Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2005, 06:13 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help me with a few questions before I order?

I'm wondering about a few things before I place my order. I appreciate any input you can give. I can't decide which free stamp set I would like. I've narrowed it down to: Stippled Stencils, Little Layers Plus, or Sweet of You. What are your thoughts? Which would be the most versatile? I would like to make cards and use them in scrapbooking. I'm getting Art of Life for free as well. Also, what is the difference between the blender pens and watercolor pens? I would like to use my chalks but am not sure which one to go for. Do I really need the cleaning mist for the scrub pad or can I use water? Lastly, should I get the 8.5x11 assorted cardstock or the 12x12? Which size will I get more use out of?
Thanks so much in advance for helping me with any of this!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I personally would get little layers plus. I buy 12x12 cardstock because I too am a scrapbooker. I just cut up the 12 x12 when I need smaller sizes and have special folders for my cut up pieces. So far works great! I have the watercolor marker and the blender pens and find the blender pens easier to use, still trying to master my watercolor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #3  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts
Default question

Since I don't scrapbook (yet!) I buy the assorted card stock, but I can see why you would prefer the 12x12. The colors are great! I use my Little Layers Plus and my Sweet of You. You may get more use out of Sweet of You, since LLPlus is a bit more seasonal. I do love both, though. I use my blender pens a lot with my chalks and you can use them for watercoloring as well. I think the blender pens are a necessity!

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your purchases!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:23 AM   #4  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts
Default question

Oh, I can't live without my cleaning mist for my scrubber! I would DEFINITELY recommed that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:23 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

The blender pens would be easier to use with your chalks if you are taking it right off the corner. I think the aqua painter gives a better look for watercoloring though. If you scrapbook with 12x12, then get it. If you are doing more cards, then get the 8 1/2x11.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:29 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Little Layers Plus

Blender Pens for your Pastels (remember to touch only one corner of your pastel "cakes" with your blender pen tip, as the fluid causes the pastels to harden and seal and then they will be unusable in the regular way)

I don't scrap unless forced :shock: So, personally, I prefer 8 1/2 x 11" and only purchase 12 x 12 when a card or 3D project requires a larger size of paper.

You can "get by" with water for cleaning your stamps on the scrubber; however more stubborn ink colors like red and teal are more easily cleaned off with the mist. Water is virtually useless for cleaning off Basic Black ink because it is permanent/bleedproof; if you use Basic Black at all in your stamping, you might purchase a Yo Yo Yellow Pad specifically for "cleaning" basic black off your virgin rubber (in other words, not for stamping, for cleaning! And, yes, it does work and I use it myself!). Rub your stamp against the Yo Yo Yellow pad and then clean against the scrubber, and most of that black stain should "lift" off the rubber.*

*This works great for brand new stamps--not stamps that have been stained previously/months ago by use with Basic Black. For stamps with "old" Basic Black stains, I would recommend using a solvent based cleaner specifically designed for cleaning off permanent inks. JudiKins makes the best I've ever tried.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I have all three of the hostess sets you mentioned. I love Stippled Stencils for heritage and collage cards and pages. I've used it the most. If you aren't into that style, I'd vote for Sweet of You. Why don't you look at the galleries for each set and see which one tickles your fancy? :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:37 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Julie, is this true for any yellow stamp pad?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If it were me....

kelsluvs:

If it were me.... (and I'm primarily a scrapper...)

I'd do Little Layers Plus for versatility...and knowing that we scrappers don't tend to like to "color-in" our stamped images. Unless you're looking for heritage/vintage looks, then'd I'd do Stippled Stencils.

Stampin' Mist? Absolutely! It has a conditioner in it that will keep your rubber from becoming brittle and cracking over time...a definite *plus* if you like to hold on to your stamps. (Of course, SU! using the *highest* quality rubber - unlike the junk that can be found from one manufacturer I bought from in a magazine - and it is pretty unlikely that it will deteriorate anyway!)

If you're doing pastels, you'll want the blender pens. *Definitely* follow the advice of JulieHRR or the mineral oil will cake your pastels into unusable masses!

And I *always* buy 12x12 papers...until I *must* make cards for Convention then I buy smaller to avoid waste. I'm the opposite of Her Royal Rubberness...my cards are *awful* so I only make them when I absolutely can't get out of doing so!!

Just my NSHOs.... ~Kaylyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Help before Order

Julie, I honestly wish someone had given me the tip about blender pens only being used on the corner of the pastels before I used them in the center. Not only do they become hardened and difficult to use for chalking but they break easier when you use from the center. Sorry if I hijacked the thread but this is a really important bit of news to pass on to newbies.

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:03 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: Can someone help me with a few questions before I order?

a) get Little Layer Plus. I LOVE THAT SET!!!! The flower is especially versatile! I use this set on cards and scrapbooking all the time. It's also a great set to make a block border along the bottom or down the side of a page. I'm very :mrgreen: that you get Art of Life! What a great set!

b) Get blender pens. I use mine all the time.

c) Can't answer your question about Stampin' Mist b/c I don't have it.

d) If you're into scrapbooking, get 12 x 12 cardstock. Then at least you have the option of using if for pages, you can always cut it down to size to make a card.

HTH! Have fun!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 07:09 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Am I the only person to scrapbook in 8 1/2x11? :shock: All my paper is that size and works great for me.
I love the Little Layers Plus and blender pens and I too couldn't live with out the scrub pad!
Tina
(�.�� (� ;.*TiNa .~*

mY GallErY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:14 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

The Stampin' Mist is important because it not only cleans your stamps, but it also CONDITIONS the rubber. This is especially essential if you are stamping with bleach or into hot melted embossing powder or hot glue; you want to take care of your stamp investment!

Margaret
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Tina,
You are not alone. Not sure if it is because my storage is set up for 8 1/2x11 or what, but that is the size I use (maybe it's an AK thing?). I also agree with the rest of what you said. Yes, for blender pens (thanks for the tips gals, didn't know about the hardening) yes, Little layers (though I don't own it personally, it's on my wish list) and definitely yes on the scrub and mist, you won't regret it and it'll make your stamping experience that much easier and faster. What could be better?

Ideas that I've had time to put to paper & post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #15  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I love the stampin Mist... it conditions your stamps for you!! I buy the 12x12 cardstock because that is what I scrapbook with.. I do 12x12 and now found out to love the 6x6 ones too, so 1 sheet will do 4 6x6 pages!! I have the Little Layers plus and love it!! You will use it all the time!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsluvs2scrap
Julie, is this true for any yellow stamp pad?
I cannot answer that; I only know that it works with Yo Yo Yellow Classic because I used it based on someone else's (Kymbers) recommendation and was thrilled to find it worked!!!

I've heard rumors that it can be done with "any" yellow dye ink pad but I personally cannot confirm that.

I keep one Yo Yo Yellow Classic Pad marked with RED permanent marker on the lid so I know it's the one I use for cleaning and not stamping.

As for Stampin' Mist, I use mine and absolutely cannot imagine not having it around for cleaning and conditioning my stamps, but it is true that simply plain water can clean many dye inks off.

As I said before, just doesn't work great for colors that tend to stain, i.e. red, teal, etc. nor for permanent type inks--which is bothersome to me and can result in cross contamination of other ink pads, like Versamark, which you definitely do NOT wanna cross contaminate!
Reply With Quote Likes