Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default It breaks my heart!!!

I spend some time in the gallery (OK - a LOT of time!!!) and I come across so many lovely inventive cards that have no comments!!! I don't have my own gallery yet - but if I did - it would kind of hurt my feelings to be ignored!!! I guess it is because there are so many entries. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to leave comments 10 times a week, especially for people that have worked so hard and have 0 comments.
jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by prairiejenView Post
I try to leave comments 10 times a week, especially for people that have worked so hard and have 0 comments.
jen
I was trying to do that but I got out of practice (lazy). Thanks for the reminder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHamboView Post
I was trying to do that but I got out of practice (lazy). Thanks for the reminder!

It's nice of you stampers to try and leave comments, especially those postings with zero comments! I try to do that as well. I make sure I leave a comment if I put it into my favorites! Keep going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I tried posting to the gallery some of my work (shellpole), but have stopped since there does not seem to be an interest in looking at my stuff.

My blog however, has a much better hit ratio.

Maybe others feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Michelle I just checked out your gallery - and it is a remarkable example of exactly what I am talking about. You have so many darling cards with zero comments on them. I honestly think I would be discouraged. Off to check out your blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Your blog is awesome. I guess that is where it's at these days. . .

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's why I quit posting here unless it is specifically for a challenge. Otherwise, I post my artwork on my blog. My blog doesn't get a ton of traffic but more than my gallery here.

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Wow...I went to go leave some love for zero-comment cards and forgot to change the sort to ascending instead of descending. There were 12 pages of cards for the last day, and the zero comment cards started on page 7! That means almost half the cards uploaded had no comments!

That *is* kind of discouraging, but I don't know what the remedy is! I have started to get back in the habit of leaving 3 comments for every card I post, I figure if I have time to post a card, I have time to leave comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
Your blog is awesome. I guess that is where it's at these days. . .
Most of my cards have 0 comments. I've kind of given up on putting cards in my gallery since I post them all on my blog too. Challenge cards do seem to get more attention,

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

I've discovered that just because a card doesn't have any comments doesn't mean people aren't looking. One of my most viewed cards only has a few comments on it. I actually think I get a truer idea of how much a card is liked by how many times it's been favorited. As much as I like a card I don't always have time to make [what I think is] a worthy comment.
I post on here because I want to share my artistic endeavors with some of the people who have inspired me-not because I want people to make a comment. Although it is nice when a comment is received, I don't feel crushed if I don't get comments on some of them. It's just not that big of a deal to me.
As far as my blog goes I get alot of hits but the comments on there are even more rare than on SCS.
Sorry for my rambling but in the end I paper craft for me because I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #12  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

I try to go to the main gallery every day or so and I start with the zero comment cards first. I do agree....so many go with no comments that I try my best to leave a comment on as many as I can. I agree that someone has put a lot of effort into creating and should get a nod. I think a lot of people look but just move on with no comment. There are always pages and pages everyday with zero comments...I think the sheer number of cards overall appearing in the gallery everyday is overwhelming to some and time is definitely an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 03:29 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I'm in the same boat as most of you ladies; most of my cards don't get commented on, so I stopped posting them here and I don't have a blog. I do, however, comment on cards that I've favorited or that I've opened and have no comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the recipient of comments from Karen, Cathy, and Meg--especially on zero or low comment cards--I can say that your efforts in the gallery are VERY appreciated!

All my cards eventually leave me (to go to the troops for their use or to my friends and family), so my gallery is a record of my favorite creations, a sort of virtual scrapbook, if you will. I love getting comments, or being favorited, or having views, but many of the cards I post that are my all-time favorites are some that get the least attention from others. That's okay. I really do think so much awesome work gets ignored simply because of the number of uploads, poor photography, non-su product, etc.: things that have nothing to do with the quality of the work.

Besides, why feel hurt that others don't have more time to post comments when I myself feel like I don't post enough? That's one reason I started the CAS favorites of the week thread, so the clean and simple cards could get some love...and I could take advantage of other people's searches in the gallery, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

It breaks my heart more to hear that some stop posting because of no comments. Don't stop, post because you love what you do, post because it gives you a way to keep a porfolio of the work you've done for future reference. Keep posting knowing that someone will at the very least have a look at your work. We can't all be Picasso's in the card making world, I'm not. But I appreciate having a place to share my work, a place for constant inspiration and a place where I can keep up to date on the latest trends. And you never know...if I keep at it maybe I'll come up with a design that will rock SCS someday. But if I don't, well I sure love getting a chance to see the work of those who do. Don't let your desire to post here at SCS be based solely on how many comments you get.

Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't spend near the time in the gallery that I used to, and like me I think others may be spending more time blog hopping and if I visit someones blog I generally don't leave comments for them here, not enough time to do both. Unless I upload a card for a challenge on the day it is posted, I seem to not have many comments or even looks a lot to times. Like Susan, I like to have a record of my work, I do have a blog but I started uploading here long before I had a one. I absolutely love getting comments but I also absolutely love creating. I must make some time for the gallery, I have seen so many wonderful creations with little or no love!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't mind zero comments anymore. When I first started uploading here a couple of years ago, it was quite different. Now there are just too many cards every day. I don't get much time in the gallery myself either.

I still upload to my gallery though. I see it as a personal record of most of the cards I've made. Of course, I still have my photos on my computer - but the ones that are uploaded have had photo correction and descriptions with them here in the gallery. I can also give the link to friends who'd like to see my cards. It's a bonus if someone cruising the galleries would like to have a look at something. . . and comments are gravy .

With all the uploads each day here, I think even views are a big compliment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

i am fairly new to posting, and have a teensy tiny gallery, but i have to say i would not want someone to comment on my card just because no one else had; that would seem like a "pity" comment to me. i'll pass, thanks!

i get tickled pink when i see someone has put it in their favs, and of course comments are nice, but that's not why i post them. part of it is to keep an online record of my cards, because i do give most of them away, and frankly, part of the reason i have a gallery is to be "a part of" this community. and part of it is because i want the people who's cards i have CASED to see how they've inspired me. and on the rare occasion i have a card that's original to me, well, who knows who else might enjoy looking at it....

and....(and i'll probably get boo'd and hissed for this!) i personally get frustrated when i have to click another link, and go to a blog to get information about a card i like. frequently the information is wayyyy down the blog, or i can't find it at all, and it's extra steps. i often just move along on those cards, because i feel like i have to work too hard to appreciate the card, and there's plenty of others to look at. it's the opportunity cost of time, i suppose.

Last edited by IdahoLee; 06-13-2009 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: forgot part of my thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I like getting comments, but I' m not too disappointed if I don't get any on a particular card. I know that my cards get views. I love the galleries for inspiration, and posting my cards hopefully will give inspiration to someone else. I make cards because I get great satisfaction, pleasure, and relaxation from the act of creating - that is all the reward/ recognition I need. But, I do try to post a comment on cards that I particularly like, so people know that their work is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Cathy. I think everyone is really inspired from gallery entries. Hopefully members can upload cards to a gallery but not really think too much about them after that. The lack of comments is definately not a reflection of lack of interest but more so in many cases, it's more a lack of time I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I've discovered that just because a card doesn't have any comments doesn't mean people aren't looking. One of my most viewed cards only has a few comments on it . . .

I post on here because I want to share my artistic endeavors with some of the people who have inspired me-not because I want people to make a comment. Although it is nice when a comment is received, I don't feel crushed if I don't get comments on some of them.It's just not that big of a deal to me . . . in the end I paper craft for me because I enjoy it.
My thoughts and feelings are pretty much the same as yours on the issue.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

It sounds as if most of you are looking at this very maturely. Realize that I DON'T even have a gallery - I am sort of projecting my own insecurity into this - I sure appreciate all that you guys post - I really do. I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
As the recipient of comments from Karen, Cathy, and Meg--especially on zero or low comment cards--I can say that your efforts in the gallery are VERY appreciated!

All my cards eventually leave me (to go to the troops for their use or to my friends and family), so my gallery is a record of my favorite creations, a sort of virtual scrapbook, if you will. I love getting comments, or being favorited, or having views, but many of the cards I post that are my all-time favorites are some that get the least attention from others. That's okay. I really do think so much awesome work gets ignored simply because of the number of uploads, poor photography, non-su product, etc.: things that have nothing to do with the quality of the work.

Besides, why feel hurt that others don't have more time to post comments when I myself feel like I don't post enough? That's one reason I started the CAS favorites of the week thread, so the clean and simple cards could get some love...and I could take advantage of other people's searches in the gallery, too!
I am with you. I post my stuff to have a record of what I have done and maybe to give another crafter an idea they had not considered. If I get a comment it is greatly appreciated but I am ok if I don't. Plus, I post everywhere, on my blog, on the various stores gallery where i purchase the stamps, challenges, whatever I have time for. Pretty much for fun. I try not to take things too seriously. If I find I am getting bummed for not getting comments I make myself remember that I do this for fun not for accolades. There are so many cards that come through here on a daily bases it is hard to keep track of them all but I do try to leave comment on as many as I have time for.

Please don't give up posting! Many times I have been randomly going through cards and found a zero comment one that I immediately favorited because it was just what I needed or liked. You never know who will be inspired by your work!

