Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Let me throw in my perspective. uh-oh... LOL!

I think there are degrees. On my blog, I am obviously promoting something. Just so that's clear. (Like I had to tell you that! LOL!) However, there is a difference between a blogger saying something like-

"I made this card using the new stamp set from XYZ company. I used orange and red card stock and added a few brads to add some interest, For the background I used the new snowflake folder by Cuttlebug. I'm really enjoying the many uses for this new set. You can make birthday cards, thank you cards, baby cards and so much more, so it's a great value. For a link to see the entire set, Click Here"

And a blogger who does this kind of thing-

"This is the greatest stamp set from XYZ Stamp Company. CLICK HERE I made it using orange and red card stock I got from HERE and then I added THESE BRADS that I got from ABC Stamp COMPANY, CLICK HERE! You can't live without this ribbon, CLICK HERE and for the other colors CLICK HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE. I just landed a position on my eight new design team for Silly Stamps! To see the latest from Silly Stamps , CLICK HERE. For their new stamps CLICK HERE, HERE and HERE."

I really appreciate the way my design team loves the products I send them. It makes me happy when they post examples of my stamps on their blogs and galleries. I appreciate the links too. That is one of the purposes of a design team. They help you promote your product by showing potential customers what can be done using your images, paper, etc...

But in reality, it hurts a company if a designer acts like the above example. It also hurts a company when a designer gets over-saturated with design teams.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about being a designer- choose a couple of companies that you really believe in and show others what they can do with those products. You don't have to be on 20 design teams to be "hot in the industry." What's hot to a stamp company is a designer's dedication to producing the best quality samples they can. If you are under the gun to produce 6 cards for 8 different companies every month, you barely have enough time to post them all and things start to overlap and it becomes a mess.

Just some food for thought. There is a very popular designer who is well-known and loved here on SCS. I approached her when I first started my company and asked her if she would like to join my team. She kindly declined because my style was little too much like a company that she was already representing and she felt that it would be a conflict for her and unfair to the other company. I have the utmost respect for that designer. It wasn't about adding another notch to her stamping bedpost. It was about integrity and loyalty to the company who gave her her first opportunity. I like that and so does every other stamp company owner out there.

Just my humble opinion.

Hugs,
Gina K.
Well said.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:21 AM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I think there are degrees. On my blog, I am obviously promoting something. Just so that's clear. (Like I had to tell you that! LOL!) However, there is a difference between a blogger saying something like-

"I made this card using the new stamp set from XYZ company. I used orange and red card stock and added a few brads to add some interest, For the background I used the new snowflake folder by Cuttlebug. I'm really enjoying the many uses for this new set. You can make birthday cards, thank you cards, baby cards and so much more, so it's a great value. For a link to see the entire set, Click Here"

"This is the greatest stamp set from XYZ Stamp Company. CLICK HERE I made it using orange and red card stock I got from HERE and then I added THESE BRADS that I got from ABC Stamp COMPANY, CLICK HERE! You can't live without this ribbon, CLICK HERE and for the other colors CLICK HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE. I just landed a position on my eight new design team for Silly Stamps! To see the latest from Silly Stamps , CLICK HERE. For their new stamps CLICK HERE, HERE and HERE."

I really appreciate the way my design team loves the products I send them. It makes me happy when they post examples of my stamps on their blogs and galleries. I appreciate the links too. That is one of the purposes of a design team. They help you promote your product by showing potential customers what can be done using your images, paper, etc...

But in reality, it hurts a company if a designer acts like the above example. It also hurts a company when a designer gets over-saturated with design teams.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about being a designer- choose a couple of companies that you really believe in and show others what they can do with those products. You don't have to be on 20 design teams to be "hot in the industry." What's hot to a stamp company is a designer's dedication to producing the best quality samples they can. If you are under the gun to produce 6 cards for 8 different companies every month, you barely have enough time to post them all and things start to overlap and it becomes a mess.

Just some food for thought. There is a very popular designer who is well-known and loved here on SCS. I approached her when I first started my company and asked her if she would like to join my team. She kindly declined because my style was little too much like a company that she was already representing and she felt that it would be a conflict for her and unfair to the other company. I have the utmost respect for that designer. It wasn't about adding another notch to her stamping bedpost. It was about integrity and loyalty to the company who gave her her first opportunity. I like that and so does every other stamp company owner out there.

Just my humble opinion.

