Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #441  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I'd add dry embossing. Either to the kraft, or preferably the white so long as I had a folder that wasn't too detailed to distort the delicate font in the sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2017, 05:36 AM   #442  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Lela - I think if it was mine, I'd frame the entire white strip with color (the white on kraft is a little too neutral) - also the olive colored brads kind of fade into the kraft so I might get red ones but set in the left had corner in counterpoint to the poinsettia.

I'm not a Hoarder . . . I'm the Curator of an extensive collection of embellishments!!

Proud Fan Club Member
Guest Designer Color Challenge July 2017
Favorites Notification Team

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #443  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I would also frame the white strip with color - possibly the same green the sentiment is stamped in. I would also probably do some doodle drawing in that same green on the white (a combination of dots and lines). I have also been loving those deep embossing folders and I think the cable knit or small hexagon EF on the kraft would be pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 04:24 AM   #444  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Try this and see what you think...

Make the white strip a little bit wider and put a narrower strip of red behind it, top and bottom.

Put the ribbon on the white...about 1/3 of the way down the white, then place the poinsettia over the ribbon about 1/3 of the way in from the left.

Stamp your sentiment between the ribbon and the bottom of the white strip towards the right.

I would place the brads on the white, if you still need them.

The placement of that red and white panel would be like your original...more space at the top.

My thoughts always run to design...rule of thirds and draw the eye to a focal point.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 01:38 PM   #445  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icing on the Cake, another attempt.

My goal is a simple 'grocery' store deli cake.
Have several more hours with masking. Even got out the stampamajig to try and learn that.
Have you tried the set?
Gah.
Whisper white and Cherry cobbler.
One on foil is blushing bride.
Tee hee even tried roses with modeling paste. Pfft, they are already in the trash.

QUOTE=NicholeC;21531948]Cute card - I just bought this set, but haven't used it yet. Maybe you could you stamp a flower and cut it out, then pop it up on top of one that you stamped on the card (I'm thinking the one in the corner maybe) to give it some dimension? Or some Wink of Stella on the flowers to add some bling?[/QUOTE]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 11:52 PM   #446  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I actually still like your first card, though I think you deleted it from the gallery. These ones look as if you've achieved your goal, they certainly look like the simple iced cakes I see at the bakery counter.

Have you seen other cards with the set that you like? Can you analyse why they work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2017, 12:39 AM   #447  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree with Sabrina, these do look like you achieved the objective of looking like the simple iced cakes from the grocery store. I'm not understanding where you're doing the masking. I looked up the set and it looks to be clear photopolymer so you should be able to see where you're stamping as you work, is that right?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2017, 04:12 AM   #448  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Icing on the Cake

Thank you.
I am reading it looks ok. Thank you.
Yes, the first card was deleted, so flat looking. So first attempt looking. (Dramatic eye roll)
There are three cards in gallery and not three that tickle me at all.
Think I will keep on, perhaps make a sturdier mask.
I do appreciate your comment, thank you. Have a great week!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I actually still like your first card, though I think you deleted it from the gallery. These ones look as if you've achieved your goal, they certainly look like the simple iced cakes I see at the bakery counter.

Have you seen other cards with the set that you like? Can you analyse why they work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #449  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndJettView Post
Thank you.
I am reading it looks ok. Thank you.
Yes, the first card was deleted, so flat looking. So first attempt looking. (Dramatic eye roll)
There are three cards in gallery and not three that tickle me at all.
Think I will keep on, perhaps make a sturdier mask.
I do appreciate your comment, thank you. Have a great week!
I see, yes, there aren't many in the gallery.
Since the advent of Pinterest, many people just upload directly to their Pinterest account and (sadly) not here. So try searching there. If you don't have a Pinterest account (I don't), search Google Images, because it will bring up most of the pinned images. Not that I see a whole ton there either, but there might be something that either inspires you or reassures you that you're on the right track.

Google Images search results

I think some sets are just hard to achieve in practise what we imagine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #450  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Gingham Wagon card

I think a sentiment and maybe wink of stella on the flowers. If you have a tiny bee or butterfly stamp that would be fun too. It is a really cute card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 03:04 AM   #451  
Rubber Obsessor

I think this seems like the best thread for my post!

I am making something that will end up being stuck to a frame (painted gold husband is making the frame from wood) so its not a card per se but just imagine a card front or something *really big one though* this is 7 inches square (18 cm square) and so far i have used a technique by fran of stampendous called frantage encrusted....i mixed 4 different embossing powders together i wanted gold in it but i didnt have gold enamel i had copper ....their aged copper enamel and also mahogany tinsel embossing powder gold glitter embossing powder (dunno what brand it is doesnt say!) and also i added stampendous golden sands embossing powder too i wanted to lighten the copper colour.

I added gold and pearlised mica flakes and gold glass glitter also.

then melted it around a sunflower stamp mask.

I got this idea off a very old scrapbooking made simple video...from a few years ago but they gave how to do it and showed the sunflower on a square card and they only did the card half way up with the frantage ive gone all the way around.

I havent actually stamped the sunflower yet. stacey suggested putting clear embossing powder over the stamped/coloured image after finished so i was going to do that after its all finished to give picture a glossy look to it. but i am hoping that with all of the glitter and shiny already that that might not be too much gloss if that make sense. I also thought that it might help to keep picture clean cos like there wont be any glass over the frame just wood and and frame and a way to hang it.

so i know i have not attached a pic yet i would have to work out how to do that and then i will come back and figure it out.

but i need colour advice.

i mean it is a sunflower that im colouring in and because of the gold copper aged mahogony and the slightly pale plus the pearlised mica which looks silver to me....its would be yellow but im not sure whether to do yellow to orange or what?

I have done this on bristol smooth cardstock and will be using zig clean color pens cos they are my fav way to colour....

I wont watercolour this im intending to just colour it i didnt use watercolour paper and its too hard to add that in as well just want to do the best with the colouring i can i am still learning the right shade of colours blending shading etc!

on one of them i spasmed an bumped the card and the embossing powder spread out more than i wanted it to and a little bit has gone under the mask where i will be stamping the sunflower i dont think thi will matter much! just add to the fact its home made!

So im trying to figure out what colour to colour in the sunflower like to make sure it goes with the part around it im positive it will work...i literally saw a card coloured in with this stamp and technique though slightly different embossing powders

anyways let me know if a photo would help im thinking probably yes! and i will try to figure out how to attach one!

But this is a picture so i dont want to put a sentiment or anything like that its literally just going to get stuck into the frame!

I also wondered about the warping and whether my misti will work well enough to to combat this i am certainly hoping so!!!

anyways let me know what u think!

from Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 AM   #452  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Sounds like a lovely project Erin, yes we’d love to see a picture if you can add one!

From the description of the powders, it sounds to me like warm golden yellows might be the way to go so I guess that’s kind of between yellow and orange! If you have a scrap of the board you used, you could try swatching a few colours in there and holding it next to the embossing to see how it looks before you spend the time colouring the image.

Is the piece warped now because of the heat embossing process? If so, you could try putting it under something heavy (books are often a good choice) for a while before you do anything else with it. Pop a piece of clean copy paper on top of it first to make sure it stays clean and doesn’t stick to whatever you stack on it.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #453  
Cardstock Collector

Nice straight borders, will pass the techniques on to my wife!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2022, 12:48 AM   #454  
Cardstock Collector

Not really sure, but otherwise I like it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2022, 06:27 AM   #455  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So did you add more to this card or redo one? I asked for constructive criticism yesterday from Stampin friends and now my new goal is to make a new card or two with their ideas to make it better! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes