Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Card Size Peeve

The slimline card appears and stamp companies rush out all manner of slimline oriented stuff: stamps, dies, envelopes, stencils. Everybody just has to get in on the action.

Hey, stamp companies, all these past years where have the products been for all us A-7 and A-8 card makers? We’re out there.

In fact, I rarely make an A-2 card – just for note cards or thank you cards. While it saves me a bit of cash by not being enticed by all those diminutive stamps on the market, I am also frustrated with finding usable stuff: a border die, for instance.  Few are longer than 5", and larger ones tend to be 12” and chunkier than I would want.  Ironically, now that slimline is ‘in’, 8" border dies are available. Stencils are usually A-2 oriented, Tim Holtz strips, or 6 x 6, and 9 x 12 stencils usually have oversized elements.Now there are slimline stencils available, but how many stencils out there are 5 x 7 oriented?

So many online vendors will post dies and stamps without any indication of the dimensions. Am I looking at a feather die
that is 4” long, or perhaps only 2”??? That flower grouping looks big, but is it only 4” across??? The assumption seems to be that the item is suited to an A-2 card, and that’s all the customer
would want. Blog images of completed cards are shown, but the size of the card is rarely mentioned. I appreciate seeing new products on video so that I can get a much better idea of the size.

Granted, I have no shortage of stamps or dies, and I can often find a use for small stamps on large cards (such as step cards).  I tend to rely on limited companies to find what I need, such as Penny Black, Impression Obsession, and various foreign companies, but it is regrettable that many companies that produced larger stamps are no longer around.

Then, there's that other peeve about the glut of 'cute' stamps . . . . .

Last edited by GypsyRoseStamper; 10-14-2020 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: format
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. It would be nice to find more things geared toward larger cards. I have found that Scrapbook.com does have their own brand of stencils that are 6 x 8. I haven't bought any yet, but at least you can use them for a 5 x 7 card. I also recently bought some A7 frame dies from Honey Bee Stamps and I've used them several times. 

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/brand-cat/scrapbook+com-stencils.html
https://honeybeestamps.com/products/a7-double-stitched-frames-honey-cuts-steel-craft-dies?_pos=3&_sid=22b4c34c0&_ss=r
https://honeybeestamps.com/products/scallop-a7-card-frames-honey-cuts?_pos=2&_sid=22b4c34c0&_ss=r
https://honeybeestamps.com/products/a7-thin-frames-honey-cuts?_pos=1&_sid=22b4c34c0&_ss=r
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interesting points

You made some interesting and valid points. I recently purchased some digital stamps from Power Poppy ( large florals). They were on sale so I thought, why not? Since it was my first digital stamp, I was pleasantly surprised that you can adjust the size of the image. So, this is an option you might like to get a larger image. I know it’s not the same as a physical stamp, but I thought I’d mention it. I went to a craft retreat recently and was chatting with a few of the ladies there. They were praising the advantages of digital stamps due to unique designs, lower prices and also supporting smaller designers. It made me want to start considering these more often. I think I will always prefer my traditional stamps, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I totally agree on the stencils. I just bought a larger square brick wall one due to the limitations of the TH format. I make a lot of 5 3/4" square cards. But venture up to 7"X5" and I'm in trouble. You didn't mention embossing folders! That has bugged me for a long time, although at least there are probably more of those than there are stencils. While I store the regular size by brand, I keep my larger ones all together. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 05:04 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

A Colorful Life Designs has a collection of stencils that are 6x9 - that is a very versatile size, for slimline, 5x7, half sheets of cardstock...

Since you mentioned the amount of 'cute' stamps... I've recently become obsessed with older wood mount stamps and their beautifully detailed artwork... many of those companies are long gone, but I wonder what happened just to that style of art stamp?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 05:06 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

The industry struggling as it is, I'm really happy that there's a band wagon to be jumped upon... times are hard.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Waffle flower has a group of A7 dies, This one 

tend to be the dies I use almost on everything.

I have found that stencils from the UK or Australia tend to be larger sizes also.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 06:36 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Yes, Darkroom Door out of Australia has some great stencils.  

It would really make sense for background stencils to come in 5 x 7 or slightly larger.  It works well for A-2, slimline, square, 5 x 7.  One size fits all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Waffle Flower A7 dies

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
Waffle flower has a group of A7 dies, This one 

tend to be the dies I use almost on everything.

I have found that stencils from the UK or Australia tend to be larger sizes also.

I have both of these Waffle Flower die sets too and they are favorites since I make a lot of 5x7 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2020, 04:51 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
... many of those companies are long gone, but I wonder what happened just to that style of art stamp?

I agree, lots of trends, not much “classic” around! There are a few companies (Beeswax and Lost Coast Designs spring to mind) that have detailed stamps, don’t seem to rely on trends and don’t seem to have regular retirements (so stamps I bought eight or more years ago are still available). The Lost Coast DT in particular seem to stamp for the joy of it, not to push the latest trend. 

Actually, the OP might like a look at Beeswax, they have a “large stamps” category that might offer some appeal (https://www.beeswaxrubberstamps.com/pages/large-stamps) and they state the size of every stamp. Some that aren’t in the “large” category are big enough to be a focal point on a larger card (I have these oak leaves for example: https://www.beeswaxrubberstamps.com/collections/trees-branches/products/oak-branch-1279m - at 4 x 4 3/4” the stamp would stand up to use on a larger format project). 

There are various 12 x 12 stencils available but the scale of the pattern might be wrong on those, too! 

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2020, 05:26 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another "bandwagon". Is the mini-slimline 6 x 3 1/2 card..  YouTube videos show stacking die sets from Trinity Stamps and Taylored Expressions.The card fits a check size envelope (readily available and standard postage in US).
GramT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I think Crafter's Companion is from UK, but many USA online stores carry their items. Some dies are too large for A2 cards, so I have not paid much attention to the selection, or any stamps. Spellbinders has larger dies. Becca Feeken is a designer with large dies for them. Maybe others, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I have actually had the opposite problem with their product where it looked like an A2 but was actually for that huge size. I had to return an expensive nested die set I had saved up for because not enough of the small sizes were useable to me. I was really bummed-cool pattern. 

I know you are venting....but let's see what we  can find for you. 

Gen suppliers: I am just asking for 5 x 7

Scrapbooking.com
Paper Wishes
Frantic Stamper
Ranger/Dina Wakely (a lot of mixed media is larger) 
Ellen Hutson
Joggles stencils/masks 6 x 9, 

Embossing folders 
5 x 7: (what I am finding in my own stash) 

Couture Creations
Spellbinders
Darice
Crafters Companion
Cuttlebug

6 x 6 squares

Nellie Snellen
Crafters Companion

Stamps

ALLand Create-over at Topflight
Power poppy has some huge flowers
Julie Ebersole did big flowers too right?

Stencils

5 x7

Studio light-over at Topflight 8 x 8 squares just landed

Just a fast down and dirty search. I bet there is a lot more if you are willing to go international-which is not hard actually. I have a done a bunch of it. Takes awhile to get here but it does. Just like shopping here-except you have conversion rates so you want to check what they are that day. The internet is really amazing that way. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I have something from all those brands!  (Doin' my part for the stamping economy!)

I would add to the 5 x 7 embossing folders: Creative Expressions, Momenta, Park Lane, Sheena and some obscure ones (UK, I believe): Barkley, Scruffy Little Cat. 

To stencils I would add Magenta and Paper Artsy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2020, 04:39 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Anna Griffin sizes most of her dies and embossing folders for 5x7 cards. 
Reply With Quote Likes