need much anymore, Just WANT more. 2. I want to pay off all of our debt and these dollars would be better spent that way. So hubby doesnt care and he gets his little slice every week at work. We are both happy. Plus I sell cards to two swim teams each fall (I provide 750 to eahc team to start) and this will generate several thousand $$$ for me also. Love this hobby. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Great Idea

You have some great ideas! TFS

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
As long as all the bills get paid my hubby doesnt care what I spend. And I have a full stamping room to prove it. I also sell cards. My hubby keeps a basket on his desk and that generates between $60 and $125 per week for cards..I let him keep this money. I also have a small business where I sell clear envelopes and this pays for the postage for all the boxes I send off to the troops. I have cut back a lot for two reasons. 1. I dont need much anymore, Just WANT more. 2. I want to pay off all of our debt and these dollars would be better spent that way. So hubby doesnt care and he gets his little slice every week at work. We are both happy. Plus I sell cards to two swim teams each fall (I provide 750 to eahc team to start) and this will generate several thousand $$$ for me also. Love this hobby. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Before I started crafting I used to think that maybe golfing was the most expensive hobby. I actually went with the notion that handmaking cards would be (and I hesitate to say it, so naive I will seem..) cheaper and save me money as opposed to 'expensive' pre made cards..!

I was wrong, wrong, and wrong.

I am now poor but the only saving grace is that people in general have no idea how much stuff costs-the idea of spending �30 on some stamps-approx $55-60 is MADNESS. Nonetheless people are not that stupid-they see LOADS of stuff, on every surface, in every cupboard, drawer etc and know I've spent alot-but they think i've spent alot, WE know I've spent ALOT!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

This thread is fun to read and comforting, too ~ until the "I've-put-myself-on-a-purchasing-freeze" posts start LOL!! I'm hoping more of the over-spenders reply if only to make me feel better . I like the examples above of allowances... anything to alleviate my guilt. I think it's time I started selling cards!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Default I Agree

I'm so in the same boat - I do get an allowance, but every month when stamp club comes around I start buttering up my Dh with goodies and lots of love because my Stamp purchase NEVER stays within my allowance budget.
AND I have to agree with everything blank canvas has to say! I totally thought making cards would be cheaper. HA HA HA
That still makes me chuckle!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
This thread is fun to read and comforting, too ~ until the "I've-put-myself-on-a-purchasing-freeze" posts start LOL!! I'm hoping more of the over-spenders reply if only to make me feel better . I like the examples above of allowances... anything to alleviate my guilt. I think it's time I started selling cards!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by VHarrellView Post
OK - I admit that I'm addicted, which is great becuase admitting I have an issue is half the battle....However, here is my REAL problem...

Between, stamps, supplies, envelopes, stamps, paper, punches and did I mention STAMPS?

I think I spend a silly amount of money. Granted I think it's MORE than worth it. However, I also fear the dreaded question I get from my DH..."How much Money did you Spend this month on stamping?"
Do any of you actually "omit" some of the truth when it comes to the actual cost associated with your stamping?

I'm just curious if I should feel guilty here or continue to stamp and stamp and stamp some more! : )
It is fun to get new stuff, have the latest, etc, but my suggestion is NEVER Ever lie (embellish, omit, etc the truth)! I know some times we joke about this being an addiction- but seriously it is an addiction for some. (The first step of addiction is lying to cover the addiction.)
My second suggestion is NEVER charge what you can not pay off at the end of the month.
I love getting new stamps!! But for now I will be happy using some swapped images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

My hubby, (aka big dummy) has a hobby of messing with cars. So everytime he asks what I bought I just tell him..."car parts". He just laughs, and I hear no more from him. HA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #10  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

every 12-step program will say recognizing you have a problem is half the battle...
Quote:

I think I spend a silly amount of money.
i hear ya! i used to think i spent too much, so i started tracking my spending with tips from the stamp-to-spend threads, and realized i didn't spend as much as i thought. i still think it's TOO much in lite of what's going on in the economy. we are a country of ABUNDANCE, so i'm always looking at ways to cut back and cut-out.
Quote:

oh, i'm not fallin' for that one! you think i'd say it here?
Quote:

I'm just curious if I should feel guilty here...
of COURSE! that's what we're good at but, only you can really decide if it's too much. what sacrifices are you making to spend on crafting, if any?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

My dh suggested I keep a log of EVERY SINGLE PENNY I spend on scrap/stamp supplies. I've been doing this since January. I have kept a log of every purchase I've made; however, I haven't totalled it all yet! I do dread the day my dh asks to see my log after it's all totalled! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I'm single so I don't have to worry about a hubby knowing how much I spent, or complaining about it. I still feel guilty though at times. I don't sell my cards (maybe one day) so for me, it's not like I'm making any of the money back. But, I justify it by the fact that I don't drink, don't smoke, don't really spend money on myself, other than for my hobby.

Plus, it's so much fun and brings joy to me, and has allowed me to meet a lot of wonderful people and you can't put a price tag on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisadwbView Post
But for now I will be happy using some swapped images.
I've always been curious about how a stamper goes about doing this. Would you mind explaining?

As I was walking through Target today, I had to stop at the scrapbook aisle. Mind you, I had just spent an hour in Archiver's but limited myself to $15. I went in w/a goal to spend $10 but justified the extra $5 by telling myself that it was for an actual project and not just b/c I wanted it. Anyway, as I'm turning around in Target to go down the aisle a second time, it occurred to me that I'm more of a collector these days than a scrapper. That made me very sad, very sad indeed.

I'm also struggling w/the decision to become an SU demo. More than likely I would just be a hobby demo. Is the sign up price worth getting even more stuff I don't need, just want, at a discount worth it? Don't know.

I'd appreciate any insights.

BTW, definitely have not updated my signature line in quite awhile. I passed that spend total in February, I think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't lie or omit my spending habits to the hubby. He is the one that earns the money and pays the bills...so he is the "in control" person anyhow. So I have to go to him anyway to see if there is room for stamps plus bills...I could probably deduce on my own if there are checks en route to a providor or something...but I'd rather not risk an accidental bounced check b/c I overlooked something. Plus, if something is an auto payment...there may be no way for me to know that money is getting ready to flee the checking account. It's easier to ask for money than to try and justify it later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

It is cheaper than a therapist and a whole lot more fun:p !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

We have a certain amount set aside for each of us to spend each month. My husband will sometimes raise his eyebrows when he sees another stamp set or another bag from the craft store or another box with a PayPayl label on it, but he doesn't say anything. I don't really approve of what he blows his money on, so it's a mutual thing

The family budget does pay for a few things sometimes - Christmas card supplies, scrapbooks for the family pages, and photo printing. I think that's fair, and my husband doesn't protest about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

Yes. it can become an addiction, but it is fun and it is probably more expensive then most other hobbies. I enjoy stamping and scraping and it is fun and it is expensive, however, although I "want" a lot of things, I actually only buy what I'll use, and that goes for big ticket items also. My DH does have an idea how much I spend each month as he pays the bills and our credit card bill (we only use one) gets paid each month. And I won't lie to him if he asks me how much I spent at stamp club each month, but he will be the first one to praise my work and thinks I'm very creative, I think he needs his eyes checked, but then he doesn't see all the beautiful stuff that I see on SCS and all the blogs

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Wise

Lot's of good points here - so let me do a little justifying.
1. I only pay cash - I don't own a single credit card - well one, but it's the corporate card and I don't use that.
2. I do admit I have a problem! ; ) - and your RIGHT that IS half that battle.
3. I do make sacrafices. I stopped buying LOTS of shoes and clothes and only spend my allotted blow money. (Sometimes a little more, but only if I ask first.) Except for a few exceptions! he he

And I think your right - it doesn't matter if I spent 5 dollars or 500 dollars, I would feel guilty either way!
Oh well - I'll just keep within my cash only budget and keep getting a little at a time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatView Post
every 12-step program will say recognizing you have a problem is half the battle...
i hear ya! i used to think i spent too much, so i started tracking my spending with tips from the stamp-to-spend threads, and realized i didn't spend as much as i thought. i still think it's TOO much in lite of what's going on in the economy. we are a country of ABUNDANCE, so i'm always looking at ways to cut back and cut-out.
oh, i'm not fallin' for that one! you think i'd say it here?
of COURSE! that's what we're good at but, only you can really decide if it's too much. what sacrifices are you making to spend on crafting, if any?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Nope! My hubby and I learned a long time ago that one of the best things we could do, relationship wise, was always be right up front about what we spend our money on, whatever it may be, and exactly how much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Not an issue at our house. Our paychecks are both direct-deposited into our account. At the end of the week, I get my "allowance" and he gets his "allowance" - that's our money that we get to spend however we want, no questions asked. If I choose to spend it all at the craft store, and then end up taking peanut butter sandwiches to work for lunch the whole next week, that's my choice.

We did stop together at the lss one day when we were out running errands; I asked if he wanted to come in with me or wait in the car and he replied "I think it's probably better if I don't actually know." Good man.
This strikes such a cord. I will admit that my DH & I are very fortunate - we both have good jobs, and money is not an issue. After investing for retirement, paying monthly bills, and setting aside "just in case" money, we both have an allowance so to speak of discretionary money to be spent any way w/o question.
My DH would never, ever step into a LSS - he has stated, on more than one occasion to various friends, that he would rather "venture into alligator infested waters - it's safer".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

There are times when I have said that some things do not come out of my fun money...they get paid from the HOUSE money. Like printing pictures. That's a necessity! And hubby's late mother used to do a lot of scrapbooking, so I think he likes that I enjoy it also. I was really surprised one day when he made a comment about what I do. I was talking about a group get-together and maybe coming up with some things to sell. My husband was like, "Yeah, but your stuff is so much better than their stuff..." Lol...I had no idea he had even noticed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I think that my Stamping habit is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy................Better than his smoking habit!

He spends $160 for this smokes. and I spend $70.00 a month. Sometimes more

I look at it as long as the bills are paid.

Now as for Hobbies, His cost alot more than mine does.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Dh can't deny it I use almost all of my stuff for volunteer things. I can't say I donate 23,000 plus card like some of those fantastic women however I do a 1,000 plus a year. I awlays buy stuff so I can use it for this project or that present. I agree this is an expensive Hobby but for me it's a therapy. Now if only I could right it off under Medical.
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Mmmm, yes and no. Allow me to explain:

We do not budget fun money, we are fortunate in that we both have reasonable incomes and naturally spend less than we make, so we are not going paycheck to paycheck. I do not feel I have a spending problem either, so that helps. Now that I scrap more, I spend less in other areas so overall I am comfortable with the total amount of money I expend in a month.

We both see how much money we are saving, and DH can see how much money I pay on my credit cards every month. Everything pretty much goes on the plastic and ALWAYS gets paid in full every month, so he can easily see what I spend in total. I have no problems with that- we are a partnership and that includes financial matters.

Now, when it comes to the details of what I spend money on, I am not that inclined to share information. Usually I shop as I see fit and don't go out of my way to share all the details with DH. Occasionally he'll ask me how much money I spent (this goes for any type of shopping), and I'm not particularly thrilled to tell him, and he knows this. Why? 2 reasons:

1. I was independent for several years before we married, and I'm not comfortable giving that up. It may be silly, but I just don't feel like I need to share all the details of what I do. If the overall amount I spend per month is a problem, then we can look at it together, but as long as I am not spending too much money, then I deserve some privacy. We're both adults and deserve to be treated as such. This is a very big thing for me.

2. I'll admit it, it's a little embarrassing to say 'well honey, I spent $60 on paper'. He loves my scrapping, yes, but face facts, if you are not in the hobby the costs just make no sense. He will never understand *how* one can spend $60 on paper or say why you would want more than one alphabet stamp set.

I think it's a bad idea to lie to your spouse about how much in total you are spending- that can only lead to trouble in a partnership. At the same time however, I think we all deserve some trust and privacy and have the right to spend as we see fit as long as we are not irresponsible with the funds available to the family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

My dh never questions what I spend on this hobby. However, I have realized that I was spending way too much, so I put myself on a self imposed budget. I am not buying any new stamps until I ink up everything i already own! My son and I were in Michaels the other day, he needed something for Halloween and I was just browsing the stamp isle, he found me drooling over a stamp set from Inkadinkado. He was like mom, just buy it, it's really cool and it's only $9.99. I told him nope, not buying anymore new stuff for awhile! Well apparently he really liked the stamp set and he bought it for me! He did ask me for my 50 % off coupon! So, I now have a new stamp set! Gotta love this kid! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I always use cash, so I don't have to explain anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I get an "allowance" too. When DH and I got married I told him I was "Bad" with money. I told him if I have a nickel I will spend a nickel. I won't spend more than I have but I will spend everything I have. He handles the money,
and is very good with it. I am always broke by my "payday".
:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I feel so sorry for anyone whose husband doesn't have any hobbies or
anything he spends money on, is there such a thing. He would have to be
terrible to live with; mine has lots of hobbies, so he can't say too much about it; however, I wish there weren't so many temptations. May have to
look the other way until after Christmas now, especially being retired. I have not used a credit card in three years, so that helps, sometimes I pass up the temptation that way. I did sell some of my stamping magazines on ebay
and that money is mine

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I spend a lot more than I probably should but as long as I am paying the bills that I am supposed to on time and do not have a credit card balance I'm good. Of course I should re-evaluate and feel guilty about spending as much as I do when I could be saving.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #30  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaGirlView Post
I think it's a bad idea to lie to your spouse about how much in total you are spending- that can only lead to trouble in a partnership. At the same time however, I think we all deserve some trust and privacy and have the right to spend as we see fit as long as we are not irresponsible with the funds available to the family.
AMEN sister! i agree with you - lying only leads to problems. BUT that doesn't mean FULL disclosure if he doesn't ask, and we're both respectful. i don't question his trips to the sporting goods or golf stores and he doesn't question my trips to the craft places.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

When I was first starting about 6 months ago, I was REALLLLLY bad. But I was starting from nothing. I did place a rather large SU order, but it was entirely paid for by my profits from selling the kids outgrown clothes on ebay.

I've gotten much better lately. I try to stay out of the stores. I did spend $13 last night. $5 at Michaels for a set of cat's eye inks, and $8 at ACMoore for a spooky fence stamp by Martha Stewart, a box of mini glue dots (I'm almost out and they were on sale) and two $1 packages of 10 invites that I wanted the envelopes from. Before, each trip would have been ~$40.

I am also joining SU on Oct 4 and will try to fund that from ebay proceeds as well. I have a self-imposed "allowance" and am really trying to stay within that as best I can. I've even cut back my Starbucks habit to once every two weeks to have more to spend on stamping. Now that's real love right there! LOL~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
I feel so sorry for anyone whose husband doesn't have any hobbies or
anything he spends money on, is there such a thing.

My husband is like that. I had to convince him to get the NFL ticket from DirectTV since he loves Football and it's one of the few things he enjoys on his own. He likes to play golf, but mostly only does it when I go with him. Luckily I love it too!

He was a grad student for 4 years, so it stems from that. He's still pretty used to not spending money on himself. I've been trying to convince him he should go ahead and get himself a mountain bike since I know he would enjoy it so much. He also is not used to having free time. Stupid PhD program!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

I actually hadn't spent much money on stamping/scrapping in about 6months - just adhesive and replacement cutting blades really. Mostly because I couldn't walk in my craft room without tripping over all the stuff and I realized I already had way more than I could actually ever use in my lifetime. Most of it is stuff I bought early on when I was more a collector than a creator. And not only do I know I won't use it, I don't even want to use it (stickers and other silly stuff). So I went through all of it and have 4 large boxes of stuff to give away or sell.

Also, about a year ago, I joined Wish Rak here on SCS. I have saved tons of money by being able to swap images from sets that I already own for images from sets that I now don't have to purchase.

But, of course, now that I have all this space freed up and I have saved so much by swapping rather than buying stamps, I have been thinking more about things I would like to have and actually use. I have debated for quite some time about getting a Cricut. I'm actually quite a cheapskate and I often have to think for a long time about making a big purchase like that. I like to over analyze things and I debate the pros and cons with my hubby. Not only did he not question my potential purchase, he actually encouraged me to buy it. He knows how happy stamping makes me and he just wants me to be happy (his words). So I bought it. Along with a set of nestabilities and some embossing folders. But this will probably be it for a while except for supply stuff (cardstock, adhesive, etc). Unless I sell a bunch of the stuff I already have.

So as far as talking to him about how much I spend on craft stuff (besides this purchase) I would never lie to him, but unless it's a big purchase, I might not bring it up. Not that I'm trying to keep anything from him, but 1) he doesn't really care what I spend money on, 2) I am in charge of the finances in our house which is how he likes it because he hates dealing with numbers and money and he knows I would never spend more than we could afford, 3) we both work and make ok salaries so I can offset/justify my spending, 4) we don't have kids, we don't drink, smoke, or go out to movies and we only eat out 2 or 3 times a month, plus I spend less than $200 / year on clothes and shoes (seriously - I HATE clothes shopping) so we have more disposable income than others we know, and 5) he gets a weekly allowance to spend on whatever he wants and I am not to have a say in it.

My hubby will also not go into a craft store. I think he's afraid that some other guy might see him and assume he is not "manly". The only time I actually drag him in is when I have more than one purchase that I want to use a coupon on and need him to pay seperately so I can use both coupons.

My hubby is also actually pretty good about encouraging my crafting and not just accepting it. He always asks to see the projects I have just finished and is even learning the names of some of the stamps I have. In fact, just the other day, he says about a card I made, "Is that Parisbella you used on that card?" It wasn't, but how cute is that that he even knew one of the names?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Hey I don't have a DH and my account gets cash every other week.

But I just love how you worded the issue

smile
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-scrapsView Post
It is cheaper than a therapist and a whole lot more fun:p !
Totally agree!!! Going rate for a therapist in Iowa is $130 an hour...

The hours I spend stamping/scrapbooking vs how much I spend a month is way cheaper than going to a thearpist for the same amount of hours a month...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Nothing is worth lying to your husband. Part of the reason I became a Stampin' Up demo was so I could pay for my own hobby with the profits, and that has worked wonderfully well for me. My husband doesn't care how much I spend as long as I use my Stampin' Up money.

Would your husband be okay with coming up with a budget for each month? That way he is comfortable knowing how much is being spent (and the same should be budgeted for his hobby), but you don't have to continually worry about him asking you how much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

LOL...One day my DH "looked" into my supply closet (I'm a closet stamper - ROFL) anyway....he said to me "about how much money do you have in here?" I just stated very matter of factly "You don't even want to know"....that's where we left it. I work part-time to support my habit. I've been married to my sweet DH for 38 years and as I always say....."what's mine is mine and whats HIS is MINE" LMBO

sandy;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My husband and I have a deal that has worked for many years. As long as we don't go into debt and meet savings goals that I let him set (!!), he doesn't care what I do with the rest of the money. Obviously, he trusts me to feed the kid, etc.!!!

So sometimes I say I'm spending too much and he just reminds me of our deal. He's a keeper!!!

Now he did just up the savings goal about 3 months ago and that was probably due to the excess amount of boxes he saw coming in the door....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

I am the $$ earner in the family, so i feel like i have to justify my spending to no one!! that being said.. I've been into card-making pretty heavily for the past couple years, so i've amassed a healthy amount of supplies.. I walk into my LSS and sometimes don't buy anything, cause I HAVE EVERYTHING!!. well.. not EVERYTHING, but everything i need... to top it off i am commissioned to make a number of cards around christmas, and now make $160-200 a month teaching classes at my lss.. so my hobby pays me back now too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I am lucky in that DH enjoys seeing what I do, and while he passes the odd comment about another new stamp, he is very supportive. We have had lean times in the past and have never been in debt - so I still don't go overboard. It's hard to get out of the habit of not spending, LOL. I handle the money and bills - and as long as he sees the savings keep going up, that's fine. Also I started a good part-time job just over a year ago, so I enjoy being able to spend a bit more now than I could for a few years, with no feelings of guilt. But if I splash out on a bunch of books, then it's less for craft supplies that month.
Mind you, I don't know what I'd do if he asked outright what I spent each month. I wouldn't lie, but I might be embarassed into buying less! I do use everything I buy, though, and DH uses quite a few of my cards himself. And I do think any creative activity is really good.
Reply With Quote Likes