Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas vs New Years ??

Ok so today I go to my mailbox and I get another .. yes another Happy New Years card... I didnt get a whole lot of Christmas this year and I was bad too with sending mine out.. ok I didnt and I even MADE them too!!! Anyways that is not what my question is..

Is a Happy New Years card taking the place of the Christmas card?? I've never seen nor heard of this .. If it had been the one I would have said it was because the family who sent it was extremely busy with a December wedding, but now two..

What gives? and does anyone else send these out instead? (it makes sense tho cuz then you have the no stress thingy, erm I think)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't think I've ever received a New Years card. I think it would be kind of nice though. People probably have more time between Christmas Day and New Years to send out cards, so maybe that's why they do it.

I send Christmas cards but didn't receive many. I think people are getting away from sending cards all together, whether it's Christmas or New Years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I'm sending them this year. I didn't get my Christmas cards done so I'm adding and a Happy New Year and sending them out. I've gotten them occasionally in the past.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am going to do New Year's cards this year-
1- I just moved and I was way too busy to make anything
and 2- I figured it would also be a good way to send out my new address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

This has to be something new then.. so there are what plenty of New Year stamps out there? Ive never seen.. so what kind of card would you do then?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I send out A LOT of Christmas cards every year. One year I couldn't get any made so I ended up making New Year's cards and sending them out. Not the same for me- so over the past few years I make and send out my Christmas cards and make and send out New Year's Cards for close friends and family and anyone that I need to send a holiday thank you to.

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I've never received one but I did send out a couple a few years ago when I was too busy to send out Christmas cards.

Typically people have a Christmas card holder or a place where they display the Christmas cards they receive. I'm guessing New Year cards find their way into the recycle bin faster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I've never received a Happy New Year card and don't send them out either.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally have never received nor sent a Happy New Year card, but I would think it would be something that a person who doesn't celebrate Christmas could do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Year's cards are common amongst my group of friends. We tend to write long personalized letters and often this just doesn't get done before Christmas, where as we tend to enjoy the cards and letters after the stress of the holidays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Its fairly traditional over here for Christmas cards to read along the lines of 'Merry Christmas & Happy New Year', so we get the two covered in one, lol. I think (over here)- its mainly a 'guilt' thing? You forgot to send to someone who has sent you a Christmas card, so a New Years is the best thing;). but they really aren't particularly used much here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 06:41 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I do Happy New Year cards for our friends who are Jewish. A few years ago I did Hanukkah cards but since that holiday is not as big in the Jewish faith as Christmas is to us I just decided to take that off of my Dec. to-do list and just wish our friends a Happy New Year instead. I usually just do a winter or snow themed card.

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 06:59 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

lol, I'm so far behind this year, I'm thinking of sending Chinese New Year's cards. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

In France we mostly send New year cards. Very rarely Christmas ones. Maybe because in France we are "la�ques". That means we are not involved as much in church matters, some god believers don't go to mass. We don't really know if people are god believer, agnostic, or atheists. For example I don't know if my husband is a real atheist or if he is agnostic. He keeps saying he doesn't believe in god and when he goes on his father's grave he says the "Notre P�re", the "Je vous salut Marie". And I don't care what he really thinks. This is his own spiritual "garden". Unless he wants to talk to me about that I won't ask him. A lot of us French are like me, I think due to the principle of "la�cit�"

And thus Christmas cards are not as important as new year which are then used to kind of keep in touch by most people and show the recepients that we love them.

I found this so that you can understand a little bit more about La�cit� and why French are acting how they do not only at Christmas but also in political matters.

"The concept of la�cit� can be defined as the neutrality of the state towards religious beliefs, and the complete isolation of religious and public spheres. According to the concept of la�cit�, the French state and government do not take a position on any religion or religious beliefs. They can only speak on religious subjects when considering the practical consequences of the beliefs and practices of a religion on the lives of its citizens. It also means, in theory at least, that there can be no interference by any religion in the functioning of the government. Equally it also means, in theory at least, that there can be no interference by the government in the religious life of its citizens, or in the forms of religion to which they adhere."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the new trend for those who were late in getting their holiday cards out. I got my first one on 12/27. They typically include a line about hoping you had a wonderful holiday season and wish you the best in the year to come.

I don't do them myself, I send out Christmas cards...but notice the trend growing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I send Christmas cards (and didn't get many this year), but I also send New Year's cards. That way I can send them any time in January and still be on time. I like to make cards so this gives me a good excuse to make more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Interesting thread. I got my first New Years card this year too, from a friend that I always exchange Christmas cards from. I also got much fewer Christmas cards this year, but still sent out the same as last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Ok so with this perhaps becoming the new "in" trend.. what do you put on your cards?? I dont recall seeing a whole lot of New Years stamps. I can imagine champagne glasses.. the words Happy New Years.. erm and unless there is a digi out there.. a diapered baby with a black top hat.. so I'm curious.. anyone show me some? the ones I have gotten were pictures made by a store and sent ..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

I tend to make snow scene type of cards for my Christmas cards because if I do finally manage to get the cards out, they're always out after Christmas, sometimes after New Year's but usually before Valentines's day. With myself and a good portion of those I ever send cards to, life has gotten really hectic no matter how you try to keep things toned down and under control. Christmas seems to be rushing through faster and faster each year from getting decorated for it and then time to take things down. This year with the kids' activities and extra ones that snuck in there, we didn't even get all our regular decorations up. I think I've gotten one New Year's card over the years and that was an invitation to a party. I get fewer and fewer Christmas cards (but that could be due to the fact I haven't managed to get mine out for the last few years). From what my group of friends say, they've sent out fewer of any cards over the last few years, and many say they don't send out any at all. For me, I'll stick to my snowflake/winter cards so I'm somewhat correct regardless of when I finally get them out.
Reply With Quote Likes