Hugs,
Gina K.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:30 AM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica'sMomView Post
I get what you are saying, Denise. There is a difference between giving a link for a product used and an endless stream of "Did you hear? Go buy this now! You need it!" etc. I also agree with "it's their baby..." I tend to breeze through the blog if I don't want to read all the hype and just check out the creation.
Ditto.

Just want to add, that I enjoy reading blogs when it feels genuine that the artist loves the stamps. But some blog entries only give the feel for an advertisement. I think Gina K gives 2 examples that perfectly explain the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessica'sMomView Post
I get what you are saying, Denise. There is a difference between giving a link for a product used and an endless stream of "Did you hear? Go buy this now! You need it!" etc. I also agree with "it's their baby..." I tend to breeze through the blog if I don't want to read all the hype and just check out the creation.
Ditto.

Just want to add, that I enjoy reading blogs when it feels genuine that the artist loves the stamps. But some blog entries only give the feel for an advertisement. I think Gina K gives 2 examples that perfectly explain the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK.... can you tell that I was having problems replying? :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #86  
Insane Embellisher

I always tell anyone who will listen that I don't sell stuff; I tell and show people how to use stuff others are selling. No design teams for me either...don't want to get buried under the deadlines hassle (been there, done that with the books and articles I've written).

I do have favorite companies, and the requirements I have for a company to make that list are high. First and foremost is quality. Second is honesty; a product must do what a company says it'll do. Third is customer service; problems must be tended to as quickly as possible. I also appreciate multi-use products; my quilting tools and supplies are a prime example of that. My blog is PaperFriendly cause so many sewing and quilting products are used for paper crafting.

For me, devoloping a technique is where it's at...and nothing is more fun than figuring out a new way to use a product. To obtain the results I get (after multiple testing), using specific products is usually necessary, if not absolutely necessary. If that falls into the classification of 'plugging,' I'm guilty!

Last edited by craftdesigns; 12-01-2007 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #87  
Kookie Creator

I guess it all depends on why you read blogs and what you are looking for. I personally 'look' at blogs to see what projects they are doing. If I like something, I look for information about how they made the item. I have found a lot of small companies products that I haven't seen anywhere else.

The more detailed the information the better if it is some new or different twist on a technique. I hate when vague information is given that doesn't work right if you don't know 'the secret'. Some people are just better at writing details than others I also like to skim through the writing to find a lot of hints, tips and techniques that may not be part of a project but just a better way of doing something.

If I see a stamp or product that is used to make something that I want to find, I look to see the name of it and the company that sells it. If they have a link all the better so I don't have to go on a search in google through thousands of hits to try and find it.

As to the gushing, I've always felt it was just the personality of the blogger. I think in writing the personality of the blogger comes out. Don't you know people who talk that way? They communicate in a very dramatic way. I guess it doesn't bother me because I just skim through and read them only if I find something that interests me and I want more detail. I'd rather they write all the details, even if I have to read through the gush to get it, than to have to email them to get the information and then try and remember what project it was I was asking about when they respond!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #88  
Pearl-ExPert

I love to blog surf when I have time, but I have to agree- Several of the places that I've been to lately do feel like a non-stop commercial. (Which is fine - I can just surf right by it if that's not what I want to see at the moment). I do appreciate other blogs which are a bit more low key. It makes one wonder too, when the designers link only certain products to a store, why is that? There are other products used and mentioned in the list but not linked. Sometimes it is the 'other product' that I'm looking for....not the one that everyone knows about already (with yet another link). Gina hit it on the nail with her examples. It is the latter one that can get old really quickly. Just my .02

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #89  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colleen SchaanView Post
Erin...now YOU are one that I KNOW would be a stitch to meet...as you would be just as funny IRL as you are on your blog. I ditto exactly what you say...a bubbly gushy personality is just going to come through...some like it and some don't.

Gee...I tend to gush...and bubble...I hope I don't annoy???!
You couldn't annoy anyone if you tried! LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #90  
Rubber Obsessor

I also understand where you are coming from, but the average reader does seem to want to know some basic information about the supplies used on the project. There was one time I didn't post the supplies used and just talked about the project and someone emailed me asking what the stamp set was.

I also use my blog for business first. I do like sharing ideas with everyone as well, but my blog is intented to keep my customers up to date with what is going on and giving them useful information about the project that I am showcasing in my post. I don't go crazy with product information in my post, but have shown a supply list once or twice. I think that the supplies used can be posted tastefully without it being a serious commercial for your company, but also, be a business tool for those that are trying to make money at their business.

