Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Turkey or responsible spending 2012

Several said they wanted this thread to continue in 2012 so here it is.

Some people have so much stuff they want to stop buying altogether and use what they have.
Others just want to cut back on purchases and make wiser selections.

Here is a place to put ideas and goals to spend wisely .

One thing I have done in the past is when I want only one or two things and the site has free shipping on $50, $75 or more I DO NOT look for more things to buy just to get the free shipping. I pay the shipping IF it is within reason or I don't buy it.

For 1 or 2 light weight dies or clear stamps $3 -$3.50 for shipping is my limit. $2 for the postage and $1 for the mailing envelope or exact postage and the cost of the mailing envelope. If the shipping is more than that I don't buy. I feel brick and mortar stores have a lot of overhead that on-line stores don't have so I expect better prices from on-line stores

To my thinking it is not wise spending to try to find $20 or $30 more in products just to get free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for this thread Barbara!

In 2012, I plan to be a person who makes wiser choices in my craft spending. I will bite the bullet and pay a little more for a few things that I really want (ie: dies and embossing folders) instead of spending a ton of money on a lot of stuff that I buy because it's cheap or because I have a coupon. No more wandering through Michaels or JoAnn's looking for something to buy with my coupon. If these stores don't have something on my want list, my coupon and I will leave empty handed. In the long run, I think I'll spend less and be happier with my purchases.

One thing I did this past Black Friday was "window shop" online. I followed links to a lot of the sale places, put items in my cart and then went on to another site to do the same--all without hitting the "checkout" button. Online window shopping let me see what products were available at each of the stores and it also allowed me to get a little "shopping" out of my system without actually spending money. (WARNING: this technique might not work for those who are unable to stop their finger from hitting the checkout button! LOL)

I also signed up for the 2012 Stamp & Scrap on a Budget challenge in Splitcoast's challenge thread. I'm hoping it will keep me accountable for staying within my budget--which is pretty much non-existent at the moment. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

One more thing I am stopping in 2012 and that is my written wish list.

When I had spent my monthly craft allowance I put things on my wish list. Then I was constantly waiting for the next month to chase after things on my wish list. The wish list kept getting longer and longer and I was like a dog chasing a car he will never catch.

No more written wish lists !!
I am not going to waste time waiting for next month to chase after more stuff. IF I see something so great I will remember it and if I don't remember it then it wasn't that great and I will forget about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I probably spent more than I planned in 2011 but I can account for every penny and I know what I bought and why. Very few things have not been used and I regret very little of my purchases. 2012 should be better as each day I get better about staying out of the stores and tossing catalogs out unread. I am on a strict budget and I think I would like to spend more on some new clothes and less on crafting stuff for a few months. I am considering dropping as an SU! demo and that would certainly free up some money as I am, sadly, pretty much my only customer right now and it does add up!
Mary Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I'll buy with caution. I have all I need but I'm NOT overstocked. I really don't have too much of anything except maybe stamp sets.

I love to spread my extra cash around to clothing, shoes, jewelry, along with stamping purchases, so I only have so much cash for this hobby. I'd love some copics....I have NOT ONE, ZERO, ZIP! I'd also love some more nesties. I only have two sets.

I never walk around Michael's or Hobby Lobby looking for stuff to buy. I'm not sure why I don't because I love to shop. I rarely order online because I hate to pay shipping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

The only things I plan on buying this year is adhesive and cardstock as I need it. We have made up a budget and we plan to stick to it this year so that we can get our loans and mortgage paid down sooner, that is the best incentive to not hit the checkout button.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

No more wandering through Michaels or JoAnn's looking for something to buy with my coupon

When that happens to me, I'll sometimes buy an item I'll always use up (like adhesive or cutter blades) and use my coupon on that.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always try not to spend so much but I buy for the website and it seems like the collection in my stamp room is growing...lol mostly paper and dies...I just love dies!
blessings.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 12-28-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
No more written wish lists !!
I am not going to waste time waiting for next month to chase after more stuff. IF I see something so great I will remember it and if I don't remember it then it wasn't that great and I will forget about it.
I think this is a great idea! My wish list is also in my head.
During the Black Friday sales, I came across a bunch of items that I really wanted, things I put into my virtual shopping cart. If you asked me to name them now, I could probably come up with only six or eight items. I figure if it's something I remember--without wandering down store aisles or browsing online shops--then it must be what I really want to have. (ie: The Cheery Lynn screen door die that I've been drooling over since I first saw it this summer.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
No more wandering through Michaels or JoAnn's looking for something to buy with my coupon

When that happens to me, I'll sometimes buy an item I'll always use up (like adhesive or cutter blades) and use my coupon on that.

