Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cardstock Weight

I'm about to start working on my daughters baby shower invites. I rarely do cards/invites (I'm more a scrapbooking). I'm not sure what weights would be suitable for cards.

I'm looking at paper from Paper and More. They state it is cardstock 65#. Here is the link to the paper I'm looking at.

Pink Cardstock

The layers I'm planning on is the base for the card (pink) a layer (purple) then probably white with the stamped image.

I'm hoping to order this on Wednesday and many of the reviews state they received their paper fast. Looking for anybody who may have dealt with them, knows the paper, or any insight as to the weight be fine for the invites.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

65# is pretty flimsy, but if you're layering it with heavier cardstock (the white & purple?), you're probably okay. But that's just a guess on my part. If the pink is your base, it may collapse under the weight of the other layers. I'd use an 80# CS for your base, but again, that's just me. Hope this helps?! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have the comparison cardstock by Waisau, but I do have their Astroparche 65#...If you are making a flat invitation it should be OK...If you are folding it into a card and adding layers, I do not think 65# is heavy enough to hold layers...

go over and take a quick look at Marco's Paper -- The Best Source for Paper, Envelopes, Cardstock & Accessories Since 1971 and compare theirs and look for at least an 80# cardstock or cover weight...Greg has a wonderful variety of papers...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have used different weights for cards and recently discovered Papertreyink.com for cardstock. Their's is 110# cardstock so it makes a great base and can handle whatever you layer on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I was hoping to make the base of the card light purple. Outside will be a pink layer, then a white layer in which I'll stamp. Also a single inside layer in white with the details. Trying to get the cards done up before we figure out the details.

My problem is finding an 80# cardstock in light purple and pink. Anybody have any companies I might find this at, please post links. I've been doing internet searches and usually don't come up with anything close to what I want. Just the 65# colored 8.5 x 11.

I really wish SU didn't do away with their light purples, that would have been perfect :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gina K. Designs has great paper. You will want to look at Lovely Lavender and Innocent Pink - both are in the pastel range. The base weight makes excellent card bases.

base weight and heavy base weight - Gina K. Designs, LLC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

OP, where do you live? In Ohio, there is a great paper store called Hollo's.

Also, how much paper do you need? I probably have some I could send you.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

65 is not really heavy but with just paper layers and stamping I would think you would be ok. Bazzil's Prismatics is 70#. I believe that 65# is around the same weight as some of the double sided patterned papers such as those from Basic Grey.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're making a regular folded card, only your base needs to be made with the heavier cardstock. I would say that 80# at least. The other layers can be just about anything and the 65# you have would be fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I think 65# would be too lightweight. Here's a link to Papertrey Ink's paper; their Sweet Blush and Lavender Moon might work for you; I have some of both colors and I love it:

Papertrey Ink - Paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I ended up ordering from Papertreyink. They had two very nice shades of light purple and pink. It might be a bit heavier then I need, the paper I choose says 110#. Not sure if the one layer will be to heavy on it or not. Is that possible to have a 2nd layer to heavy on 110#?

If it is, I'll hold on to it for future use in cards. I can always get a thinner light pink paper. I think even Staples has some coverstock that would do for invites.

Thanks so much for the responses. I now have a nice stash of links to some places for paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I think you will be VERY pleased with the PTI paper, and don't think it is too heavy to layer onto each other. For white, I use Georgia Pacific 110# cardstock (which you would think would be the same as the PTI - it's not) for my card bases and layer PTI on it all the time. I've haven't ordered the PTI Stampers Select White (YET!) - just waiting to use what I have first. But I have almost every color of PTI and love it all.

If you're using ribbon, I would recommend PTI's perfect match ribbon in Sweet Blush and Lavender Moon...

Good luck with your invites - upload one for us to see!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I have the Georgia Pacific 110# (walmart) and use it with my Prismacolor Premiers. I hope to get my House Mouse stamps tomorrow and can't wait to start coloring. I normally use that for my base but I want these to have a purple base. Is the PTI 110# Perfect Match lighter or heavier then the Georgia Pacific?
Reply With Quote Likes