I hope that I am keeping my posts simple enough for the people who would like to enjoy visiting a blog to get ideas and informative enough for the people who want to know what was used to make the project. A good balance between the two is what I try to shoot for when posting on my blog.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #91  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I assume that the gushy people just ARE gushy. I fully expect to meet you all someday and you be exactly like you are on your blogs. Amy R I expect to say, "Hi Erin, did you SEE the awesome sale at blah blah blah?!?" then we jump in the car and go there. (I'm picking on Amy, because she's cute and famous, it could be anyone) My point is that I see it as an expression of that blogger's personality. Which I LOVE. I could see just as many cute cards in the gallery (and do of course) but on your blogs I can see YOU and your cards.

ps, I'm on a design team, but am not oversaturated and would have time for Gina. *hint, hint, wink, wink*
RFOL I just saw this......in real life I'm not an overly "gushy" person - but when it comes to stamping and all those goodies I AM - you should hear me on the phone with other stampers - all we talk is "OMG did you SEE the new ______???? ACK! I HAVE to have them!!!" (We're all rotten little enablers really ;)).

I know one particular blogger (who shall remain nameless) who is VERY upbeat and "gushy" and also tells it like it is - and she is EXACTLY like that in real life too - it's true what one of the previos replies on here said - you can really get to know a person's personality through their writing!!

And I dunno about the whole cute and famous part - but I'll definitely take the compliment!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #92  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm just going to chime in and say that I totally agree with all posters who said they link to products because otherwise they get tons of emails asking where they got it.

It's true! And it saves us time to just link to it in the first place! I'm sorry if it's annoying, but I am sure no one wants to answer a bunch of email asking the same question every time - this is just easier and it helps everybody. You don't have to click on them!

Ok, off my soapbox about that one!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #93  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

just popping in to give my 2 cents...
linking does help in not getting a lot of emails asking when, where, who, what and why.
being on a dt does give you opportunity to promote the co. you work with. when i say that i like it, i mean it. when i say that it is a must have, that's bc i really do think so and i want you to know how much i really do like it. i wouldn't work with those co's if i did not believe in their product. trust me, there are companies out there with limited integrity that i would not associate myself with. i see what the original poster is talking about tho. it can be overwhelming when someone is constantly promoting and creating a shrine for a co.
and btw...i'm a guilty picture looker sometimes non-reader, too. i try to visit as many blogs as i can and it just wouldn't be possible if i had to read each and every life story. sorry if that sounds rude, but i would rather see your work and skim over your story rather than hang on each detail of your everyday life. no one ever accused me of not being honest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #94  
Hardware Hotshot

I have to admit I am guilty of linking - but I link because when I don't I get emails asking me where can I get it etc....

I link to the company or where I got it of everything major that I speak of - and I am not just talking about the items I am on a design team for. I say when I get it at the dollar store or ebay. And yes sometimes I say you GOTTA check out the dollar store. It is excitement and love, passion, not pimpin product. I guess you can see it how you want it....

I also post recipes and say you gotta taste this, or post pictures of my birds and see you gotta see t his cutie!!!!!

I am just kind of a spazzy and excited girl. Things excite me.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #95  
Hardware Hotshot

Well boo I went and read the whole thread and it seems everything I said was already said. Dontcha hate that? lol

I guess I am not unique *sniff

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

"My advice to anyone who is thinking about being a designer- choose a couple of companies that you really believe in and show others what they can do with those products. You don't have to be on 20 design teams to be "hot in the industry." What's hot to a stamp company is a designer's dedication to producing the best quality samples they can. If you are under the gun to produce 6 cards for 8 different companies every month, you barely have enough time to post them all and things start to overlap and it becomes a mess. ""

Oh my...Excellent advice!!! I have to say when I see a post with stamps I like, I want to know where I can buy that stamp. I have to know where I can buy that stamp!!!

http://www.blessedalatte.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #97  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by prayingmomView Post
"My advice to anyone who is thinking about being a designer- choose a couple of companies that you really believe in and show others what they can do with those products. You don't have to be on 20 design teams to be "hot in the industry." What's hot to a stamp company is a designer's dedication to producing the best quality samples they can. If you are under the gun to produce 6 cards for 8 different companies every month, you barely have enough time to post them all and things start to overlap and it becomes a mess. ""

Oh my...Excellent advice!!! I have to say when I see a post with stamps I like, I want to know where I can buy that stamp. I have to know where I can buy that stamp!!!
Here here! I too agree with Gina. fantastic advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 AM   #98  
Polyshrink Goddess

...and my 2 cents, not that anyone cares...

I am pretty new to all this blog stuff. I have a list of those that I love and I breeze through when I get the chance sucking up the eye candy. I see something that really turns my head, I go back and read the words. The words are interesting, I may click to see more... It's like watching TV. You don't like a program or care to look at commercials, you turn the channel or take a potty or kid check break!

Bottom line... You are in control of your time and your eyes... Use them wisely! Like I am one to talk (still sitting here reading and typing in my nightgown as life continues around me)...

Cheryl Kay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #99  
Mad Swapper

This thread is really old but I like the links - that way if I want to click - it's there. What I hate.....is when they reference a card or project on someone else's blog --- and give a link --- that is just to the blog and not to the actual POST on that blog where the project is. Maddening! I'm too lazy to hunt it down on my own. ;-) link, link, link!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #100  
Matboard Maniac

I have a few blogs - one is just for my Stampin Up business in the UK which I'm obviously trying to promote so it is all SU stuff. If people don't want to see SU I have another blog which is just for me and no hard sales - and no links. Mainly cause I'm still not sure how to do the links! LOL!

Great thread this though - got me thinking!

I don't mind people advertising their wares - I just won't go back to that blog if I think its only an advertising one and not a creative one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #101  
Crimping Master

According to Blogger, this is what a blog is:

"What's a blog?

A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

Your blog is whatever you want it to be. There are millions of them, in all shapes and sizes, and there are no real rules.

In simple terms, a blog is a web site, where you write stuff on an ongoing basis. New stuff shows up at the top, so your visitors can read what's new. Then they comment on it or link to it or email you. Or not.

Since Blogger was launched in 1999, blogs have reshaped the web, impacted politics, shaken up journalism, and enabled millions of people to have a voice and connect with others.

And we're pretty sure the whole deal is just getting started."

So if it's a personal space, your own pulpit, then it's individual and each person has a right to link as much as they want - and you have the right to choose to visit their blog and look at what they post or not. If you don't like how much they link, don't read their blog.

I myself think it's a courtesy to give credit where credit is due if I like a product or if I was inspired by someone. I kind of skim the links on most blogs if I'm checking out what they made and I'll slow down and really read them if there's a paper or stamp set or something that I think I might want.

I really don't think that we should be hard on anyone who provides links and seems to be promoting something they like. If we don't like it, we don't have to listen (or read).

I have a friend who recently opened a home decor store and I *love* it, so it seems that almost everytime I'm talking to another friend and home stuff comes up I mention something I *love* about the shop. I can't help it - I love my friend and I love her shop! That's linking in life!!

There, off my soapbox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #102  
Inking Addict

How do I create a Blog? Does it cost money? Does it just belong to only a certain group? I've seen some of them on this site and love it. But need more info. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #103  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Ok, don't start throwing rubber at me yet, but I can't be the only one who is thinking this. I look at a fair number of blogs. Now they are not all like this, but soooo many are and I am flying through them as fast as I can, looking at the card and then hightailing it out of there because I don't really want to read about the stamp set I "MUST HAVE". It seems that so many bloggers are advertising heavily for their design companies and while I understand their loyalty and the fact they want to spread the news, cannot it not be done a little more ?...I can't think of a word to use here. Maybe more understated?

All I keep reading is , "you MUST check out this stamp", "quick, race over to so and so's for a look at...." "if you haven't bought the latest ____stamps, click here" " you are going to love this...I can't stamp without it" and on and on it goes.

I love blogs and I love to look at the wonderful card designs on them. But I really hate this advertising. Maybe it's because I look at so many at once and it comes across as being excessive, when it isn't. I don't know. All I do know, is that I looked at 52 entries tonight and at least 25 were encouraging me to rush to such and such site so I would not miss out. Gorgeous ribbon, gorgeous stamps, gorgeous paper. A blogger who just blogs for creative purposes has a very different blog than a blogger who is promoting a company. I admit I like all these blogs. I just wish the advertising was kept to a minimum. But I don't have an answer on how to do this. Other than for me to not look at these blogs, which would be a shame.

Ok, you can start throwing some rubber now! My rant is over!;)
Denise,
No rubbah throwing!

I, as a DT member of ISC, have on occasion, put a link, when the company releases a new stamp sheet. I do this, because my email, (sometimes over 1000 messages overnight!), is full of blog readers questions about the stamp set I used in a "pre-view" card. There is no way, to nicely read and reply to all the emails, EVERYDAY.

So, I put up the link. That is probably why others do it...I confess, I haven't read all the other responses in this thread, so I'm sorry if I repeated anything.

However, I do not advertise for the other company. I have no logo on my site, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #104  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Crud...It looks like everything I said WAS here already...Sorry for boring you all! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #105  
Glitter Guru

I enjoy looking at blogs that promote different company's can't say my pocket book likes it though. I have dozens of blogs i look at on a daily basis and if i don't want to click on something that i choose not it. Its their blog and they can do as they want. I Love the blogs i go to...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #106  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I check out many of the blogs listed on this thread on a regular basis and I must say I blame these talented ladies for their wonderful cards that I tend to buy stuff I need, and I mean need!!! Actually I use their color and style ideas and try and incorporate my own stamps I have on hand to do the job just as well. I have a few blogs that over time I have deleted because they haven't excited me as much. Some of the blogs make cards that are totally not my style, but after a long day at work I enjoy just looking.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #107  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Product promotion doesn't bother me at all. No such thing as a free lunch, right? If the only cost for access to some awesome crafter's projects, tips, and chatter are some links that I can easily ignore or scroll past, I'm totally satisfied!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #108  
Pearl-ExPert

LOL. As I read through this thread, I found some fantastic blogs to click on! You ladies rock!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #109  
Rubber Obsessor

I saw that this is an older thread, but I can't help but chime in with a couple of thoughts, because I've had kind of a bad taste in my mouth recently with the blog-vertising. First off, it never occurred to me that I could look at the pictures without necessarily reading the words. DUH! The point has been made a couple of times that part of what is irksome is when you're left feeling hyped. I did direct sales for another company (not stamping) a few years ago and I saw consultants who tried to whip customers into a frenzy so they would buy, buy, buy without really realizing it. Like lemmings or something! Well, surprise, surprise, these were the same women who couldn't get people to take or return their phone calls for fear they would be trapped into buying more or :gasp: hosting an event. It's not the links that bother me, it's the tone of the sales pitch; tell me WHY I need it, not just that I need it. It's really obvious to your readers if there's no substance behind your pitch.

Another thing that sort of cut down on my irritation was the simple realization that there are a lot of companies out there doing monthly releases. A lot of these companies are new to me, so I have a retroactive wish list with them, plus the current releases, plus my SU wish list. It boils down to not being able to buy everything I think I want, much less everything I see! So that irritation, I just have to own. Realizing it helps a little, but it can still be frustrating to feel like you're being bombarded by "must haves" every where you turn.

Finally, I recently realized I don't actually *know* most of the bloggers I read, so I'm not letting them down if I don't buy everything.
{blog}
and eat chocolate. Not necessarily in that order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 06:29 PM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyRView Post
RFOL I just saw this......in real life I'm not an overly "gushy" person - but when it comes to stamping and all those goodies I AM - you should hear me on the phone with other stampers - all we talk is "OMG did you SEE the new ______???? ACK! I HAVE to have them!!!" (We're all rotten little enablers really ;)).

I know one particular blogger (who shall remain nameless) who is VERY upbeat and "gushy" and also tells it like it is - and she is EXACTLY like that in real life too - it's true what one of the previos replies on here said - you can really get to know a person's personality through their writing!!

And I dunno about the whole cute and famous part - but I'll definitely take the compliment!! :mrgreen:
LOL - this is so true, shall we agree to chat about my SU order tomorrow...:p
Old 01-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #111  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, shoot. I was thinking this was going to be an ENTIRELY different rant. :mrgreen: I don't get annoyed at the blogs telling me where to get various things. I guess overkill of it could be tiresome, but I mostly just skip stuff if I feel pressured. (I'm a rebel and all...LOL) What I don't like about some of the blogs that I like are their designs. Eeee...I'm a blog designer...and I have to sometimes try really hard to look past the first impression of someone's blog even if all their cards and projects are super cute. I'm...I'm a blog design snob. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 AM   #112  
Glitter Queen

If I don't include not only brands, but where things can be found, I come home from work to dozens and dozens of emails begging for the information. Also, I prefer blogs that give me the information I want. If I love a blog, I usually love the products they use and want sources, prices, and places to get good deals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't think the initial post was referring to links in sentences..which it seems everyone agrees is Ok...but to over-advertising of porducts.

Another point I did not see mentioned is the fact that it was always assumed that most stamps were from Stampin' Up therefore you did not have to link to them.