Wanda
I've been known to use my 50% off for a three pack of tombo refills many times!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The only stamps I plan to buy are any that I have been wanting for at least a year, and then only if: a) they are retiring or, b) I need them for a specific project.

I need a few very light pastel markers to fill in gaps in my marker palette and some REALLY GOOD neutral cardstock.

Other than that, I may pick up a die or two (especially tags), but that's it!

My plan is to play with what I already have - trying out new techniques, finding ways to alter outdated papers and/or stamp on the back of them, make snazzy diecuts, etc. I also plan to make things other than paper crafts using some of the supplies I have.

It's shameful how much I have that has NEVER seen light of day since I bought it! I'm shopping my stash this year!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I am going to use what I have. All my holiday cards were created with what I had stashed away. Had to buy a few tiles to stamp for gifts, but I just kept digging into boxes I forgot I had. It was a good feeling to use up some of the stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll join again this year in the hopes of spending less on stamping/scrapping supplies. After almost 10 years of paper crafting I have all of my basics in order and a cherry on top Thank you for the continued support!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I'm so responsible it isn't funny. I have $180 in my Paypal account and I'm too much of a miser to use it now that I decided to tighten my belt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
I'm so responsible it isn't funny. I have $180 in my Paypal account and I'm too much of a miser to use it now that I decided to tighten my belt.
I want to be just like you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmm...

I have goals this year that mean I have to be responsible in my shopping.

No stamp clubs for me this year. I can still go, I can still spend, but I won't obligate myself to spend anything. If I do, ok, but no "lets see, I need to spend x amount so what else do I want or need?"

I am also planning to save CASH for my stamp spending. Withdraw 10.00 every week or two while grocery shopping instead of spending without having a budget. I can save up for a large order and save on shipping, I can do a small one... whatever I want, but the cash has to be there to go into the account to cover it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need so badly to be more responsible and USE what I have. I found some great deals online, black friday, etc. Spent the last year getting die cuts, spellbinders, etc
So, I don't really need anything, but always see temptation. We don't use credit cards, thankfully. I can't resist coupons, either; however, have been using it more for tape refills, but, there is too much temptation on these sites.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will purchase some of the Stamps I sell. For sharing creations using them.

I will be more selected about what I buy with the other wonderful supplies are there.

This year I plan on going to more Stampin/Scrapping retreats. that are local.

In fact I'll be going to one in 2 weeks. So this way I will making more stuff and than buying.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Another goal I have for 2012 is to buy stamps and such to fill in gaps in my collection of stamps and sentiments. I will disipline myself and buy with a purpose !

Today I looked through all of my stamps and I need a few Baby stamps and more images for male cards.
It is so tempting to want a lot of what I see on my favorite Designer sites , but those are usually feminine cards.
I have plenty of flowers, butterflies and Christmas stamps . I need a better selection for adult male Birthday cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I think my main resolution this year is to be more creative and productive. We moved 2 x in 6 months this year and that sucked the mojo right out of me. I didn�t do Christmas cards, store bought or otherwise this year. �or birthday cards...or any cards for that matter. I also didn�t draw much. I want to change all of that. I can�t say I won�t buy things because I really do need some stamps and other supplies, BUT, I can say that my purchases will be for specific reasons...i.e.; stamps for a particular project...BUT I must be able to use them 3 different ways..Buy cs when needed...etc. I am not much on embellishments and I really have plenty from the beginning of my paper crafting journey where I thought I �needed� everything I saw. I want to purge my stash...then shop it. I have so much out dated dp to give the kids elementary school it is kind of embarrassing ( let us not speak of all the stickers and stupid rub- on quote stacks..K?)
I love my hobby but at the same time don�t want to be sitting here next year saying �I have too much...I need to purge�... I want to be saying �Wow I really reduced the amount of product I have an am in need of new stuff �.

Stamps, ink pads, reinkers, a die cut machine (of some kind), and some markers . Those are the things on my list for the New Year.

I do think one thing that may help me is I have no stores close to me. The nearest is at least 45 mins one way so it isn�t easy to wander around with those coupons...I mean after all that is why I have SO much dated dp! On line shopping for me is really the only option...and I am pretty ruthless about spending my money now that I am a sahm. I feel bad to indulge myself in things like ��bling� that I will probably never use while my husband works his behind off. I try to keep that in the back of my mind while filling those virtual shopping carts LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I tried and failed miserably in the Cold Turkey department last year. I started out great, but when I fell off that wagon, boy did I fall far and hard! So, this year, I am going to have a much more reasonable expectation for myself. I realize that I will not be able to completely stop spending - sometimes I need a paper for a specific subject (hockey based or football based paper, graduation paper, etc.), other times I need a specific embellishment for the same reason. My goal this year is to limit my spending to those types of purchases - something I really do need because I don't have it in my stash. No more "ooh, isn't that pretty, I should probably buy it because it might be gone". If it's gone, it's gone - something else just as pretty will invariably come along.

One thing I did do really well this year was to shop and create with my stash. I'm going to spend this year doing that again, and at the end of the year, I am going to purge the rest of it - I will have spend 2 full years trying to pare down that stash, and if I haven't used it up by the end of December 2012, then I probably never will. Also, I will be more vigilant looking for alterable items that are either somehow free or extremely inexpensive - I want to expand my offerings for my church's craft bazaar.

Good luck to everyone on their goals, and Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just have to limit what I purchase. I'm running out of room in my stamp room. I purged four huge boxes of stuff to sell at the garage sale at our LSS and made over $350 bucks on it. And it's stuff I won't even miss. I plan to do a few more purges and get realistic about what I will reasonably be able to use, what my style is now, and what I need to keep. I have started to use better quality cardstock and have brought my old "cheap" paper to school for my students to use to make cards etc. They love it!

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been using my stash and spending responsibly for two years so this year I'm going to buy what I want within reason. I've been collecting dies and embossing folders for my Big Shot when JoAnn has their 40% (or more) off sales. I don't have a lot I want, but I've actually been using my spaces and my supplies. I may be in a huge minority, but I've used up so much of my CS that I'm going to have to invest in that for 2012 as well.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
T
I also signed up for the 2012 Stamp & Scrap on a Budget challenge in Splitcoast's challenge thread. I'm hoping it will keep me accountable for staying within my budget--which is pretty much non-existent at the moment. :-)
I would love to join this challenge...is it still open? If so how do I join please? I looked in the challenges forum and didn't see it.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

I too fell off the wagon :S I'm now paying off about $2,000. When I fall, I fall hard :S
On the other hand, I started a blog and motivated myself to join as many challenges as possible. There's the incentive of maybe winning a prize or even better, getting a Guest Design Team member position (free products!).
I have not bought designer paper in forever and have been slowly digging into my cut up sheets and the scrap pile. The challenges, especially the sketch challenges, help me use more than one designer paper per card. There's still loads more 12x12 that haven't even been cut up :S
I invested on the pink ATG and decided to stop with the Tombo tape runners. Huge difference price and quality wise. The scotch ATG tape is amazing and SO MUCH CHEAPER than buying refills at $5 for a few feet.
I stocked up on card stock but might pick up a few colors that I don't have if I see that I need them.
In terms of stamps, if I don't have something I need, I try to look for free digis.
There's this cool blog where all the digis are free- she just asks that you credit her work if you use the images.
Sliekje digi Stamps
They are so adorable! Plus I'm sure there's loads of other blogs like that out there.

I do not think I will be making any purchases until I have paid off what I owe, so this means I should stay on track for at least half of the new year :S The only thing I'll spend is the $40 Ebay bucks I racked up on the spending spree, and that's on the last few tools I wanted to get. I'll try to use some of that for ATG refills, mounting tape and glossy accents (adhesives).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty ChelleView Post
I would love to join this challenge...is it still open? If so how do I join please? I looked in the challenges forum and didn't see it.
It's tricky to find because you don't see it in the subforums main menu. You have to click on "Splitcoast Challenges" and scroll down past those subforums to a grouping of single threads. The easiest way to find it is to click on the link in my signature. One of the reasons I put it there was to make it easier for me to find it. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

It's killing me but I have to do cold turkey for a while to get caught up on the avalanche of bills that has replaced the snow that we usually get this time of year -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
It's tricky to find because you don't see it in the subforums main menu. You have to click on "Splitcoast Challenges" and scroll down past those subforums to a grouping of single threads. The easiest way to find it is to click on the link in my signature. One of the reasons I put it there was to make it easier for me to find it. LOL
Oh...lol! Thank you! I better put a link in my siggy too...great idea! Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

I've gotten into more mixed media projects this year and have several already planned for the new year. I'm finally using up a lot of my patterned paper that wasn't my style anymore that was just sitting around. I had several 50% off coupons for Michaels and JoAnns recently that went unused. I thought about using them for adhesive but I have a stash of that already and didn't need to add to it. I've been keeping a list of various "needs or wants" that I carry with me. If I go into a particular store looking for something and the store doesn't have it, then I go to my list to see if they have anything on the list. If they don't, then I no longer feel compelled to keep looking for something NOT on the list just to use up the coupon. As I'm doing projects and notice I'm running low on a standard item, then it goes on the list.

I do the same with online stores. I keep a running list of newly released items that catch my attention but I don't get them right away unless I'm absolutely positive I will use it a lot. If I simply like it then it sits on my list. If after several months I still want the item, then it tends to sit on the list a little longer. I may or may not finally end up ordering the item. The items that I tend to end up buying off the stored lists are those that when I go to create a project I go looking in my stash for the item only to realize that I haven't purchased it yet. The process may seem a little "off" or convoluted, but it seems to be working for me. My spending for this past year was way down compared to previous years. I initially thought it was because I simply didn't need anything, but then I realized the number of patterned papers and dies and stamps that I saw that I loved but hadn't actually purchased, so the spending being down was because I had stuck to my new "method".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

I think my goal is to get back to stamping more so that my purchases seem reasonable. Ha! I will be using old stock and images to make Christmas card sets to sell next year. I am committing to a major walk for Breast Cancer so that will motivate me to create and sell. I also hope it will motivate me to be exercising when I am not stamping. All about the balance in life, right? Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Responsible spending. I started out doing that when I realized there was SO MUCH out there and I had to make choices. So I've said no to a Cricut, Copics, stickers, chipboard and other packaged embellishments, Prima flowers, colored glitter (except for red and green), colored embossing powders and DCWV/other thick paper pads. I can avoid entire aisles in the stores!

Going totally cold turkey would make me grumpy, so I won't go quite that far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I probably spent more than I planned in 2011 but I can account for every penny and I know what I bought and why. Very few things have not been used and I regret very little of my purchases. 2012 should be better as each day I get better about staying out of the stores and tossing catalogs out unread. I am on a strict budget and I think I would like to spend more on some new clothes and less on crafting stuff for a few months. I am considering dropping as an SU! demo and that would certainly free up some money as I am, sadly, pretty much my only customer right now and it does add up!
Mary Beth
I hear you with the spending, I am my only SU customer also right now so will be dropping this next quarter. I just don't have the time or energy to be a demo in a town that already has more SB stores than it can support plus many demos that are struggling too. I love SU but I have more stamps and paper than I really need. I am truly going to stick to a budget that is realistic for the financial times we are in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

well, i cut back last year and survived, LOL

soo, i am doing it agian this year, even more so..........i have a goal for our personal nest egg, and i really want to try to reach it!

i will still buy on occasions if i really want it.......but within a limit ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Received 857 Likes on 512 Posts

O.k., I'm starting to feel like one of those people that starts a new diet every Monday! LOL! Every week, I say I'll do better. BUT this time I mean it! My friends just laugh at me now, so I've stopped saying it. Don't get me wrong, I don't go ape crazy (with a few small exceptions), but I need to cut back. I am going to try. Just ordered an ATG. I've been going through those little adhesives like nobody's business!
But I did want to give you all credit for helping me save money! Here are a few things I've used that I've learned here, and it saved me money recently. Been making my own glue dots with Aleene's Tack-It-Over-and-Over, and I actually like them much better than the bought ones. Used a recipe here to make my own envelope sealer. Learned here to mist my cardstock when using Texturz plates in the cuttlebug. AWESOME! Saves me buckoo money on embossing folders, as I still have my texture plates. Got a recipe here for stamp cleaners! Using a recipe from here for resticking Cricut mats with Aleene's TIO&O, and I still had the glue from unblocking stamps. You guys are the bomb!!! Thanks so much!
Been making up cards for a local cause, so I am actually using my supplies. I'm glad I held onto some things I thought I wouldn't use. So thrilled to be using my stamps and supplies.
O.k., guess I'll start my new spending diet tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I used to shop every week for stuff cuz I got the filer coupons, then emails with coupons for local stamp/scrap stores, and emails from retailers with weekly sales.... it got to be really ridiculous cuz I was chasing down "stuff". I had/have so much stuff. I was unhappy with my job so, I went back to university to get a second degree, which meant less money and time to make cards and stuff, but I manage to use what I have to save money and time from going out to shop. The quality of cards are still the same.
So, what worked for me was 1) I stopped looking for/ receiving the coupons... I don't need anything so, why look for a bargain to spend money? 2) I stopped subscribing to emails from local stores... don't know what's on sale; don't need to shop 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY: I asked myself, "why I felt the need to constantly acquire more stuff and do I need all this stuff?" ... really, it was because I was unhappy with my work and I felt that I needed to treat myself. RETAIL THERAPY. I am pretty sure it's not all that uncommon... it just so happens my therapy was paper and stamps while others may be shoes and clothes.
So, if you are a chronic shopper... maybe ask yourself, like I did, why and if you really need it... or is it the "rush" you get for buying stuff?
OK... nuff said. feel free to PM me if you want to know my process and reducing the stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

To be honest, the ATG is so worth it :S Considering the amount of things I have crafted in say the past week or so, I would've spent about 2 tape runner refills. My ATG which I've had for about 2 weeks now is still going strong and the refills for this are cheaper that the tape runner refills I was buying even though with the atg you get WAY more tape.

I'm trying to complete the MFT weekly sketch challenges of the past year (41 to go :S) and using up so many things that had gone untouched for SO long that I was considering purging. I have the excuse to use up all those 6x6 sheets of designer paper, or at least make a small dent :S And I'm sticking to my resolve- once these are gone, I'll buy the small paper pack collections (6x6) because it's an absolute nightmare going through about 300 loose sheets of assorted 6x6 and finding ones that match. No more buying 12x12 paper. Have got way too much of it. In fact, I'm happy to say I have not bought DP for months now even though I was tempted to buy a box full of assorted papers from the BST forum here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPTAYLORView Post
I am going to use what I have. All my holiday cards were created with what I had stashed away. Had to buy a few tiles to stamp for gifts, but I just kept digging into boxes I forgot I had. It was a good feeling to use up some of the stash.
My Christmas cards were also made with supplies I had on hand except I had to buy some green Stazon so the red stickles I applied to the little Christmas tree didn't run/change color. I only have about three Christmas set and then I have a few sets that include a Christmas stamp. I love using older sets from time to time. For some reason I feel like I re-puposing them and that they are retro. My goodness.....why does it feel like three/four year old stamps are already retro to me? It's because soooo many new ones come out all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampy-girrrrrlView Post
I used to shop every week for stuff cuz I got the filer coupons, then emails with coupons for local stamp/scrap stores, and emails from retailers with weekly sales.... it got to be really ridiculous cuz I was chasing down "stuff". I had/have so much stuff. I was unhappy with my job so, I went back to university to get a second degree, which meant less money and time to make cards and stuff, but I manage to use what I have to save money and time from going out to shop. The quality of cards are still the same.
So, what worked for me was 1) I stopped looking for/ receiving the coupons... I don't need anything so, why look for a bargain to spend money? 2) I stopped subscribing to emails from local stores... don't know what's on sale; don't need to shop 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY: I asked myself, "why I felt the need to constantly acquire more stuff and do I need all this stuff?" ... really, it was because I was unhappy with my work and I felt that I needed to treat myself. RETAIL THERAPY. I am pretty sure it's not all that uncommon... it just so happens my therapy was paper and stamps while others may be shoes and clothes.
So, if you are a chronic shopper... maybe ask yourself, like I did, why and if you really need it... or is it the "rush" you get for buying stuff?
OK... nuff said. feel free to PM me if you want to know my process and reducing the stash.
I think examining WHY we shop and what it fulfills in us is very valuable. Not just saying I am not going to do it this year .

I am a goal setter. I set a goal and lay out a detailed written plan to accomplish it. In the beginning it was useful. I needed all the basics such as a good paper cutter; selection of card stock, various dies etc. I had a written monthly purchase plan. But after I got the basics I continued to keep adding to the list. The wish list became like a hamster wheel. I was always adding things to another rung and peddling as fast as I could to get the things on the next rung. I rearranged my budget for other things to get things on my wish list before the price increased or because something was being discontinued. Well it was a Goal and I meet my goals !

Before I examined WHY I shopped I knew I had to toss the wish list.
If the price goes up and I no longer can justify the cost or if something is discontinued and I can't buy it how important will it be in the big scheme of things? Getting things for this hobby was driving all other budget decisions.
I tore up the wish list and the yearly calendar as to when I will buy things. I am not spending any money in January so I can get off this hamster wheel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I think examining WHY we shop and what it fulfills in us is very valuable. Not just saying I am not going to do it this year .

I am a goal setter. I set a goal and lay out a detailed written plan to accomplish it. In the beginning it was useful. I needed all the basics such as a good paper cutter; selection of card stock, various dies etc. I had a written monthly purchase plan. But after I got the basics I continued to keep adding to the list. The wish list became like a hamster wheel. I was always adding things to another rung and peddling as fast as I could to get the things on the next rung. I rearranged my budget for other things to get things on my wish list before the price increased or because something was being discontinued. Well it was a Goal and I meet my goals !

Before I examined WHY I shopped I knew I had to toss the wish list.
If the price goes up and I no longer can justify the cost or if something is discontinued and I can't buy it how important will it be in the big scheme of things? Getting things for this hobby was driving all other budget decisions.
I tore up the wish list and the yearly calendar as to when I will buy things. I am not spending any money in January so I can get off this hamster wheel!
This last part really resonates with me... I used to think "oh no" it's not going to be available when I need it, or it'll be discontinued so buy 20 instead of 2 or any such thing.... Then I realize that if you "miss out" this time, there is always something new that I like as well or better. There is always something new that will tickle your fancy
Good luck with not purchasing... it's kinda easy once you get used to it. For me, it was definitely not getting sale notices anymore cuz I don't miss what I don't know and I always buy stuff at regular price once I get in. I used to drive 45 minutes one way to go to Michaels in the burbs... where I live, Michaels did not exists in the city. Then they opened one 4 blocks from where I live right before I started school (a year and a half ago). Because I quit with the fliers and e-coupons, I stopped going. I have been in there twice no coupon, no bait
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

I keep all of my receipts and I noticed I spent A LOT less last year on crafts. I attribute it to; all of the local craft stores closed and I wasn't in a monthly SU club where you have to make a monthly purchase.

I like making a list of what I need and want. BUT, I wait for a really good sale and then purchase what I really, really need. I saved some money for the "after Christmas" sales, stocked up on the necessities and picked up a Verve set (that I've had on my wish list for a few years) that was finally on sale! Saved a tidy bundle on all of my purchases and I'm good for a while!
Reply With Quote Likes