Blog Paper Rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I've discovered that just because a card doesn't have any comments doesn't mean people aren't looking. One of my most viewed cards only has a few comments on it.

in the end I paper craft for me because I enjoy it.
I used to have a goal of commenting on a minimum of 3 cards a day. Then I began to wonder if that didn't seem fake - posting for quotas. Since my original intention was to encourage and build up, I stopped doing that.

In a case such as yours, however, I still try to post and ask a general question to the effect of why so many have viewed and FAVORITED w/o complimenting the artist. As far as I can tell, that's never worked, LOL, but I do try.

I say, way to go beaddict. Afterall. "Imitation is the purest form of flattery." Isn't that why most of us favorite - to copy?

Oh, and as far as blog-hopping, I just find that more time-consuming. I have to wade through ads, yippies and what-the-kid-did-today to find the stuff I went there to learn. The gallery is short and sweet (although often with a blog link), IMO.

Last edited by binx; 06-13-2009 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoLeeView Post
i am fairly new to posting, and have a teensy tiny gallery, but i have to say i would not want someone to comment on my card just because no one else had; that would seem like a "pity" comment to me. i'll pass, thanks!
I don't think it's a "pity" comment, I think people are just trying to spread the love around. If I don't fancy a card, I find it hard to leave a comment. But if I notice something nice about a card that has a small number of comments, I'm more apt to leave one than if the card has 27 comments.

Quote:

and....(and i'll probably get boo'd and hissed for this!) i personally get frustrated when i have to click another link, and go to a blog to get information about a card i like. frequently the information is wayyyy down the blog, or i can't find it at all, and it's extra steps. i often just move along on those cards, because i feel like i have to work too hard to appreciate the card, and there's plenty of others to look at. it's the opportunity cost of time, i suppose.
No boos or hisses here...I agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #26  

The challenge cards usually get most of the attention and I've noticed a drop in my cards getting viewed since I don't play in as many challenges anymore, but they're all still getting Favorited. Sooner or later your gallery is going to give somebody some inspiration, so I just really post to share what I've done with others.

A good way that I make comments is that when I go to the gallery homepage, it will always show the most recently uploaded and I'll comment on those that I see so it's an automatic 5 comments right there and a lot of those end up in my Favs.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I just had to share this...my SIL came over to our house for a few minutes today and saw one of my cards out on the table (one that I, just this morning, told my husband was "underappreciated because it is freakin' awesome."*). She started looking at it and asking how I did it and then she said, "Wow, that shading is amazing!" Wow! I asked my hubby if he had primed her with the correct things to say or something, but no, it was completely spontaneous! Total warm fuzzies, so I may just start having her over more and "casually" leaving my cards out on the table.

*Yes, a Southern girl is always modest and humble. And never swears.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

arg, i'm gonna just call this one a mess up and post what i wanted in the next comment!

Last edited by IdahoLee; 06-13-2009 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: because i'm a techno-peasant who can't manage the "quote" function!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
I don't think it's a "pity" comment, I think people are just trying to spread the love around. If I don't fancy a card, I find it hard to leave a comment. But if I notice something nice about a card that has a small number of comments, I'm more apt to leave one than if the card has 27 comments.

that's a good point, and you're probably right. and i do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Wanted to let you ladies know that I've been coming to SCS website for inspiration for several years. There are just so many wonderful cards here and I don't feel like I could ever see them all!
I finally decided to sign up myself because there were times that I genuinely wanted to leave comments on some amazing cards. I'm going to be honest here and say that not every card posted here is my style, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the effort that went into it, or the technique that was used, or the layout or something else about it. I've been trying to leave comments for cards that have something about them that appeals to me. Sometimes it's color, or layout, or subject matter, or ??? I'm not going to say that I like a card that I don't, but because there are so many cards I'm sure I'm never going to see all the cards that I might like either. So please don't feel bad that I haven't got around to visiting you all yet.
I've only posted a few things so far, and although it's nice to get comments, I'm not upset when no one leaves one either. If you are a person who thrives on comments then do challenges, or make sure there are lots of keywords, or get involved in discussions (Like this one) because that does get you noticed.
I have to agree lots of people do seem to have blogs these days. Sometimes I visit and sometimes not. Kind of depends on how interested I am in the card, what they have on the blog and how much time I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jknathView Post
I am with you. I post my stuff to have a record of what I have done and maybe to give another crafter an idea they had not considered. If I get a comment it is greatly appreciated but I am ok if I don't. Plus, I post everywhere, on my blog, on the various stores gallery where i purchase the stamps, challenges, whatever I have time for. Pretty much for fun. I try not to take things too seriously. If I find I am getting bummed for not getting comments I make myself remember that I do this for fun not for accolades. There are so many cards that come through here on a daily bases it is hard to keep track of them all but I do try to leave comment on as many as I have time for.

Please don't give up posting! Many times I have been randomly going through cards and found a zero comment one that I immediately favorited because it was just what I needed or liked. You never know who will be inspired by your work!
Agree completely. I don't let lack of comments discourage me anymore. I don't have enough time to surf the gallery and comment on cards every day and figure others don't either -- especially with all the wonderful uploads every minute.

To those of you who don't post your cards because you think no-one is interested: don't give up. You might not get comments all the time but your work is still appreciated -- I know I'll search when I'm looking for something specific and many times a 0 comment card for weeks, months or even years ago will be the perfect inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #32  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammeView Post
Wanted to let you ladies know that I've been coming to SCS website for inspiration for several years. There are just so many wonderful cards here and I don't feel like I could ever see them all!
I finally decided to sign up myself because there were times that I genuinely wanted to leave comments on some amazing cards. I'm going to be honest here and say that not every card posted here is my style, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the effort that went into it, or the technique that was used, or the layout or something else about it. I've been trying to leave comments for cards that have something about them that appeals to me. Sometimes it's color, or layout, or subject matter, or ??? I'm not going to say that I like a card that I don't, but because there are so many cards I'm sure I'm never going to see all the cards that I might like either. So please don't feel bad that I haven't got around to visiting you all yet.
I've only posted a few things so far, and although it's nice to get comments, I'm not upset when no one leaves one either. If you are a person who thrives on comments then do challenges, or make sure there are lots of keywords, or get involved in discussions (Like this one) because that does get you noticed.
I have to agree lots of people do seem to have blogs these days. Sometimes I visit and sometimes not. Kind of depends on how interested I am in the card, what they have on the blog and how much time I have.
Ditto to your comments 100%

I'm replying coz I love your signature. I was getting (choclate...sshhhh) fingerprints on a couple of my cards today, LOL. In my defence I'll say that I had to multi-task today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Stupid question...but how do you search for cards with zero comments?

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingShawnView Post
Not a stupid question at all because I don't know how either, but I go to the Gallery and then click on the button that says All at the top right where the uploads are and it will show me every single card uploaded here since its inception and you can just scroll down and see the cards with no comments. For true 0 comment cards, go back a few days. Hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingShawnView Post
The Gallery will sort the uploads for you. Go to the Gallery. In the line that says Recent Uploads, click on the time period you want. I'll pick "7 days" for this example. The database will return over 7,000 images. Scroll down to the bottom of the first page of returns, to where it says Sort Photos.

In the Sort By drop-down box, pick # of Comments.
In the Timeframe drop-down box, pick Last Week.
In the Order drop-down box, pick Ascending.
Click the Sort Now button.

That will return all the cards uploaded within the past week, and they will be sorted with the zero comment cards first. When I tried it this morning, there were 7,665 uploads within the past week. About 2,480 of them had zero comments. Nearly a third of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #36  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Interesting to read everyone comments over the past few days on this topic. I agree, I craft for me as a release and for fun etc. I give most of my cards away. In my gallery I have put up a few, lots of hit, no comments etc. It doesn't concern me. But deep down inside I do feel a "twang" when I see someone's card posted and there are no comments. It is not a pity comment, it is my way of trying to make people feel a bit proud of something they took the time to make and then post. My gallery started off as wanting to share my work and see what others think, now I use it for inventory control and when others ask about something. I am the CASE QUEEN amd my favorites is darn near full I'm sure.
jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #37  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
The Gallery will sort the uploads for you. Go to the Gallery. In the line that says Recent Uploads, click on the time period you want. I'll pick "7 days" for this example. The database will return over 7,000 images. Scroll down to the bottom of the first page of returns, to where it says Sort Photos.

In the Sort By drop-down box, pick # of Comments.
In the Timeframe drop-down box, pick Last Week.
In the Order drop-down box, pick Ascending.
Click the Sort Now button.

That will return all the cards uploaded within the past week, and they will be sorted with the zero comment cards first. When I tried it this morning, there were 7,665 uploads within the past week. About 2,480 of them had zero comments. Nearly a third of them.
Oh wow, thank you so much for that! You're a genius (at least in my eyes)!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Thanks for the tips! I had no idea that you could search this way!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

arg, i'm gonna just call this one a mess up and post what i wanted in the next comment!
'Techno-peasant' made me lol!! And a good application of rule 62!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm dying to know and have never had the nerve to ask...

What is Rule 62?

Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes