Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default card price amazement

okay, i don't care to shop.(except maybe craft stores ) and because i make my own cards, i haven't looked in a card section for ages. but because i'm doing a craft show this fall, i wanted to get an idea of what retail prices are averaging. so i was in target tonight and decided to check out the cards. well, after picking my jaw up off the floor and saying 'holy cow!' about a dozen times i came to the conclusion that my thought of charging $3.00 for some of my more involved cards was entirely reasonable. the thing that amazed me the most was that an awful lot of the cards looked like the companies were trying to make their cards look homemade. amazing...we're trying to make ours look professional, and the professionals are trying to make theirs look hand made. the first card i picked up was a horizontal card. the bottom was a print that looked like a typical striped patterned paper. the top half was totally plain white, with the words 'wishing you...' in script. and above the words were five buttons glued on the card in a row. five different buttons...different colors and shapes...just glued on. it was a totally simple card anyone could stamp out in 5 minutes. and the price on the back was $3.99 !! i couldn't believe it! then there was a line of cards that had about 2 inches of 2 or 3 pieces of printed ribbon glued in the center. nothing else, just a couple words like happy birthday and a couple hunks of ribbon. and i think they were $3.65. and honestly, i would have been embarrased to call them my own. there were some really cute cards there too, but most of them were extremely simple.
well, i've said all that to say this... (sorry it was so long but i had to share my amazement with someone...my dh just wasn't interested in a discussion on the price of cards )....many of you have been asking what to charge for your cards. if they are well made, quality artwork, take into consideration what people are paying for cards retail when making a decision what to charge. don't underestimate and undervalue your work. the cheapest card i picked up to look at was 2.99.

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

It always amazes me how expensive cards are in the stores. My grandmother is a very giving lady and always sends cards out for every occasion. She probably spends over $50 a month alone on cards. She's unable to stamp and make her own cards, though. So for Christmas this year I'm taking a photo box and filling it completely with all sorts of cards she can use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Never ceases to amaze me how people will go to a store and pay $3-$5 for a mass-produced, preprinted card but then balk at $2 for a hand-stamped one at a craft fair and say it's "too much" to pay.

I was a student officer in charge of fundraising for this past school year, and stamped a few dozen cards for a Mother's Day card sale. We were able to get $3 per card, which was fabulous because I tried to keep them simple and each one cost 50 cents or less to make. Nice thing was that the target group was design professors and fellow design students, so they appreciated handcraft and didn't give the price a second thought. More than a few marveled that they were handmade, which felt really good when I heard these comments during my shift manning the table and could proudly say that I'd created each one! Something tells me the same thing isn't gonna happen at any of the fairs I sign up for this fall! :(

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

What a nice idea for your grandma laniebug! I am sure she will totally love it! I too am always suprised at the prices of cards...and often wonder why people balk at paying that for one of my cards...not that they are the best thing ever, but I think they are pretty nice...and have no problem shelling out the $$$ for a store bought one?? Beyond me.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

laniebug, what a thoughtful and practical gift for your grandmother! and you probably thought of this already...tuck in a roll of postage stamps too.
it sounds like your fundraising cards were a big success rachel. doesn't it feel good when your work is appreciated?
i checked out your gallery carrie. your cards are beyond pretty nice...they're beautiful. anyone balking at the price is crazy. but i've realized over the years that some people appreciate the creative process and some don't. i quess that's what makes life interesting. that's why there are people who buy picasso's and people who buy elvis painted on velvet.

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

My friend and I started selling handmade cards at street faires and such. We charge between $2.50-$3.00 a card. The amazing thing is that people are surprised we aren't selling them for $5 or more! Not that anyone would buy them at that price! Then there are the people who say that they can make them cheaper at home, and then come back and buy cards because the don't have the time!!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 03:37 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MegSnider
My friend and I started selling handmade cards at street faires and such. We charge between $2.50-$3.00 a card. The amazing thing is that people are surprised we aren't selling them for $5 or more! Not that anyone would buy them at that price! Then there are the people who say that they can make them cheaper at home, and then come back and buy cards because the don't have the time!!:rolleyes:
People are idiots. If they said things like that in a card shop (and they wouldn't) the sales person wouldn't care but say it at a fair to the person who most likely created the cards.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I work as a merchandiser for American Greetings so it is sure fun to see what they charge for certain cards and great for getting ideas. I use to work for Hallmark
Hugs
Pearl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

It amazes me too, like others above have said....people will pay at least $3 for a simple card from Target but if you charge that at a fair they look at you like you have 10 heads! When I was there around Moms Day people were swarming around the card dept and I stood there in awe, thinking...I should set up a table right here...I could make a fortune!!! My daughter had to drag me away b/c I just kept saying, I cant believe it...people think these cards are nice, when like 88keys mentioned...they are trying to give them the "handmade" look, but its just not working!

A month or two ago I decided to replicate one of the Target "shaker" cards I saw...here it is! Theirs was only one layer with no other embellishments other than the few shaker beads inside...mine didnt get much notice, so maybe its not that great but it was fun to think that I could replicate the "store/mass produced" version with a little more flair!
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I think Target is one of the most expensive places to buy cards. The best place I've found is actually a regular Hallmark store. They have such a great variety of cards, and you can get a nice card for $1.49 or $1.99.

(and no, I don't work for Hallmark)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I went to Target recently for a sympathy card. I do "cute" cards & really didn't have any stamps appropriate for a sympathy card. I was floored when they wanted $3.95 for a simple white card with a flower on it!! Luckily I found a 99 cent card (is it horrible to be cheap when looking for a sympathy card??) or I would have borrowed a stamp from my friend & made my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always kick myself when I end up buying a card. I have too much supply to be doing that. Target cards can easily be done by hand at home and look better. At least people will know you spent some time on them not just money.

Exceptions have to be the fact that my daughter loved her DORA card yesterday. I can't stamp that.

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

This might be a good advertising gimmick for your craft fair, if you can force yourself to buy 1 0r 2 of the Target cards and display them with the price showing compared to your cards, which of course will be cuter, custom made, better quality etc.

Karen

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=vrboyle]I always kick myself when I end up buying a card. I have too much supply to be doing that. Target cards can easily be done by hand at home and look better. At least people will know you spent some time on them not just money.

QUOTE]

Me too! I hate buying store cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

lol!! i never thought of that, karen. i would just hope no target execs would be walking by.
i do want to say though, i have nothing against target. i actually really prefer it over the other stores of similar style. that just happened to be where i was at the time. and i know there are cheaper cards out there. but it does show what people are willing to pay for greeting cards.
i think it really just boils down to an inner attitude that people have and maybe don't even realize. to some, handmade means art...time, caring, creativity...to others, handmade means homemade...cheaper, what you do when you can't afford to buy something, somehow of a lesser quality. and i quess that's okay...there's something for everybody.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:02 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did this exact thing the other day at Target. I was thinking those are kind of cute and I can CASE that! Then I saw the price. It is funny how so many people devalue something because it is "handmade."

Good luck to everyone and their craft fairs. I haven't had much luck in the past, but I lived in a small town with lots of stampers. Now that I'm in the Bay Area, I actually had some people order custom cards from me in the past. That really made me feel good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Man! The cards in the stores I have checked out are waaaay more money than 3.99!! It is nothing to be paying 4.50 and up! Of course, like others have mentioned there are cheaper cards out there but, before I started making my cards I could easily drop 15.00 plus for like 3 cards. It is insanity. I have an aunt who goes into card stores and will just load up on cards so she always has them on hand, let me tell you, they are beautiful cards BUT, I shudder to think what she spends!

In my opinion and most people who I have come across prefer hand made cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Trueman
This might be a good advertising gimmick for your craft fair, if you can force yourself to buy 1 0r 2 of the Target cards and display them with the price showing compared to your cards, which of course will be cuter, custom made, better quality etc.

Karen
I think that's a great idea! People love to know they're getting a good deal.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyStamper
I did this exact thing the other day at Target. I was thinking those are kind of cute and I can CASE that! Then I saw the price. It is funny how so many people devalue something because it is "handmade."
I'm sure we all had those experiences growing up where we'd make gifts to "save money" because we couldn't afford to shop! Because "homemade" used to mean "less expensive" (As a lifelong crafter I cringe at calling those things cheaper! ;)), naturally people start to believe that handcrafted items should cost less than their storebought counterparts. I run into similar complaints among fellow crocheters -- people want bedspread-sized afghans for $20! :(

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a small boutique-type gift store in our town. They have handmade cards there selling for $6 and $7. Also, have you seem Marcel Schurman cards. A small pharmacy in our town carries these. They are very cute and have 3-D items on them. Some are as high as $8 a card. Buy a few of those and put them next to your gorgeous handmade beauties! What a bargain at $3!
Good luck with your sales.

My Gallery
Capricious Creations

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think part of why pople would buy a store bought card over handstamped is the size. I personally think the 4.25x5.5" cards are too small and seem chintzy to give for a birthday, get well, sympathy card , etc. For note cards (blank inside) , that size is fine and the traditional size. I always make my birthday cards, etc. either traditional size (like 5x7"), a bigger square, etc. so they seem more substantial. The store cards are getting even bigger and it seems like people like getting bigger cards. Just my 2 cents tho : )
Kati
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I've seen MANY cards at little boutiques -- and even Chapters -- selling cards that go for $6.95 CAD. Once I even saw cards that were going for TWELVE DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!! I almost died! And of course, the most expensive ones are the most simple ones, that glue a tiny rhinestone on or something. It's really ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Regarding the commercial companies trying to imitate handmade, the last time I was in Costco (in Canada) they were selling boxes of "handmade cards" so cheaply it nearly made me cry! And the cards weren't so bad either -- that was the worst part :-) I think it was 34 cards & storage box for about $18CAD. Lots of embellishments, lots of variety. Made me think Why bother making my own? (almost, but not really of course...) and no, I didn't buy any, but I sure looked closely at them for ideas! I'm sure they were handmade, but likely offshore and in bulk, and no stamping.
--Liz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price of cards

Actually even as pretty as the purchased cards may be, I find that I toss them and keep the home-made ones because they are more special. I just can't get rid of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 11:36 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

What clever girls yall are! I think it really depends also on where you live--or are selling, etc. Some areas of the country seem more likely that others to spend money on any handcrafted items. I agree too with an above poster that I dont think some people really realize what goes into making a handmade card--time and supplies both! That is why SCS is soooo great....we all get it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by staff2
Actually even as pretty as the purchased cards may be, I find that I toss them and keep the home-made ones because they are more special. I just can't get rid of them!
I have people telling me, 2 years later, that the card they got from me is still on their desk at work. I have a lady that buys cards from me and doesn't like to send them to anyone. She says they are too pretty to give away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I have been making cards now for several years and I keep copies of all of my cards. As I look back on them, I am surpised and pleased with how far I have come with my card making skills. My first card was with Pine Boughs and one color of ink- green. I cut simple shapes- tree, gift box and ornaments and put on the front. There may have been a bow to hang the ornament or wrap the gift box and my verse was printed on the computer and glued. I have even recycled the fronts of cards that I have gotten and simply glued them onto note cards. Some years I would still buy cards.THANK GOODNESS I HAVE COME A LONG WAY BABY FROM THAT...LOL I am most pleased with the cards that I sent last year and they are my most involved card; several steps, several colors and several techniques. I would do one or two steps every night on all the cards.I was a happy card maker. BUT my husband and I both laughed when I added up all the costs of supplies; I had spent as much as I would have if I had bought them.
I love making cards and getting cards and save all that I get if they are hand made, but I do not worry if those I send are kept or not- that would drive me crazy- that is why they call it a gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappykat
I think part of why pople would buy a store bought card over handstamped is the size. I personally think the 4.25x5.5" cards are too small and seem chintzy to give for a birthday, get well, sympathy card , etc. For note cards (blank inside) , that size is fine and the traditional size. I always make my birthday cards, etc. either traditional size (like 5x7"), a bigger square, etc. so they seem more substantial. The store cards are getting even bigger and it seems like people like getting bigger cards. Just my 2 cents tho : )
Kati
I have wondered about this, too. My husband has commented that he thought the cards would be better if they were larger. I may try that this Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

:-D
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparksdm
I have wondered about this, too. My husband has commented that he thought the cards would be better if they were larger. I may try that this Christmas.
I was thinking that as well. ...make them larger..... more room for glitter LOL
Reply With Quote Likes