Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card design theory

Does anyone know of any books on Card Design Theory?

Also any good books on Color Theory? I have a color wheel

Thanks
Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in knowing if there is such a thing as you have asked for.

In the meantime, I've dug these up for you:

Rule of Thirds

Color Theory
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a blogger who has created 13 Design Basics Lessons (scroll down to Apr 1, 2008 entry).

These lessons are based on some experimenting done after buying a book by Jim Krause called Design Basics Index. You can preview the book here.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you so-o-o-o much!

I will look at ALL of these suggestions.
I have become fairly comfortable with my supplies and equipment, but it takes me forever to assemble a card that satisfies me.
Because I have no rules or guide lines I just shuffle things until something works. LOL That is a cumbersome method. There has to be a better way!

I can see when a layout/ color combination is not working, but I don't know why.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Barbara!
There was a great discussion a while back here on SCS about design theory. Here is a link for you.
Also, I recommend checkin out Susan's blog: Simplicity by LateBlossom
She has a lot of great tips on design and fabulous projects, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow both Susan's and Donelda's blog have a ton of tips and advice on design Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I was thinking about LateBlossom too! She certainly has design down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Barbara, I looked for many years for a book like that and could never find one. Publishers, bloggers, companies -- Instead of posting books, magazines, blogs, and websites full of great cards, tell us why each card works. PLEASE. YOU WILL MAKE MONEY>>>>.

and include examples of cards that DON'T work. (you can pull from my gallery!!)

In the meantime, I've googled out the wazoo and read some basic design books and websites. (A lot of them are now geared only towards web design, which is kind of sad, but the principles of design apply in a similar fashion regardless of the medium.)

The problem is that it is hard for me to translate "a rule" of design into action. I need to see HOW and WHY.

So I share your frustration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Barbara, I looked for many years for a book like that and could never find one. Publishers, bloggers, companies -- Instead of posting books, magazines, blogs, and websites full of great cards, tell us why each card works. PLEASE. YOU WILL MAKE MONEY>>>>.

and include examples of cards that DON'T work. (you can pull from my gallery!!)

In the meantime, I've googled out the wazoo and read some basic design books and websites. (A lot of them are now geared only towards web design, which is kind of sad, but the principles of design apply in a similar fashion regardless of the medium.)

The problem is that it is hard for me to translate "a rule" of design into action. I need to see HOW and WHY.

So I share your frustration!
Yes Joan if it is a good book it would be a best seller!!

I would like to see one good design and then examples of poor designs in each chapter with the rules for that application so I could try to figure out what was wrong. Then the solutions for the poor designs in the "back of the book". Sort of like the answers to questions in a workbook
No cards are alike and I need to be able to figure out why a card of "mine "isn't working.

The author could include rules for how to combined pattern paper :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

here's an interesting and short article re: combining patterned fabrics. I think it is applicable to papers!

How to Combine Patterns in Decor | eHow.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Joan!! I guess we have to write our own book LOL

I just found this for choosing compatible colors to combine. It is by Adobe
kuler
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Post Another author suggestion

Our own SCS Mod Lydia, Understand Blue has wonderful art talent and probably could write a book on design too. Check out her blog and cards and classes...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Nichole Heady did a great blog post about some basic layout guidelines. Sorry I can't find/post it off the top of my head. If you search her blog, it probably wouldn't be too hard to find.

As to colour theory, I've seen things here and there in magazines, etc. Also, jewellery making sites often discuss colour combining. Home decorating info often discusses combining patterns.

I know I've accumulated a bunch of knowledge over many years, but couldn't definitely tell you where and when.

And I've seen (and bought and read) many, many books over the years about cardmaking TECHNIQUES some of which will touch on design principles, but you're right --a basic course in "graphic design 101 for cardmakers" would be a great book idea. Especially if it had a gallery of flawed designs contrasted with improved versions.

Here are a few basic concepts I use again and again myself: The rule of thirds, the Z-pattern, odd numbers typically work better than even.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i seem to remember HOTP releasing a book called design elements some yrs ago. might be what you're looking for.

have to say tho i get most inspiration from blog hopping!!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Barbara Jay!
I'm the one who started the discussion awhile back here on SCS! I TOTALLY AGREE with you on the design thing!!! I ALSO, like to know WHY!!! And it's SOOO MUCH EASIER to learn these things by sight! IF you find out ANYTHING on a book, let me know???? I'm going to check out the sights that were recommended too!!! We MUST be a couple of a few people, who want reason to the madness!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm mixed on this idea of whys and why nots. I strongly feel that art is an expression of self. I'm not convinced that someone's opinion should determine what is right or wrong, works or doesn't work ... the whys and why nots. Hmmmm. I delight in the differences in people's creations. Sometimes when something is off-center, it is meant to be. And when there is no design "triangle," that's okay. And when there is a mix of unusal colors or patterns or design elements, that's a good thing. I dread the day when art is governed and juried by someone's opinion of what is right or wrong, works or doesn't work, and their theory of why and why nots. How would it be to have a world of art that is all the same, same, same? I know, I'm thinking too deep here, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I totally agree that art is a creative thing and no one wants cookie cutter cards and layouts produced by defined templates and firm rules.

However, even when writing music, which is also creative, there are basic guidelines . Traditional Asian music is written in the Minor key. The composer strings the notes together as he/she sees fit, but when people hear it they recognize the Asian influence and mood that the composer intended.

If a Country Western song was written in a Minor Key most people would know it doesn't sound right, but not know why . A musician would say transpose it to a Major key and it will sound right.
A very few gifted composers can break the rules and get away with it, but not many.

That is where I am at with art. I look at something I made and it doesn't look right and I don't know why.
I feel this thread is producing some great ideas. The rule of thirds, uneven number of embellishments , etc.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 06-15-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Barbara Jay!
I SOOO AGREE with you!!!! IF, art is TOTALLY an expression of one's self, then WHY is it that EVERYONE doesn't win an art contest? Card contest? Just solely on the fact that it is an expression of one's self! It is because they have been able to MASTER THE ART! So, actually when we do our art we ARE being judged!! (Even if we aren't in a "contest!") We're all individuals, so our art doesn't come out looking like its been cut from a cookie cutter! STILL it is individual! (Hope I'm not sounding odd by saying all this! But, like I said earlier, there is A METHOD TO THE MADNESS! WHAT IS IT? That's all we're asking!!! )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

As I said earlier I am at the stage where I just shuffle things around until something works. That is a very frustrating and time consuming method.
I am determined to learn the basic design and color rules.

I have a color wheel and Blue, Red & Yellow are supposed to work together. However, there are an infinite number of shades and tones of each color and I know from experience they don't all work well together. I need to learn how the various tones and shades of a color work together and how to recognize them without trying every piece of CS I own until something works . LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I know what you're saying! When it comes to color: You have the Primary colors, Red, Yellow & Blue. They always go together.Then there are the secondary colors; Orange, Purple & Green... And it goes on from there. Warm & Cool colors.... It ISN'T the color thing that gets me, it's the LAY OUT of the card! Even when taking classes through a SU lady, online classes, NO ONE ever says truely HOW they come up with their layouts! Sure you can follow the layout of someone else, but when you want to do your own thing.... No one has much of an answer! What was told to me earlier in the other discussion was SUPER! Did you read through what one of the ladies said? It DOES help some! And looking at the sights others have recommended! But, I still struggle with my layouts! I DO feel like there is SOMETHING MISSING!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabalotView Post
I'm mixed on this idea of whys and why nots. I strongly feel that art is an expression of self. I'm not convinced that someone's opinion should determine what is right or wrong, works or doesn't work ... the whys and why nots. Hmmmm. I delight in the differences in people's creations. Sometimes when something is off-center, it is meant to be. And when there is no design "triangle," that's okay. And when there is a mix of unusal colors or patterns or design elements, that's a good thing. I dread the day when art is governed and juried by someone's opinion of what is right or wrong, works or doesn't work, and their theory of why and why nots. How would it be to have a world of art that is all the same, same, same? I know, I'm thinking too deep here, right?
This forum really just needs a "like" button. I totally agree with you. I think that is what makes it fun and that is how my mind works. Others have minds that need to know the who, what, where, when and why. And that is okay also. I find that the older I get, the more relaxed I am with my card making and will go with what pleases me. But, other parts of my life get more rigid as I get older. As long as we are all having fun creating, the road we take doesn't matter. (just as long as they all pass a Godiva and a Starbucks)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Everyone Wins!

[QUOTE=TLady;18426619]Barbara Jay!
WHY is it that EVERYONE doesn't win an art contest? Card contest?

When we were young, my older cousin told me "There are cute, pretty, beautiful and gorgeous girls. Pretty doesn't win the crown." Then she said "BUT, not everybody likes Picasso."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default TOO FUNNY!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy LittlerView Post
This forum really just needs a "like" button. I totally agree with you. I think that is what makes it fun and that is how my mind works. Others have minds that need to know the who, what, where, when and why. And that is okay also. I find that the older I get, the more relaxed I am with my card making and will go with what pleases me. But, other parts of my life get more rigid as I get older. As long as we are all having fun creating, the road we take doesn't matter. (just as long as they all pass a Godiva and a Starbucks)
Godiva and Starbucks ... too funny! I think this thread is an interesting exchange of opinions and ideas. A great way to share information and to learn from each other. I don't however, think that it's a "be all, end all" with all the answers. I follow about 20 blogs and I have probably watched more than one hundred u-tube card videos. For every one that says/shows one thing, there is almost always a contradictory opinion. So ... I just don't know if there is an absolute formula or definitive whys and why nots?

We live in a world full of judgement and opinion. I have seen cards with 350 views and 50 comments and I look at it and wonder why. Then again, I've seen cards with 150 views and three (3) comments and wonder the same thing. It's all in the eye of the beholder. But my thought is ... if you're looking for it, I hope you find it. If not, go with Cindy and me ... whatever makes you happy, and continue on your journey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

gabalot!!!!!!!!!!!!
What you've said is SOOOOO TRUE!!!!! The Picasso part! Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder! I think comments on peoples cards comes back to popularity! At least that's what I've found! The leader of a group that one is in has alot to do with the comments left also. Whether they really encourage people to encourage each other! But, when you really think about it, art DOES have a method to it! Art Schools, whether they're Home Decore or Commercial Art etc., ALL have basic methods! From what I've been able to gather, it also applies to something as simple as card making!

Last edited by TLady; 06-15-2011 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Need to elaborate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

What a cool thread! Lots to think about here. And I'll add my two cents even though I haven't finished my morning coffee.

This discussion got me thinking of the parallels between design and writing. The rules for writing (only then it was rhetoric) were sussed out by the ancient Greeks, who were also dab hands at design. All those rules of rhetoric (and boy, there are a LOT of them) were intended to make a speaker's words more effective with an audience. If you are a good rhetorician, you can never forget your audience, or that audience tunes you out and you're just talking to yourself.

Now, talking to yourself is fine and can be very satisfying, but only to yourself. As a composition teacher, I can't tell you the number of students who want to be "creative" writers. They have talent, but they refuse to write for an audience, to use the rules to their advantage and purpose. They want to free write...which only results in writing that they themselves can read. No one else can get it. There's nothing AT ALL wrong with that unless you want an audience to buy your books or are taking a class in which the teacher is your audience and responsible for giving you a grade, LOL!

Design is the same sort of situation. If you're trying to communicate something in images, colors, shapes, lines, and mood to an audience other than yourself (magazines, gallery surfers, blog readers, your mom), you need to speak the same language they speak...in other words, you need to know and use the rules of design to influence your audience in a pleasing way.

If you want to express yourself for the sake of expressing yourself, however, have a blast and don't worry about the rules. Post your work and don't worry about comments. You may just create the next trend!

Most of what I have learned about design (and I'm still learning every day) I picked up by trial and error and by reading Cathy Zielski's books on scrapbooking. BUT even after years of plodding along trying to figure it all out, I still feel like a beginner. The difference now is that I don't beat my head on my desk when I screw up or can't figure something out. I just try to have fun.

I am comforted by the fact that Leonardo da Vinci carried the Mona Lisa around with him for years before he died because he wasn't satisfied with it. He kept tinkering and dabbing at it. For us, Mona is iconic Great Art. For him, she wasn't finished. If someone as talented as the genius Leonardo kept plodding, well, there's nothing wrong with my plodding at all. In fact, plodding is a fine thing to do.

In summary, have fun with whatever you're doing in design...whether it's learning to reach an audience or just doing what feels right to please yourself. When you can loosen up and play and make mistakes and not hate yourself for them, the whole process becomes more enriching and positive for you. And if it's positive for you, you won't care so much about numbers of comments or publication credits.

Wow, sorry this is so long. Maybe I should have waited until after my coffee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
What a cool thread! Lots to think about here. And I'll add my two cents even though I haven't finished my morning coffee.

This discussion got me thinking of the parallels between design and writing. The rules for writing (only then it was rhetoric) were sussed out by the ancient Greeks, who were also dab hands at design. All those rules of rhetoric (and boy, there are a LOT of them) were intended to make a speaker's words more effective with an audience. If you are a good rhetorician, you can never forget your audience, or that audience tunes you out and you're just talking to yourself.

Now, talking to yourself is fine and can be very satisfying, but only to yourself. As a composition teacher, I can't tell you the number of students who want to be "creative" writers. They have talent, but they refuse to write for an audience, to use the rules to their advantage and purpose. They want to free write...which only results in writing that they themselves can read. No one else can get it. There's nothing AT ALL wrong with that unless you want an audience to buy your books or are taking a class in which the teacher is your audience and responsible for giving you a grade, LOL!

Design is the same sort of situation. If you're trying to communicate something in images, colors, shapes, lines, and mood to an audience other than yourself (magazines, gallery surfers, blog readers, your mom), you need to speak the same language they speak...in other words, you need to know and use the rules of design to influence your audience in a pleasing way.

If you want to express yourself for the sake of expressing yourself, however, have a blast and don't worry about the rules. Post your work and don't worry about comments. You may just create the next trend!

Most of what I have learned about design (and I'm still learning every day) I picked up by trial and error and by reading Cathy Zielski's books on scrapbooking. BUT even after years of plodding along trying to figure it all out, I still feel like a beginner. The difference now is that I don't beat my head on my desk when I screw up or can't figure something out. I just try to have fun.

I am comforted by the fact that Leonardo da Vinci carried the Mona Lisa around with him for years before he died because he wasn't satisfied with it. He kept tinkering and dabbing at it. For us, Mona is iconic Great Art. For him, she wasn't finished. If someone as talented as the genius Leonardo kept plodding, well, there's nothing wrong with my plodding at all. In fact, plodding is a fine thing to do.

In summary, have fun with whatever you're doing in design...whether it's learning to reach an audience or just doing what feels right to please yourself. When you can loosen up and play and make mistakes and not hate yourself for them, the whole process becomes more enriching and positive for you. And if it's positive for you, you won't care so much about numbers of comments or publication credits.

Wow, sorry this is so long. Maybe I should have waited until after my coffee!
Long this may be, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts just now! You and I sound like two peas in a pod! My teaching areas are in languages, Drama, and English, so I too am constantly focused on the issues of communicating to others. Thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

LateBlossom!!!!!
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Doesn't matter if your post was long! You've stated the issue PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!) THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Does anyone know of any books on Card Design Theory?

Also any good books on Color Theory? I have a color wheel

Thanks
Barbara Jay
Hey Barbara, what a great thread!! thanks for startig it!!

I bought a great book called Design Basics Index by Jim Krause. A few years ago I shared 11 Lessons based on things I learned in the book. If you or anyone else is interested in them, you can find them along the right side near the bottom of my blog Wiggy's World. Now, mind you, they were done a LONG time ago and my crafting skills were probably minimal so don't expect anything exciting, but I think they clarify some of the ideas well as I did "with" and "without" cards. Now that I look back, maybe I will re-do some of those lessons...they were fun to make and a great way to learn in the process!!

Okay, now I am going to read more of this thread!!
Have a great day everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

oops, someone beat me to the punch - guess I should have read the whole thread before I added a comment ... sorry for the repeat in information.

Last edited by wiggydl; 06-17-2011 at 05:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Donelda! I watched all of your tutorials and I ordered the book. The tutorials are great and I recommend anyone who has not looked at them to do so. I liked the way you transferred Jim Krause's design ideas to card making
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I certainly don't have the theories down, but I have an idea for color!
There is a woman, Beverly Ash Gilbert, who does the most fantastic beaded jewelry. Now, I know that beads aren't cards, but she's also developed a color theory system. She posted 3 different exercises on her blog a *very* long time ago - but they were so helpful that I tend to go back & try them again from time to time.
Here is a link to the first: The 'value' of texture
The second: Color Transitions
and the third: Are You Saturated?
I haven't bought (to my shame) her book, Eye for Color, but now that I've been reminded I think I'll ask for this and Dip Into Color for my birthday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabalotView Post
Those are my feelings exactly.
If I make a card that I'm thrilled with then to me it's a good thing. If I make one I don't like then I try and improve on it.
There is a great site here on SCS that if you give them one color you want to use it will suggest others SCS colors that will compliment it.
I tried to find it in my bookmarked section but it's no longer there.
Maybe someone else still has it.
Good luck
My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I am so glad you started this thread. As someone who never took an art class in high school or elementary school, I don't really know the basics of color and design. I've taken a few classes in adult education over the years, but they mostly center on drawing - and I'm not patient (nor is that my purpose for taking the classes. I have always appreciated when I've read simple basics on people's blogs. I too, know when it's "right" and have to spend a lot of time with either color or design as I construct cards. That's why I love the SCS challenges. I appreciate the book tips and websites to visit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I am currently reading this book call Masterful Color: Vibrant Colored Pencil Paintings Layer by Layer by Arlene Steinberg. The new edition will be out somewhere in Sept but the current edition should still be available. It talks about design and composition and simple colour theories. There are a number of books on just colours alone. Borrowed one from the library today call The Colour Book by David Lloyd. Basically you can try some of these artist, painting, drawing kind of books. I am learning to draw and brush up my colouring skills and since the library doubles the borrowing quota during Jun school holiday now is the time to borrow all I can so that I can cross reference
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I think a lot of principles of photography might apply (that is where I'm familiar with the rule of thirds from). One that you might try is framing elements without using a frame as such. For example, in a nature photo, a tree branch near the top might frame the scene. You can frame along 1 or 2 sides instead of all 4. This should give you a nice assymetrical composition without being too strange.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Along the lines of what whitebat is saying... graphic design concepts may apply as well...generally, a lot having to do with color (contrast, shadow) but some other theories regarding text, placement. There's tons of info & books out there on that subject.

I always naturally tend to do the "rule of 3" which I didn't realize was a rule until long after i was using it, but that tends to work for me in balancing things. Generally, you use 3 elements to make a triangle shape, which sort of attracts the eye around the 3 elements. The cool part is that they can be combined in different ways for different levels of drama.
Reply With Quote Likes