Now there are so many new and fresh faces taking a huge chunk from the Stampin' Up market.

Even though I am a hobby demo I buy LOTS of stuff from other companies now!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #114  
Rubber Obsessor

I have noticed all the plugs for different companies. I have subscribed to a lot of blog feeds. I generally check out the photos and tutorials. Anything really with how-to's. I ignore the hype that I have got to have such and such product. It is neat to have a link to products there so that I can research a product that I don't have. I would think that if I became a demo then I would also share with others where to find my product through a blog too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2 thoughts come to mind (I have not read this entire thread...)

First, I never come home to dozens of emails on where to get the stuff on my blog!!! HA! My stuff doesn't generate that kind of buzz!

Second, I don't mind blogs with promotional posts AS LONG AS the blogger identifies him or herself as a design team member or someone with an affiliation with the company.

A fabulous stamper who can take a stamp or tool or embellishment (that I would never consider buying) and create a gem and tell me how to do it and where to buy it is wonderful!!!! I need the creativity and inspiration of others and don't care if they are compensated. They deserve it!

However, regardless of whether the blogger is obligated by contract to specifically promote the products on his or her blog, I expect the Blogger to reveal the connection. I consider it the ethical thing to do....

I'm not aware of any bloggers who haven't been upfront about their connections (but how would I know??!! duh..)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #116  
Watercolor Wizard

I usually just look and don't read ;)
On my blog - which I do for myself and an occassional plug for my store you can just look at a card and read about crime...

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #117  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Just my humble opinion.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Great post Gina!

I haven't read every single post on this thread. In my case, I'm a Stampin' Up! demonstrator and although I will list the products in the post I type and tell people that they can purchase the products from me, I will only say "this is very versatile, I love it" if I really really do love it and think it's versatile. For example, the Stampin' Up! Weathered Background - I use it a lot, I mention that on my blog, but I really do use it a lot and think it's awesome. Other products I use I won't say anything much other than "this is what I've used" even though I do enjoy using them. I save my "raving" for stuff that I'm super passionate about. Having said that, I haven't put anything on my blog that I don't enjoy using.

I suppose I don't blog surf enough to have seen a large amount of people "over promoting" or whatever they're doing, but I thought I'd tell my story.

Cheers,
Angela
www.angelasargeant.com
Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
(Australia)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #118  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperBlackView Post
If I don't include not only brands, but where things can be found, I come home from work to dozens and dozens of emails begging for the information. Also, I prefer blogs that give me the information I want. If I love a blog, I usually love the products they use and want sources, prices, and places to get good deals!
Hey, what's your blog addie, Cooperblack? I'd love to check it out.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #119  
Stampin' Fool

What an incredible thread. Somehow I missed this one. I have to say that a blog is your personal space. Many people will share what they want in that personal space. If a person likes what the blogger is sharing they subscribe. If they don't they unsubscribe. As a blogger, crafter, design team member and well maybe an enabler too, I share because I want to share. Yes, as a DT member, I have loyalty to the company I design for...and of course I am going to share the new things. Part of the reason I subscribe to blogs is to find out what is new. I have a rubbah addiction...so it only makes sense that I check out blogs to find out the newest items. I LOVE that bloggers enable. I LOVE that they share where they purchase things. Because if I want it, I want to know where to buy it. Nothing annoys me more than trying to figure out where something came from.
I think it is fair to have an opinion in this department but if you are really annoyed by it, then unsubscribe to those blogs. You don't have to subject yourself to anything you don't want. I for one want it!

My Blog
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #120  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by themilesmumView Post
What an incredible thread. Somehow I missed this one. I have to say that a blog is your personal space. Many people will share what they want in that personal space. If a person likes what the blogger is sharing they subscribe. If they don't they unsubscribe. As a blogger, crafter, design team member and well maybe an enabler too, I share because I want to share. Yes, as a DT member, I have loyalty to the company I design for...and of course I am going to share the new things. Part of the reason I subscribe to blogs is to find out what is new. I have a rubbah addiction...so it only makes sense that I check out blogs to find out the newest items. I LOVE that bloggers enable. I LOVE that they share where they purchase things. Because if I want it, I want to know where to buy it. Nothing annoys me more than trying to figure out where something came from.
I think it is fair to have an opinion in this department but if you are really annoyed by it, then unsubscribe to those blogs. You don't have to subject yourself to anything you don't want. I for one want it!
Well said, my friend!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes